• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This caught my eye earlier today:

M5CB0Hv.jpg

ePc7n0L.jpg

xqE1LFk.jpg

That artist is DA is wonderful. I've followed her for a while now :D

....aaaaa now I wanna be drawing again :3

Thanks for plugging that yoooo <3 inspiring! :>

um random stuff atm. delicate looking men in chinese outfit with long swords???? how do that work? BUT I HAVE SEEN THEM IN LIVE ACTION SERIES. i sweeeaaarrr.... does dragi has something for me to draw?

Koriandrr

When looking for people to play with, don't even tell them that she's a girl. If she does voice chat they're gonna find out, but by that point I think there's a significant chance that she won't get harassed.

To be honest, I don't even use a microphone. I never disclose that I'm a woman when gaming online, and if I do get bothered (League of Legends is a huge offender of this now that I think about it), I just mute them.

I don't know if that helped you or not, but I'd totally be willing to play with her! I haven't played in a few days though and I'm on PS4.

I'm sorry hun, but I'm really against that.

How are we meant to make a change and show people that we exist and get them used to the fact that we're there, if we're going out of our way and experience to hide?
I am proud to say that I am a woman and if someone harasses me I just ask for them to get kicked out of the party or leave it myself and move on.

It's kind of the same story with gay people and how they hide - at the end of the day it only damages you and doesn't help the bigger picture. We love games, we are female and we're proud.

How are we meant to make a change and show people that we exist and get them used to the fact that we're there, if we're going out of our way and experience to hide?
I am proud to say that I am a woman and if someone harasses me I just ask for them to get kicked out of the party or leave it myself and move on.

It's kind of the same story with gay people and how they hide - at the end of the day it only damages you and doesn't help the bigger picture. We love games, we are female and we're proud.

You is braver than I, Kori

I'm with dragonz. I play male toons on all of my MMOs, cuz I can't deal with dudebros when I just want to be clearing dungeons.

I salute youuuuu o7

Though after I get to know the sane ones, I reveal my gender later on and i love my guildies to bits, ngl :>

I always play girl toons. My PSN is also female oriented. But I don't use a mic and I don't go around waving a girl flag.

It's not because I'm afraid, because I'll tell someone online to get lost if I have to. I think I'm just indifferent to the whole situation. I don't want to get caught up in gender battles when I'm trying to game.

I always play girl toons. My PSN is also female oriented. But I don't use a mic and I don't go around waving a girl flag.

It's not because I'm afraid, because I'll tell someone online to get lost if I have to. I think I'm just indifferent to the whole situation. I don't want to get caught up in gender battles when I'm trying to game.

Waw dragons also braver than me :x

I'm the most useless grunt soldier in this gender politics in gaming scenes.

.___.

Ugh its half past midnight suddenly. Where did time go ;__;

Gnight GirlGAF o/

I can see where you are coming from. 'Hiding' away will not help progress things but my gender isn't something I want to scream about; not because of being ashamed but I don't care who I am playing with and against. It just isn't something that I feel needs to be brought up. I don't want to use a mic any way as I am quite introverted so I won't be 'found out' via this means.

I have never had anything truly bad said or done however - maybe because I play my cards close to me. When I played on the 360 my avatar clearly depicted I was female. In fact I gained some decent-enough friends who knew I was female.

Something pissed me off once, though. I was playing Hawken online and our team was getting a load of abuse from a moron on the other team. A member of my team stuck up for me (not gender related) and was told he was gay (in a not so polite way). I'd had one-too-many whiskys and during a chat window conversation I mentioned I was female (along with a few choice comments) to shut them up from calling him gay all the time.

They then couldn't believe a female could possibly have performed the way I had in the game. As though I am incapable of coordinating a bloody lump of pixels on screen.

iirate

I'm with dragonz. I play male toons on all of my MMOs, cuz I can't deal with dudebros when I just want to be clearing dungeons.

I salute youuuuu o7

Though after I get to know the sane ones, I reveal my gender later on and i love my guildies to bits, ngl :>

I almost always play girl toons, but if I like the male model on a particular race more and really want to play that race, then I'll play a guy. From my experience though, I can have a girly name, a female avatar, and be healing(like the #1 girl stereotype in WoW, alongside playing a hunter), and most people will still assume I'm a guy.

I very rarely talk to people I don't know over skype/vent/whateva, but last year I was playing in weekly Hearthstone tournaments where vent was required. I played a guy at one point and won, then he went back to the vent lobby. I followed shortly after he did, but I guess he didn't notice, because when I went back I heard him say "I just lost a match to an eight year-old." Someone after that said told him that I was a girl, and he yelled, "I LOST TO A GIRL?"

He seemed pretty embarrassed afterwards and apologized to me, but it goes to show that some guys can take a loss to a kid more graciously than to a grown woman.

Funnily enough, he was actually my favorite streamer up to that point, as he was playing priest when no one else was and I'm always a sucker for an underdog. Needless to say, I lost a ton of respect for him afterwards.

suzu

I don't hide that I'm a girl, but I don't really make any mention of it unless something related comes up.

I play mostly female characters given the choice, but if I like how the males look, I will play one.

I thought about posting this in the Destiny OT, but it might be inappropriate.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but every time I load up Destiny and play for a bit, my boobs itch. >.<

Koriandrr

I can see where you are coming from. 'Hiding' away will not help progress things but my gender isn't something I want to scream about; not because of being ashamed but I don't care who I am playing with and against. It just isn't something that I feel needs to be brought up. I don't want to use a mic any way as I am quite introverted so I won't be 'found out' via this means.

I have never had anything truly bad said or done however - maybe because I play my cards close to me. When I played on the 360 my avatar clearly depicted I was female. In fact I gained some decent-enough friends who knew I was female.

Something pissed me off once, though. I was playing Hawken online and our team was getting a load of abuse from a moron on the other team. A member of my team stuck up for me (not gender related) and was told he was gay (in a not so polite way). I'd had one-too-many whiskys and during a chat window conversation I mentioned I was female (along with a few choice comments) to shut them up from calling him gay all the time.

They then couldn't believe a female could possibly have performed the way I had in the game. As though I am incapable of coordinating a bloody lump of pixels on screen.

I see where you're coming from.
I'm a PC gamer myself, so I rarely had to deal with xbox live/psn voice chat games, but when I was given the choice in MMOs I play, I always went on voice chat. Not because I want to show off I'm a girl, but because I genuinely love talking to people and communicating with other human beings who love the same things I do. I would probably die if I don't talk to someone all day.

On a (kind of) side note, I'd like to share this beautiful video with you guys - I love it!
http://youtu.be/v7LBggDKEtM

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't hide that I'm a girl, but I don't really make any mention of it unless something related comes up.

I play mostly female characters given the choice, but if I like how the males look, I will play one.
I'm pretty much the same. Weirdly enough, despite the female avatar and username, I routinely get mistaken for a guy anyway. I used to correct such mistakes, but nowadays I rarely bother. I very rarely use voice chat, because I play few online games and most of those are limited to text chat (the Souls games). I have been mistaken for a kid in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, though. xD But other than this, I've not gotten any abuse or stupid crap from other players in MH3U so far. Maybe because it's a cooperative game, so there's fewer chances of saltiness and hatemail? I dunno.

Koriandrr, I understand where you're coming from; I also feel that we shouldn't hide who we are, and work to make a small but positive change and so on. That said, I also don't blame girls who decide not to "fight this battle", so to speak. They might just want to play games and have fun and relax, they might not want to deal with harassment and slurs and all that crap. Reading some of the horror stories out there, I feel incredibly lucky to have pretty much avoided all that. Makes me feel glad I tend to not enjoy online gaming all that much (with some exceptions).

chibi dragon thinger for dragi

NxpsqCA.jpg

and smaller version without the text :3
That is adorable! You're so talented.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well went out presenting as female in the city I live in. It's interesting how different things were just doing the same things I do every Wednesday and also very creepy so maybe some pants instead of a skirt next time.

Kimaka

I usually play female characters in MMOs. I rarely communicate with others online and play it like a single player game so I usually get mistaken for a dude. Funny enough, the times I have played male characters, I get asked more often if I'm a woman.

Koriandrr

I usually play female characters in MMOs. I rarely communicate with others online and play it like a single player game so I usually get mistaken for a dude. Funny enough, the times I have played male characters, I get asked more often if I'm a woman.

It must be the way you create your male character.

I know it will sound ridiculous, but I can usually (let's say 7 out of 10) tell if a female character is made by a dude and if a male character is made by a girl, because they're quite different than what the same gender as the character would create. Tells you a lot about male and female ideals for 'good looks'. I've done this little experiment with my boyfriend too - the female characters he creates are quite different than mine and when I tried to 'fix' his to my liking he kept asking me why I use these settings, he would've never chosen that kind of thing. (especially when it comes to body proportions lol)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I can't really get into MMOs so the characters I create are mostly private but I lean strongly to creating female ones.
As for voice chat I don't go out of my way to do it unless whoever I'm playing in whatever game is also doing it since I think talking to a silent partner is a bit awkward, but I don't go out of my way to let my gender be known.
On the other hand when I stream myself playing games on hitbox I'll talk freely with people in the chat since I enjoy their company and I have an audience of nice people.

you girls are pretty diverse and awesome in preferences :D nice to hear everyone's play style o/

i've never voice chat in my entire life haha im stupid and i dont like how i sound. my voice is grating to my own ears???? fail x__x;;;;

weemad and morri, thank ye! i want to draw more but i dont have time lately :< let me know if any of y'all ever needs a sketch or som'thin :>

WOOOOO its THURSDAY ....!!! or alternatively known as ALMOST-FRIDAY! \o/

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
We are from the future. But not as future as Asia, I suppose.
Well be responsible with your future knowledge so we don't have any pime taradoxes.

Also I was going to get some of the skincare products you talked about on your blog, but sudden unexpected bills ate my budget though. </3 It seems like you like to use Missha stuffs like I do (I use the bb cream for foundation) so it's nice hearing about their other products I haven't tried.

Kimaka

I know it will sound ridiculous, but I can usually (let's say 7 out of 10) tell if a female character is made by a dude and if a male character is made by a girl, because they're quite different than what the same gender as the character would create. Tells you a lot about male and female ideals for 'good looks'. I've done this little experiment with my boyfriend too - the female characters he creates are quite different than mine and when I tried to 'fix' his to my liking he kept asking me why I use these settings, he would've never chosen that kind of thing. (especially when it comes to body proportions lol)

There may be some truth to that especially the bolded. In WoW, most of my male characters were Blood Elves, known as the 'prettiest' of the bunch. They are still fairly muscular just not as giant as the other male races. The character proportions in WoW are pretty lolworthy.

you girls are pretty diverse and awesome in preferences :D nice to hear everyone's play style o/

i've never voice chat in my entire life haha im stupid and i dont like how i sound. my voice is grating to my own ears???? fail x__x;;;;

weemad and morri, thank ye! i want to draw more but i dont have time lately :< let me know if any of y'all ever needs a sketch or som'thin :>

WOOOOO its THURSDAY ....!!! or alternatively known as ALMOST-FRIDAY! \o/

I'm still stuck on Wednesday but I'm off the next two days so its like a weekend. \^o^/

There may be some truth to that especially the bolded. In WoW, most of my male characters were Blood Elves, known as the 'prettiest' of the bunch. They are still fairly muscular just not as giant as the other male races. The character proportions in WoW are pretty lolworthy.

I'm still stuck on Wednesday but I'm off the next two days so its like a weekend. \^o^/

WOW SO JELLY RN ;___;

and ya, on toons. i'd probably try more girl toons on TERA had they not been so gross.

:x

Anastasia

I've noticed this a lot too; though what makes me notice are usually the colors chosen and how they're matched.

Koriandrr

Well be responsible with your future knowledge so we don't have any pime taradoxes.

Also I was going to get some of the skincare products you talked about on your blog, but sudden unexpected bills ate my budget though. </3 It seems like you like to use Missha stuffs like I do (I use the bb cream for foundation) so it's nice hearing about their other products I haven't tried.

AAaawwww that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ._.

You know, I had this tester for Missha M Signature Real Complete BB cream in white and that was the best BB cream I've put on my face ever. It had perfect coverage, made my face all white and glowy (just like on the photos) and it didn't move for a whole day of GamesCom. I was seriously impressed and I was thinking of buying it with my next order, but then I read about this whole new hype with cushion foundations and I bought this instead to try it out, because I love the idea of cushion foundations :D

I'll be making a review for the one I got when it arrives!

Mumei

Because of the discussion in the "A Personal History of Misogyny" thread, I was reminded of that study where over 75% of men said they would have sex, and none of the women said yes. I'd always wanted to know more about that study, and a few months ago I found out more!

And then I forgot where I had read what I read.

But then I found it again! It's very interesting.

On Women and Casual Sex - Part 1: The Pleasure Theory

Excerpts:

The Intro~

One of the oldest and hoariest tropes in our culture is idea of sexual drives differing in men and women; men are &#8211; so the idea goes &#8211; hot blooded, almost bestial and totally at the mercy of their libidos. Dudes are so horny that they just can&#8217;t control themselves; arousal means that they must satiate it at almost any cost. They&#8217;ll stick it in just about anything that offers the right combination of friction, suction and heat &#8211; and they&#8217;re pretty flexible about their standards for all three. Deprive a man from sexual release for long enough and just about anything becomes fuckable &#8211; how else can you explain sailors mistaking manatees for mermaids?

Women on the other hand are less erotic and primal; they are slow to arouse, quicker to turn off if everything isn&#8217;t just so, and simply aren&#8217;t as interested in sex. Women may like sex but men need sex. One of the oldest jokes in the world1 is that women could rule the world if they got together en masse and decided to hold the Great Fuck-Out until they were given control.

Never is this more apparent when it comes to the idea of casual sex. Ask the average man on the street about who&#8217;s more into sex &#8211; or who&#8217;s more likely to go home with a relative stranger &#8211; and you&#8217;ll be told over and over again: men like sex more.

The infamous study

One of the most common arguments held up that &#8220;proves&#8221; that women don&#8217;t like casual sex as much as men is an infamous study conducted 1989; the study had a male and female participant go up to random members of the opposite sex and ask &#8220;Would you like to go out tonight?&#8221;, &#8220;Would you like to go back to my apartment?&#8221;, and &#8220;Would you like to go to bed with me?&#8221; Men and women were equally likely &#8211; 50% &#8211; to go on a date, but when it came to sex, the results weren&#8217;t terribly surprising;upwards of 75% of men said yes to sex while absolutely 0 women agreed that yes, they would like to go to bed with a total stranger who propositioned them in the middle of the day on a college campus.

A few caveats

To whit: the study ignored a number of issues that might affect a woman&#8217;s willingness to have sex with a complete stranger with absolutely no previous interaction beyond &#8220;hello&#8221; and &#8220;hey, let&#8217;s fuck!&#8221; It focused entirely on heterosexual response, not controlling for the possibility that the respondents might be homosexual or bisexual. They did not control for whether or not the subject was single, married, asexual or practicing abstinence. And &#8211; by it&#8217;s own admission &#8211; did not even begin to scratch the surface of any number of sociological issues that might affect somebody&#8217;s response to an offer of anonymous sex by a stranger.

Another study!

A follow-up study in 2009, utilizing similar methodology by Clark and Hatfield found similar results; once they controlled for people who were in relationships, 60% of men and 0 women were receptive to an offer of casual sex from an attractive stranger.

So. Case closed, right?

Not so much.

Plot Twist~

In 2011, a paper published by Terri Conley examined the results of four concurrent sub-studies (the study doesn&#8217;t seem to be available online at the moment; you can read a very comprehensive summary here) regarding potential influences on a person&#8217;s receptivity to casual sex. She made several tweaks to the Clark-Hatfield study&#8217;s methodology; in her first study, she asked informed subjects to fill answer a questionnaire regarding being approached by an attractive stranger and rating their likelihood of responding on a 7 point scale. She also asked them to fill out other seven point scales about issues that would affect their potential acceptance or refusal including social status, potential STD infection, sexual satisfaction, likelihood of getting gifts, etc. Another variation of this randomized the gender of the theoretical propositioning person; men had as much of a chance of being asked whether they would consider going to bed with an attractive man as they would a woman.

A third variation asked for their perception of a man propositioning a woman, while a fourth asked bisexual women specifically about the likelihood of their being receptive to a woman approaching them as opposed to a man.

Another study asked about their receptiveness to specific individuals: in this case, Johnny Depp, Donald Trump, Brad Pitt, Carrot Top, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lopez and Roseanne Barr. Another specifically asked about the likelihood of being receptive to a proposition from their best friend of the opposite sex while yet a third was directed specifically at homosexual men and women.

The results were interesting to say the least.

It became clear early on that the Clark-Hatfield study&#8217;s methodology was flawed; it wasn&#8217;t a matter of whether women were less interested or receptive to sexual offers than men were, it was that they were less interested when those offers came from men. In fact, hetero-identified women were more likely to be willing to go to bed with another woman. Even gay men &#8211; propositioned by an attractive gay man &#8211; were less likely to accept.

The Criteria

It came down to two issues: personal safety and potential sexual prowess in the proposer.

Contrary to the idea in evolutionary psychology that women will instinctively respond to outward signifiers of social superiority like money or status, women are far more motivated by the likelihood of sexual pleasure than any other factor.

According to the results of the study, women consistently thought that men were potentially more dangerous and far less likely to be good in bed. Men and women (gay, bi and straight) on the other hand, consistently thought that women were likely to be at least a decent lay (at the median for the study), warmer and less dangerous.

In short: the it came down to a question of potential risk vs. potential sexual pleasure. Social status and finances &#8211; signs of a potential good provider, according to evolutionary psychology &#8211; didn&#8217;t move the needle.

So Why Aren&#8217;t Women Having More Casual Sex? (thank you, Dr Nerdlove for making me unable to think of anything else to put here)

Actually&#8230; this is a somewhat misleading question. Women are far more open to casual sex and short-lived flings than we suspect; in fact, a fourth study by Conley found that approximately 40% of women who had been propositioned in real life (as opposed to the scenario played out in the Clark-Hatfield study) had accepted the proposal. Women weren&#8217;t refusing casual sex in the Clark-Hatfield study because they didn&#8217;t like sex or were instinctively searching for higher status men; they were refusing the offers because the scenario and the proposer were an ideal set-up for making the prospect of casual sex less attractive, even among people predisposed to casual sex with men.

Women are interested in seeking out sexual pleasure, just as men are
. However, they&#8217;re trapped between opposing forces; while on the one hand they want to get laid, on the other, society and gender roles tend to shame women who take ownership of their sexuality. Our society still puts emphasis on the commodity model of sex: that men are the aggressors &#8211; the purchasers &#8211; and women are the pursued &#8211; the vendors, and that sex has a &#8220;price&#8221;. If a woman gives away her goods too &#8220;cheaply&#8221;, it devalues her as a person. Because so many men measure themselves by their sexual conquests, the &#8220;easier&#8221; a woman is, the less glory there is to be had by sleeping with her; as a result, she is only as valuable as the sex she doesn&#8217;t have. When you add in other factors &#8211; the risk of pregnancy is borne entirely by the woman, it&#8217;s much easier for women to contract an STD from a man than vice versa, the risk of violence from men is far higher than the reverse &#8211; more often than not, the possible sexual pleasure isn&#8217;t worth the potential fallout.

In other words: in a culture of slut-shaming, blaming rape victims for their own assault, increasing restrictions on contraception and abortion, a man has to be pretty impressive to make it worth a woman&#8217;s time for a fling.

Now if all this sounds daunting&#8230; well, it is. It will require a long-term societal solution &#8211; working to build a world of true equity, where women feel safer and more secure and aren&#8217;t demonized for their sexuality.

In the short term however&#8230; you need to learn how to be that impressive sort of person who is worth the risk.

I know, I know. "Tell me something I don't already know."

And here's part two; flings, one night stands, and same night lays.

Edit: ... I don't like some of part 2, since a few of the items sound rather PUA-ish, but I'm interested in hearing what you think sounds like good versus bad advice.

Haven't read part 2 yet, Mumei, will do so in a bit but that part 1 was super interesting in that women are very orientated on sexual pleasure and risk. And that we're quite likelier to receive offer of casual intimacy from other women.

It rings true to me but I thought for a long time it's because I'm bisexual.

There's a lot of gender skewed myths and preconceptions out there that's just bolstered by the studies not being set up quite right, in their suppositions and questioning lines. Very interesting.

Will read part 2 now! Thanks for sharing these!

&#10084;

Top Bottom