• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

It's more the fact that it's placing importance on womens breasts and not, you know, their lives?

I guess I just don't see a problem with that when it comes to a little video like this that's meant to be for a bit of puerile entertainment while raising dosh for a good cause. Now if it was a documentary about breast cancer and all it consisted of was motorboating breasts and cleavage shots, then I'd be concerned. But for a silly video like this? Eh, I can let a bit of perverted sillyness slide.

There's plenty of media both online and even on TV every now and then that focus on people having to live and deal with cancer, the terrifying reality that a persons life hangs in the balance, and the effects it has on the family and friends of the person who has it. I do wish that more awareness would be raised for early cancer prevention. I see the ocassional ad every few months for that, but it's nowhere near enough. I get checked at least once every few months, shame more people aren't as well educated on the matter.

Wazzy

Banned
I guess I just don't see a problem with that when it comes to a little video like this that's meant to be for a bit of puerile entertainment while raising dosh for a good cause. Now if it was a documentary about breast cancer and all it consisted of was motorboating breasts and cleavage shots, then I'd be concerned. But for a silly video like this? Eh, I can let a bit of perverted sillyness slide.

There's plenty of media both online and even on TV every now and then that focus on people having to live and deal with cancer, the terrifying reality that a persons life hangs in the balance, and the effects it has on the family and friends of the person who has it. I do wish that more awareness would be raised for early cancer prevention. I see the ocassional ad every few months for that, but it's nowhere near enough. I get checked at least once every few months, shame more people aren't as well educated on the matter.
These youtubers are notorious for their skeevy videos where they sexually harass women. They'll stick their face in womens breasts without permission.

They put this video out, make it all about the breasts and then use incentive donation to get views, money and pressure women into letting them motorboat them.

Not to say all women felt pressured but it's still there.

These youtubers are notorious for their skeevy videos where they sexually harass women. They'll stick their face in womens breasts without permission.

They put this video out, make it all about the breasts and then use incentive donation to get views, money and pressure women into letting them motorboat them.

Not to say all women felt pressured but it's still there.

Just watched the "Drunk Times With" videos and my god those guys are sleazy, horrible pricks in those, cringeworthily so. But I still can't let that detract too much from the donation videos, even if the motorboat one was sleazy. It didn't look like they just nosedived into womens racks in that video at least, unlike there other shit videos. I especially liked that one where they hand out a load of cash to people who work shitty minimum wage trudgery jobs. I had to work one of those for 3 years straight.

It's a shame a lot of people just can't say no to this kind of stuff if they're not comfortable with it, or feel pressured, there's always that stigma that refusing to do something while on camera will paint you as the most horrible person ever, but you should never let that detract from your own self respect, and your dignity. Seems with social media now taking priority in our day to day lives, people are afraid they'll offend the majority if they don't comply to stuff like this.

Personally, if somebody pressured me into allowing somebody to motorboat my rack for chaity and I was uncomfortable with that I'd just say "No thanks, not too comfortable with that, but here's £20 for the cause, have a good one fellas" then be on my merry way. But hey, none of us never really act the same when put it situations like that eh?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah. I'm done there. What drove me out was that, apparently because we're not representative of "most women," our views don't count.

Whateva.
I hear that one so many times, you have no idea. As a metalhead and a gamer, if I ever say something "as a woman", I'm told I don't count because "most women aren't like you". I hear that all the time even from my own brother. Sigh.

Add in
Liu-Yifei.jpg
Goddamn. Perfection. So jealous. -)

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Looks like we're finally getting the point across in that shaving thread now. Hope everyone will give it a look again.

Wazzy

Banned
You guys are doing great. I just don't have the time to participate a lot in the thread but it's going in a much better direction than I thought it would.

Kisaya

I didn't bother reading the shaving thread. I would have gotten really angry since it's always been an insecurity of mine :/

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Thanks, we're really trying to help these guys. This stuff will benefit their future kids, you know? Even if they can't do it for us, think about how upsetting it would be to learn your little girl was told she was gross for developing and becoming a young lady...

I have a 14 year old sister who's in that stage now and I told her about the awesome guys on here standing up for women with body hair and their freedom to not shave. It was heartwarming to see her smile.

I'm finally getting around to watching all the shows I put off watching for years.

True Detective right now. So good. After that Spartacus. I want to watch it now but I've committed myself to True Detective. Spartacus will be my reward. Is the show as hot as the previews and pictures I've seen would leave me to believe?

Thanks, we're really trying to help these guys. This stuff will benefit their future kids, you know? Even if they can't do it for us, think about how upsetting it would be to learn your little girl was told she was gross for developing and becoming a young lady...

I have a 14 year old sister who's in that stage now and I told her about the awesome guys on here standing up for women with body hair and their freedom to not shave. It was heartwarming to see her smile.

hope your 14 years old sister will reach a more tolerant and progressive world by the time she reaches adulthood

<3

that poster, "dude", from that thread = amazing

miney, i wanna get on that spartacus bandwagon tooooooo but im still finishing agents of shield atm.... aaaaaaaa so many series to catch up on x___x

Koriandrr

Am I too late for the hot guys wave?

Here's my contribution:

314x407.jpg

Kristofer Hivju, a.k.a. Tormund from GoT a.k.a. that badass wildling dude.
Beards are really my kinda thing. Wouldn't say no to a ginger either.

And on women side:
Olivia-Wilde-HD-Wallpapers-6.jpg

Olivia Wilde any day.

Mono

I didn't know there was a ladygaf thread, hello everyone! \o/ I hope I can post here?

Does anyone else use Reddit?

I love Reddit because it leads me to insanely discounted PC games to throw the remnants of my wallet at, but I also hate Reddit because it's a hiveminded breeding ground of shockingly backwards misogonistic and racist circlejerkery that I can't put up with any longer. Niche communities are sometimes okay there, but not really.

Every day for the past few months, I'll see something mind-boggling stupid on Reddit and then swear I'll never go there again, but then somehow end up back there. Love/hate to the max!

Definitely!

I'm in my 20's now and I distinctly remember my uncle telling me when I was really young and starting to get hairy legs that I looked like a monkey, and as stupid as it is, it still hurts my feelings today when I think about it.

I admire you women for fighting all that bullshit. I get angry/demoralized enough reading those threads. Especially after that Santa Barbara thread I've tried to just ignore them.

Seriously. I get angry just reading topic titles like that. I made the mistake of venturing into the first page of that thread. I ragequit instead of arguing; maybe I should venture back in and say something.

Koriandrr

I love Reddit because it leads me to insanely discounted PC games to throw the remnants of my wallet at, but I also hate Reddit because it's a hiveminded breeding ground of shockingly backwards misogonistic and racist circlejerkery that I can't put up with any longer. Niche communities are sometimes okay there, but not really.

Every day for the past few months, I'll see something mind-boggling stupid on Reddit and then swear I'll never go there again, but then somehow end up back there. Love/hate to the max!

Same here. I love reddit in general, but hate the /r/girlgamer community or majority of the girls communities there. VERY hivemind. It's where I got most of my downvotes.

Mono

Same here. I love reddit in general, but hate the /r/girlgamer community or majority of the girls communities there. VERY hivemind. It's where I got most of my downvotes.

Yeah, I've tried posting in /r/girlgamer a few times but something feels weird about it to me. Maybe because it's still Reddit? Even though it's small, there's no sense of community on a forum like that.

soepje

A bit OT, but i really like it that more and more women/girls seem to be signing up here, evening things out a little.

Actually kind of curious what the m to f ratio is by now.

I'm not a huge fan of armpit hair on myself. As such, I'm always on the look out for razors that are good for that area. I recommend trying something like this one. They're expensive but they're so great.

I usually use This one For shaving (mostly for the trimmer) and it works good for all my other body parts except there. But I'll try that one to see if I yield better results :)

I'm not a huge fan of armpit hair on myself. As such, I'm always on the look out for razors that are good for that area. I recommend trying something like this one. They're expensive but they're so great.

that an awesome looking razor

i... however, cant get over how they got the title wrong on that page.... Inuition, it says, on my top bar... hehehe

:>

Yakkue

Has anybody here tried hair removal cremes like Veet before? I tried it a couple of weeks ago but it had no effect whatsoever :(
I'll stick to shaving / using an epilator.

Has anybody here tried hair removal cremes like Veet before? I tried it a couple of weeks ago but it had no effect whatsoever :(

I've tried it. It works on legs, and arms and armpits really good. I wouldn't take it to my most sensitive areas though. The only downside is sometimes it takes forever to take off hair, in my cases. I barely have hair but for some reason I have to always go pass the 4 minute preferred time.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
A bit OT, but i really like it that more and more women/girls seem to be signing up here, evening things out a little.

Actually kind of curious what the m to f ratio is by now.

Me too. This thread seems to be so active these days, it's great!

I didn't know there was a ladygaf thread, hello everyone! o/ I hope I can post here?

Definitely!

I'm in my 20's now and I distinctly remember my uncle telling me when I was really young and starting to get hairy legs that I looked like a monkey, and as stupid as it is, it still hurts my feelings today when I think about it.

Seriously. I get angry just reading topic titles like that. I made the mistake of venturing into the first page of that thread. I ragequit instead of arguing; maybe I should venture back in and say something.

Hello!!

Sorry, reddit is alien to me.

I've tried it. It works on legs, and arms and armpits really good. I wouldn't take it to my most sensitive areas though. The only downside is sometimes it takes forever to take off hair, in my cases. I barely have hair but for some reason I have to always go pass the 4 minute preferred time.

I did epilate for a while but yup it took me ages as well.

Yakkue

I actually had it on for nearly 10 minutes the second time, still no better results =( Guess it just doesn't work for my type of hair then. (I only tried it on my legs)

I only epilate when I can do something else at the same time (listening to an audiobook / podcast etc), otherwise that would be too time-consuming for me as well.

Incredible image
Wow, you're extremely talented! How long did that take you?

Thanks <3 An hour or so? That's why her face is so messed up. Ugh. Will fix tomorrow. Maybe.

Dragons, awwww just glad you likey <3 I was a huge Dany fan when the series began but she's losing her grip on me lately :3 Here's wishing for a return to form for the Mother of Dragon next season~

Thanks <3 An hour or so? That's why her face is so messed up. Ugh. Will fix tomorrow. Maybe.

Dragons, awwww just glad you likey <3 I was a huge Dany fan when the series began but she's losing her grip on me lately :3 Here's wishing for a return to form for the Mother of Dragon next season~

I guess we'll find out!

I've actually been trying to get into drawing. Any tips?

Bkwmatx.jpg

i messed up her face ;__;

specially for dragi, cuz, personally, im still doubtful of her place as Queen of Westeros :3

I love this!!! I'm jelly I can't draw as good as this, and probably never will be :(. But this is super amazing. She looks like she could be in a comic book. I really like her face too. It's has this fierce look to it.

Oh boy. After trying that, never again. It was time consuming and half the time couldn't catch my smallest hairs. Never again haha

I actually had it on for nearly 10 minutes the second time, still no better results =( Guess it just doesn't work for my type of hair then. (I only tried it on my legs)

I only epilate when I can do something else at the same time (listening to an audiobook / podcast etc), otherwise that would be too time-consuming for me as well.

Yup. I find veet to be very conservative in time and effectiveness. Plus it's less harsh and heavy like Nair however it takes forever. But I think they must of changed something significant in Nair because back then it was super strong but now, it's very toned down. The smell is still too strong though.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Veet/Nair aren't any better than shaving I find. Plus the smell is awful.

Waxing works the best since it lasts longer but I don't have the patience for it. And it hurts.

I guess we'll find out!

I've actually been trying to get into drawing. Any tips?

I eyeball everything. But my serious artist friends told me this is the wrong approach.

There's very good guides to drawing online. The staple and GOAT teacher is Andrew Loomis, of course.

As for my personal tips, I usually try to find artist whose style or subject matter aligns with mine and then I try to emulate it.

Some people find using references help. I find it stifling :< so I can never do a proper portrait based on real people cuz I dont have the hand-to-eye coordination for it. My base was comic arts, so yeah, it's still shown ... i think.

And getting critics help, but it depends on the critic too. Something that's too harsh is bound to demoralize instead of inspire haha... Drawing is equal portion of fun and pain for me .___.

yesh, cant wait for next season of GoT. still so long to go. my friends are trying to make me read the books now. but i read book 1 and 2 a long time ago and they were good but the series is more enjoyable for me.

@aya, pishposh. im sure you're mucho better than me <3 everyone brings a different style and expression. i dont think im any good tbh, but i think the only way to get better is to keep at it and to put stuff out there for feedbacks.

thankoo though. very appreciated <3333

Kimaka

I didn't know there was a ladygaf thread, hello everyone! \o/ I hope I can post here?

Occasionally. I tend to stick to the /r/thesims. I don't like the format of reddit though the Enhancement Suite makes it tolerable.

Yeah, I should too. Staying silent won't help them understand my pov.

I've tried Nair. Never again. It smelled funny and burned. D:

Bkwmatx.jpg

i messed up her face ;__;

specially for dragi, cuz, personally, im still doubtful of her place as Queen of Westeros :3

Pretty! You draw so well. All this GoT talk is reminding me to finish season 4.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Veet/Nair aren't any better than shaving I find. Plus the smell is awful.

Waxing works the best since it lasts longer but I don't have the patience for it. And it hurts.

I had my legs waxed at a salon maybe 6 years ago and they seem to have permanently damaged my leg skin. It's uber sensitive now and any kind of hair removal makes it itch like you wouldnt believe - way beyond what I can handle. Gentle shaving seems to be the only thing I can do now and even then has to be really infrequent and with loads and loads of moisturising afterwards. Sucks.

PS YesNO just seen your drawing, it's amazing! I wish I could draw too, I got Loomis 's how to have fun with a pencil. So far so slow but good!

soepje

I recently bought a Philips lumea. You basically laser yourself with it, and after using it once every two weeks for some time your hair grow will be reduced drastically. After those first few times you just have to laser once a month for upkeep. It's supposed to be ok for use on sensitive skin too.

I´m still not sure if it's really worth it to buy it though, it was about 350 euro and now that i´m preggo i´m not even allowed to use it. But I heard some great stories about the thing, and it would be pretty awesome if it actually works the way it promises to do. Once a month is not that much of a hassle compared shaving every other day, and in the end it would catch up in money spent on razors and shaving cream. At least that way my train of thought when getting it. (I'd never wax, that hurts :p!)

That drawing is ace btw!

Cat

I go to Reddit too. I didn't even know there was a girl gamer community. I sub to a bajillion subs but hardly any defaults. I tend to check out stuff like frugal and personal finance but during the NBA finals, I'd visit the Spurs or NBA subreddits more often.

On subject of Nair, that's what I first tried as a teenager since I was scared of cutting myself shaving. After a few times, I decided it was not for me. These days, I just shave when I'm good and ready, thank you, and husband is supportive of that.

On the subject of the shaving thread, I sort of rage-quit at first too given the first post and then the subsequent quotes of it but ventured when I saw it still active for a time. I made one small supportive post but am reading some of the continued discussion.

Samara

@YesandNo your drawing is gorgeous. :3

As for body hair, veet/nair makes my legs hair grow slower than shaving. The 3 minutes shower one has to be left about 8+minutes.

There's also inhibitif https://inhibitif.com/home but turns out you have to shave everyday for 28 days or so. to see results

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I use electric shavers myself (Braun or Philips usually, whatever's on sale or available whenever I need to replace it every few years). Never used anything else. Well, actually no, I tried an electric epilator once, and it hurt like hell, and I didn't think it really lasted long enough to be worth it compared to the shaver. I never even used a razor, lol... maybe I should try it, it's probably more efficient, but I'm lazy as hell.

YesNo, you have amazing talent. An hour to draw that? Jesus, in an hour I'd barely manage more than a doodle. Dany looks badass there, great job!

suzu

Hair removal is annoying, because I have sensitive skin. :( Exfoliating and maintenance is also a pain. If I can get away with it (like when it's cold), then I don't bother.

YesNOnoNOYes, your drawing looks so great! I love her expression. :D

Kinsei

Banned
Shaving sucks. but I love the feel of my legs afterwards so I think it's worth it.

Do any of you girls really dislike the "waifu" trend when it comes to games with more than one female character? I realize that most of the people in those threads are just joking, but I really dislike it whne people say that x female character is only in the game for men to fawn ofer. Even if it is true, I'd prefer not to be reminded of it.

Kisaya

I've done literally every hair removal :( Now I just stick to threading/waxing/shaving depending on the area of my body. It's still a pain in the ass and expensive as fuck. If I ever make a lot of money I'm investing on something permanent...

Kinsei

Banned
Bleh.

On that thread, some pretty stupid shit was said. One guy claimed that once you pluck a hair away, it's GONE FOREVER AND WILL NEVER GROW BACK, therefore everyone with hair are just lazy shavers.

Fuck do these people what the fuck I don't even what.

I'm reading through that thread now, and it's just ugh.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
There's some really helpful guys in there tho, that's for sure. Infinite has really been calling out some of these guys on their BS. And I'm really glad the mods are in there now too.

Everyone should really pay attention to the OP instead of rushing to conclusions. They see women taking back power and they play on insecurities. That's cold. :(

There's some really helpful guys in there tho, that's for sure. Infinite has really been calling out some of these guys on their BS. And I'm really glad the mods are in there now too.

Everyone should really pay attention to the OP instead of rushing to conclusions. They see women taking back power and they play on insecurities. That's cold. :(

I haven't had the opportunity to get in there much today, but I think it's natural for people to automatically jump to conclusions without reading the OP. I mean, I still think their opinions are terrible, but it seems more like a case of ignorance than anything else.

Aiustis

Sometimes I wax my legs, but only because I like the way it feels to pull out the hair. I prefer the fuzzy feel of my leg hair. And I never touch my pits because they are already sensitive as hell.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Shaving sucks. but I love the feel of my legs afterwards so I think it's worth it.

Do any of you girls really dislike the "waifu" trend when it comes to games with more than one female character? I realize that most of the people in those threads are just joking, but I really dislike it whne people say that x female character is only in the game for men to fawn ofer. Even if it is true, I'd prefer not to be reminded of it.

I may sound pretty ignorant here (won't be the first time) but I find most modern Japanese games to be pretty...umm...creepy. There's a lot of infantilisation and just a general feel of perviness. But I'm biased because I hate JRPGs too. I'm the one person in the whole world who thinks Persona 4 Golden is rubbish.

I don't mind the waifu trend... If boys want to feel potentially more attraction to an imaginary character than to any real girls, well, no skin off my nose.

But I find the "hnnnggg" reaction to pictures of real women to be offensive. Those women didn't all sign up to be the focus of random males sexual fantasies. Excepting the porn stars I suppose.

I totally understand where you are coming from, but as someone in a same-sex relationship and fairly familiar (only fairly, mind) with the gay culture around where I live, you might be surprised to hear plenty of women take the same tone about women too! I agree with Dragonz tbh, if it's just innocent fun it's not so bad. It's not hard for it to cross over into skanky / creepiness though.

Aiustis

I may sound pretty ignorant here (won't be the first time) but I find most modern Japanese games to be pretty...umm...creepy. There's a lot of infantilisation and just a general feel of perviness. But I'm biased because I hate JRPGs too. I'm the one person in the whole world who thinks Persona 4 Golden is rubbish.[/B

One of two people :D. Though I do like a few jrpgs. I think most of them now days seem like crappy fan service.

Karkador

Banned
I may sound pretty ignorant here (won't be the first time) but I find most modern Japanese games to be pretty...umm...creepy. There's a lot of infantilisation and just a general feel of perviness. But I'm biased because I hate JRPGs too. I'm the one person in the whole world who thinks Persona 4 Golden is rubbish.

I feel like discussing/criticising Japanese games is a minefield with NeoGAF users. It's tough. Before you can even approach the topic of women in Japanese games, you have to fight an uphill battle against a anime-avatar'd swarm of people (who probably like more than just one type of thing from Japan), and who very often want to frame your grievances as being out of touch with Japanese culture (or just plain racist), or misunderstanding the niche tastes of others, or just wanting to step on the underdog game market because you love Call of Duty so much, or something.

Fine. Even though I was a pretty huge Japanophile in high school, I have to concede to some degree that maybe I'm being a Western Old Man Yelling At Clouds, and leave the kids alone to their favorite things.

But what I often find in those threads is a startling lack of self-awareness in how people outside their clique look at things. There was a thread recently (that is now closed), about a very over-the-top sensationalist article about about the over-the-top, sensationalist game Akiba Strip. Garbage in, garbage out,I guess?

But aside from the usual suspects in those threads, the really annoying part was having the XSEED PR/Marketing guy in the thread (as he has done in other threads about their recent games), pulling a Baghdad Bob routine about how people just "don't get it", that these games often have really amazing stories if you look past the T&A, and people unfortunately don't realize the game is not just about stripping girls to defeat them. "If only the game's marketing could accurately reflect that", says the game's marketing person.

There was also a line by him about how the "sexy girls who are supposedly 18, but look much younger" is basically just meta-commentary now, and people say "we don't talk about that" as a joke, not as an evasion to dealing with your fandom's own mess.

I don't know what to say to it.

Top Bottom