• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Masoria

Neo Member
I tried reading the Stinky Cheese Man to my kids, but they're still a bit young for it.

The thing is, if the kids have good role models and discussions about the movies, there really shouldn't be too much harm. It's fantasy, and fairly similar to the videogame/violence thing. Normal, healthy kids won't have negative reactions. They know the difference between fantasy and reality and can work it out.

I do like the Barbie movies for the most part, though, and talk with my girls about why. They have strong female leads who don't always end up with a guy at the end.

I was thinking a couple days ago how poor the Disney princesses are as role models. The motivations for most is ‘gotta get me a man’, which is a pretty crappy message to send.

This is a nice (old) article about the Disney Princesses. It doesn’t really come to any conclusions and it doesn’t really provide any answers, but I found it interesting nevertheless.

Cue the incessant whining I hear from certain people about how "women act like princesses." Well what message are they sent as girls?

I was thinking a couple days ago how poor the Disney princesses are as role models. The motivations for most is ‘gotta get me a man’, which is a pretty crappy message to send.

This is a nice (old) article about the Disney Princesses. It doesn’t really come to any conclusions and it doesn’t really provide any answers, but I found it interesting nevertheless.
I read that article the other day, very interesting particularly the origins of the Princess brand.
Cue the incessant whining I hear from certain people about how "women act like princesses." Well what message are they sent as girls?
I hate that so much. :|

If I have children, I will probably push them more towards Ghibli and Pixar rather than Disney.

FyreWulff

I think if I have a daughter, I'll be sure to have them read the books by Mari Sandoz. Strong female in a book and it's non-fiction. Her dad was a total asshole.

In one of the years as she grew up, her dad just dropped her and brother off on one of their other farm plots and basically said "see you in a few months". At like, 12.

Pixar does them one better by barely featuring any female characters at all, sure, outside of Brave, which seemed like a concerted effort to combat the complaint that they barely feature female characters in their films. (TBF, I haven't actually seen it.) Though, I guess that's better than stuffing them with airhead eye candy types.
You are forgetting The Incredibles. :<
I've never heard of fairy tales that were particularly pleasant. Like other types of myths and legends they're usually pretty gruesome in telling. Do you mean that pre-Renaissance European legends had better treatment of female characters? Because I highly, highly doubt that.
I'm trying to find this blog article I read.

Masoria

Neo Member
The women in the Incredibles were strong/brave, but they weren't the main characters and they still depended on the men, though. I mean, Violet was able to use her powers to be confident enough to talk to the boy she likes

The women in the Incredibles were strong/brave, but they weren't the main characters and they still depended on the men, though. I mean, Violet was able to use her powers to be confident enough to talk to the boy she likes
When you phrase it like that it of course it doesn't sound good. >_> Okay it's not perfect, but I thought Elastigirl/Mrs. Incredible was great.

Emitan

If I remember right she gains self confidence because of her adventure and then the guy nervously approaches her.

Pixar isn't incredibly feminist or progressive in general, but I consider them to generally be a huge improvement over Disney and their competitors. Brave, while being another step in the right direction, showed they (and the rest of the industry) still have a ways to go.

Platy

EVA > Incredibles girls

Mulan is not a princess no matter how hard Disney tries to shove her into that marketing line. There's a really funny/sad & telling excerpt from that NYT article on this:

So basically in order to make her a marketable character, they ignore that the whole point of the movie is that she's rebelling against constrictive gender roles in her society. e_e

That is kinda awesome in the wrong way, since it makes people love the character throgh the marketing and THEN see the movie and like an awesome character

Platy

Evangelion?

Damn you translated names ><

Tmf3w.jpg

Damn you translated names ><

Tmf3w.jpg
I just watched Wall-E the other day. Can't say I'm too fond of the way gender was handled in that. Then again, I can't say I'm fond of how anything in that film was handled, beside the music and visuals. Andrew Stanton is less progressive/competent than Brad Bird, to say the least.

It's ridiculous how much alcohol I can down while it's that time of the month. I don't get hangovers neither. Just the normal shitty period feel. It's like my body is all "no time for hangover too busy cramping up!"

So another comment for Shan's hot dudes.

I like Pixar movies and a lot of Disney, suck it.

And Devo seems that's the period (lol geddit) that you have the most fun.

So another comment for Shan's hot dudes.

I like Pixar movies and a lot of Disney, suck it.

heheheh, I still haven't seen any spanish guys >.>

I am also a disney fan, though I never saw some of the princess movies (Cinderella/ sleeping beauty). I guess I found the romantic aspects of the films kinda boring, even though I was a huge fan of snow white for example.

heheheh, I still haven't seen any spanish guys >.>

I am also a disney fan, though I never saw some of the princess movies (Cinderella/ sleeping beauty). I guess I found the romantic aspects of the films kinda boring, even though I was a huge fan of snow white for example.

The Disney movies I didn't watch when younger I watched them recently because my friends do like them. Sleeping Beauty was cool. Dragons and shit.

And finding pics of the football team dressing up like a swimming team is proving to be harder than I wanted.

CleverGirl

Neo Member
I don't think Disney can be blamed for making fragile princess movies in the early days. They were adapting fairy tales, which put women in fragile, subservient roles. When Disney started there hadn't been a culture shift pushing for strong heroines. What they can be blamed for is waiting so long to reformat their movies to include strong heroines. They are stubbornly sticking to an ultra girly formula, at least when it comes to merchandising.

I still maintain that the Sex and the City movies are more damaging than every Disney movie. We know that Disney movies are princessy but Sex and the City is supposed to be empowering.

Were any of you read Dr. Seuss books when you were little? My wife and I are having a girl at the end of September and I fully intend on reading all of them to her as much as I can, but there aren't many (any?) of them with girls as major characters that I remember. The messages of the books are great so I'm hoping this won't dissuade her from enjoying them as she gets older.

On the topic of Disney movies, my wife has been saying she wants to start building a collection of all the classics, princesses and all. :/

Samara

Were any of you read Dr. Seuss books when you were little? My wife and I are having a girl at the end of September and I fully intend on reading all of them to her as much as I can, but there aren't many (any?) of them with girls as major characters that I remember. The messages of the books are great so I'm hoping this won't dissuade her from enjoying them as she gets older.

On the topic of Disney movies, my wife has been saying she wants to start building a collection of all the classics, princesses and all. :/

Congrats!

Didn't read much Seuss until I was in midschool tho, but the Clifford the Big Red Dog books have a diverse cast and teach great lessons too.

I don't think this really matters. I enjoyed Dr. Seuss books a lot, as well as the 'little golden' series and Richard Scary. You don't need to have female leads for girls to enjoy them.

I'd consider doing a collection but only for the movies I liked :p

Thanks! I didn't think it would matter but wanted to ask anyway. Anita Sarkeesian's Fem Freq videos about girls and Legos got me thinking she might see them as "boy stories" and not like them. I'm probably over thinking it though since she probably won't be old enough to be thinking like that when I read them to her.

Seriously lol. I just logged on and first page alone was "do ladies feel objectified?", locked, something about how women dress, and Louisiana pregnant psycho schools. EXCELLENT

Well the other day there was a bunch of terrible black people related ones, our turn.

Hey GirlGaf, what do you think about something?
And with GirlGaf, I actually want a guy to make some bitter response about this. Like I care what a girl has to say, pffff

Top Bottom