• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

lil

Ugh that sucks SO bad, Fiction and YesNOnoNOYes. I hate super cute clothing stores that are scammy, and it seems like they're everywhere. :(

Grimalkin

Scam sites are the worst. Did you use a credit card (as opposed to a debit)? If you did you can charge back the sale.

I honestly don't know how you ladies shop online. I can't even shop in a store. I have no idea what looks good on me. I just pick things at random, try them on, be disappointed they don't look that great and then maybe purchase one thing.

I tried doing Colette's Wardrobe Architect series to help me out but the questions are too advanced for me. I don't know what makes me feel good! I don't know what I look good in! Same with the "What season are you?" stuff to find out what kind of makeup you should wear.

I would honestly pay someone a decent amount of money to tell me, straight up, "You should wear this, not that. These are your colors."

lil

I don't think I've ever bought clothes online?? But I've always wanted one of those super cool-but-expensive t-shirts from Redbubble. One of these days... *shakes fist*

Kimaka

I've bought a few shirts online before, but nothing more than that. I'm not sure if it will fit me and I don't want to go through the hassle of returning clothes. Also, I'm hesitant because of scams like that. That sucks :/

Scam sites are the worst. Did you use a credit card (as opposed to a debit)? If you did you can charge back the sale.

I honestly don't know how you ladies shop online. I can't even shop in a store. I have no idea what looks good on me. I just pick things at random, try them on, be disappointed they don't look that great and then maybe purchase one thing.

I tried doing Colette's Wardrobe Architect series to help me out but the questions are too advanced for me. I don't know what makes me feel good! I don't know what I look good in! Same with the "What season are you?" stuff to find out what kind of makeup you should wear.

I would honestly pay someone a decent amount of money to tell me, straight up, "You should wear this, not that. These are your colors."

Last time I went shopping with my mom, I came close to telling her to just pick something out for me. I have no idea what would look good on me if I go out of my comfort zone. I always think, "Wow, that would look great... on another person," and put it back because it doesn't feel right on me.

lil

oh oh oh! I bought a bra online once!! because I'm a 28 band and they don't sell those anywhere. It was cool but I've stopped wearing bras so w/e

Samara

I used a debit/credit card, and if I don't hear back from them in a day, I am going to try and do a chargeback, I think my bank does that.

Lucky. I try to buy form Asia but with PayPal only. Always got my refund when it takes too long. Don't wait more than 30 days. Do not buy from those Facebook ads, its a scam. Ive seen red dress boutique. Com and it looks legit.

I cant find it, but this girl ordered this wool coat for 80 dollars and received this fuzzy fleece coat. They have no shame

oh oh oh! I bought a bra online once!! because I'm a 28 band and they don't sell those anywhere. It was cool but I've stopped wearing bras so w/e

stopped wearing bras?!?

In my weeaboo phase, I convinced my parents who were already distrusting of buying stuff online to buy some animu crap I wanted off some fly by night website I saw when surfing the web. Their credit card was stolen and they never ordered anything for me online ever again. :[ To this day I'm afraid to buy anything from anywhere that's not Amazon (shipped/sold by). Especially not clothing/accessories I know have a good chance of being counterfeit.

Has anyone here ever bought something online thinking it was legit and ended up getting some cheap knock off? I once bought a knock off coach purse in NYC but that was on purpose. :p

Anastasia

Haven't posted in here since last year (also had my GAF name changed), but hello to all the new people!
I used to be Kathryn on GAF.

I don't think I've ever bought clothes online?? But I've always wanted one of those super cool-but-expensive t-shirts from Redbubble. One of these days... *shakes fist*

I do 99% of my clothes shopping online. But I'm very specific about where I shop at, and make sure that I have product measurements to compare to my body measurements for whatever I buy. The exception being if I know my size in a certain designer, or I can be reasonably confident in the size chart and store. Shoes are the only thing that have given me real problems, and that can be annoying to shop for. But for most everything else it's cool.

If I was going to offer advice to anyone for shopping online I would say to be really discerning about finding measurements, and/or seeing what other people have to say about the fit of said items. If you find something you like online, see if it's also available on a place like eBay and if that seller offers measurements for that item so you can get a better idea of the fit before you buy from wherever. Or contact the store and try to get more info about the item.

I know that sounds like a lot to do for shopping, but it's worth it if it means not having to go through the return process and all that jazz. Anyway, I hope some of this long rambling helps someone lol.

Edit: Also as was said before, a lot of those "stores" that advertise on places like Facebook are scams. I would only buy from stores that have a detailed history that I can research in order to be confident they're for real. Avoid super cheap clothing that seems too good to be true from unknown sources; that's an instant red flag. For other stores see if you can find detailed reviews about the store (both good and bad) and go from there, and check their history as a business.

lil

That's great advice Anastasia, and welcome back!!

stopped wearing bras?!?
DOWN WITH BRAS DOWN WITH BRAS

i'm like an e or f cup but idc bras are the satan

On another note, I also got into SVA!! *falls onto the floor and begs Pau to tell her all their secrets* Waiting on three more, will hopefully find out next week!

Kisaya

On another note, I also got into SVA!! *falls onto the floor and begs Pau to tell her all their secrets* Waiting on three more, will hopefully find out next week!

Omg pls go to SVA T____T me and Pau need more GirlGAF in NYC ;-;

lil

Omg pls go to SVA T____T me and Pau need more GirlGAF in NYC ;-;

Ahhh that would be so fun!! ;____; It's all about the $$$ though, ofc. SVA is actually second cheapest though?? I'm like praying for scholarships so we'll see how it goes. Also applying for 12k in outside scholarships so maybe that will help me out a bit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
OMFG you guys, I am still trying to get my money back from sammydress.com, and they just told me I had to change a review a had left for them on a site in order for me to get my money back. I am so fucking pissed.

Are you fucking kidding me?

This is extortion and fraud. Is there no recourse?

Edit: save this email as evidence. It might come in handy.

Pau

Awesome! :D Did you apply for their scholarship? I think you had to just send in the application before a certain date, but I don't remember. Unfortunately, that's the only way to get a good chunk of financial support. Otherwise I think it's just loans since it's a for-profit school. :( PM me if you have any questions or stuff.

lil

Awesome! :D Did you apply for their scholarship? I think you had to just send in the application before a certain date, but I don't remember. Unfortunately, that's the only way to get a good chunk of financial support. Otherwise I think it's just loans since it's a for-profit school. :( PM me if you have any questions or stuff.

Yeah all you had to do is apply in time so we'll see! :D I think they also match outside scholarships to an extent. Thanks for the offer, I'm sure I'll take you up on it!! ;)

Still fighting with this company. They straight up told me they 'couldn't' refund my money unless I edited my review. Seriously. And they told me to please not mention them holding my money in the review. I told them my conditions: Either refund my total money by tomorrow or I'd be posting screencaps of our conversation to every site I could think of.

I am never getting my money back lol
Tbh I would just edit it until they refund it and then start the backlash. Although it would be annoying if they take a long time to do so.

Although it is probably too late for that now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Half a refund? Now they're trying to bribe you hahah, half-assedly (literally) at that. What a bunch of cocks. Keep fighting the good fight, Fiction!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I thought you wanted to keep your real name anonymous? Might want to edit those screenshots. I mean GirlGAF is probably safe but you never know, once it's out there.

I don't think you really "lost your cool", I'd have probably been way harsher than you were, haha. I absolutely hate their style of emails too. Hypocritical and faux-polite, terrible grammar no spaces after the periods, you can just smell all the bullshit permeating their replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh it's up to you really, I don't think there's any harm in it, but IIRC you're the one who said you used a generic non-googlable username because you really worry about privacy, so it seemed strange that you left your first name from the screenshots. That said, I wouldn't worry about it, just wondered if it was an oversight or not. :)

Hope it works out with your bank, btw.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hey it's that time of the [indeterminate time period] again, where a bunch of dudes tell everyone what women really think!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=989552

In that thread I learned that Bella is the ultimate female power fantasy. Uh-huh...

I saw you in that thread. Yeah, after a couple of pages I thought "this is just dudes posting pictures of female game characters they'd like to have sex with." and went back to playing TLOU.

lil

Hey it's that time of the [indeterminate time period] again, where a bunch of dudes tell everyone what women really think!

In that thread I learned that Bella is the ultimate female power fantasy. Uh-huh...

I truly hate those threads from the bottom of my heart. I also learned that if Bella fails, we probably dream of being wedding planners, a sensible British woman, or Anastasia Steele, lmao.

At least it's not one of those threads where OP asks specifically for women's opinions and the thread gets flooded with dudes anyway.

At the end of the day, I think power fantasy could mean a lot of things, maybe a sexual woman, a buff woman, a knowledgeable woman, etc. as long as she has the appearance of agency. It's just that so many times in these discussions dudes uphold characters that are super pandering to men instead of created with a design and motives that are apart from that. So then we compensate by saying, "look at all these tough women instead!!" and they're great, but all most of us ever wanted to do was decentralize the conversation from the male-centric buff dude/sexualized lady binary, not uphold one "type" to aspire to. Now they're all mixed up, lol.

Kimaka

I'm usually interested in those types of threads that encourage discussion about what women find attractive because I don't have quite a full understanding of it myself. I know what is one in my circle of women who are into fandom and nerdy stuff, but have limited knowledge outside of it. But that thread is just going into what men think every woman's power fantasy is instead of discussing all the types available. The Bella types are one, but not the be all end of power fantasies. I much prefer headstrong intelligent women who aren't afraid to offer their opinion or physically strong women who are into wrecking shit. The Resident Evil movies kinda satisfy my second example but the main character isn't nearly as muscular as I would like.

Neidii

Yet another thread where dudes tell us girls what we like and people start arguing about Bayonetta. It's depressing and irritating. Although sometimes these threads are fun to read, and I try to contribute sometimes to combat the sausage fest.

I avoid those threads because I know contributing to them will result in my banning.

On that topic, I don't think there's such a thing as "ultimate" female power fantasy. Nor do I think there's such a thing as "ultimate" male power fantasy. That would imply that everyone is the same, and has the same fantasies.

Koriandrr

I always shop online. I haven't gone real life shopping for over 4 years now. ._.

It's just that shopping in a big city like London is totally painful and extremely exhausting. It's kind of like that episode of Dexter's Lab where his mom was in a super epic battler with another mom for the last pair of rubber gloves. But in real life. Not to mention the people who work in the shops are rarely nice. I just find it extremely time consuming and tiring to shop outside. I would only do it for shoes, when I'm not sure if they're comfy, but I think I've gotten the hang of spotting the comfy ones online too. And I mean heels and such, I wouldn't think twice if it's trainers or any sort of flats - just buy online.

Biggest benefit of all for shopping online though is - it's cheaper. Like, so.much.cheaper. And I always find my size. I'm a pretty generic shoe/clothes size - the stuff that sells out first, but they always have them in stock on the online shop :3

If I want some of my usual brands I'd go to the brand website, generally big fan of Zara. Otherwise for not-such-great quality, but much cheaper I go to Asos. I've occasionally used the Asos marketplace for some more fancy stuff I can't find locally, like Asian fashion and frilly cute girly shiz and I'm generally happy with it.

I don't really use modcloth, as I hate their materials and I find their dresses rather unflattering for my body type, but I do think their prices are nice.

For any UK girls around, I'd highly recommend the ragged priest, a British brand, they have nice sales.

I avoid those threads because I know contributing to them will result in my banning.

On that topic, I don't think there's such a thing as "ultimate" female power fantasy. Nor do I think there's such a thing as "ultimate" male power fantasy. That would imply that everyone is the same, and has the same fantasies.

That thread was hilarious, but reading about all of it is kinda weird. "Women" is not just one big group of clones... we're all very different. I mean, my ultimate fantasy is kinda morbid-- I want to kill with a thought. Like Death Note but mentally and without needing to know a person's name or face.

/shrug

dunno. That would be the ultimate fantasy. I'd be god! Literally!

To be fair though , I think it was pretty much only one guy talking about an "ultimate" power fantasy.

And that is a guy who is naming Kratos as the ultimate male power fantasy. Eh, no, thank you.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That thread was hilarious, but reading about all of it is kinda weird. "Women" is not just one big group of clones... we're all very different. I mean, my ultimate fantasy is kinda morbid-- I want to kill with a thought. Like Death Note but mentally and without needing to know a person's name or face.

/shrug

dunno. That would be the ultimate fantasy. I'd be god! Literally!

That's scary bunbuns. o: <3

Mine would just be to be proficient enough at fighting to dominate along with charisma most peoples since I'm physically pretty weak and don't stand out too much. Being more knowledgeable about stuff would be cool too since I feel like a dummy 90% of the time.

I'm thinking about doing kickboxing or something once I get more stable financially so maybe working towards making my fantasy partially a reality! (Although I don't think I'll be able to juggle people in the sky with demon powers.)

someday

Banned
Those threads drive me nuts because of the overwhelming amount of posts where men definitively state how women feel, then ignore actual posts from women saying the opposite. The thread was already pretty big when I saw it and I didn't post because my posts typically get completely ignored.

It just amazes me how many guys think they can answer any question for women. If someone starts a thread asking men for answers or opinions you don't really see girl-gaf running in and answering for the guys.

Grimalkin

Today I was in a meeting where we were discussing high level issues with the product. I suggested a solution and was ignored. Not 30 seconds later the man sitting next to me says the exact same thing and is praised up and down for his great and innovative idea. Ladies, he repeated what I said word for word, verbatim.

I couldn't help myself. I said, "I just said that."

Response: "No, I didn't hear anything."

Me: "I literally just said that exact thing not one minute ago."

Cue the 'she's crazy' side-eyes and knowing looks amongst the men. I was the only woman in the room as I am the highest ranking woman in development.

I'm so tired of dealing with this shit.

Pau

Those threads drive me nuts because of the overwhelming amount of posts where men definitively state how women feel, then ignore actual posts from women saying the opposite. The thread was already pretty big when I saw it and I didn't post because my posts typically get completely ignored.
Seriously. My favorite are the posts of people asking where all the female answers are, only to ignore them.

Today I was in a meeting where we were discussing high level issues with the product. I suggested a solution and was ignored. Not 30 seconds later the man sitting next to me says the exact same thing and is praised up and down for his great and innovative idea. Ladies, he repeated what I said word for word, verbatim.

Cue the 'she's crazy' side-eyes and knowing looks amongst the men. I was the only woman in the room as I am the highest ranking woman in development.

This sounds so fucking shitty. :/

I always shop online. I haven't gone real life shopping for over 4 years now. ._.

It's just that shopping in a big city like London is totally painful and extremely exhausting. It's kind of like that episode of Dexter's Lab where his mom was in a super epic battler with another mom for the last pair of rubber gloves. But in real life. Not to mention the people who work in the shops are rarely nice. I just find it extremely time consuming and tiring to shop outside. I would only do it for shoes, when I'm not sure if they're comfy, but I think I've gotten the hang of spotting the comfy ones online too. And I mean heels and such, I wouldn't think twice if it's trainers or any sort of flats - just buy online.

Biggest benefit of all for shopping online though is - it's cheaper. Like, so.much.cheaper. And I always find my size. I'm a pretty generic shoe/clothes size - the stuff that sells out first, but they always have them in stock on the online shop :3

If I want some of my usual brands I'd go to the brand website, generally big fan of Zara. Otherwise for not-such-great quality, but much cheaper I go to Asos. I've occasionally used the Asos marketplace for some more fancy stuff I can't find locally, like Asian fashion and frilly cute girly shiz and I'm generally happy with it.

I don't really use modcloth, as I hate their materials and I find their dresses rather unflattering for my body type, but I do think their prices are nice.

For any UK girls around, I'd highly recommend the ragged priest, a British brand, they have nice sales.

I couldn't imagine buying all of my clothes online. I like to see how things look on me first before I buy it and if something's wrong it'll take longer to correct than if I bought it in the store I could just take it back or exchange it.

What's everyone doing for valentines day?

My boof is taking me out to somewhere but won't say where. Just that it's a Japanese steakhouse. Those two things together sound positively amazing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I never do anything for Valentine's Day. Stupid hallmark holiday as far as I'm concerned. :p

Oh my gods, that sounds so infuriating. Sorry you had to go through that. :(

Kisaya

What's everyone doing for valentines day?

My boof is taking me out to somewhere but won't say where. Just that it's a Japanese steakhouse. Those two things together sound positively amazing.

Flying to Chicago tomorrow to spend the weekend with Sai-kun. It's my first Valentine's spending it with someone and I'm pretty excited :)

The Enchanter

Neo Member
I totally know how that feels. As a young, relatively senior level woman within my organisation I find myself often invisible when dealing with people externally (thankfully we have a good culture amongst staff). It can get really frustrating. Granted my age is a contributing factor but even then, don't talk to a male colleague if you want something done on my project. Speak to me.

Good on you for speaking up. Really. Their reaction really shows the double standards in behaviour - men are seen as assertive, women - irrational/bitchy. I see it all the time.

Leeness

I'm gonna eat nothing but chocolate today.

ClVCzbz.jpg

It's going to be a long, difficult day.

Look at this beautiful, basking dog.

Hi GirlGAF

I feel like I was out in the cold, I'm gonna chill here.

on a sad note, tomorrow I'm gonna have to give away my dog because my new landlord doesn't want him around.

Top Bottom