• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

iirate

Ironically, Dragon's Crown was probably my favourite game of 2013. Despite the problematic art design, I really, really, really enjoyed it. It's so much fun. But yeah, the character designs are icky.

I'm in the same situation with Blizzard and their games. Their treatment of women in their games can be gross at times, yet I play more of their stuff than anything else.

Also, that Witcher cleavage is awful. The main things that always kill female character designs in some games or comics are boob plate(ouch.) and heels on fighty characters. Strangely enough, some stuff is so unabashedly fantasy that I cease to have an issue with it(see Bayonetta, maybe even Dragon's Crown a bit). Granted, I haven't ever played either of those games, but that's the impression their art gives me. It's like old Frazetta art. It's not really my thing, but it's so extreme and far removed from reality in all respects(as opposed to just how it represents women) that I'm not as bothered by it.

Sevarus

For those of you who have waxed before, how long does it take for the hair to grow back? As in, if I have a date on October 10th, when should I get my ladyscaping done? My hair tends to grow back very quickly and I've never waxed before.

Okay, for an update, I went ahead and did it myself this afternoon (felt like such a badass, lol). Hurt like a bitch, but it wasn't that bad, overall.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm in the same situation with Blizzard and their games. Their treatment of women in their games can be gross at times, yet I play more of their stuff than anything else.

Also, that Witcher cleavage is awful. The main things that always kill female character designs in some games or comics are boob plate(ouch.) and heels on fighty characters. Strangely enough, some stuff is so unabashedly fantasy that I cease to have an issue with it(see Bayonetta, maybe even Dragon's Crown a bit). Granted, I haven't ever played either of those games, but that's the impression their art gives me. It's like old Frazetta art. It's not really my thing, but it's so extreme and far removed from reality in all respects(as opposed to just how it represents women) that I'm not as bothered by it.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but at the same time, it still annoys me. Frazetta is kind of the one who started the whole trend, so I pretty much blame him for contributing to making it so ubiquitous. :p
But yeah, I'm probably more annoyed at that Witcher design than I am with, say, this goofiness, because the Witcher does have aspirations to be taken seriously and that design is almost, almost, almost perfect. Seriously, it'd be so badass if it weren't for that stupid cleavage. :(

iirate

Yeah, I know what you mean, but at the same time, it still annoys me. Frazetta is kind of the one who started the whole trend, so I pretty much blame him for contributing to making it so ubiquitous. :p
But yeah, I'm probably more annoyed at that Witcher design than I am with, say, this goofiness, because the Witcher does have aspirations to be taken seriously and that design is almost, almost, almost perfect. Seriously, it'd be so badass if it weren't for that stupid cleavage. :(

Agreed on all counts. =)

Kimaka

The Amazon in Dragon's Crown looked cool to me because of how physically built she was. I wish I could see more female characters wielding heavy weapons and look like they can. The sorceress was eh but at least it looked like there was some diversity for the female characters because of the archer and amazon. Granted, I had no interest in the game in the first place so it was easy for me to ignore. I'll play games with women in unnecessary skimpy clothing but I'm less likely to give it a chance unless I've heard really good things about it. I get more angry at games that wants you to take their writing and lore seriously yet are lazy with the female character designs.

I just skimmed through the thread and, yeah, I agree. It's same with Ciri. She is so close to looking cool but they had to put her in high heels. She is a Witcher and has been established as a tomboy in the books. No way would she be like, "let me put on some high heels and cripple my ability to fight monsters."

Anastasia

High / Low five for crap health! Hurrah! :D

*High fives*

Thanks. It seems like when things pile on they pile on all at once. Being trans is not easy; who would have thought it.

I'm glad that you're feeling better. We should team up again in Destiny sometime and blast alien/robot things, and get some nice loot.

Ugh, yes. I hate it when it goes either way, but the end result is that no, we women aren't allowed to have our own ideas about what we can wear, and when. I am currently in a thread that insists that no, women can't be sexy if they want to be pro-women. What the hell, what happened to OUR choice.

Oh god, this reminds me how my ex pointed out the tactical heels Kerrigan evolved with (from Starcraft). We were at BlizzCon and he was laughing about how her Zerg form STILL involves heels... grown in.

-____-

that annie lennox thread is weird as. some dudes in there are like, yo women, i am totally pro women, but let me tell you how to feminism correctly cuz you gals have no idea about real empowerment

as if we are dumdums who do not understands the existing problems in the real world

also agrajag's snipe at you was gross as hell, bunbuns

SISFIST THO <3

and ya, that witcher costume would have rocked without the cleavage window :<

that annie lennox thread is weird as. some dudes in there are like, yo women, i am totally pro women, but let me tell you how to feminism correctly cuz you gals have no idea about real empowerment

as if we are dumdums who do not understands the existing problems in the real world

also agrajag's snipe at you was gross as hell, bunbuns

SISFIST THO <3

and ya, that witcher costume would have rocked without the cleavage window :<

I have not stepped in that thread yet as I don't think I've had enough coffee to tolerate it. It's going pear-shaped, then?

Pau

We never win. Either we're prudes who want to get rid of human sexuality or we don't understand how degrading it is to wear shorts, tights, and a t-shirt with some cleavage showing.

Cat

noplsbatman.png

WTF

I have not stepped in that thread yet as I don't think I've had enough coffee to tolerate it. It's going pear-shaped, then?

There are valuable posts in there, but in general, it devolved as per usual GAF threads on women's issues.

:x

You know, there was a similar thread that discussed women's issues a few weeks ago. I linked a thread in there to illustrate that when men's issues are being discussed, the women at GAF are super supportive. But it flew over their heads. They just kept arguing that women are uppity and women's issues are really men's issues, etc.

I .... look forward to a day in GAF where women's threads wont follow the same pattern. At this stage, though, it's almost as predictable as a Hollywood-by-the-number movies.

Pau, yep. We sure need the men to show us who we are and how to think !

XD;

Pau

I don't know why DC doesn't want me buying their shirts, because I will pay good money for non-ridiculous t-shirts of DC superheroes. Despite however much Kark makes fun of me for it.

Guys on the other hand get awesome shirts like a picture of Bruce with his arms crossed and the word "SWAG". Unfortunately, Google doesn't seem to be aware that this is a thing. Maybe 'cause it's only sold at Six Flags.

You'll never find me in one of those threads. I try to avoid even reading them. Oftentimes they just make my blood boil and I can't help but want to say stuff that will get me banned.

The online video game community has some absolutely toxic elements. I've been poking around online games and forums since I was about 12-13 and it's a fact that these elements contributed to a lot of the self esteem and depression issues I had as a teen. It's funny now looking back on it because I had a tremendous amount of fun playing competitive online games. Yet I'd often have interactions with people that would make me feel diminished and low.

And after all these years I feel largely responsible for putting myself in a position where I could be made to feel that way. I acted like an immature teenage girl because that's what I was but I still think people could have cut me some slack.

Aaaanyway. I actively encourage my little sisters and niece to play video games but if I catch any of them posting on video game forums I'll be having a serious talk with them.

We never win. Either we're prudes who want to get rid of human sexuality or we don't understand how degrading it is to wear shorts, tights, and a t-shirt with some cleavage showing.

Yeeeeeep.

There are valuable posts in there, but in general, it devolved as per usual GAF threads on women's issues.

:x

You know, there was a similar thread that discussed women's issues a few weeks ago. I linked a thread in there to illustrate that when men's issues are being discussed, the women at GAF are super supportive. But it flew over their heads. They just kept arguing that women are uppity and women's issues are really men's issues, etc.

I .... look forward to a day in GAF where women's threads wont follow the same pattern. At this stage, though, it's almost as predictable as a Hollywood-by-the-number movies.

Pau, yep. We sure need the men to show us who we are and how to think !

XD;

Ah, as expected, then. Guys getting defensive, but what about the men posts, and discrediting or discounting the women that do post. The usual gamut, then. \[-_-]/

Glad I didn't go in, in that case. Today is a happy, very special day of great potentials not to be ruined by silliness. :D

My book released today! Woo!

Uuuuuuuuggggggghhhh...

I hate this shit so much. -_-

You'll never find me in one of those threads. I try to avoid even reading them. Oftentimes they just make my blood boil and I can't help but want to say stuff that will get me banned.

The online video game community has some absolutely toxic elements. I've been poking around online games and forums since I was about 12-13 and it's a fact that these elements contributed to a lot of the self esteem and depression issues I had as a teen. It's funny now looking back on it because I had a tremendous amount of fun playing competitive online games. Yet I'd often have interactions with people that would make me feel diminished and low.

And after all these years I feel largely responsible for putting myself in a position where I could be made to feel that way. I acted like an immature teenage girl because that's what I was but I still think people could have cut me some slack.

Aaaanyway. I actively encourage my little sisters and niece to play video games but if I catch any of them posting on video game forums I'll be having a serious talk with them.

Mmmm, they can be toxic and after a while it's inevitable that you start losing it because you're so ground down by the same asswaddery arguments, but I do think they help you refine and polish your own position. I'm 50-50 on participating in them, but sometimes I just don't have the energy or willpower to counter the same stupidity over and over and over again.

Sorry that it had a bad impact on you overall. I can't imagine what it's like for you younger generations that grew up on this stuff. Chat rooms/forums were barely a thing by the time I was in my later teens, so my internet exposure was mostly post development years. Not that my addiction is any less pure than all of you guys! :D

Ah, as expected, then. Guys getting defensive, but what about the men posts, and discrediting or discounting the women that do post. The usual gamut, then. \[-_-]/

Glad I didn't go in, in that case. Today is a happy, very special day of great potentials not to be ruined by silliness. :D

My book released today! Woo!
:D

AMG

that is wondrous super fabulously awesome h.pro!!!!!!!!!!! <3333333333333333

can i buy it somewhere *____*

omg omg omg omg <3

AMG

that is wondrous super fabulously awesome h.pro!!!!!!!!!!! <3333333333333333

can i buy it somewhere *____*

omg omg omg omg <3

EbJPbce.jpg

I actually started it here on GAF in the 2012 NaNoWriMo thread and what I had finished there got picked up by a publisher (super pro-female creators/super inclusive to all pairings) that's been serializing it in their monthly mag. <-- which is super awesome if there are any avid readers in GG.

And it just released today as a whole! :D

The complete e-book (.pdf, .mobi, and .epub formats available) with all the illustrations and two bonus stories can now be purchased here: http://sparklermonthly.com/shop/ebooks/dead-endings-digital-edition/

It'll be up on Amazon soon too, but it helps the ladies at Sparkler out mucho if people buy it direct.

Some of the arts from the book (because Irene did an incredible job):

pofb9If.jpg
tF0BJ61.jpg
AOdvVeT.jpg

thank ye thank ye i will buy a copy direct from sparkler \o/

AAA

<333333333

Awwww, you don't have to buy it! You can read the first chapter for free and see it it catches your fancy. :D

Thanks for even looking at it. It's my first go and just a bit of easy fiction...

Might want to fix your linku there H.Pro but I'll check it out later! Congrats on the book release!

Oops. Fixed~ Thanks, Infinite. And cheers for the look. Sorry to have posted so much. I'm just a bit excited for it. #-_-#

Awwww, you don't have to buy it! You can read the first chapter for free and see it it catches your fancy. :D

Thanks for even looking at it. It's my first go and just a bit of easy fiction...

Oops. Fixed~ Thanks, Infinite. And cheers for the look. Sorry to have posted so much. I'm just a bit excited for it. #-_-#

yaaaaaaaaaaaay bought bought \o/

waw super windy today T___T melbourne weather so wild :x

Koriandrr

this reminds me of my first world comic book heroine problem.

As some of you might tell by my nickname, I love Starfire. However, she seems to be associated with being a mindless, naked, sex-bomb nowadays... which makes people assume that I'm the same, or some shit like this.

I love Starfire not because she's half-naked 99% of the time, but because she loves people, she's passionate, she protects what she cares for and she's strong - both physically and emotionally. She's someone I used to look up to as a kid.

There. I LET IT GO! :D

EbJPbce.jpg

I actually started it here on GAF in the 2012 NaNoWriMo thread and what I had finished there got picked up by a publisher (super pro-female creators/super inclusive to all pairings) that's been serializing it in their monthly mag. <-- which is super awesome if there are any avid readers in GG.

The complete e-book (.pdf, .mobi, and .epub formats available) with all the illustrations and two bonus stories can now be purchased here: http://sparklermonthly.com/shop/ebooks/dead-endings-digital-edition/

It'll be up on Amazon soon too, but it helps the ladies at Sparkler out mucho if people buy it direct.

pofb9If.jpg
tF0BJ61.jpg
AOdvVeT.jpg
WOW this looks amazing!
will buy it as soon as I have some money to spare :D love the art and the story sounds just like my cup of tea.
congrats, hpro <3

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
*High fives*

Thanks. It seems like when things pile on they pile on all at once. Being trans is not easy; who would have thought it.

I'm glad that you're feeling better. We should team up again in Destiny sometime and blast alien/robot things, and get some nice loot.

Definitely!! We were trying to set up an all female raid team to potentially be one of the first (if not the first) to do it. So far we have three people, so if you or anyone who plays Destiny is interested let me know!

Hope you feel better soon.

this reminds me of my first world comic book heroine problem.

As some of you might tell by my nickname, I love Starfire. However, she seems to be associated with being a mindless, naked, sex-bomb nowadays... which makes people assume that I'm the same, or some shit like this.

I love Starfire not because she's half-naked 99% of the time, but because she loves people, she's passionate, she protects what she cares for and she's strong - both physically and emotionally. She's someone I used to look up to as a kid.

There. I LET IT GO! :D

Insert predictable Elsa gif.

Post all you want! You've done something amazing &#128516;

EmiPrime

I have a one off job for a few nights, I have to wear "smart casual" but I have no shoes that will go well with a dress and I am too poor to get something nice. Can I get away with wearing trainers?

halp girlgaf

EmiPrime

I have a black dress. Guess i'll get a cheap pair of flat black pumps with bows on the front instead of risking embarrassing myself. Hate girly shoes but i'll suck it up. :(

Anastasia

That is very cool H.Pro. Congrats!

Definitely!! We were trying to set up an all female raid team to potentially be one of the first (if not the first) to do it. So far we have three people, so if you or anyone who plays Destiny is interested let me know!

Thank you. ^^ I would love to do that; the only thing is that I'm a level 22, so I don't know how helpful I would be. I really like the the idea of an all female raid team though!

I have a one off job for a few nights, I have to wear "smart casual" but I have no shoes that will go well with a dress and I am too poor to get something nice. Can I get away with wearing trainers?

halp girlgaf

I would not wear trainers. A simple pair of heels would be fine; they're good to have anyway and will come in handy a lot. Flats as Dragonz suggested would work too.

besada

Banned

Where's the best place to buy it from? In other words, which gets you the most money?

Edit: Oops, saw that you just mentioned to buy it direct. Please ignore this message.

Kimaka

EbJPbce.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pofb9If.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tF0BJ61.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AOdvVeT.jpg

Congratulations! It looks fantastic. I'm going to have to check this out.

yaaaaaaaaaaaay bought bought \o/

waw super windy today T___T melbourne weather so wild :x

;_; Daaaw, thanks, YesNOnoNOYes! Let me know what you think!

And, yeah, the weather sure was blustery. The fence behind us is about to go over. one more windy day and it's doomed. Love that kind of stuff, though.

WTF @ those shirts... I have no words

And congrats H Pro! Gonna check out what this is about. The art looks cool!

The shirts are eye-rollers to be sure. Did you see the DC thread about it today, though? DC admitted they dun fucked up and they're going to fix it. Refreshing.

And thanks! It's been a long time in progress, but it didn't come out too badly. :) The art rocks, and I got an illustration for every chapter plus the bonus stuff. Lucky!

WOW this looks amazing!
will buy it as soon as I have some money to spare :D love the art and the story sounds just like my cup of tea.
congrats, hpro <3

Awww, thanks, chica! It's a bit of easy, hopefully entertaining, reading. I recommend pairing it with a Shiraz or meaty red and reading it in the dark. :D

Insert predictable Elsa gif.

Post all you want! You've done something amazing &#128516;

Cheers, sploatee. I'm sort of vacillating between excitement for it, worry that it's not very good, and a bit of shame for self-promotion. -_-;

Mostly excitement, though. :D

That is very cool H.Pro. Congrats!

Thank you. ^^ I would love to do that; the only thing is that I'm a level 22, so I don't know how helpful I would be. I really like the the idea of an all female raid team though!

I would not wear trainers. A simple pair of heels would be fine; they're good to have anyway and will come in handy a lot. Flats as Dragonz suggested would work too.

Thanks, K~ :D

Where's the best place to buy it from? In other words, which gets you the most money?

Edit: Oops, saw that you just mentioned to buy it direct. Please ignore this message.

Thank you, Besada. <3 <3 <3 Cyan said he'd mentioned it to you guys, and now I'm super nervous...

Going to go ahead and buy your book next time I get paid H.Pro. :D

You're a star, Infinite. ^_^ Thanks so much!

Congratulations! It looks fantastic. I'm going to have to check this out.

:) Thanks, Kimaka. A lot of fun was had with the book and a lot of arts, haha.

IXedzXVl.jpg

I'm going to pick this up once I get home. :)

Also, I just learned about this study. It's pretty interesting.

http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2009/03/cyber_harassmen.html

Here's the actual source:
http://www.ece.umd.edu/news/news_story.php?id=2025

Here's the researcher:
http://www.ece.umd.edu/faculty/cukier

Thank you, BB! :D Hope you like it!

And very interesting article. They're always going on and on about needing stats or research before they'll believe us in those harassment threads, so this is perfect. Nice find!

;_; Daaaw, thanks, YesNOnoNOYes! Let me know what you think!

And, yeah, the weather sure was blustery. The fence behind us is about to go over. one more windy day and it's doomed. Love that kind of stuff, though.

IXedzXVl.jpg

I will let you know once I read through <3 I love the vibes so far though. Very easy to get into, as well.

And yes, windy, but then calmed down and today is looking pretty! The sun is out *____*

OMG that art is sooooooooooo adorable <3 I love the style so much!!! Your characters are awesome, hpro <3

Also, I just learned about this study. It's pretty interesting.

http://www.concurringopinions.com/archives/2009/03/cyber_harassmen.html

Here's the actual source:
http://www.ece.umd.edu/news/news_story.php?id=2025

Here's the researcher:
http://www.ece.umd.edu/faculty/cukier

oh wow almost missed this! thanks for the links bunbuns <3 i will read now!!

<3. I linked your book to my partner as well. I've always loved these mediums (picture books? Don't know what it's called).

That thread though. I'm surprised at how many people in there think it's not somewhat problematic or sexist (despite the fact only women's apparel labelled the wearer as the accessory). The problem isn't that a woman can't want to be a wife -____-.

@YesNo-- saw that comment about "Training Batman" and giggled. I would love to get my partner a "Training Supergirl" shirt with a collar on it. Of course, I'd have to get out my Supergirl shirt...

buuuuunbunnnsss <3

i knooooooooooow right. they went jugular-like with their "graaaaarrrrrr we can smell you evil feminists who looks down upon traditional roles graarrrrrrrrrr"

.... LOL

aaaaaaa you and your partner should totes dooooooo <3 so cute *_____*

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That thread though. I'm surprised at how many people in there think it's not somewhat problematic or sexist (despite the fact only women's apparel labelled the wearer as the accessory). The problem isn't that a woman can't want to be a wife -____-.

Yeah. Amazing how every woman is saying "yup that's sexist" and the guys go "no it's not, what's wrong with it, come on". Once again, not listening to us. smh

Cat

Yeah. Amazing how every woman is saying "yup that's sexist" and the guys go "no it's not, what's wrong with it, come on". Once again, not listening to us. smh

I definitely noticed a disparity between the responses in this topic to my post from last night and then that thread. As someone who works from home and takes care of a child, it was very frustrating to read that expressed annoyance, such as my own, interpreted as some kind of criticism to women who choose a very similar lifestyle.

And by "lifestyle," I mean the one people seemed to assume first of staying home and taking care of things, like being a housewife, though really a "wife" could be or do any number of things, but you wouldn't know what that would be since the only proclaimed association is to be an "accessory," as some put it, to Batman.

Yeah, those threads make me smh. It isn't hard to understand *shrugshrugshrug*

OH NO ITS A JOSHJOSH

I mean, hi :D how is your car~

I'm watching you, pretending to be nice won't fool me. My car was supposed to be done on Monday but it still isn't ready. I think they're driving it around like in Ferris Bueler -_-

I definitely noticed a disparity between the responses in this topic to my post from last night and then that thread. As someone who works from home and takes care of a child, it was very frustrating to read that expressed annoyance, such as my own, interpreted as some kind of criticism to women who choose a very similar lifestyle.

And by "lifestyle," I mean the one people seemed to assume first of staying home and taking care of things, like being a housewife, though really a "wife" could be or do any number of things, but you wouldn't know what that would be since the only proclaimed association is to be an "accessory," as some put it, to Batman.

Yeah. It's like bizarro world out there, out side of GG ;___;

The men are so defensive and super accusatory and belittling our voices. So eye-rolly

Verrrrrrrry frustrating.

Josh, oooh :x They be taking their sweet time :x

*sharpens backstabby knife quietly*

Dudes would learn a lot if they tried listening to ya'lls side of things instead of vehemently defending their position. That's the problem with online debating though, people pretty much just stay dug in and won't even try to see things differently.

I realize I did a terrible job of introducing myself lol WHOOPS. Uhh dunno what else to say!

^yesno

This isn't fair, you have home-field advantage here!

Top Bottom