• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

iirate

Thanks! :D (I'm still not quite used to thinking of myself as a 26 year old, haha!)

Weirdly enough, I usually jump the gun on how old I am. I turned 28 about a month ago, but was already thinking of myself as being that age a couple of weeks prior.

A lot of birthdays recently (it was mine just over a week ago). Happy birthday Dragonz and Morrigan! :)

It seems like half of our community has summer birthdays! Happy birthday y'all!

I've been looking for the right opportunity to use this awesome Eowyn gif, lol! But I never correct people on my gender online. I guess I might if it was relevent to the topic, but it never has been for me!

"Wait, there's guys in the internet? I thought that was only a myth."

Usually works for me. :)

Yrael

Cheers! And also a one-month belated birthday wish to iirate! :D

Weirdly enough, I usually jump the gun on how old I am. I turned 28 about a month ago, but was already thinking of myself as being that age a couple of weeks prior.

What gets me is thinking that I'm actually closer to 30 years old than 20...it's a surreal feeling, given that sometimes it's hard enough to process the fact that I'm even in my 20s at all, heh.

Edit: Also, I've only just realised that I've hit member status! Woo. :)

iirate

Cheers! And also a one-month belated birthday wish to iirate! :D

What gets me is thinking that I'm actually closer to 30 years old than 20...it's a surreal feeling, given that sometimes it's hard enough to process the fact that I'm even in my 20s at all, heh.

Edit: Also, I've only just realised that I've hit member status! Woo. :)

27 was a big one for me - couldn't get my mind off of the fact that I was officially in my late-20s. It can be hard to keep perspective on how young you still are when you still don't know what being in your 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. is even like. All you know is that you're older than you've ever been and time isn't turning back.

Surreal definitely applies sometimes.

Grats on member status! =D

Cat

I decided I stopped aging at 32 because that's when I had my baby. I'm not allowed to age while she grows up.
I'm 33.

Kimaka

Happy Birthday everyone! Hope you had/have a good celebration.

A friend posted this on Facebook today:

7 of the most badass women who ever lived (who you've probably never heard of)

1. Khutulun, Mongolian warrior princess
2. Nana Asma’u, Nigerian scholar
3. Policarpa Salavarrieta, Colombian revolutionary
4. Ching Shih, Chinese pirate
5. Gertrude Bell, British traveler and writer
6. The ‘Night Witches,’ Russian WW2 fighter pilots
7. Hedy Lamarr, Austrian inventor

Nice list. I have not heard of any of these amazing women except for Hedy Lamarr.

What the fucking fuck with that "girls being perfect" thread. I bring in my perspective and I'm still dismissed. (It's why I rarely bring it up in threads about women).

Mono

What the fucking fuck with that "girls being perfect" thread. I bring in my perspective and I'm still dismissed. (It's why I rarely bring it up in threads about women).

I saw that thread title and stayed far away from it. :X

I do feel like we should speak up in these sorts of threads, but people always seem to ignore our opinions... but if we didn't say anything than people would think that everyone was agreeing with each other, gah.

I saw that thread title and stayed far away from it. :X

I do feel like we should speak up in these sorts of threads, but people always seem to ignore our opinions... but if we didn't say anything than people would think that everyone was agreeing with each other, gah.

It's infuriating.

:x

Dax and ProphetSteve and Infinite and besada and Gotchaeye are luminous beings in the thick muck that is lalalala-biology-are-end-all-be-all-truths-lalala in that cesspit of a thread

Dax, I can't believe you're still being dismissed even after revealing that very personal aspect of yourself. Doubly cant believe when they actually question further details, very personal details, just so that they can hang on to their narratives

GROCE

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Happy Birthday all~! Also I got a new shirt in just now.
AJQZNOvl.jpg

Leeness

It's infuriating.

Dax and ProphetSteve and Infinite and besada and Gotchaeye are luminous beings in the thick muck that is lalalala-biology-are-end-all-be-all-truths-lalala in that cesspit of a thread

Dax, I can't believe you're still being dismissed even after revealing that very personal aspect of yourself. Doubly cant believe when they actually question further details, very personal details, just so that they can hang on to their narratives

GROCE

It's a crappy topic.

I know it's self-centered but I'm kind of loling at the fact that I posted ~my feelings~ and it's ignored because men gonna men.

Whatever. Most people on GAF already know all that about me. Lol. Just another perspective dismissed though.

It's infuriating.

GROCE
It fucking baffles me. It's because I'm not a man I can't understand and they TELL ME what I've experienced.

It's rude as all hell. There are so many men on GAF I've lost respect for by visiting threads dedicated to women's issues. And this group of men on GAF that insists that they're right when we express our views seems to be a rather large one.

Leeness

Dammit, and now it's closed and I can't edit my post out. Sigh. There's no point to it being there so I'd rather it weren't but oh well...

Yrael

Damn, was literally just about to post in that Girls Being Perfect topic. Such a shame (but not surprising) that it got derailed so early on, and that people's experiences kept being dismissed again. And of course the arguments from pop evolutionary psychology, and the idea that people who question the absolute and rigidly hard-wired basis of gender behaviour are ignoring science and denying evolution...which makes me :|, because it's actually pretty damned unscientific to completely deny the effects of culture and society on human behaviour as well.

injurai

Banned

The dialogue broke down fast. Not sure if it's just me, but gender related discussions have seemingly taken a step back recently. It's no short of amazing how short on empathy people can be. The lack of self-awareness is just astounding as well. There's academic social science, and then there's web-forum "philosophizing". You're working with anecdotes, fucking humor them. The point is to arrive at an outlook that betters everyone, not devolve into a malicious distrust.

You see people get ruffled over a non-existence implication that one demographic holds an exclusive disprivilege. Instead of learning and understanding what this means for the affected people, they dismiss both the subjects and their own disprivileges at the same time. Astounding isn't.

Pau

I think my favorite post (that was actually related to the topic at hand) was that women are now too confident and think they are all 10's because of social media. I wish social media had that effect on me! :p

I think my favorite post (that was actually related to the topic at hand) was that women are now too confident and think they are all 10's because of social media. I wish social media had that effect on me! :p

One of my favorites, earlier in the thread, was that women are now picking their mates based on how good they'll look with him/her on social media websites.

I mean, what the fuck.

Pau

One of my favorites, earlier in the thread, was that women are now picking their mates based on how good they'll look with him/her on social media websites.

I mean, what the fuck.
Well, makes sense. Women would never pick partners based on looks unless it's to get more likes and retweets.

My mum thinks guys have that mentality though. The first few times I met my boyfriend's friends, my mum berated me asking if I wanted him to be embarrassed about introducing me because of my appearance. :/

Cat

As badly as that thread went, I'm quoting these posts here because I feel the second one has something of value to say.

What's wrong with trying to be perfect? Is striving to be a well-rounded individual a bad thing?

The goals are wrong. They should be about being well read, compassionate, humane, healthy and at peace. Instead they almost solely focus on how you look. It makes those kids that are not born with looks not matching certain standards miserable.

Amalthea

Banned
Is there a comparision between different cultures concerning harrassment?
The relation between harrassment of women and the huge backlash that critique of the former generates is worrying.
The backlash especially seems to be a form of self-denial. But if this is the case it obviously hampers any further progress towards equality.

It fucking baffles me. It's because I'm not a man I can't understand and they TELL ME what I've experienced.

It really pissed me off that so many guys wouldn't shut up for a minute and actually listen to you - they were convinced they knew and understood everything. Ugh.

Wazzy

Banned
Only 3 days and I missed the shit out of you guys. D:

But my ban was soooo worth it. And then seeing the guy get banned too I was like:
m9TlCjQ.gif

Leeness

Welcome back, Wazzy <3

Sigh, asked Besada to remove my worthless post in that stupid closed thread but no reply. Guess he won't. Bah.

Top Bottom