• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Wazzy

Banned
Welcome back!
Thanks! Happy Birthday to you and Dragonz! I know I'm a little late because of my banning heh
Welcome back, Wazzy <3

Sigh, asked Besada to remove my worthless post in that stupid closed thread but no reply. Guess he won't. Bah.
Thanks gorl!

And your post wasn't worthless. That thread was just full of it's typical dismissiveness.
Welcome home! &#55357;&#56842;
Thank you. :D
Weba Wazzotrons~! Hopefully your time in the pen wasn't too bad!

Haha thanks. It was only 3 days so nothing bad. My first ban but no regrets.

besada

Banned
Welcome back, Wazzy <3

Sigh, asked Besada to remove my worthless post in that stupid closed thread but no reply. Guess he won't. Bah.
I been busy. Crazy busy. I've got race riots in one thread, sexual objectification in another, and a dozen other to boot. I'm gettin' to it. These bones are old and slow.

Note: It would have helped if you'd linked the post.

I been busy. Crazy busy. I've got race riots in one thread, sexual objectification in another, and a dozen other to boot. I'm gettin' to it. These bones are old and slow.

.... i just realised... izzat Thanos in your avatar???? :O

Wazzy

Banned
Welcome back Wazzzzzza!!!!! <33333 You were missed <333333

and haha that FF8 victory gif :>
Thanks YesNO :D

I had to return with some VIII gif used!

I don't even have the patience to touch those threads so all the kudo's to you for having it(I guess you would have to being a mod and all) but I do have to say, you've been doing a fantastic job.
Wazzy's back!! :D We missed you!

Missed all you guys too!

Leeness

Sorry, I didn't know how these things work... Never asked a mod to delete something before and it didn't cross my mind.

I went looking for the post to link and it looks like you killed it already. Thank you <3 I really appreciate it. :)

I know my crazy is already readily available on GAF, but I didn't want it in that topic once I realized no one wanted or needed my experiences in there. :/

SmokyDave

I feel like I'm going to get banned for even approaching this subject, but I really can't bottle it up and pretend it isn't bothering me.

Basically, I don't understand why you have taken such offence to the sentiments being expressed in those posts. Please note, I'm not saying you shouldn't be offended, I'm saying I don't understand why you're offended. Positive education on TG issues has given those posters a perspective, but now you're telling them pretty much the opposite. It's understandable that they're going to be confused as to which message they ought to listen to. You didn't really elaborate on why you were so annoyed and kept mentioning being dismissed, but I don't think those posters were simply dismissing you. I think they were struggling to understand how you could be so certain about something that flies in the face of their prior education on the subject.

I know I'm in a minefield, but I don't even know why. I've almost certainly said one or more offensive things in this post, yet I assure you that not one of them has been intentional. I thought about dropping you a PM instead of replying to this post, but then I didn't know if that would somehow be even worse than openly addressing you in here. You don't need to explain yourself to me, or even reply to this post. I just needed to type it because it's been eating away at me since yesterday.

I feel like I'm going to get banned for even approaching this subject, but I really can't bottle it up and pretend it isn't bothering me.

Basically, I don't understand why you have taken such offence to the sentiments being expressed in those posts.

Why do the women in that thread see it, some men in that thread see it, and the women here see it, but not you? That should cause a siren to go off in your head. Why isn't it?

The people quoted were telling me what I've experienced in my life and were telling me about my experiences. They said I couldn't understand what it's like to be a male in a male relationship, I proved otherwise. Even afterwards, they continually said "no you still can't understand," even though there were MEN in that very same thread saying the same thing I was, so obviously it's not beyond my female mind.

I lived as a male for 21 years – it doesn't matter if I identified as female or not during that whole time (asking me to reveal more personal information so they can dismiss what I have to say, or to make it more valid is pretty offensive) – I lived under the same social and biological factors as many of the men here, and thus I can speak to that experience with as much authority.

I'm honestly baffled you don't understand. Just read the posts.

SmokyDave

Why do the women in that thread see it, some men in that thread see it, and the women here see it, but not you? That should cause a little light-bulb to go off in your head.

The people quoted were telling me what I've experienced in my life and were telling me about my experiences. They said I couldn't understand what it's like to be a male in a male relationship, I proved otherwise. Even afterwards, they continually said "no you still can't understand," even though there were MEN in that very same thread saying the same thing I was, so obviously it's not beyond my female mind.

I lived as a male for 21 years – it doesn't matter if I identified as female or not (asking me to reveal more personal information so they can dismiss what I have to say, or to make it more valid is pretty offensive) – I lived under the same social and biological factors as many of the men here, and thus I can speak to that experience with as much authority.

I'm honestly baffled you don't understand. Just read the posts.
Well I've only ever had one TG friend in my life, and she always maintained that she knew she was a woman from being a small child*. I'm aware of the concept of gender fluidity, but I'd always assumed that someone that has transitioned had always felt as though they were the gender that they transitioned to. I figured that for most people, the old 'woman trapped in a mans body' was literal. That they felt no connection to being male beyond their external appearance and sex organs. I thought I had the situation understood, but it seems my viewpoint was simplistic and incorrect. I suppose I should've known that given the immense complexity of gender identity and expression.

*I speak in the past tense because she's sadly passed. I was at her funeral, yet most of her family were not. I've seen first hand how shitty life can be for the transgendered, so please don't think I approached this subject flippantly.

Well I've only ever had one TG friend in my life, and she always maintained that she knew she was a woman from being a small child*. I'm aware of the concept of gender fluidity, but I'd always assumed that someone that has transitioned had always felt as though they were the gender that they transitioned to. I figured that for most people, the old 'woman trapped in a mans body' was literal. That they felt no connection to being male beyond their external appearance and sex organs. I thought I had the situation understood, but it seems my viewpoint was simplistic and incorrect. I suppose I should've known that given the immense complexity of gender identity and expression.

You're again missing the point of why I linked those posts, and I don't know how more plainly I can put it.

SmokyDave

You're again missing the point of why I linked those posts, and I don't know how more plainly I can put it.
You say they're dismissing your life experience, whereas I see it as questioning your life experience because they can't understand it. To put it in the simplest terms, you used the term 'female mind' in your post. I (and I think most of the posters you quoted) was under the impression that a 'female mind' would be something that you'd be in possession of since birth, not something that would gradually emerge or evolve from what one might think of as a male (or neutral?) mind. I think their posts came from confusion grounded in a desire to respect the gender expression of TG individuals. On another day, in another topic, they might've asked why someone 'changed' into a woman, only to be scalded and informed that the person hadn't 'changed' into a woman, but that they'd always been a woman with an appearance that didn't match their actual gender.

Look, if I'm getting this all wrapped around my neck then I apologise. I trying to express myself clearly but I can't tell how it's coming across at all. Maybe now ain't a great time to be asking about any of this given the tension that's simmering on the boards.

You say they're dismissing your life experience, whereas I see it as questioning your life experience because they can't understand it.
Dear lord, dude. You come into this thread because for some reason you can't let it stand that I call out users who were dismissing my experiences – you just have to come in here and tell me what's really going on. And, once again, you're not listening. You're just telling me how it is. What is with this weird impulse to tell and not to listen?

People don't question you by telling what you experienced. That's not how you question people. BRS put it pretty nicely in this thread and that one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124899857&postcount=326
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125031611&postcount=10644
At the time, reading that thread, it struck me that Dax's argument was more about experiencing treatment from other humans, and not as much how she felt about it.

Even her experiences were indeed being dismissed; and lots of those questioning posts were extremely focused on her reaction, and 'felt' like a trap to put her in a catch-22 argument loop.

I could be wrong of course, but I didn't think the posters in question were necessarily open minded, just because the question they asked might also be expected from an open minded person who wants to learn something.
Exactly.

SmokyDave

Thank you weemadarthur, that does help somewhat.

Dear lord, dude. You come into this thread because for some reason you can't let it stand that I call out users who were dismissing my experiences – you just have to come in here and tell me what's really going on. And, once again, you're not listening. You're just telling me how it is. What is with this weird impulse to tell and not to listen?

People don't question you by telling what you experienced. That's not how you question people. BRS put it pretty nicely in this thread and that one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124899857&postcount=326
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125031611&postcount=10644

Exactly.
I come into this thread because I'm genuinely interested in reading and understanding the perspectives from the members in here. I've lurked since it was created. I have no desire to foster or nurture hostility, which is why I never pluck the low-hanging fruit that is abundantly found amongst these pages.

It seems like we're not really communicating very well here* so rather than keep batting it back and forth, I'll just sit back, read more and see if I can better understand your grievance in future.

As for the bolded, at no point have I told you what was going on. I told you what I thought was going on. I kinda feel like that misunderstanding is a microcosmic version of what happens in many of these threads. People takes opinions and questions as facts and statements.

*I'm sure the failing is at my end, and I don't feel I can further this conversation without saying something that you would feel was dismissing your experiences.

It seems like we're not really communicating very well here*
Because you're choosing to ignore what the people I quoted were saying.

Take this post from Shinta:
Well it's pretty simple, following the discussion you two were having. Crafty and I were arguing that men have a different perspective from women. It doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong, but that influences how they view the world.

If you identified yourself as a man before, then yes, you would have shared that perspective.

If you identified yourself as a woman before, trapped in a male body, then you would not necessarily share the same perspective. It would still be a valuable and unique perspective, but not the same, by your own definition.

So, the only reason he asked is because that was the entire discussion. No one is trying to dismiss anything. You brought it up to win the argument, but it actually doesn't really win the argument.
There's no questioning here. There's no doubt. There is is only telling. It doesn't matter that I experienced the male interaction of "trash talking" and that I disliked it, I can't say it's bad because I can't fully understand what it's like because I had a female mind, like there's something in trash talking that makes me unable to understand why men do it. I mean, other men in that thread were saying the same thing as me, so obviously it's not something that I can't understand. My experience didn't matter. (This is the second time I've said this).

Wazzy

Banned
Smokey, I'm sure with this line of questioning you do have good intentions but I think you've picked a really bad time to come in and ask them. You're coming in to this thread after basically dismissing us in the rape thread and then posting another confrontational post earlier on.

It's why it's harder to be more understanding with you because it seems from your earlier posts you didn't want to listen to us. Maybe you do now and that's great but as I said, you picked a bad time.

SmokyDave

Because you're choosing to ignore what the people I quoted were saying.

Take this post from Shinta:

There's no questioning here. There's no doubt. There is is only telling. It doesn't matter that I experienced the male interaction of "trash talking" and that I disliked it, I can't say it's bad because I can't fully understand what it's like because I had a female mind, like there's something in trash talking that makes me unable to understand why men do it. I mean, other men in that thread were saying the same thing as me, so obviously it's not something that I can't understand. My experience didn't matter. (This is the second time I've said this).
That whole post is outlining the reason for a question that had already been put to you by Crafty in this post. As you can see, it's pretty much the same question that I had in this thread.

They're not saying it doesn't matter that you experienced it, they're questioning how you experienced it.

Smokey, I'm sure with this line of questioning you do have good intentions but I think you've picked a really bad time to come in and ask them. You're coming in to this thread after basically dismissing us in the rape thread and then posting another confrontational post earlier on.

It's why it's harder to be more understanding with you because it seems from your earlier posts you didn't want to listen to us. Maybe you do now and that's great but as I said, you picked a bad time.
Let's be honest, there's never a good time to talk about this stuff.

I kinda feel like we're reaching a point where any degree of disagreement is being written off as dismissal. I'm not dismissing you just because I don't immediately accept everything you say as gospel.

There's also this.
That whole post is outlining the reason for a question that had already been put to you by Crafty in this post. As you can see, it's pretty much the same question that I had in this thread.

They're not saying it doesn't matter that you experienced it, they're questioning how you experienced it.

I can't believe you don't see the problem with what you're posting.

Mumei

Smoky: Please stop. Maybe Dax would be interested in talking to you through PMs sometime (though don't quote me on it), but this clearly isn't going the way you wanted it to.

Edit: Fucking ninjas.

SmokyDave

I can't believe you don't see the problem with what you're posting.
Look, I honestly don't see what I'm getting wrong here and I have no desire to wind you up so let's just call it a day. I'll take the 'L' and be the poster boy for the ignorant straight white male. I do want you to know that no malice has been meant by anything I've said.

Edit: Mum, Dev, I'm out. Mumei feel free to delete my posts since I've contributed nothing and I feel like I've lost more knowledge than I've gained. As I said earlier, I'd thought to do it over PM but I didn't know how that would come across and I assumed it'd end up in here anyway.

Cat

I am actually NOT trying to intentionally distract from the current discussion though that my be ending on its own soon, but I didn't have a chance to share this from earlier today from being caught up in other things, just kind of put it on hold:

The Women Who Dress Like Men: Shoujo Staples of Anime and Manga — Part 1

rose.jpg

Welcome to a three part series where Caitlin Donovan gives you an in-depth look at three of the biggest staples in this particular subsection of shoujo manga and anime: stories with female main characters who live their lives in male dress. Whether a show or comic has a lot to say about gender or a little, there’s still a lot to explore, so lets get going with part one!
It should be noted that I am a white, Western fan and that will color my perspective on these issues. I am by no means an expert on Japanese culture or perspectives. This is simply meant to be a fun overview of anime and manga that features female characters and woman-centered stories you might fall in love with (and occasionally queer characters and other interesting themes and commentary).

This piece mostly covers the anime/manga, The Rose of Versailles. I may check out this series now that I've read more about it. Maybe someone here at GirlGAF can chime in if they've seen it.

I am actually NOT trying to intentionally distract from the current discussion though that my be ending on its own soon, but I didn't have a chance to share this from earlier today from being caught up in other things, just kind of put it on hold:

The Women Who Dress Like Men: Shoujo Staples of Anime and Manga — Part 1

rose.jpg

This piece mostly covers the anime/manga, The Rose of Versailles. I may check out this series now that I've read more about it. Maybe someone here at GirlGAF can chime in if they've seen it.

Oscar! I've read this. A loooooooooooooooooooong time ago. I cant really remember its finer details, but I actually looked up to Oscar when I was growing up.

Having a dad that wanted a boy instead a daughter also was a contributing factor, I guess.

Um, I'd recommend it, but yeah, it's an old manga and some parts of it would look silly and offensive by today's standards. It's also very heteronormative for a thing that's led by a crossdressing character.

But yes. Oscar was my hero *____*

Wazzy

Banned
Thank you Mumei. I could see after that the discussion really wasn't going anywhere.

Dax and Leeness, I just want to once again say both your experiences and opinions were great in that thread and I hope you won't let the people who were dismissive bother you. :D

But anyway, I really need to get a new phone. I'm thinking of getting Iphone 5c pink(was thinking green but I love salmon coloured stuff and the pink looks that way) so I'm hoping to get it before September.

Thank you Mumei. I could see after that the discussion really wasn't going anywhere.

Dax and Leeness, I just want to once again say both your experiences and opinions were great in that thread and I hope you won't let the people who were dismissive bother you. :D

wuv wuv wuv

<3

But anyway, I really need to get a new phone. I'm thinking of getting Iphone 5c pink(was thinking green but I love salmon coloured stuff and the pink looks that way) so I'm hoping to get it before September.

Get a phone case with Squall's triple triad card on the back.

Mono

Alright, girls; I need some hair advice! :X

Here's the thing, though: I'm incredibly lazy and not fashionable at all, so I have no idea about any of this stuff. I also don't want to spend any / a lot of time on my hair, if possible. I think I might spend more time on it if I had some kind of hair style, though? Currently, it's unstyled and I just brush it and go, and I think it looks fine. I haven't cut my hair in years. It's just been this way for so long I thought maybe I'd change it if there's something easy I could manage to style. Please note that I can't even BRAID my hair, so my definition of easy might be way different from normal!

Here's what it looks like now.
And before you chastise me on breaking American laws, my friend thought it would be funny if I took a selfie looking like I was about to drive his car, but I didn't really drive it lol!

I'm thinking I could get bangs again? Maybe? I used to have bangs when I was sixteen or so, and they looked nice. Exhibit B.

The only problem with bangs is that I'm completely broke, and bangs probably look bad when you can't get them cut all the time. And I definitely can't cut them myself! Also, bangs can have awful-looking days, and you can't really hide them.

Maybe I'll just get the ends trim and wait for my hair to get down to my knees. :X It almost goes past my waist right now.

I don't know what to do!!

At the risk of it sounding like I'm coming in and man-splaining or reviving an argument that should just be left alone or something...

Let's be honest, there's never a good time to talk about this stuff.

I kinda feel like we're reaching a point where any degree of disagreement is being written off as dismissal. I'm not dismissing you just because I don't immediately accept everything you say as gospel.

Dave, I think I get what you're trying to say. You're saying that, in your mind, those posts aren't being dismissive, and they're coming from a place of trying to understand, not aggression.

But here's the problem: even if individual posts may be in a spirit of understanding, and not trying to trap Dax, context matters. You have to think of the context of that particular thread (which was somewhat aggressive, relatively speaking), and the context of GAF as a whole (which has, shall we say, a very vocal minority of people who aren't particularly progressive when it comes to gender politics and equality), and Dax's own background. Take all that into account, and suddenly some questions and statements that might be perfectly innocuous in one setting take on much darker undertones. It's fine to say that you're not dismissing someone's point of view, just disagreeing with it or questioning it, but if you have a lot of people all doing that exact same thing, at the very least it's easy to see how someone could feel attacked or disregarded.

Again, I really hope this doesn't come off as a man coming in to talk over women. I also hope that I'm not incorrectly ascribing any feelings to anyone, particularly in light of what's being discussed. The way gender is discussed on here (in general, that is, not in GirlGAF) usually makes me cringe -- to the point I just don't read threads on that topic because I know I'll be appalled by the retrograde thinking on display -- so I hope I'm not adding to it. But at the same time, I feel like I need to say something at some point, because I have to say that the comic Yrael posted on the last page really spoke to me.

Anyway, I'll stop talking now.

Mono

Honestly I think it's just fine the way it is. Maybe a braid would look good (and you can learn to braid!). I'd also think it would look good cut to your shoulders.

I'd also like to ask: How do I make my hair less frizzy? Or does that come with it getting longer?

Braids are hard!! :X I'll try to learn; thanks! I used to have a shoulder-length bob cut, which was nice, too. Hmm!

I love your hair! \o/ Have you ever tried using dry conditioner? That works with my hair, but my hair is pretty straight on its own.

Braids are hard!! :X I'll try to learn; thanks! I used to have a shoulder-length bob cut, which was nice, too. Hmm!

I love your hair! \o/ Have you ever tried using dry conditioner? That works with my hair, but my hair is pretty straight on its own.

What's dry conditioner?

Mono

Mono

Imo you look good with the long hair and no bangs. You don't have a high enough forehead to benefit from bangs adjusting the look of your face shape. It's basically a classic oval.

I do think your eyebrows are better now than in your older pic, as they are not waxed quite so thin.

Yes I'm biased because that's pretty much my hairstyle, only a more nameable color. Funny story I could tell you about that.

For wearing the hair differently, there are bunches of easy looks that don't require braiding, or at least not french braiding. I wear mine in a bun with hairsticks for work. It is done (in case you don't know) by grabbing all your hair into a high ponytail, then twisting in one direction until it naturally starts to curl around itself, then insert two straight things like pencils in opposite directions. They go in one side of the coil, under the hair that's flat against the head to anchor, and up,through the other side of the coil. Stays in place all day.

Or the half ponytail - alternatives include braiding the tail, or braiding above the tail, or repeating the gather down the back of the head.

Thanks for the advice!! Do oval face shapes clash with bangs?

I've actually never waxed my eyebrows; I just pluck them myself. I guess I got a little carried away in that younger-me picture!!

More nameable in my mind means awesome pink or something!

Thanks! I really need to learn how to do something with my hair other than brush it. It's really hard for me, for some reason. I'll try out that bun, for sure! My ponytails always get loose after a few hours of working, since my hair is so long. :X

Well, I do the oil thing when I get a small amount of static. But I don't have curly hair, so it isn't often. Is your shampoo/conditioner specially made for dryish or curly hair? Have you tried specialty products like Frieda's Frizz Ease?

Nah, it's not made for dryish hair. I don't think my hair is particularly dry; at least, it doesn't feel that way.

Mono

Omg... the new Silent Hill, I'm so excited I can't handle myself hahaha

OMG yes, that reveal trailer is awesome!! Kojima better not screw up the series. I'm excited and I probably won't even play it because I'm a baby when it comes to horror games! I managed to play all the way through the first and forth Silent Hill games, despite that.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I'm sure it will turn out great. Already, people are discovering a bunch of new stuff that other's haven't, the atmosphere is really ominous and *screams* I am just so happy to see the series that (in my opinion) has always done horror very well, make it's epic return ~~ and in such a dynamic way too! :D

Top Bottom