• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Somewhat on that note, surprising people when I am crude or when it doesn't phase me when other are. I think pervy jokes are entertaining and boys self-censor themselves around me even when I tell them don't mind. It's always funny when boys are astonished when I or other women get just as vulgar as them. Especially anything pertaining to menstrual cycles.

Same. Took ages for most of my close friends to adjust to me and to not treat me like your stereotypical "lady", and more like a tomboy. I was the only girl in a predominantly male family so I grew up rough housing, playing games, and all that good shit with all my older brothers. Growing up burping, farting, and cock jokes all came naturally to me!

I ship so hard y'all.

I think my first ship was Mulder and Scully.

Then Spike and Buffy.
Then Doctor/Anyonebutrose

Now my current obsession is JohnLock and my OtP is Destiel. >.<

I'm the opposite, I crushed hard on Vegeta and had moments of Trunks :p

OMG DESTIEL <3 And yesyesyesyes on Vegeta crush. Trunks was cute but Vegeta was kingu~ <3333

ISHIBB, what's your current OTP??? aaaaaaaaaawwwwwww

um... i dont have a current otp... :< but the last pairing that kind of sort of was cutey to me was ThorLoki

OH I LIE. Jaime x Brienne is my OTP

HOHOHO

um. fav thing about being a girl........ idk. im still reconciling with the fact that i wasn't born a boy every day. dad wanted a son sooooo i tried hard to be that for a long, long time

:x

i do like my lips? i guess? haha .___.;;;;;;;;;

OMG DESTIEL <3 And yesyesyesyes on Vegeta crush. Trunks was cute but Vegeta was kingu~ <3333

ISHIBB, what's your current OTP??? aaaaaaaaaawwwwwww

um... i dont have a current otp... :< but the last pairing that kind of sort of was cutey to me was ThorLoki

OH I LIE. Jaime x Brienne is my OTP

HOHOHO

um. fav thing about being a girl........ idk. im still reconciling with the fact that i wasn't born a boy every day. dad wanted a son sooooo i tried hard to be that for a long, long time

I have the same problem wishing to be a boy :( Though I love wearing dresses and makeup and really admire strong women and want to be like them, I myself don't particularly feel feminine.

I have the same problem wishing to be a boy :( Though I love wearing dresses and makeup and really admire strong women and want to be like them, I myself don't particularly feel feminine.
You do not want to be a boy. If you never, ever listen to me on anything else, please listen to me on this: being a boy is one of the worst things ever.
Obviously transmen would disagree... :p
But still! Trust me. Itchy facial hair and having to shave your face all the time? ughewmahgod The droning influence of testosterone? *gags* Rough skin? ummmm

If you want me to go on, I can!

I don't really wish I was a boy, but I can't really say what my favorite thing about being a girl is. Everything also has a downside :(

I hardly ever feel feminine either.
There are down sides to almost everything, yeah.

It's weird. When it comes to being a girl versus a boy, your brain is programmed to feel right with one or the other (or neither, in that very rare case).

And when that match up doesn't occur between brain and body.... :(

You do not want to be a boy. If you never, ever listen to me on anything else, please listen to me on this: being a boy is the worst thing ever.
Obviously transmen would disagree... :p
But still! Trust me. Itchy facial hair and having to shave your face all the time? ughewmahgod The droning influence of testosterone? *gags* Rough skin? ummmm

If you want me to go on, I can!

hmmm hmmm i think i'd put up with coarse masculine skin / features if i could do away with a lot of social trappings assigned to women

like, my parents never expected too much of me, thinking that i'd be married by a certain age and then be the pillar of my own little family unit, etc. i saw my cousins, the dudes, and they were pushed or expected to forge ahead, but being a girl, everyone was like, just be pretty and nice.

maybe asian upbringing? idk

i'm the breadwinner in my relationship atm. my gf is still a student, but my parents don't really regard my independence as a necessarily terrific thing. they dont mean bad, they are just a product of their generation and i love them, but yeah....

another thing is about personal safety, sometimes i feel i wish i was a boy so that i wouldn't feel so intimidated

there are so much spaces where being a boy seems to be the natural preset that i admit i have been envious for years and years

gaming, for one

but it's nice to hear from your perspective dax, i guess... of course being a boy wouldn't be all what it's cracked up to be in my idealised mind, but yeah...

... i still struggle with this.

hmmm hmmm i think i'd put up with coarse masculine skin / features if i could do away with a lot of social trappings assigned to women

Look at it this way. Being born in the wrong body is so bad that, despite the way women are treated in western society in comparison to men, you have male-to-female transitions.

Because, in the end, it's not worth it. That mismatch is too unbearable. Besides, if you want to be a man to escape the social trappings of being female, remember, that wouldn't solve the core problem! :p

Look at it this way. Being born in the wrong body is so bad that, despite the way women are treated in western society in comparison to men, you have male-to-female transitions.

Because, in the end, it's not worth it. That mismatch is too unbearable. Besides, if you want to be a man to escape the social trappings of being female, remember, that wouldn't solve the core problem! :p

Oh of course, if the body feels wrong, it doesn't matter what society has to offer ! I understand *nodsnods

But yea, if I am asked what's so fab being a girl.... I have to say, I am at a loss for gushing replies.

And nono. it's not like I want to be a man? More like... idle envy... kind of thing. Irrational, I know. That's why I say it's something that I still struggle with, inwardly. I needz to be able to reconcile my value system and um... I still have loads to learn on how to appreciate my girl-side-thingyness.

Oh of course, if the body feels wrong, it doesn't matter what society has to offer ! I understand *nodsnods

But yea, if I am asked what's so fab being a girl.... I have to say, I am at a loss for gushing replies.

And nono. it's not like I want to be a man? More like... idle envy... kind of thing. Irrational, I know. That's why I say it's something that I still struggle with, inwardly. I needz to be able to reconcile my value system and um... I still have loads to learn on how to appreciate my girl-side-thingyness.

I understand. One of the things before transitioning from male to female I didn't expect was how bad girls have it in comparison to men. Or rather, it hit me like a sack of bricks. And as time goes on, the more pro-woman I get, because the experiences and inequalities just keep hitting me.

As such, a lot of former HaloGAF (and a couple of other folks on NeoGAF) have turned to hating me because I bring up the issue of female representation in videogames a lot, and similar issues – hey, I call it as I see it – and they don't want to hear any of that. I'm a "shitlord" who has an agenda.

Oh well. It doesn't bother me too much because I know I'm right, but it just disappoints me that people like that exist.

And not only do I have to deal with the social inequalities of being female, I have to deal with different social inequalities of being transgender. And worrying about things cisgender people never worry about! And yet, despite those crushing inequalities and problems, am I glad I transitioned? Hell yeah. I put myself on the path to being happy with me. (It also helps that I've had as good of a transition as anybody could ask for). You wouldn't be able to tell unless I told you; I even got the voice nailed down!

Anastasia

Okay! Hopefully this topic is a better idea than my last one.

Every time I meet another woman and sense that we're going to become friends, I always like to ask this question: What is your favorite thing about being a girl? Specifically, what is it about being a girl that you don't think men can experience or experience as well?

It's a difficult question, but it's one worth thinking about, I believe. For me, the answer is looking pretty in a way that only a girl can. It's that feminine glow, you know? I love it.

My favorite thing about being a girl is being comfortable in my own skin.

I don't think women have a special form of prettiness over men; I have seen too many pretty men for me to think that it's a quality either unique and/or superior in women. This is putting aside that what is considered pretty varies among people and cultures. I also think that line of thinking can lead to added pressure on those who are outside gender and beauty norms to conform.

I actually consider myself more genderfluid than anything. I have a lot of warped mentality concerning my appearance, and I've come to the conclusion that even if I changed my sex, it wouldn't fix my problems in the least. Of course this has nothing to do with trans or anything. My poor body image also has nothing to do with my gender identity. I really just consider myself more androgynous than anything. What I should have said was all my childhood up to my early 20s, I felt and wished more than anything to be a boy. In my late twenties, I've realized that wouldn't change anything for me.

I understand. One of the things before transitioning from male to female I didn't expect was how bad girls have it in comparison to men. Or rather, it hit me like a sack of bricks. And as time goes on, the more pro-woman I get, because the experiences and inequalities just keep hitting me.

As such, a lot of former HaloGAF (and a couple of other folks on NeoGAF) have turned to hating me because I bring up the issue of female representation in videogames a lot, and similar issues – hey, I call it as I see it – and they don't want to hear any of that. I'm a "shitlord" who has an agenda.

Oh well. It doesn't bother me too much because I know I'm right, but it just disappoints me that people like that exist.

And not only do I have to deal with the social inequalities of being female, I have to deal with different social inequalities of being transgender. And worrying about things cisgender people never worry about! And yet, despite those crushing inequalities and problems, am I glad I transitioned? Hell yeah. I put myself on the path to being happy with me. (It also helps that I've had as good of a transition as anybody could ask for). You wouldn't be able to tell unless I told you; I even got the voice nailed down!

I think you're very brave and amazing :>

And I hope and glad that you've put yourself on the path to find your own happiness <3 Much respect yo o7

Also, you're really, really pretty <3 And I have to say you own your femininity with so much more fabness than I :D

I actually consider myself more genderfluid than anything. I have a lot of warped mentality concerning my appearance, and I've come to the conclusion that even if I changed my sex, it wouldn't fix my problems in the least. Of course this has nothing to do with trans or anything. My poor body image also has nothing to do with my gender identity. I really just consider myself more androgynous than anything. What I should have said was all my childhood up to my early 20s, I felt and wished more than anything to be a boy. In my late twenties, I've realized that wouldn't change anything for me.

Wow, you put it so eloquently! ... I think this is how I feel, too. Except that I had that complications about my dad's wishes and its effects on my gender identity. But other than that, thanks for putting words into this reply, AY! It really nails my emotional position about gender and being a girl at the moment.

I also think that line of thinking can lead to added pressure on those who are outside gender and beauty norms to conform.
I don't see how my thinking women having a feminine glow that men can't have leads to pressure of those who don't conform to gender norms. Please don't group me like that.

Arsenic, was is it about your body that you're having trouble with? Were you the one that posted that picture of you sitting down somewhere (you had short hair, I think it was in a subway?). You were tired after a long day. You look great!

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I ship so hard y'all.

I think my first ship was Mulder and Scully.

Then Spike and Buffy.
Then Doctor/Anyonebutrose

Now my current obsession is JohnLock and my OtP is Destiel. >.<

I'm the opposite, I crushed hard on Vegeta and had moments of Trunks :p

Y'all probably wouldn't know about mine, it's from Samurai Warriors. These two characters by the name of Sakon and Mitsunari. Just makes me scream. (Yeah it's m/m haha)

Y'all probably wouldn't know about mine, it's from Samurai Warriors. These two characters by the name of Sakon and Mitsunari. Just makes me scream. (Yeah it's m/m haha)

i knows them!!!!

very cute otp!

<3

does ishibb watch basara? theres a mitsunari there too, i think... haha... :x i like the dokusen ryu and his second in command in basara :x

fiction, i like destiel butbutbut dean can be a massive jerk to castiel sometimes he frustrates me so mad

castiel is so adorbs <3

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I completely understand, even if I don't know the show. Destiel makes me make noises I shouldn't be capable of making. And it's not even canon or ever likely to be because that would be too edgy for a show that is known for being edgy as shit ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Stop eye fucking and kiss already ahhh.

/fangirl

That's how it is for Sakonari LOL

They get so much fanservice I'm like pls kiss. *screaming*

For an idea of their relationship, Sakon's always telling Mitsunari how pretty he is and even played music (badly) just to make him smile. Mitsunari is always doing something to get Sakon's attention and gets teased for it but ultimately they can work together and even have an understanding that's sometimes not even spoken. (Mitsunari is a leader while Sakon's a masterless samurai so seeing him want to be his equal is really cute)

i knows them!!!!

very cute otp!

<3

does ishibb watch basara? theres a mitsunari there too, i think... haha... :x i like the dokusen ryu and his second in command in basara :x

fiction, i like destiel butbutbut dean can be a massive jerk to castiel sometimes he frustrates me so mad

castiel is so adorbs <3

OMG YOU DO!

YES I KNOW BASARA IT'S AWESOME XD

Masamune and Kojuro in Basara are a lot like Sakonari. Even in the dynamic, only Mitsunari is really pouty and sensitive unlike Masamune aka put your guns on LOL (he's great)

Anastasia

I don't see how my thinking women having a feminine glow that men can't have leads to pressure of those who don't conform to gender norms. Please don't group me like that.

You wrote this:

It's a difficult question, but it's one worth thinking about, I believe. For me, the answer is looking pretty in a way that only a girl can. It's that feminine glow, you know? I love it.

There is a difference between saying what you like, and making an objective statement about what is and is not pretty.

There is a difference between saying what you like, and making an objective statement about what is and is not pretty.

Um, I think you're either reading too much into (or misreading) what I wrote. Have you ever seen me pressure someone on this forum for not conforming to gender standards?

"Pretty" can mean many different things, and can take many different forms. For example, when you said "pretty men," I have no idea what that means exactly. But I was trying to convey a form of prettiness, a feminine glow that women have, that I love about being female.

:(

Kinsei

Banned
You girls are making me want to start watching Supernatural again. I don't think I even made it to the point where Castiel is introduced. (I stopped at the start of either season 3 or 4, can't remember which.)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I can't say I have a favourite thing about being a girl either. Maybe what Jezebel said, the part where people underestimate you.

Also, YesNo, kendo gear is not that complicated to wear. :) You do need to be explained it, because it's not 100% intuitive, but once you get it down, it becomes second nature, like tying your shoelaces.

There is something I've been wondering, regarding gender dysphoria (is that the right term? basically what trans people suffer from, the feeling of being born in the wrong body/gender). Obviously, the treatment for this disorder is transition, and the evidence is solid: people who suffered from this and successfully transitioned are happier and feel better about their bodies and so on. Basically, gender dysphoria is the disorder, and transition is the treatment (correct me if I'm spouting bollocks, of course).
What I wonder is this: right now, the only treatment that I know of is transitioning. But, hypothetically, if there were, say, a drug that treated the feeling of dysphoria, so to speak, perhaps the same way antidepressants work, do you think anyone would ever choose that over the full process of transition? Or would that be unthinkable because the dysphoria is so strong that only altering the body would be acceptable? Or perhaps it depends on the person, since I've heard people who self-identify as a different gender than their birth sex, but still won't fully transition for various reasons.

Just something I've wondered, and I'd be interested in your perspective on this. :)

Anastasia

Um, I think you're either reading too much into (or misreading) what I wrote. Have you ever seen me pressure someone on this forum for not conforming to gender standards?

"Pretty" can mean many different things, and can take many different forms. For example, when you said "pretty men," I have no idea what that means exactly. But I was trying to convey a form of prettiness, a feminine glow that women have, that I love about being female.

:(

I sent you a PM.

There is something I've been wondering, regarding gender dysphoria (is that the right term? basically what trans people suffer from, the feeling of being born in the wrong body/gender). Obviously, the treatment for this disorder is transition, and the evidence is solid: people who suffered from this and successfully transitioned are happier and feel better about their bodies and so on. Basically, gender dysphoria is the disorder, and transition is the treatment (correct me if I'm spouting bollocks, of course).
What I wonder is this: right now, the only treatment that I know of is transitioning. But, hypothetically, if there were, say, a drug that treated the feeling of dysphoria, so to speak, perhaps the same way antidepressants work, do you think anyone would ever choose that over the full process of transition? Or would that be unthinkable because the dysphoria is so strong that only altering the body would be acceptable? Or perhaps it depends on the person, since I've heard people who self-identify as a different gender than their birth sex, but still won't fully transition for various reasons.

Just something I've wondered, and I'd be interested in your perspective on this. :)

I'm trans myself. Gender dysphoria is not the easiest thing to describe, but it stems from your gender identity (how your brain is wired), and your gender sex (your primary and secondary sexual characteristics) not lining up. If I could describe what it feels like, I would say that it feels like torture. Transitioning, which happens medically and socially, helps to treat dypshoria.

I don't think any trans men or women would choose that drug over transitioning, because the goal is to bring your body in alignment with your brain, and taking a drug to remove your dysphoria is not going to help you anywhere else, which would continue to cause you dysphoria anyway.

Hormones alone can help people dramatically in reducing their dysphoria. So I guess in that sense, that would be "the drug" that people take.

Arsenic, was is it about your body that you're having trouble with? Were you the one that posted that picture of you sitting down somewhere (you had short hair, I think it was in a subway?). You were tired after a long day. You look great!
It's not a simple answer. A lot of the issues stem from my upbringing and genetics, my mother suffered from bulimia for 15 years and would criticize every inch of me. Would talk about my stomach, body and face to the point where she'd once a week put me under one of those large light magnifying glass to look at the pores and blemishes of my face. At this point of my life, I'm starting to realize I may have body dismorphia. I'm never pleased about my looks, constantly fixated on my face and weigh myself 4-6 times a day (minimum) and any body hair is not permitted (though I've gotten much better about the hair issue, my current partner is the first to touch my hair with any stubble, and I've grown ok with growing pubic hair) I've recently quit purging (it's been about two weeks) but I still have other bad habits concerning eating disorders. I want to go to a doctor, but I have to wait until after I graduate in May. I don't think any way I'd look will make me feel good about myself, I need to work on myself before I can love the reflection. cutting my hair short was the best thing I made at 19, it forced me to not hide behind my thick long hair.

Don't know if I ever took a picture in the subway, maybe it was someone else?

There is something I've been wondering, regarding gender dysphoria (is that the right term? basically what trans people suffer from, the feeling of being born in the wrong body/gender).
Correct!
Obviously, the treatment for this disorder is transition, and the evidence is solid: people who suffered from this and successfully transitioned are happier and feel better about their bodies and so on. Basically, gender dysphoria is the disorder, and transition is the treatment (correct me if I'm spouting bollocks, of course).
Basically yes, as far as I know.

This is a difficult question to answer because it's both a good "What if?" question and ridiculous in that, it's like asking, "Would you take medicine to not like [insert thing that helps define you]?" (No malice in that use of the word "ridiculous," but just trying to draw an equivalence).

To answer your question...I don't know. Some people may take this medicine because they don't want to deal with the stress of transitioning – I believe it's one of the hardest things anyone can ever do. I also think a lot of people agree with that assessment. So I can see why some would take it. If that was available when I was deciding to make the transition, I'd say I would've been tempted, and I might have even taken it – and now I'm hating this hypothetical version of me who might have taken this hypothetical pill >.<

I would say I don't think it would be the best treatment. Because you're just getting rid of a fundamental part of someone, you know? Their gender identity. You're changing that part of them. Almost like a self-imposed brain washing.

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but I've always imagined that, if I were ever to meet the most boy me of the past (college-age) as I am now at a social event I went to, it'd be extremely hard not to walk up to the boy me and strangle him. Because I hated it. I hated being a boy. I was a fucking moron for waiting so long to transition, and it would've made high school and college easier and more fun.

I don't think I'm answering this question well. Is that enough? I'm rambling...

Amalthea

Banned

I guess I have to thank my mom then because she was basically all "Women have it so hard, everything is awful, Men are such assholes, they have it better, it's better being a man, rabble rabble, your father is an idiot." Like right from when I could understand human speech until this day 26 years later. Like yeah, it's true but my mom tends to overdramatize things and is incredebly pessimistic (my sister and I compare her to Grumpy Cat sometimes, she even got the face down). I was basically groomed to expect the worstest worst for women and my mother tells me everytime "Don't come crawling back to tell me that it's awful to be a woman!", sorry mom but while it's harder you set my expectations of the worst too high.

It's hard but becoming content with yourself is something you still can achieve and fighting for better equality is a good cause worth fighting for instead of giving up, marrying the next best douchebag and pop out a kid that you can drown in your tears instead.

(Yeah, I have complexes abouth my P's.)

And yes, beards are really, really annoying but I still don't get why I find them kind of sexy on guys.

And yes, beards are really, really annoying but I still don't get why I find them kind of sexy on guys.

Because beards look good on them. It's the combination of the rougher skin and the coarse beard hair that I think does it (I could be wrong).

Beards: they might be good-looking, but they're not so pleasant to have on your face :p

Would you take a pill that would somehow remove particular parts of your personality and sense of self? Would the end result still be you?

Transition is by far more than the physical alteration and modification of one's body to match one's gender identity, there is an immeasurable amount of growth on a psychological level and even on a spiritual level to some.

It's literally like a second puberty, when you finally get to connect, explore and liberate your true feelings, opinions and thoughts.

Amalthea

Banned
Because beards look good on them. It's the combination of the rougher skin and the coarse beard hair that I think does it (I could be wrong).

Beards: they might be good-looking, but they're not so pleasant to have on your face :p
That reminds me; as a kid I had an Action Man doll (European GI-Joe copy that stuck with the Barbie format) with a flocked beard.

I think I spent more time touching his abs and biceps or rubbing his beard on my cheeks than playing with him properly.

I was a gay, gay child...

(Why am I even telling that stuff in public.) :/

Amalthea, you're adorableeee d'awwwwwww <3

XD

Fiction, I love Dean and Castiel, but yeah, after that time where Dean was a constant jerk to Cas for a whole season I was really frustrated with him. Cas was just trying to do what he could, and okay, he turned out to be a really, really bad 'God', killing angels and stuff, but his intentions were good and he was drove into that corner by the Winchesters themselves.... ugghhhh I still get a bit grawrrr when I think about that season.

The new angel is cute too. Gadreel. Angels crack me up, tbh :>

I love Crowley though. He so sasssssssseh~

Kinsei, Supernatural is such my guilty pleasure, I definitely recommend you try to pick it back up. It's such an easy show to watch. Just remember: it's all cheese! Very good cheese :>

Ishibb! AAAAAAAAAAA FELLOW FEUDAL JAPAN FAN <333333

yeshyesh Sakonari is very cute amg *____*

i also likey yesh... masamune and kojuro *____* so cute. although i can also go for masamune and that retarded cutey with red headband who kept yelling at his sensei. omg i forgot all their names today for some reasons :x so bad of me. awwww i feel like a terrible fan now. um. aaaaah right, yukimura-chan

XD he's so hilarious :>

ok i stop nao .__.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I feel like this. I've been permanently confused about my sexuality and gender ever since I was about five or six, I guess. I'm just used to it now. I have no idea how I'm meant to be and I feel pretty repulsive most of the time, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably never really feel comfortable with "society" and the way it pigeonholes me. Most people feel so alien to me, I can't remember the last time I truly connected with someone other than my fiancée.

Dax, you're just about the coolest, fun-est person I've ever met on GAF. Great big fuzzies to you and keep on keeping on.

Anastasia

I can't express just how important it is to have someone who supports you for who you are. I lucked out in having the most amazing girlfriend in the universe. Along with the best mom and sister I could ask for. Without them I doubt I could handle all of the difficulties that come from being trans. Knowing how important having support is was one of the main reasons why I started a support channel for people who are trans or outside gender norms. With trans issues in particular, it can be extremely overwhelming to deal with. I have reached a point in my life where my dysphoria isn't much of an issue anymore, but if I was trying to do this on my own I don't think I would be here today.

We all need love and support to exist.

*Sends out hugs to GirlGAF*

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Correct!
Basically yes, as far as I know.
This is a difficult question to answer because it's both a good "What if?" question and ridiculous in that, it's like asking, "Would you take medicine to not like [insert thing that helps define you]?" (No malice in that use of the word "ridiculous," but just trying to draw an equivalence).
No problem, I get that it's a weird question.

To answer your question...I don't know. Some people may take this medicine because they don't want to deal with the stress of transitioning &#8211; I believe it's one of the hardest things anyone can ever do. I also think a lot of people agree with that assessment. So I can see why some would take it. If that was available when I was deciding to make the transition, I'd say I would've been tempted, and I might have even taken it &#8211; and now I'm hating this hypothetical version of me who might have taken this hypothetical pill >.<

I would say I don't think it would be the best treatment. Because you're just getting rid of a fundamental part of someone, you know? Their gender identity. You're changing that part of them. Almost like a self-imposed brain washing.

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but I've always imagined that, if I were ever to meet the most boy me of the past (college-age) as I am now at a social event I went to, it'd be extremely hard not to walk up to the boy me and strangle him. Because I hated it. I hated being a boy. I was a fucking moron for waiting so long to transition, and it would've made high school and college easier and more fun.

I don't think I'm answering this question well. Is that enough? I'm rambling...
I'm trans myself. Gender dysphoria is not the easiest thing to describe, but it stems from your gender identity (how your brain is wired), and your gender sex (your primary and secondary sexual characteristics) not lining up. If I could describe what it feels like, I would say that it feels like torture. Transitioning, which happens medically and socially, helps to treat dypshoria.

I don't think any trans men or women would choose that drug over transitioning, because the goal is to bring your body in alignment with your brain, and taking a drug to remove your dysphoria is not going to help you anywhere else, which would continue to cause you dysphoria anyway.

Hormones alone can help people dramatically in reducing their dysphoria. So I guess in that sense, that would be "the drug" that people take.

Would you take a pill that would somehow remove particular parts of your personality and sense of self? Would the end result still be you?

Transition is by far more than the physical alteration and modification of one's body to match one's gender identity, there is an immeasurable amount of growth on a psychological level and even on a spiritual level to some.

It's literally like a second puberty, when you finally get to connect, explore and liberate your true feelings, opinions and thoughts.
Thanks for the answers. You all make a lot of sense. So gender dysphoria is more than just birth sex and gender identity not lining up, but it's at the very core of your identity, and as such, it's far more than just treating the dysphoria the way you would treat, say, depression or bipolar disorder. I think I was erring in assuming that it was something similar to depression, basically some brain wiring that can be managed or treated through treatment (in this case, transitioning instead of anti-depressants), but it seems to go far beyond that. In which case I think you're right and very few would choose the hypothetical pill over transitioning, unless they had no other choice (such as living in a country where transitioning is not legal... I'm sure that exists, sadly :( or lacking the money for gender reassignment surgery, and so on).

Thanks again everyone for putting up with my stupid questions. I'm sure you get eye-rolling questions like that all the time, so I appreciate your patience in educating me. ^^

Anastasia

Thanks for the answers. You all make a lot of sense. So gender dysphoria is more than just birth sex and gender identity not lining up, but it's at the very core of your identity, and as such, it's far more than just treating the dysphoria the way you would treat, say, depression or bipolar disorder. I think I was erring in assuming that it was something similar to depression, basically some brain wiring that can be managed or treated through treatment (in this case, transitioning instead of anti-depressants), but it seems to go far beyond that. In which case I think you're right and very few would choose the hypothetical pill over transitioning, unless they had no other choice (such as living in a country where transitioning is not legal... I'm sure that exists, sadly :( or lacking the money for gender reassignment surgery, and so on).

Thanks again everyone for putting up with my stupid questions. I'm sure you get eye-rolling questions like that all the time, so I appreciate your patience in educating me. ^^

That's right; it's who you are born as. It is the deepest part of your self. I was born a woman, even though my body didn't want to cooperate with things. I am just as much of a woman as any you see walking down the street. No pill will ever change that.

It actually wasn't until a few years ago that the APA (American Psychiatric Association) stopped defining being transgender as a mental illness. That goes to show just how much progress still has to be made. Society by and large is not educated about trans issues; let alone being properly educated. Most people get their information from stereotypes. Things are gradually improving, but very slowly. Honestly just having visible positive role models can make a huge difference. I think someone like Laverne Cox is a wonderful example of that. Personally, since I have modeling aspirations, Carmen Carrera has been a huge influence and motivating force for me.

Also, there is no such thing as a stupid question; just people who are afraid of giving stupid answers. ;o

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's right; it's who you are born as. It is the deepest part of your self. I was born a woman, even though my body didn't want to cooperate with things. I am just as much of a woman as any you see walking down the street.
I definitely agree with that.
No pill will ever change that.
And this also. I realize that the hypothetical pill wouldn't alter your identity. I guess I was wondering if some folks would ever seek that as an alternative to transitioning, since transitioning is a difficult and complicated process. But, based on what you and others have said, that does appear unlikely.

It actually wasn't until a few years ago that the APA (American Psychiatric Association) stopped defining being transgender as a mental illness.
Yeah, being transgender isn't a mental illness, since successfully transitioned folks are happy and comfortable in their own skin. But would you say that gender dysphoria, pre-transition, is a mental disorder? Or perhaps it should be called something else?

Also, there is no such thing as a stupid question; just people who are afraid of giving stupid answers. ;o
>_>

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Serious question...

Does anybody else get huge anxiety / depression when forced to dress up for formal events (e.g. weddings etc). I don't mean a general reluctance, I mean tears, self-loathing (even self-harm) and nervous attacks?

Whenever I'm forced to be 'gendered' or 'be girly' and put myself on show it's just a huge trigger for me. Am I alone on this?

Amalthea

Banned
Serious question...

Does anybody else get huge anxiety / depression when forced to dress up for formal events (e.g. weddings etc). I don't mean a general reluctance, I mean tears, self-loathing (even self-harm) and nervous attacks?

Whenever I'm forced to be 'gendered' or 'be girly' and put myself on show it's just a huge trigger for me. Am I alone on this?
Yes, or at least it was.

Just the other way around. There's still a slight potential for a trigger since my mother has forbidden me to ever wear a dress in her presence.

Sounds like somebody won't get an invitation to my future wedding (Yeah, as if somebody would want to marry me. lol). :p

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, being transgender isn't a mental illness, since successfully transitioned folks are happy and comfortable in their own skin. But would you say that gender dysphoria, pre-transition, is a mental disorder? Or perhaps it should be called something else?
This is probably going to sound stupid but I think it isn't a mental disorder pre transition it should just be gender dysphoria. That's my understanding of it personal being pre anything.

Koriandrr

I really got bored of Supernatural around season 4. It's just pure fan(girl)service at this point and it's so cheesy, over the top and predictable I take no pleasure in watching it. :(

I used to really like it in the beginning /hipster

Yrael

I just flat out refuse to present myself in a way that isn't me. I have a nice suit that I wear rather than a dress. When I was in high school I was the only one who didn't go to the school formal for that reason...I couldn't stand the thought of standing around for hours in a showy dress. (These days I'd go - but wear a suit instead of a dress!)

Koriandrr

I just flat out refuse to present myself in a way that isn't me. I have a nice suit that I wear rather than a dress. When I was in high school I was the only one who didn't go to the school formal for that reason...I couldn't stand the thought of standing around for hours in a showy dress. (These days I'd go - but wear a suit instead of a dress!)

I think it goes the other way around too. Because I myself like to dress in cute dresses and all that stuff (don't really act that girly usually, I do have a swearing problem), but then I constantly get accused of 'not being a real gamer'. I mean, since when does your appearance define what kind of person you are or what you like? I've seen gamers that look very different, some fit the stereotype of 'nerd' look, some don't - why should anyone judge what you're like by your looks, no matter the situation? It's just silly. Anyone can look however they like and whatever they feel like, no matter what their likes or hobbies are.

EDIT: When I was a teenager I felt forced by society to wear tshirts of the stuff I like, so that I make it clear what I'm into and who I am as a person, but I never really like how tshirts look on me, I never thought it was a flattering or good look - I just wanted to send a message across. Later on I thought this was really stupid and if someone wanted to know what I'm into, they'd just ask. So I started dressing up nicely in clothes I thought were flattering, more me and just pretty. I've never felt better in my life.

Serious question...

No, you are totally not alone in that. I feel it too. Not to the degree of self-harm, but let's just say my boss wanted me to do the ice bucket challenge thing tomorrow, and I hate attention and I hate the thought of my blouse being so wet that the shape of my bras would be visible and i hate hate hate hate the thought of this, that i'm thinking i will take a sick leave tomorrow.

but no. I'll rock up to work tomorrow and will just tell him that I wont be participating but I'll donate the dollarz. way to go for guilttripping people into the charity, btw. bleh.

(i get that it's for a good cause, but the approach it has entered into my life was the worst possible angle that the movement is now tainted for me)

*grumblegrumblegrumble*

Koriandrr

No, you are totally not alone in that. I feel it too. Not to the degree of self-harm, but let's just say my boss wanted me to do the ice bucket challenge thing tomorrow, and I hate attention and I hate the thought of my blouse being so wet that the shape of my bras would be visible and i hate hate hate hate the thought of this, that i'm thinking i will take a sick leave tomorrow.

but no. I'll rock up to work tomorrow and will just tell him that I wont be participating but I'll donate the dollarz. way to go for guilttripping people into the charity, btw. bleh.

(i get that it's for a good cause, but the approach it has entered into my life was the worst possible angle that the movement is now tainted for me)

*grumblegrumblegrumble*

I just put on my N7 Black Milk dress. Appropriate or not, I am me. Not a single fuck is given.

EDIT: Usually with a blouse on top or underneath though, not really a cleavage kind of girl.

I just put on my N7 Black Milk dress. Appropriate or not, I am me. Not a single fuck is given.

EDIT: Usually with a blouse on top or underneath though, not really a cleavage kind of girl.

Boss requested we doing the ice bucket challenge in our work blouses. Because ... of reasons? I have no idea....

blergh

I hate being forced into doing 'outrageous' things for a ~good~ cause. People are so pushy.

Anastasia

I definitely agree with that.

And this also. I realize that the hypothetical pill wouldn't alter your identity. I guess I was wondering if some folks would ever seek that as an alternative to transitioning, since transitioning is a difficult and complicated process. But, based on what you and others have said, that does appear unlikely.

>_>

I think the problem is that a pill to remove dysphoria fundamentally cannot work, because in order for it to do that you would have to change more than just factors in the brain; you would have to change sexual characteristics as well. And at that point you have essentially developed a miracle pill that does everything. Actually, even then it wouldn't be enough, because for people who experience dysphoria based on not having a penis or a vagina, you would need more than a pill to change that.

Edit: This is excluding environmental factors that would worsen dysphoria as well.

I would not call it a mental disorder, as that implies that something is wrong in the brain, but there is nothing wrong with the brain; the problem is that the body does not line up with the brain which is causing the dysphoria. The problem isn't to treat the brain, but the body. I think calling it a symptom might work, but I could see that creating a slippery slope of discrimination, as symptom is usually related to an illness of some kind.

<(^.^<)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sounds like somebody won't get an invitation to my future wedding (Yeah, as if somebody would want to marry me. lol). :p

I'm glad its better now. And don't do yourself a disservice! Your posts are great and you're gorgeous.

Hahaha! You are my new hero!

I think it goes the other way around too. Because I myself like to dress in cute dresses and all that stuff (don't really act that girly usually, I do have a swearing problem), but then I constantly get accused of 'not being a real gamer'. I mean, since when does your appearance define what kind of person you are or what you like? I've seen gamers that look very different, some fit the stereotype of 'nerd' look, some don't - why should anyone judge what you're like by your looks, no matter the situation? It's just silly. Anyone can look however they like and whatever they feel like, no matter what their likes or hobbies are.

EDIT: When I was a teenager I felt forced by society to wear tshirts of the stuff I like, so that I make it clear what I'm into and who I am as a person, but I never really like how tshirts look on me, I never thought it was a flattering or good look - I just wanted to send a message across. Later on I thought this was really stupid and if someone wanted to know what I'm into, they'd just ask. So I started dressing up nicely in clothes I thought were flattering, more me and just pretty. I've never felt better in my life.

That's totally cool, I hope you don't think I'm judging you for that. If anything, I'm kind of jealous of your confidence.

Boss requested we doing the ice bucket challenge in our work blouses. Because ... of reasons? I have no idea....

blergh

I hate being forced into doing 'outrageous' things for a ~good~ cause. People are so pushy.

That sounds a bit dodgy imo. A bit creepy?

I guess I'm still working out how to get comfortable in my own skin. All my life I basically took the path of least resistance and I've done pretty well out of it, I have a great relationship and career, but I guess I just feel disconnected from 'who I really am' if there is such thing. Getting tattoo and piercings helped a bit, that was something where I was like "yup this is me". But I dunno, I'm 33 and still figuring it all out.

PS I forgot to say - gamer wise - if anybody plays diablo 3 on ps4 feel free to add me, join a game, whatever.

That sounds a bit dodgy imo. A bit creepy?

I guess I'm still working out how to get comfortable in my own skin. All my life I basically took the path of least resistance and I've done pretty well out of it, I have a great relationship and career, but I guess I just feel disconnected from 'who I really am' if there is such thing. Getting tattoo and piercings helped a bit, that was something where I was like "yup this is me". But I dunno, I'm 33 and still figuring it all out.

PS I forgot to say - gamer wise - if anybody plays diablo 3 on ps4 feel free to add me, join a game, whatever.

Aaah, yeaaah, I can understand. I'm also still just discovering how to be comfortable in my girl body. I think I've come to appreciate it more lately, but it's taken years. Im glad to hear that you're also getting more connected with yourself... tatts and piercings are very cool :) Im not game enough for them myself, but I've always found people who commit a lifelong statement to their bodies hella rad <3

Oh, my boss is a gay man. He's definitely not creepy. Just oblivious and he likes attention so he just assumes everyone's like him... he's really quite a decent bloke, just... yeah, pushy.

It otay though. I will just have to push back. I just dislike pushing back, cuz timid upbringing etc.

aaa D3. I play that on the pc. .... months ago... ;___; maybe I should re-look at it since I'm not gaming anything atm.... mmmm

Top Bottom