• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Wow, stop the FF9 hate.

Top 5 game of all time. Haters only wish they were that good.

1341885874_Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

Cat

Hey GirlGAF, here’s some feminist/women related articles I’ve read lately or skimmed in some cases.

WIRED: This Is What Tech’s Ugly Gender Problem Really Looks Like

The Mary Sue: 5 Feminist Lessons Little Girls Can Learn from Gravity Falls and Mabel Pines

The Telegraph: 'Sexist' music videos should be age restricted, says report ***

PBS News Hour: How ‘Lehman Siblings’ might have stemmed the financial crisis

Julie Dillon's Tumblr: suggested Guardians of the Galaxy changes to make it less sexist

***I am genuinely curious on your thoughts (well, that's true for all articles, but if you only bother to address one, I'd like to know, it is among the shortest as well, referring to the starred music video article in case that's not clear) .

Cat

Haven't seen GotG yet because I was worried about how it might treat its one and only female characters.

I noticed one of the reblogs on that post that actually commented on it said the first draft had been written by a woman, then a male writer got a hold of it and tacked on some of the very things complained about, hence why they seem tacked on. I'm not familiar with the production to know if that was true.

There was a topic here at GAF the other day that brought up the noticeably missing Gamora merchandise (with an example T-shirt that showed the other members like they were cards, even duplicating some of them when there's another member, her, that could easily fit).

The only Gamora complaint I had was that they underpowered her (well Drax too, but Gamora is arguably the bigger victim). Without revealing much, there's scenes where instead of doing what she's famous for (murdering people without so much as a blink), she...well, doesn't...and instead lets other characters take charge.

Still a good movie either way, but I never like it when characters get underpowered in movie adaptations, particularly Gamora (from what people have told me about her comic history).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm kinda glad I hate superhero comic books (and related movies/TV/etc), because that way I don't get as infuriated at the rampant sexism in them. I'm already weary of the shitty representation in other media, and superhero stuff is even worse.

Pau

pau who is that woman in your avatar she's like totes hawt asking innocently
yeah let me just point you in the right direction to finding more pictures of her ;)
Y'all. New celeb crush.
Watch Parks and Rec and Everwood!

Also, Mucha's works are super gorgeous *_____*
I wanna put up one of his pieces in the living room but there are too many amazing pieces to choose from!

I would strongly, strongly advise against that if you value your sanity. :p

Have you played (and enjoyed) a jRPG before? If so, you might like some FF games. The good ones are all pre-7. 7 itself is pretty good, but a bit overrated. 4-5-6 are better. :) The others after 7 can all die in a fire, I reckon.
I really like SRPGs like Fire Emblem. And I used to like the old Digimon jRPGs when I was younger. I played the beginning of FFIII but it couldn't hold my interest for like more than ten minutes. <<

:D

:DDDDDDD

DoitDoitDoitDoitDoitDoit

YOU SHH.

With our trusty help she'll have no problem getting into it.
Haha, well, you're always so enthusiastic about it!

I would tell Pau to just play FF9, but holy shit are those battles slow.
Kark knows how impatient I am. :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I really like SRPGs like Fire Emblem. And I used to like the old Digimon jRPGs when I was younger. I played the beginning of FFIII but it couldn't hold my interest for like more than ten minutes. <<
FFIII = FFVI, the SNES one, right? That's the best one in the numbered series, with a great story and characters and soundtrack and fast-paced battles, if you didn't like that one I suggest you give up on the others.

If you somehow played FF3j, however, then uh... I don't know, I never played that one, but I think it's considered to be pretty bad? I could be mistaking it with FF2j though. >_> I'd suggest giving FF6 a shot, jRPGs rarely get any better.

Since you like SRPGs however, I can't recommend FFTactics enough. By far the best FF, and one of the best sRPGs ever made, with one of the best stories and soundtrack in gaming history. If you don't mind playing on a handheld, War of the Lions (with a fan-patch to remove the slowdown during spell animations -- not sure why they have that -_-, easy to patch using a PSP with custom firmware) is the definitive version, if not, the PS1 original is still amazing and available for PS3 on the PS store.

Pau

FFIII = FFVI, the SNES one, right? That's the best one in the numbered series, with a great story and characters and soundtrack and fast-paced battles, if you didn't like that one I suggest you give up on the others.

If you somehow played FF3j, however, then uh... I don't know, I never played that one, but I think it's considered to be pretty bad? I could be mistaking it with FF2j though. >_> I'd suggest giving FF6 a shot, jRPGs rarely get any better.

Since you like SRPGs however, I can't recommend FFTactics enough. By far the best FF, and one of the best sRPGs ever made, with one of the best stories and soundtrack in gaming history. If you don't mind playing on a handheld, War of the Lions (with a fan-patch to remove the slowdown during spell animations -- not sure why they have that -_-, easy to patch using a PSP with custom firmware) is the definitive version, if not, the PS1 original is still amazing and available for PS3 on the PS store.
It was the FFIII remake on the original DS.

I had FFTactics from PSN Plus, but I got frustrated with the camera controls and then Kark stole my Vita and my PSN Plus thing expired. :(

suzu

Is it as good as the PSX original?

It has a new translation (if you've played FF12 and liked the dialogue in that, you'll probably enjoy it), some pretty cutscenes (w/ voice acting if you get the English version), two new FF characters to recruit, two new classes, new quests, increased roster size... and I think a new dungeon too?

It's pretty great and worth playing if you haven't played the original in awhile.

There is slow-down during some abilities/spells, but if you have a custom firmware PSP you can download a fan-made patch to fix it.

I had FFTactics from PSN Plus, but I got frustrated with the camera controls and then Kark stole my Vita and my PSN Plus thing expired. :(

Aw. If you ever decide to try it again, you can tilt the battlefield (a little bit). I found that that helped a lot.

Hey GirlGAF, here’s some feminist/women related articles I’ve read lately or skimmed in some cases.

The Mary Sue: 5 Feminist Lessons Little Girls Can Learn from Gravity Falls and Mabel Pines

Julie Dillon's Tumblr: suggested Guardians of the Galaxy changes to make it less sexist

***I am genuinely curious on your thoughts (well, that's true for all articles, but if you only bother to address one, I'd like to know, it is among the shortest as well, referring to the starred music video article in case that's not clear) .

aaaaaaaa

i'll have to read these after i go see the movie on tuesday. i don't want to go in with preconceptions ;__;

also, i used to know julie dillon :> she's a very talented artist .___.

Pau, oh yeah, that would be a difficult choice. Mucha made so many gorgeous pieces. I love that style very much.

yeahokay.gif

I'm a straight dude and Gackt tickles my fancy (it's the Gundam love, I swear).

Moon Child makes me cry every time.

:O

moon child was too glam for me to ;__; over

but i always ;__; when ahhnold terminator goes down into the lava pit in terminator 2

Windam

Scaley member
:O

moon child was too glam for me to ;__; over

but i always ;__; when ahhnold terminator goes down into the lava pit in terminator 2

BUT TOSHI! ;___; His death hit me so hard. The joker shouldn't go out like that.

And then the end...

Gackt watching his daughter grow up from the sidelines after losing his wife and being turned into a vampire and then committing suicide with Hyde at the end with the photo burning...

Omg ;___;

The only Gamora complaint I had was that they underpowered her (well Drax too, but Gamora is arguably the bigger victim). Without revealing much, there's scenes where instead of doing what she's famous for (murdering people without so much as a blink), she...well, doesn't...and instead lets other characters take charge.

Still a good movie either way, but I never like it when characters get underpowered in movie adaptations, particularly Gamora (from what people have told me about her comic history).

Yup. My only sex-related problem is that they severely underpowered "The Most Dangerous Woman in the Universe." It was very disappointing.

Cat

aaaaaaaa

i'll have to read these after i go see the movie on tuesday. i don't want to go in with preconceptions ;__;

also, i used to know julie dillon :> she's a very talented artist .___.

Well, only the last one talks about the movie.

I agree, Julie Dillon is very talented. I tried learning how to draw anime characters from her tutorials when they were still hosted on her own site. I've been following her work on and off for several years.

trigun7.jpg

This is one of the pieces that really impressed me when I first found her.

Yrael

Thanks for these, will give them a read.

Kinsei

Banned

1. I always figured that kind of shit was happening behind the scenes. I'm not really sure about what we can do to change things though. The people who actually do this shit are too powerful to touch, unless you fancy losing your job.

2. I don't have much to say as I haven;t seen that show, but that sounds great. To say there's a lack of good female characters in cartoons is a huge understatement.

3. I agree. Almost every type of entertainment we have has ratings, why should music be exempt?

4. I can't blame them for including that stuff in the movie. Comics have spent decades making it very clear that only guys are welcome, why wouldn't a comic book movie be the same?

In the reddit wife thread. She called a fellow member an asshole (it's right there on the page). The mods have repeatedly said you're not allowed to do that.

I can't imagine that was a perm; I'm sure she'll be back soon.

Oh man, damn. That really sucks but surprisingly he is known for such terrible posting. Yeah, just definitely going to be back.

RIP Wazzy, we well see the good Sis soon.

you-career-is-dead-o.gif

Waazzzzzyyyyyy

...missing you already, girlsis <3

I can't blame you for losing a bit of control in that thread though. Specially against that guy. Double specially after JDSN posted that old post of his. He totally skeeves me out.

Also, Dax, HAHAHAHAH great mug <3

Sabaton tickets booked! So excited to see these guys in December! Also got tickets to see "Hell", "Mastodon", "Saxon", "Tyr" and hopefully "In Flames" too. Got a busy two months of gigs at the end of the year!

S0AFxAt.png

Top Bottom