• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

I would start by saying hi.

Hi, what subjects do I talk about to interest a woman at a bar? Are woman interested in the differences between scotch whiskey and bourbon? Do I pull out my 3DS and ask her to street pass?

I am in holland and i have no idea if saying I am American is a positive or a negative. It was a negative in France.

Edit. This isn't the dating GAF thread I'll see myself out

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
How do I talk to woman at bars, also how do I get men to not talk to me at bars. I seem to be a bro magnet.

P.S. I am a guy
P.S.S I drink alone
You have to talk to the women, don't buy them drinks, either.
You just have to live with being hit on by men. As a straight man that gets hit on by men a lot I just had to learn to live with it and ignore it. Don't be an asshole though, they're trying to find a date or get laid just like you.

I am in holland and i have no idea if saying I am American is a positive or a negative. It was a negative in France.
What part of the US are you from? If you're from California, Florida, or New York say that instead.

Hi, what subjects do I talk about to interest a woman at a bar? Are woman interested in the differences between scotch whiskey and bourbon? Do I pull out my 3DS and ask her to street pass?

Edit. This isn't the dating GAF thread I'll see myself out

It may be quite a bit more difficult in Holland than in America to approach people that way, I say that as someone who has lived here his whole life.

Sai-kun

Banned
Hello, ladies! <3

Just posting to ask if any of you are familiar with a brand/place I could possibly find leggings with pockets on them? Even like running/athletic tights would be okay :)

I figure you all know some better spots to look than I do, because I know jack shit about where to buy clothes outside of amazon, honestly.

in return i will reward u w/ cute pics of my cat!!! thank you <3

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hello, ladies! <3

Just posting to ask if any of you are familiar with a brand/place I could possibly find leggings with pockets on them? Even like running/athletic tights would be okay :)

I figure you all know some better spots to look than I do, because I know jack shit about where to buy clothes outside of amazon, honestly.

Sorry, no idea!

-

Any of you ladies have experience of manterrupting? I think it might have been discussed a few pages ago. Despite being relatively a relatively senior professional , I have one particular colleague who constantly does it and it is INFURIATING.

Amalthea

Banned
My dad does it but that's more bc. his attention problems. Sometimes he starts a conversation about stuff the family had been talking for 20 minutes. lol

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
My dad does it but that's more bc. his attention problems. Sometimes he starts a conversation about stuff the family had been talking for 20 minutes. lol

Haha that sounds like a parental thing in general!

I'm talking about where more senior male staff automatically treat you as infantile or speak over / attempt to repeat what you've said but using the obviously more intelligent and important man voice. While the client you were speaking to looks at you confused because you were having a perfectly pleasant conversation just seconds ago. And then the senior person will then blather on in a supremely conceited way while the client looks befuddled.

I am not bitter.

Kimaka

Hello, ladies! <3

I know your pain. I had a hell of a time trying to find tights with pockets. I ended up finding some running tights at Forever 21.

lil

Hello, ladies! <3

A lot of those jeggings/faux pants will have back pockets, Target has a lot of them. Other than that, no clue. :(

Hello, ladies! <3

No ideas :< but I do demand kitty pics!!!!!!! Rrrrraaawwrrrr

GL with shopping &#127980;!!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Any of you ladies have experience of manterrupting? I think it might have been discussed a few pages ago. Despite being relatively a relatively senior professional , I have one particular colleague who constantly does it and it is INFURIATING.
Can't say that I have but I heard some girls mention that at work. Must be so infuriating. Any chance you could just interrupt them right back and say "ahem, let me finish please"?

My brother interrupts me all the time. But he does that with everyone, not just girls or me specifically. He just constantly interrupts people and he doesn't even notice it. It's infuriating, but I can't be too mad because he doesn't realize when he does it and it's not out of malice or condescension. He's just incredibly rude without noticing, hah. Sometimes I interrupt him right back and say "let him finish!" or "let me finish!". And then he stops and looks a bit sheepish (in a "oh, I did that again huh?" kind of look -- he knows he has a problem but can't seem to control it). One time I experimented and just tried to keep talking over his interruption just to see if he'd notice something was off, but he just kept talking over me. I had to stop because I couldn't concentrate on what I was saying while he was talking over me, whereas he just continued talking, completely unfazed. It was a little surreal. xD

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Can't say that I have but I heard some girls mention that at work. Must be so infuriating. Any chance you could just interrupt them right back and say "ahem, let me finish please"?

My brother interrupts me all the time. But he does that with everyone, not just girls or me specifically. He just constantly interrupts people and he doesn't even notice it. It's infuriating, but I can't be too mad because he doesn't realize when he does it and it's not out of malice or condescension. He's just incredibly rude without noticing, hah. Sometimes I interrupt him right back and say "let him finish!" or "let me finish!". And then he stops and looks a bit sheepish (in a "oh, I did that again huh?" kind of look -- he knows he has a problem but can't seem to control it). One time I experimented and just tried to keep talking over his interruption just to see if he'd notice something was off, but he just kept talking over me. I had to stop because I couldn't concentrate on what I was saying while he was talking over me, whereas he just continued talking, completely unfazed. It was a little surreal. xD

Haha! That sounds crazy (the talking over each other thing)!

I'm usually quite good at standing up for myself (I'm generally pretty assertive, I have to be in my job!), it's when he does it in front of clients, really. I can't do anything without appearing petty and making the firm look unprofessional. I've spoken to a few super-senior people about it and apparently it's a known thing - he's a bit of a funny one. Generally I quite like him, it's just that he is so full of himself he doesn't seem to realise that anybody else exists. I wonder what his wife is like!

But, yeah, thanks for the suggestion - and Amalthea sorry if I was a bit insensitive. I was posting on my lunch hour and as I walked back to work I thought "oh gosh what if I've put my foot in it about your dad" - so sorry if I missed the point a bit. Won't be the first time (or the last).

It annoys me how people in here in the Hop thread and other message boards like to point or make fun of me for acknowledging the existence of female rappers. I see why there's such a disparage for females in the genre. I have a male friend who says he can't listen to female artists. I played a song of a man doing a cover of female rapper's song and he said that was dope, but he heard the one from the original artist first and didn't acknowledge it. I confronted him on that and he said he wasn't really listening to it because he doesn't like female rappers. It's like his ears turn off when he hears something suggesting a double x chromosome.

Sai-kun

Banned
I know your pain. I had a hell of a time trying to find tights with pockets. I ended up finding some running tights at Forever 21.

Cool! Thanks for the pointer! I guess 'side-pocket' is a term I need to be looking for. These rainbow ones I might get even though they don't have pockets, just cuz they're so rad haha.

No ideas :< but I do demand kitty pics!!!!!!! Rrrrraaawwrrrr

GL with shopping &#127980;!!

I didn't wanna wake Kai up so for now you'll have to settle for this one of him sleeping :3

N1AiZWQ.jpg

It annoys me how people in here in the Hop thread and other message boards like to point or make fun of me for acknowledging the existence of female rappers. I see why there's such a disparage for females in the genre. I have a male friend who says he can't listen to female artists. I played a song of a man doing a cover of female rapper's song and he said that was dope, but he heard the one from the original artist first and didn't acknowledge it. I confronted him on that and he said he wasn't really listening to it because he doesn't like female rappers. It's like his ears turn off when he hears something suggesting a double x chromosome.

Wow, that's really shitty and weird. Obviously I can't totally empathize, but I imagine it must be super frustrating to contend with.

lil

Gah, that sucks so much. Female rappers (legit ones, not Igloo) need more respect and attention.

Slightly off-point, I've seen "male responses" to female rappers' songs that are sooo bad. Like "hey you know that black female artist making sick songs that subvert conventional expectations in music? Let me remind you that black women are also terrible."

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm English and about as white as you can get, but I really like Azaelia Banks. I know she's outspoken but I don't think she deserves the amount of bile thrown her way.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Man I hate snorers. x: When I do clincal trials I always get stuck next to a bunch of them or get put into a dorm with a bunch, so I've invested in earplugs because of this.

Well since I assume you know who you're sleeping next to maybe you can get them some of those nose strips?

squarerootofpie

Neo Member
I love her music but she's... bleh.

Thanks to the Asian American music thread, I discovered Awkwafina.

Hell. Fucking. Yes. Some of her songs are a little too similar sounding IMO (like the beat for Yellow Ranger, Marijuana, and NYC Bitche$ are all really alike), but I like all of them anyway.

I totally thought this was a joke because of this, from Bojack Horseman

bojack4.png

Amazing, I get the reference now! I'll have to check her out :D

I'm in bed next to a snoring man right now. I have no idea how people do this and not murder their partners. Help me.

I had to share my room with my brother for the few days I let him stay here and you can hear him through the whole house. I let him use some Afrin "Severe Congestion" I bought when I was sick and he didn't snore for the rest of the night.

Either your man's nasal passage is clogged or he could have some sort of physical problem. Try Afrin or some strips first. If those don't work I think they have some sort of mouth piece that helps. If that doesn't work kill him.
If you can't stomach that he may have sleep apnea and the machine that comes with that is loud as fuck.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I tend to gently nudge or position my partner as surreptitiously as possible. It's quite funny, though, one time she snored so loud she woke herself up :D

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I know it's a bit reaching but those 'love in' threads where everyone talks about their favourite posters remind me so much of people 'forgetting' to invite me to stuff at school. Do you know I've never had a best friend? I don't think I'm a loner or anything but for some reason I just instinctively keep people at a distance (despite being friendly and that). Either way, it's damn upsetting. I wish I knew how to actually open up to people and all that. I'm like a locked box.

Yes, I know I'm reading way too much into it all! Bad memories have been activated! Grumble.

Anyway...

...yes I did laugh silly when she woke herself up! Although I have to be careful because If she's 'sleep awake' and I giggle she gets incredibly angry (and then falls asleep abruptly half way through the argument).

esms

That's pretty shitty. They're honestly missing out, too. Bahamadia is in my all time top 10, easily.

Anastasia

I know it's a bit reaching but those 'love in' threads where everyone talks about their favourite posters remind me so much of people 'forgetting' to invite me to stuff at school. Do you know I've never had a best friend? I don't think I'm a loner or anything but for some reason I just instinctively keep people at a distance (despite being friendly and that). Either way, it's damn upsetting. I wish I knew how to actually open up to people and all that. I'm like a locked box.

Yes, I know I'm reading way too much into it all! Bad memories have been activated! Grumble.

I tend to keep people at a distance too. I'm not sure if it's out of fear or just that I would rather keep things to myself most of the time. I've found that talking even a little bit can help me open up though. It's definitely something I need to work on.

FWIW, you're one of my favorite posters. I also really appreciate the support you've given toward the trans community here. You're awesome and don't you forget it! ;o

Kisaya

I have a legit hard time getting close to people too, except I actively try to. I only have a few close friends... two who I can call best friends and the rest are all don't live in NY anymore. And then there's my boyfriend who I really talk to the most, but we're still long distance at the moment... First impressions are so important to me so I try to give the best that I can whenever meeting someone new, but usually it's not enough to have someone want to keep in contact. It's really discouraging sometimes... I wish I had more girl friends.

lil

I always had best friends growing up, and then high school happened and I got ditched, lol. Never had friends after that, since I was never there due to my disability. This year I'm in a new grade and I've met people, but no one I hang out with after school or anything. Doesn't help that my best friend at school is in Pakistan for a month. ;___;

I'm terrified that I'm not gonna have friends in college, lol. It's silly though, I just had a rough go before because of girl crap and health issues. Can't wait to decide where I'm going so I can try and meet people beforehand or something. Go to one of those accepted students' days, lol. I act all positive about it when anyone asks, but tbh I'm super lonely, spending 5 years by yourself does that to you I guess. :/

I have a legit hard time getting close to people too, except I actively try to. I only have a few close friends... two who I can call best friends and the rest are all don't live in NY anymore. And then there's my boyfriend who I really talk to the most, but we're still long distance at the moment... First impressions are so important to me so I try to give the best that I can whenever meeting someone new, but usually it's not enough to have someone want to keep in contact. It's really discouraging sometimes... I wish I had more girl friends.

Gah, that really sucks. :/ It's hard to imagine why anyone wouldn't wanna keep in touch with you, you're like SO kind and friendly. I dunno, all this social stuff can be so cruel and heartbreaking sometimes.

Amalthea

Banned
I have a hard time opening up to people too.
So much that I got an appointment for joining a therapy group for learning social skills.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I tend to keep people at a distance too. I'm not sure if it's out of fear or just that I would rather keep things to myself most of the time. I've found that talking even a little bit can help me open up though. It's definitely something I need to work on.

FWIW, you're one of my favorite posters. I also really appreciate the support you've given toward the trans community here. You're awesome and don't you forget it! ;o

I was watching this TED talk last night where the speaker was saying that "hiding is a habit" which gets worse the more you do it and a little light bulb went on in my head. It's hard though, especially when you're in the habit. My therapist would always tell me to be patient with myself and so I am going to say that to you :)

Eeek, thanks, right back atcha * Mutual ego massage*

I can understand that. A lot of my group of friends from school all moved away and since then I've just not been able to make friends that easily since. Like you say, it's not enough to have someone want to keep in contact. It's like I've broken my friendship bone or something.

I always had best friends growing up, and then high school happened and I got ditched, lol. Never had friends after that, since I was never there due to my disability. This year I'm in a new grade and I've met people, but no one I hang out with after school or anything. Doesn't help that my best friend at school is in Pakistan for a month. ;___;

I'm terrified that I'm not gonna have friends in college, lol. It's silly though, I just had a rough go before because of girl crap and health issues. Can't wait to decide where I'm going so I can try and meet people beforehand or something. Go to one of those accepted students' days, lol. I act all positive about it when anyone asks, but tbh I'm super lonely, spending 5 years by yourself does that to you I guess. :/

High school was/is brutal. When people say school days are the best days of your life I just wonder what they've been smoking. Societies might help at college? It's a fresh start which is a good opportunity - I don't know if it's like university over here but the first few weeks are just people being confused and trying to find friends, so it might be a nice chance to start afresh. Just choose wisely! I ended up making friends with the first people I found, who turned out to be a bunch of super-shallow, mega-wealthy drug-heads. Was not a nice environment!

I have a hard time opening up to people too.
So much that I got an appointment for joining a therapy group for learning social skills.

Good luck :)

N0VAM0D

Hello GirlGAF!

I've been lurking this thread for quite a while but have been a bit too nervous to introduce myself until now!

I'm N0VAM0D
but really wanna change my username to miauviv
, and I live in Australia! I'm absolutely addicted to graphic design, and am currently studying it! I like lots of other things too, of course. Especially music, fashion, languages, sociology, video games and food. I want to travel to lots of places one day, and I also hope to own an extremely fluffy kitty and a fridge that has an ice cube machine on the front.

You all seem like wonderful people, and I would love to get to know you!

pls

Kisaya

Hello GirlGAF!

I've been lurking this thread for quite a while but have been a bit too nervous to introduce myself until now!

I'm N0VAM0D
, and I live in Australia! I'm absolutely addicted to graphic design, and am currently studying it! I like lots of other things too, of course. Especially music, fashion, languages, sociology, video games and food. I want to travel to lots of places one day, and I also hope to own an extremely fluffy kitty and a fridge that has an ice cube machine on the front.

pls

Welcome <3 we're glad to have you join us!

Hello GirlGAF!

I'm N0VAM0D

pls

hiya

Hello GirlGAF!

I'm N0VAM0D

pls

WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW

fellow aussie gal *_______*

*latches on to miau and not let go*

^_________________^

WELCOME WELCOME <333333333

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dammit, what did bunny do again xD She's getting banned so often lately, always makes me scared it's going to be a perm this time (I hope it's not, anyway).
Hello GirlGAF!

I'm N0VAM0D

pls
Hello and welcome! *waves*

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hello GirlGAF!

I'm N0VAM0D

pls

Yo! Your avatar wins my "best avatar of the day" award. Congrats!

It's a very, very prestigious award.

Top Bottom