• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Masoria

Neo Member
Meh, it all blends together. A strong man gives strong, healthy children, and can help protect the family.

I'm not saying it's true for every person, it's just what I remember reading.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
i havent posted in here in a while

hay gurls~

hey satch!

my two cents:

i think women are biologically inclined to seek out "strong" men (that's not to say all of them do this though). the thing that varies is the definition of strong. do abs and a six-pack make a man strong? does confidence? what about wealth or power? and of course, intelligence? etc, etc. this tends to vary across women and definitely also across cultures.

i personally think of a strong man as one who is confident and intelligent and not necessarily physically strong.

People like others because of MATING.
it is all about SEX, not protection or anything like that
Guys are biologicaly focused on getting girls wth huge hips and breasts because they will create babies more and girls are biological atracted to health dudeds (usualy means a more symmetrical face) and fertile.

You can be a Nomura and Amano design rejected and still be perfectly heath and fertile =P

After seeing that study where women on the pill are attracted to less masculine men, I'm kind of inclined to agree.

Completely anecdotal, but in my experience gay men tend to be attracted to more muscular men than a lot of women.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
hey satch!

my two cents:

i think women are biologically inclined to seek out "strong" men (that's not to say all of them do this though). the thing that varies is the definition of strong. do abs and a six-pack make a man strong? does confidence? what about wealth or power? and of course, intelligence? etc, etc. this tends to vary across women and definitely also across cultures.

i personally think of a strong man as one who is confident and intelligent and not necessarily physically strong.

Well, by that definition men seek out strong women too then, because that's everything most men want in the women they want to go out with. Also, a lot of guys go gaga over women that work out and have awesome abs!

Sheik

If you guys are talking about the primal biological imperative to reproduce in relation to attraction and coupling, then what attributes do same-sex couples seek in each other and why?

If you guys are talking about the primal biological imperative to reproduce in relation to attraction and coupling, then what attributes do same-sex couples seek in each other and why?

No one cares.

I kid of course but that's the problem in a nutshell. We focus so much on only the propagation of the species we forget that we've had sex just for bonding and social strengthening since the beginning as well. Companionship is much more complicated among our species than we give ourselves credit for.

Prax

My two cents:

We just like what we like.
And that is shaped by culture and fads.
Whatever we think will lead to a better more valuable mate will be what we want.

Perhaps we are trending towards preference for slim women and buff men.
But that's just the nature of things. People trend toward extremes because they like "pinnacles" of stuff. Biggest this, smallest that. Not that the majority of people would prefer the very extreme poles, but they will gravitate to whatever they believe has "more value", but these values are mostly arbitrary (though these days, I think people will try to justify their values with science or health facts--how many guys do I hear/read saying stuff like "I hate fat chicks because they clearly don't take care of their health and I only want to care about someone who cares about themselves!". Always sounds a little.. disingenuous?). At some point, it'll just swing in the other direction or find some new focus.

I think the idea of males and females becoming more equal socially/economically, leading to a trend of defining these genders in terms of physicality makes sense. People are still going to try to categorize, so if they can't do it with one area, they'll do it in another.

Gaborn

Dev's answer is good but let me also add that it's entirely possible for a gay person to look for a good mate in terms of child rearing. It doesn't actually matter that a particular couple cannot reproduce together anymore than it matters in a heterosexual couple. Such considerations may still very well inform the qualities we seek at a biological level when evaluating the fitness of a partner even if they're not always actuated on a physical level. Remember too that things like temperment, personality, and an interest in raising kids are ALSO desirable attributes in biological terms.

I think when people think of same sex couples and reproduction it's usually in terms of the physical act being impossible, that is, a gay couple are currently unable to have biological children directly related to both people as parents. I think this is a misunderstanding of the current landscape with regards to many gay couples. Many gay couples have children, many gay couples WANT to have children. They just go through other routes that are also available to straight couples. From adoption to a simple sperm bank to surrogacy there are many options available to gay couples to have their progeny continue on either in biological form or through an adopted bundle of joy.

leadbelly

Banned
Also, a lot of guys go gaga over women that work out and have awesome abs!

I would say a lot of men don't like muscular women. There is a big difference between a woman keeping herself fit and healthy and a woman developing muscle mass. It just makes a woman look very masculine - and that is a big turn off.

leadbelly

Banned
A woman with abs is fucking awesome. I managed to have semi defined abs for a while, I miss that.

Then again I also love abs on guys so....

A toned body isn't so bad. It is when a woman starts to develop a quite distinctive muscular frame that it becomes a turn off.

This is okay.
wIbYT.jpg

This is a little too much.

Speaking for myself, I love a woman's natural curves. The female form is so beautiful. I think part of the reason it is so attractive to me may be because of the contrast between masculine and feminine. There is a distinct difference in form. A muscular woman appears less feminine and more masculine.

Zoe

For me the turn-off about visible abs on a woman is that it most likely means her BF% is at an unhealthily low point.

Not so much abs in themselves, but a woman having a muscular frame. There is a point where they look less feminine and more masculine.

I dislike this whole toned-for-aesthetics look.

If it's a byproduct of a sport or something, it's alright. It shows the person is active and loves to do physical stuff. But as an aesthetic it's pointless for me.

Doing massive workouts without being interested in doing anything with it is a waste. At least if the person is into a diverse range of physical hobbies (mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, etc) they are using their body for something.

leadbelly

Banned
I dislike this whole toned-for-aesthetics look.

Well, whether people do it simply for the aesthetics or not, the benefit is you're keeping yourself in shape.

What I don't like is a woman who looks distinctively muscular. There is nothing wrong with a toned midriff though. It is all about moderation.

Sheik

No one cares.

I kid of course but that's the problem in a nutshell. We focus so much on only the propagation of the species we forget that we've had sex just for bonding and social strengthening since the beginning as well. Companionship is much more complicated among our species than we give ourselves credit for.

Dev's answer is good but let me also add that it's entirely possible for a gay person to look for a good mate in terms of child rearing. It doesn't actually matter that a particular couple cannot reproduce together anymore than it matters in a heterosexual couple. Such considerations may still very well inform the qualities we seek at a biological level when evaluating the fitness of a partner even if they're not always actuated on a physical level. Remember too that things like temperment, personality, and an interest in raising kids are ALSO desirable attributes in biological terms.

Ah, you both come from interesting perspectives! I've always thought the whole concept of looking for a good mate to produce offspring was really archaic and no longer valid in modern society so I was really surprised to see people talking about the size of a woman's hips and the virility of men. I guess I was mistaken! Granted, I've never wanted children so maybe that's why. And of course there are same-sex couples who do want children and look for attributes in their partners that would suggest they'd be good parents, but I was thinking more along the lines of physical/biological traits. I tend to agree with the latter of your guys' argument, that attraction is based on subjective qualities such as aesthetics, personality, social status, professional success, etc. and varies from individual to individual. That companionship, as Devolution put it, trumps breeding.

On a side note, I just found out that Pink had a baby. She's so cute!

Ah, you both come from interesting perspectives! I've always thought the whole concept of looking for a good mate to produce offspring was really archaic and no longer valid in modern society so I was really surprised to see people talking about the size of a woman's hips and the virility of men. I guess I was mistaken! Granted, I've never wanted children so maybe that's why. And of course there are same-sex couples who do want children and look for attributes in their partners that would suggest they'd be good parents, but I was thinking more along the lines of physical/biological traits. I tend to agree with the latter of your guys' argument, that attraction is based on subjective qualities such as aesthetics, personality, social status, professional success, etc. and varies from individual to individual. That companionship, as Devolution put it, trumps breeding.

On a side note, I just found out that Pink had a baby. She's so cute!

Companionship among people who don't want kids or gays could have positively impacted cultures as well. A virile couple has a lot of kids? Those without kids pick up the slack.

Kazerei

Banned
A toned body isn't so bad. It is when a woman starts to develop a quite distinctive muscular frame that it becomes a turn off.

This is okay.
http://i.imgur.com/wIbYT.jpg

This is a little too much.
http://i.imgur.com/QTqZR.jpg

Speaking for myself, I love a woman's natural curves. The female form is so beautiful. I think part of the reason it is so attractive to me may be because of the contrast between masculine and feminine. There is a distinct difference in form. A muscular woman appears less feminine and more masculine.

Similarly, I like guys who are lean and a bit muscular. Too muscular is a turn off.

This is okay.
NByjF.jpg

This is too much.
kBjdw.jpg

Sheik

Companionship among people who don't want kids or gays could have positively impacted cultures as well. A virile couple has a lot of kids? Those without kids pick up the slack.

For sure. I firmly believe that the world is overpopulated. Adults that don't have to deal with child rearing have much more time to be productive. There is also an inverse correlation between level of income/education and number of children per household.

Opiate

I would just like to point out that the current discussion (with pictures) is totally acceptable. If anyone wants to know how to have pictures of attractive people in a thread, this is how you do it: in moderation, and with reason.

I'll add one last note on the topic; as Devolution (and others) have noted, some "hot chick" threads manage to survive for quite some time. This isn't because we don't care; it's because there are an enormous amount of them, and they often slowly "evolve" in to hot-chick threads over time, so we don't always close them down immediately upon inception.

If we allowed "hot chick" threads to come back, we would likely be right back to where we were two years ago: there were 1-2 threads on the front page of off topic exclusively devoted to "hot chicks with amazing butts" and "hot chicks with great boobs" at essentially all times, with 2-3 sub-threads that float around page 3 or 4 for the more specialized tastes for "only black chicks" or "amazing feet" or something like that. This is not just because boys are often obsessed with sex, but also because they overwhelmingly outnumber women on this forum.

We would rather not have the off topic look like that, so we do our best to nip those threads in the bud. If we allow the women on the forum to gossip about cute boys, we'd have to allow the same for the men on the forum, and that has proven to be a problem.

Again, if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Also Justin Timberlake is attractive.

It's amazing some threads manage to sneak by moderation after they hit 5+ pages. Damn those ninjas and their subtle titles such as "GAF's Top 100, because Maxim was wrong!"

So Shanshan, tell us about the Australian swimming team plz.

Opiate

It's amazing some threads manage to sneak by moderation after they hit 5+ pages. Damn those ninjas and their subtle titles such as "GAF's Top 100, because Maxim was wrong!"

I already explained this three times. If you won't read or are incapable of doing so, I can't help you. I'll ask again since you also apparently didn't read this either: if you have any further questions or comments, please PM me or another moderator. Thanks.

The male team or the female team? :p

But actually that reminds me of something I wanted to bring up. This particular swimmer copped a whole lot of shit from the media/public for being 'too fat to compete'. To me she looks bulky, but clearly pretty muscular. I thought it was weird how much people were obsessing over it, I've never seen this happen with male athletes, but its become rather common place for females.
ds_24jones353_20120725002250254070-300x0.jpg

Also Justin Timberlake is attractive.

This made me laugh.

Opiate

A related topic: what sport do you feel produces (or facilitates) the most attractive body type? Gymnasts, for example, tend to be well muscled and flexible, but quite short. Swimmers tend to be tall with lean muscles and broad shoulders. Cyclists tend to have very muscular lower bodies. American football players tend to be very large and muscular, and so forth.

Any opinions?

Yeah, this was posted to the Phelps thread, and it does nothing for me. (for Phelps in particular, his neck is too weird)
Exactly, they look so disproportionate, for the lack of a better word. I haven't payed enough attention to the Olympics or sports in general to decide which physique I find most attractive.

Kazerei

Banned
Also Justin Timberlake is attractive.

High five.

Any sport that works the "core" and doesn't result in huge muscles is probably best for building an attractive body type. Swimming is an obvious one, especially 'cause you always see their full bodies. But plenty of other sports fit the bill, like rowing and cross-country skiing.

High five.

Any sport that works the "core" and doesn't result in huge muscles is probably best for building an attractive body type. Swimming is an obvious one, especially 'cause you always see their full bodies. But plenty of other sports fit the bill, like rowing and cross-country skiing.
Your tag. o_O

Exactly, they look so disproportionate, for the lack of a better word. I haven't payed enough attention to the Olympics or sports in general to decide which physique I find most attractive.

The best swimmers are generally disproportionate with their torsos being longer and all.

The male team or the female team? :p

But actually that reminds me of something I wanted to bring up. This particular swimmer copped a whole lot of shit from the media/public for being 'too fat to compete'. To me she looks bulky, but clearly pretty muscular. I thought it was weird how much people were obsessing over it, I've never seen this happen with male athletes, but its become rather common place for females.
ds_24jones353_20120725002250254070-300x0.jpg
I haven't seen the female team, but from what I've seen of the male team I wouldn't mind knowing more about them.

And I think a lot of that comes from people just being ignorant regarding bulky women.

Also, footballers:
fotos-cristiano-ronaldo-cr7-7.jpg

Relevant! CR7 for life yo.

leadbelly

Banned
Yeah, the second woman doesn't look masculine at all.

She didn't actually see that picture when she made that comment btw...

She has long hair, and appears to have breasts (if they're still real). However, her shoulders a quite broad and she has fairly well developed Latissimus muscles. Latissimus muscles give you that distinctive V-shaped back. Of course the more developed on a woman they become, the more likely she is to lose her feminine shape.

Eventually she turns into this:
1FG07.png

The "whole lot of shit" you're referring to came mostly from people who haven't been multiple Olympic medallists, like she. Which is to say, they were looking to make something a controversy that really wasn't.

For what it's worth, most Olympic trainers think little of BMI and place more weight (no pun intended) on body fat percentage. BF% usually runs about 10 percentage points lower among Olympic athletes than the general population.

If she qualified for the Olympics - and the Aussies have a fairly strong swimming legacy - then for pete's sake leave her alone. She's clearly fit enough to swim there. As long as that remains the case, her critics can shove it.

God forbid women athletes have hips. It's unthinkable, apparently.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
For the record, you can post "hot guy/girl" pics in this thread as long as:

1) You follow the rules of the ToS, worksafe etc., no exceptions

2) It's part of a discussion and not just a pic dump

3) Temporary, reasonable, and not a long-term derail or repurpose of the thread

Masoria

Neo Member
Yeah, if they qualify for the Olympics, who cares how "fat" they are? They're obviously doing something right.

I haven't watched any of the Olympics, though. I can't say I've ever really been interested in watching them.

Gravijah

important question time: what's more perverted?

asking a girl for more periods. you know, punctuation

or

said girl thinking of two men sharing a warm embrace.

Top Bottom