• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah for example I think Squiddy has been banned multiple times but he's never perm'd even though he is a permanent junior.

Yeah for example I think Squiddy has been banned multiple times but he's never perm'd even though he is a permanent junior.

Faux-juniors are exempt from that trend. It's only first-time juniors that are perma-banned on their first shot.

The mods occasionally show mercy, though, and I can't imagine that bsb went unnoticed until now, so.

Wazzy

Banned
Faux-juniors are exempt from that trend. It's only first-time juniors that are perma-banned on their first shot.

The mods occasionally show mercy, though, and I can't imagine that bsb went unnoticed until now, so.

They are? Huh. I didn't know that. I always thought it was one of the consequences that came with being perm junior'd. I guess thread privileges is the only one.

besada

Banned

Wazzy

Banned
Except when we forget to check their file, assume they're real juniors, and permaban them anyway. Usually they send a note to someone and it gets fixed. Usually.

Edit: Also, this is a great article -- http://pamelaclark.tumblr.com/post/87113711124/35-practical-tools-for-men-to-further-feminist
Haha that's pretty interesting. Understandable though.

I'll give the article a read since it sounds good.
besada weren't you demodded tho

Don't believe Thanos's lies!

Yrael

Tell me about it. :/

my-brain-just-went-what-the-hell.gif

meow

Ladies, bit of a rant and would love some feedback.

One of my roommates was working in California for the summer and we were trying to decide what to do with our month off before school starts again in September. We ultimately settled on me just meeting her in CA because it's her first time there for work, we're poor students, and I have friends all around that we can crash with making the stay super cheap. Plus, between socal and Bay Area and everything in between, seems like there's a lot to do.

A month ago, I'm trying to plan my trip out there and she's being kind of unenthusiastic, so I straight up ask her if she's having second thoughts, because I need to get the tickets booked and let my friends know, etc etc, and that she needs to say so because I would plan accordingly (not stay as long, basically). She just tells me, why would she be having second thoughts, of course she wants to stay, she met a guy and she wants more time with him, etc. So I booked my plane tickets, she doesn't have to do anything but pay a change fee to move her flight back 2 weeks or so. I set her up with one of my friends so she has someplace free to stay before I get there. She doesn't actually change her flight plans but as she says, she can do that whenever.

Now, she's been having some issues with her summer lease every since she moved in (basically, she lives with a crazy person). I've been trying to figure out wtf she's doing so I can make more concrete plans about when I get there, but she texts me yesterday (5 days before I fly out), she still hasn't changed her flight plans, says she got evicted and has been staying in a hotel for the past week, it's cost her close to $1k and she's not sure if she can stay anymore. I feel like I can't be like...well, you SAID you'd be there so suck it up honey and pay the change fee and keep me company, but I am mildly pissed. I do have friends out there but they all work so I can't hang out with anyone during the day, I can't cancel the trip now, 4 days before, so I basically have to fly out there and be by myself.

Also, when she started having serious problems with her summer roommate (her roommate is legitimately horrible, but she didn't exactly help the situation either, she was acting really passive aggressive back), I even offered to ask some of my friends if she could just stay the last week with them instead, I guaranteed they would not care. She said she thought about it, but decided to just stick it out her last week. So I'm also upset because if she just would have told me, she could have avoided this whole hotel nonsense. I haven't responded because I'm afraid I'm just going to be angry because it feels like she totally ditched me.

Am I being unreasonable? Give it to me straight, girl-gaf.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh my god that street harassment thread.
This thread, dear gods...

I must be very lucky because that pretty much never happens to me. I can't imagine what it must be like to be harassed rampantly like that, ugh. Does it depend on the place you live in, like poverty levels maybe? I'm not rich but I do live in a "nicer" part of town, I wonder if that's a factor.

Edit:
Women are asking us to have some restraint. Personally I'm ok with that request as long as it isn't a printed message. Besides a woman doesn't have to wear provocative clothing to get calls. They just need to be remotely good looking. Trust me on this one.
Well then.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's not it :)
The first time I ever got catcalled I was 12 yrs old and way across the street. It only mattered that I was visibly female.
Hah, I know. I was mostly being sarcastic towards wildfire (who appears well-intended but kinda clueless in this thread... -_-).

It probably is more related to the amount of foot traffic and how much people live their life outdoors, which is a lot less in suburbia than urban spots.
I live in an urban area, but a mostly "nice" part of town, I'd say, and I worked in an expensive but touristy area (the old Montreal) and I've been in various parts of town though I rarely go in the scummier or poorer parts, at least not by myself. Maybe there's some truth about the stereotype of Canadians being polite or something... :p but in all honesty I'm probably just very lucky.

This thread, dear gods...

I must be very lucky because that pretty much never happens to me. I can't imagine what it must be like to be harassed rampantly like that, ugh. Does it depend on the place you live in, like poverty levels maybe? I'm not rich but I do live in a "nicer" part of town, I wonder if that's a factor.

Certain streets are known areas for street walking and then assholes act like every woman walking down the street should be disrespected.

Some areas are just zones where you don't want to be but it's on your way to work so what can you do.

meow

However, you have a perfect right to be annoyed. It does affect you. Nothing wrong with having feelings. Still, you'll be better off if you do forgive her and really let your friendship move on from it.

I once had a seminar in a tourist town that I needed to attend. I invited a friend to stay with me in order to halve the hotel costs. She said yes, but cancelled. (She's a total flake and I never relied on her coming anyway). I had a great time being able to do whatever I wanted with no consideration for what she would find fun. I met people, I went walking and photographed things, I explored art galleries etc. You can recover your trip and make it awesome, and the more warning you have, the better you can plan it out.

Thanks for the reply! I had a good rant about it to another friend and she's had the same complaints. She's otherwise a very good friend and roommate, just, as you said, so flakey. We just won't make plans in the future relying on her, I guess.

gugi40

That's not it :)
The first time I ever got catcalled I was 12 yrs old and way across the street. It only mattered that I was visibly female.

It probably is more related to the amount of foot traffic and how much people live their life outdoors, which is a lot less in suburbia than urban spots.

You know whats funny, I got way more cat calls when I was in elementary school and early high-school then now, I think the world may be changing a little bit...I mean guys in trucks still scream nonsense that is not even words, so...I don't know.

That thread made me tired as hell, just repeating ourselves to guys that don't understand anything.

The Feminism for men thread ...I took a look and was like...'no way too tired for this shit'.

someday

Banned
The street thread may be bad, but nothing near as bad as the ideas for male feminists thread. Whoo!

This especially made me really sad today. Am I overreacting or is this a really bad example to set? : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123738227&postcount=120

You aren't overreacting. I've just avoided OT today. The feminism/sexism threads always make me unhappy. These are the same posters who show more empathy for Elliot Rogers and pedophiles than they do for women.

someday

Banned
Sorry, the situation I'm thinking of was with someone else, not Anti. I'm sure that a measured response would be fine and it probably needs to be said, though I've mostly stayed out of that thread.

Some of the comments in that Christina Aguilera thread - eugh. It's great to see a mod trying to tackle the truly gross crap, but I think it's a lost cause. Why do some guys think other people are interested in what they masturbate to?

It could have become a discussion about the representation of pregnant women in art and media, but that ship sailed a ling time ago.

ohaaaaaaaaaai girlgaf \o/

i just finally got back from japan

so tired ;__; tomorrow already work day again ;__;

will catch up on the harassment thread and male feminist thread now... wah, lots of stuff to read through~

Some of the comments in that Christina Aguilera thread - eugh. It's great to see a mod trying to tackle the truly gross crap, but I think it's a lost cause. Why do some guys think other people are interested in what they masturbate to?

It could have become a discussion about the representation of pregnant women in art and media, but that ship sailed a ling time ago.

"Yo, breh, what's up, breh? Isn't that preg women so totally hot, brah? Yo, bro..."

I love the way besada came in and cleaned up that thread.

Cat

What's going on in it?

Poster of a victimized woman shown with the text "One in three reported rapes happens when the victim has been drinking."

Many responses of something like, "That's not victim blaming. That's just telling women to be careful," again and again and again and again and again.

Top Bottom