• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

suzu

So I had to put one of my ferrets down today. I'm pretty devastated by it as is Gugi(I had my ferret for 5ish years but was forced to give them to her because of my complex but I took one of them back while the other I visit and was trying to support but anyway she's partially hers as well) and just in shock how fast everything happened.

I hate losing pet's. I feel terrible and I have to work too.

I'm sorry for your loss Wazzy and Gugi. :( *big hug*

I know how you feel; my dog also passed away recently. :( I had him since I was a kid and he was a puppy. I was a huge mess, and it still hurts. Just looking at other people's yellow labradors makes me want to tear up. My cats are starting to show their age now too..

Edit: And my condolences to Mumei too. *hugs*

Wazzy

Banned
Awwww :( so adorable. Sorry Wazzy!

Wazzy and gugi, I'm sorry about your ferret. :( Ferrets are so sweet. Give the other one some extra love!

Aw they are so adorable! I am so sorry hon. /hugs

I'm sorry for your loss Wazzy and Gugi. :( *big hug*

I know how you feel; my dog also passed away recently. :( I had him since I was a kid and he was a puppy. I was a huge mess, and it still hurts. Just looking at other people's yellow labradors makes me want to tear up. My cats are starting to show their age now too..

Edit: And my condolences to Mumei too. *hugs*

Seriously, thank you everyone. You guys are awesome and this is my favourite community here. The support here is amazing. <3

Also Suzu, I'm sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is so painful and one you grew up with makes it even worse. Things reminding you also seriously hurts. :(

It's going to take some time to get used to this. When my dog passed last year, I was crushed for so long and now this, it just feels too soon. I hope I can just take my mind off of it with PAX coming up but even that's been soured from this happening just a couple days before we leave.

I'm so sorry wazzy and gugi Losing a pet is so hard.The grief your feeling now means you really loved your pet, and that you probably gave them a great life with that love :)

Is there a tread on this? Aneeka from female tropes in video games was apparently driven from her house due to online abuse and death threats. I'm out all day today so I can't make the thread for it. How shameful of these people.http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/27/6075679/sarkeesian-driven-out-of-home-by-online-abuse-and-death-threats

gugi40

Thanks everyone for your condolences. It was a very hard thing for me and Wazzy to go through. It is always awful to see a pet go....she had all her loved ones with her in her last moments though, so at least i have that to think about.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm so sorry wazzy. Losing a pet is so hard.The grief your feeling now means you really loved your pet, and that you probably gave them a great life with that love :)

Is there a tread on this? Aneeka from female tropes in video games was apparently driven from her house due to online abuse and death threats. I'm out all day today so I can't make the thread for it. How shameful of these people.http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/27/6075679/sarkeesian-driven-out-of-home-by-online-abuse-and-death-threats

Thank you. :)

And wow that's absolutely disgusting.

F90A86C856CE4B7363D2ECE4DC6B06A38F7FDD41

yay DS talk! <3
it's kinda funny, I took some screenshots at the exact same location some time back.
just so beautiful. :3 (although mine is way goofier)

edit: damn just reading about the pets. many hugs your way :<

Mono

So I had to put one of my ferrets down today. I'm pretty devastated by it as is Gugi(I had my ferret for 5ish years but was forced to give them to her because of my complex but I took one of them back while the other I visit and was trying to support but anyway she's partially hers as well) and just in shock how fast everything happened.

I hate losing pet's. I feel terrible and I have to work too.

Omg, oh no! I'm sorry! :(

Hope you and Gugi are feeling better! Maybe there's a ferret afterlife with infinite cozy things for them to climb and wedge themselves into for naps!

Seriously, WTF is wrong with people? I met her IRL at a conference and she seemed really sweet. The amount of harassment she deals with is completely mental. Why do people bash her so much??

Kimaka

Forgot to link the Youtube video~

Lol this is gold.

Thanks you guys. <3

I'm sorry you had to see him pass like that. :(

Here's my bb Coco

10622724_10152621793985211_2705335114832926090_n.jpg

and my white one Lily:

23585_420281255210_83512_n.jpg

Thankfully she's adjusting pretty well so far without Coco. I'm just having difficulty knowing they won't see each other again.

Thank you and I'm sorry about your dog. Losing any pet is the worst but dog's just especially hit hard.

They are so cute. I'm sorry about your loss.

Leeness

So GirlGAF, I completely failed at losing weight before my trip :( I'm so mad at myself.

When I get back, I'm going to eat less, work out more.

So GirlGAF, I completely failed at losing weight before my trip :( I'm so mad at myself.

Im so with you Leeness. I've been putting it off cuz winter blues and all that, but I really need to start to pick up the slack nowwwwwww... aaaaa

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I put on some pounds while visiting my family. Damn you delicious homemade food! I've been watching what I've been eating the past month but it doesn't seem to be helping much. orz

Zoe

Leeness is going to starve herself by going under 1200 calories. That's a horrible way to lose weight, and that's not even factoring in the exercise.

I can eat an untold amount of food and not gain weight. In fact, I'm underweight.

It helps that if I get any sort of food in a portion size that's too big I get grossed out. And portion sizes correlate directly with the rise in obesity rates...

You don't have to starve yourself. Just keep your portion sizes reasonable.

It's ok! I've been terrible about using myfitnesspal lately, mostly cause I don't want to put in all the bread I've been eating. When do you get back from the vacation?

Seeing you workout and add entries everyday definitely helped motivate me :) tomorrow I go back to my diet, though I'm still gonna end up making sandwiches for lunches when I'm at school.

You've also been doing well at eating enough calories, so good for you in staying healthy! Maybe you should try staying away from animal fats, milk, cheese, dairy etc and see what happens. I'm certainly not suggesting going vegan, though I lost most of my recent weight loss doing that. Cutting carbs and dairy definitely helped, then of course sticking to lean meats and poultry, though I think you're already doing that right?

Cat

I'm working to lose weight too, but I'm taking my time and mostly just don't want it to go up too much further.

Would anyone like some suggestions or tips? I've lost weight in the past (only about 10-15 pounds), but I imagine if you're already working toward that goal, you already have a plan. I don't want to come off pushy.

Leeness

Im so with you Leeness. I've been putting it off cuz winter blues and all that, but I really need to start to pick up the slack nowwwwwww... aaaaa

Winter, but it's summer! :p

I put on some pounds while visiting my family. Damn you delicious homemade food! I've been watching what I've been eating the past month but it doesn't seem to be helping much. orz

Looool yep. Damn family.

Leeness is going to starve herself by going under 1200 calories. That's a horrible way to lose weight, and that's not even factoring in the exercise.

Just for a couple weeks to kick start any kind of weight loss. Not something to sustain. I should probably do a cleanse when I get back anyway and get rid of all the (glorious) Paris/Rome food anyway.

I can eat an untold amount of food and not gain weight. In fact, I'm underweight.

It helps that if I get any sort of food in a portion size that's too big I get grossed out. And portion sizes correlate directly with the rise in obesity rates...

You don't have to starve yourself. Just keep your portion sizes reasonable.

My friend can do what you do, eat forever and not gain a single pound. Me on the other hand, a carrot means 10lbs. Constant war with food for the rest of my life. I keep my portion sizes reasonable/small :p

It's ok! I've been terrible about using myfitnesspal lately, mostly cause I don't want to put in all the bread I've been eating. When do you get back from the vacation?

Seeing you workout and add entries everyday definitely helped motivate me :) tomorrow I go back to my diet, though I'm still gonna end up making sandwiches for lunches when I'm at school.

You've also been doing well at eating enough calories, so good for you in staying healthy! Maybe you should try staying away from animal fats, milk, cheese, dairy etc and see what happens. I'm certainly not suggesting going vegan, though I lost most of my recent weight loss doing that. Cutting carbs and dairy definitely helped, then of course sticking to lean meats and poultry, though I think you're already doing that right?

Back on September 17, cleanse and work out starts the 18 (provided I'm not jet lagged as hell lol).

Protein tho. :< I've cut carbs other than berries at night, and dairy is in most of my meals to up protein and fat. I dunno, I'll probably just eat carrots and celery for a couple weeks after I get back.

Start entering again! :)

I'm working to lose weight too, but I'm taking my time and mostly just don't want it to go up too much further.

Would anyone like some suggestions or tips? I've lost weight in the past (only about 10-15 pounds), but I imagine if you're already working toward that goal, you already have a plan. I don't want to come off pushy.

I already workout and eat healthy, but more tips would be great. I've lost weight in the past (40lbs) but my go at it this time has just had abysmal results. Super fucking disappointed and disgusted with myself. :/

Cat

I already workout and eat healthy, but more tips would be great. I've lost weight in the past (40lbs) but my go at it this time has just had abysmal results. Super fucking disappointed and disgusted with myself. :/

To that, I can only add drink lots of water and logging weight, which I gather you are already doing. I would always try to weigh myself around the same time of day and pick a specific day (Wednesday) where I would check my progress to decide if I could ease up or be more rigorous for the next week.

Leeness

To that, I can only add drink lots of water and logging weight, which I gather you are already doing. I would always try to weigh myself around the same time of day and pick a specific day (Wednesday) where I would check my progress to decide if I could ease up or be more rigorous for the next week.

Do all that already. :(

When I come back from my trip, I'm just going to cleanse and starve for a couple of weeks and hope it kick starts something.

Don't drink soda. I hear people lose a not unnoticeable amount of weight.

Haven't had soda in at least 4 years (other than ginger ale when I get super nauseous because it's the only thing that calms my nausea). :p

Leeness

(@Leeness- please don't eat under 1200 calories. To be honest, the shock of losing so much nutrition is going to wreck hell on your body. It's better to reduce what you eat every week. So, maybe eat 200 less the first two weeks, another 200 less for the next four weeks, and etc etc etc. But the bare minimum tends to be around 1,400~1,500 for average height American women [5'5"?]. If you're around 5'5", I would not drop less than 1,300.

I remember you from the other threads-- I know your self-confidence isn't always the best, but your weight isn't everything, even when looking at a purely physical attractive sense. The damage you'll do on your body if you suddenly starve it is really dangerous. Healthy weight change, be it gain or lose, is a slow process. Please don't fuck up your organs or your brain by depriving it of nutrition without warning. )

I already eat 1200. :p Just for a couple of weeks. 600-800 or so in carrots/celery/an egg or something. Then I'll go bak to 1200 and hopefully it will kick start something that hasn't worked for the past 4 months.

Zoe

I already eat 1200. :p Just for a couple of weeks. 600-800 or so in carrots/celery/an egg or something. Then I'll go bak to 1200 and hopefully it will kick start something that hasn't worked for the past 4 months.
It won't. That's not how it works.

suzu

Seriously, thank you everyone. You guys are awesome and this is my favourite community here. The support here is amazing. <3

Also Suzu, I'm sorry to hear that. Losing a pet is so painful and one you grew up with makes it even worse. Things reminding you also seriously hurts. :(

It's going to take some time to get used to this. When my dog passed last year, I was crushed for so long and now this, it just feels too soon. I hope I can just take my mind off of it with PAX coming up but even that's been soured from this happening just a couple days before we leave.

Thanks. It's tough knowing that their lives are so fleeting. :( I hope you have lots of fun at PAX.

Mono

Eat lots of protein, it fills you up!

And don't follow my lead: I've been eating way too many burgers since I've moved to America. Mmmm!

Leeness

That doesn't kick-start anyway.

The only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than what your body uses.

If you use 3000 calories a day, and you eat 2000 a day to survive, you will lose about 2 pounds a week. However, as you lose weight, your body needs less calories, so it scales with your weight and other factors.

I need 1,400 calories a day to maintain my weight. If I gained 20 pounds, I would need 1,600 (example).

Like I said, I already eat the minimum amount a day, 1200, and no results for the last 4 months. So either that means I need to work out more (2 hours instead of 1), or eat even less.

Seriously, food is my enemy. Every single thing I eat means I am gaining weight. When I drink tea, I am gaining weight, when I eat lettuce, I am gaining weight. There is no such thing as "maintain" for me. I am only ever gaining weight, or fighting tooth and nail not to get fatter.

Like I said, I already eat the minimum amount a day, 1200, and no results for the last 4 months. So either that means I need to work out more (2 hours instead of 1), or eat even less.

Seriously, food is my enemy. Every single thing I eat means I am gaining weight. When I drink tea, I am gaining weight, when I eat lettuce, I am gaining weight. There is no such thing as "maintain" for me. I am only ever gaining weight, or fighting tooth and nail not to get fatter.

Leeness I followed you here after your posts in FitGAF.

Please don't do what I think you're going to do. Starving yourself is counter intuitive to weight loss and not only that, will make you gain weight because of increased stress levels. You'll also be malnourished and your body won't properly function.

You should consider seeing a therapist and a nutritionist, because doing it alone isn't working and you openly avoid FitGAF's advice when you post.

This is coming from a 5'10 220 lb guy whose weight Yoyoed from 175 to 250 and in between, back and forth for 3 years because of shit dieting.

Winter, but it's summer! :p

le gasp

i've been reading the climate wrong D:

:> good luck on weight loss leeness! but hope you will do it healthily... seems from the replies you are considering starvation as a dietary option ;__;

dax, aaaah im sort of like you, i have a super fast metabolism, but in the winter i have the habit of napping after foods, and i've gained a few kilos. im 5'4" and currently at 110 pounds, but for my mom, that's overweight. she always comments whenever i go past 98. so im trying to get back to 98, cuz summer's coming and i wanna wear short shorts without my mom commenting about my body when she's around :x

Back on September 17, cleanse and work out starts the 18 (provided I'm not jet lagged as hell lol).

Protein tho. :< I've cut carbs other than berries at night, and dairy is in most of my meals to up protein and fat. I dunno, I'll probably just eat carrots and celery for a couple weeks after I get back.

Start entering again! :)

Protein powders are awesome at giving yOu protein, same with eggs, which isn't like other dairy. I mix some protein powder in my veggie juice for breakfast and have a egg and I've already reached like half my protein goal for the day! For fat I do avocados and nuts, especially almonds. Such great fatty foods!

I'll give Yu some advice that's super important if you're going under 1200 calories, don't starve yourslef for too long as it damages your metabolism. Example: if you continuously eat 300-600 calories a day, most people would assume you'd lose weight, but that's not necessarily the reality. After a while, your body gets used to that amount and sort of shuts down the metabolism to compensate. If you're going to go under and eat less, make sure to change that amount per day. Let's say you eat 800 calories, which a lot of people may think that sounds insane, but you can actually eat a lot of food that will keep you full, but be under that amount... Anyways, let's say you eat 800, the next day you should eat more than that, 1000-1200. You could eat 800 for a couple of days in a row, but you HAVEto make sure you're getting cheat days in.

Keep in mind I'm not saying thiat is what you should do, in fact, you shouldn't, but if you do it, I certainly can't stop you and at least will explain that prolonged caloric deficiency will shut your metabolism down fast, then When you finally do inevitably binge, your body won't be able to handle all those calories

I know your working out. Is your net 1200 or is it less? It could be your metabolism as well, are you taking vitamin supplements? I've also found regular 30 minute sauna/baths have helped with my slowing metabolism as I'm closing in on 30.

Koriandrr

I lost 4kg just by counting my calories and not exceeding 1300. I think 1200 is too little to be honest. I'm what people call 'petite' build, not quite Asian (i'm white) though and my healthy minimum is 1300, so I really think you gotta be super tiny to eat less than that and still be healthy.

Leeness, what kinds of things are you eating? It's not so much the calories as it is the amount of sugar, trans fats, etc. that you're eating.

Also, what kinds of exercises are you doing?

I haven't been in here in a while, but I'm sorry for your loss, Wazzy :(. He was adorable; I hope you and Gugi are doing alright. Let me know if you need anything.

Anastasia

Holy shit o_O. I'm an inch taller than you but I'm 105. 110 would be an ideal weight for me (I actually want to weight 115). I'm also Asian with tiny bones. Your mother..... sorry to hear about that.

If it makes you feel better, my parents told me I should never wear short shorts or tank tops because I'm too thin and I don't look good exposing my body. haha. I just smile at them and continue buying more show-y stuff, because it's my body.

I've received some negative comments about my weight (I weigh 110 and am 5'9.5"), but from other members of my family. My mom was as skinny as me at my age, so she likes to say that when I'm older things will change. Honestly just 5-10 pounds more would be fine with me.

In terms of dieting I know what I have to do, but it's a matter of whether or not I want to feel sick doing it. I "carry" my skinniness well, and it's just the way I am. I don't know how I feel about trying to force myself to gain weight, over and over again, and feeling like crap.

meow

The last few posts have kicked my butt into subscribing to the nutrition and fitness OTs on gaf! I had a pretty unhealthy summer, didn't gain weight but didn't work out either, so I'm sure I've lost muscle/tone.

Anastasia

Oh trust me, I totally understand you. I can't stand eating more because I feel nauseous when I eat too much-- just too full!

I'm skinny and while I get that not everyone will be attracted to me, and maybe I'll be "too thin" for many men, there are people that will love me for me so, as long as I'm healthy and happy, whatever :)!

So yay for the skinnygirls coalition. It kinda sucks with the whole recent backlash against being skinny, because I really want to tell them to celebrate their weight without criticizing mine, but a lack of empathy is just a normal, human trait. haha

Yeah, I try not to care what other people think, but it can be hard sometimes. I remember getting a routine eye exam a few months ago, and the last thing the optometrist said to me was, "We need to put some weight on you!"

And then I've had situations like when I was being seated in a restaurant and was called "the skinny one" out loud (to which I got visibly pissed off at that person). I guarantee you if I wasn't skinny that person wouldn't have said one word, but it's like if someone is skinny they don't seem to give a fuck, and empathy goes out the window. Or another example: My parents were having a garage sale, and my mom and I were outside helping people with stuff, and I overheard two people say to my mom that "I could use a good meal."

It can get really frustrating. Like you said, you don't have to tear down my weight in order to celebrate yours. How about we just celebrate one another instead.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
How about we just celebrate one another instead.

This is what I would love. I was teased for being skinny when I was in Elementary~ Middle school, it was pretty awful. I also witnessed my sister get horrible insults for being heavy and that made me see things with a better eye.

Despite how awful it was for me, it was bad for her as well. That's why I'm unable to take sides and instead would prefer we band together.

Anastasia

This is what I would love. I was teased for being skinny when I was in Elementary~ Middle school, it was pretty awful. I also witnessed my sister get horrible insults for being heavy and that made me see things with a better eye.

Despite how awful it was for me, it was bad for her as well. That's why I'm unable to take sides and instead would prefer we band together.

Right, it doesn't have to be a petty war, but sometimes it feels that way. I have been bullied about my weight all my life, and have seen others get bullied a lot for theirs; weight-shaming is terrible all around.

Leeness

Just for however long a cleanse is. They're usually some silly number like 9 days.

I don't ignore them. I changed some of my eating and exercising habits (did less cardio and more weights).

But I will not go over 1200ish (between 1200 and 1300 usually...) calories. I only do it on cheat days (usually Saturdays at my parents) and that is it. ...and I'm not really going to monitor during my trip. But normal day eating habits, I'm not going to do it. Eating is what got me here in the first place.

le gasp

i've been reading the climate wrong D:
:> good luck on weight loss leeness! but hope you will do it healthily... seems from the replies you are considering starvation as a dietary option ;__;

Iiiiii guess you're not in my hemisphere :3

Just for a cleanse. :)

Eggs and protein powder and almonds, yas! I hate avocado though. :(

I'm only going to do it for a cleanse so only whatever the arbitrary number of days is, usually 9 or 10 lol.

My total calories is 1200ish, but when I work out, my net is...whatever. 800-1000. Or less, depending on the workout.

Leeness, what kinds of things are you eating? It's not so much the calories as it is the amount of sugar, trans fats, etc. that you're eating.

Also, what kinds of exercises are you doing?

Believe, I watch that shit like a hawk. I macro count and calorie count and weigh everything on a scale. I don't eat sugar, I use sweetener. I only drink water/milk/tea. Veggies, eggs, meat, cheese.

I'm 5'4 and 158 or so.

And I weigh everything that goes into my mouth except for milk because it randomly gets put into tea throughout the day. But I make almost everything I eat, weigh it, count its calories, macros.

So, yes, I eat approximately 1200 calories a day and work out, and don't lose weight. I've only lost maybe, at most, 10lbs in almost 5 months. That is pathetic. It's disgusting and I fucking hate my body for it. I've gotten myself tested for thyroid issues. I've gotten blood work done. Nothing. No actual reason my body is a fat-hording piece of garbage. It's infuriating.

Edit: Also, lol, your BMR calculator says I should consume 920 cals a day to lose 2lbs a week. Thanks calculator, for backing me up! Haha.

Bunbunnnn you cant be taller than me ;___; you're so much cuter, awwwwwwwww this ain't right yooooo

<3

OMG I love besada in the Sarkeesian thread <3 he was just.... Awesome! Instead of whatever, he just asked them to put their money where their mouths are. And if they can really make better videos highlighting the issues of sexism in videogames, I'd like to see this happen too!!!

Besada, ILU <3

Platy

Don't drink soda. I hear people lose a not unnoticeable amount of weight.

I am starting to win weight because of this .... I started a new work at a marketing agency and I HATE coffee ... so I need something to make me awake and these are the cheapest options :

vpx9nsY.png

and the diet ones takes away my will to live, so ... =P

But I need more money than a smaller frame now so be it

I built a PC for today! It was my first time ever doing something like that.

I am NEVER doing it again.

awwww grats youuuuu :D

.... and dont worry, you will be back! i said the same thing the first time i built mine too and...... i keep coming back to build more haha.... but but yesssss i understand the pain :)

for me, installing the fan was the trickiest bit... :x

but after all's said and done, it was really worth it !

:D

Anastasia

I built a PC for today! It was my first time ever doing something like that.

I am NEVER doing it again.

I might be building my first PC later in the year; depends on how determined or lazy I am, haha.

I like those super combo deal thingies that Newegg has. I figure I could get everything from there and then hope for the best.

suzu

The most annoying part of building your own PC is troubleshooting. Had to put my current PC together twice because I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't turn on. lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah mine keeps on saying overclocking error even though I never OC'd it, but I can bypass that and boot anyways. Very strange problems arise from upgrading!

Top Bottom