• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Biker19

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this in, but I have about 3 daily deal apps, & I'm trying to figure out which is the most useful between Amazon Local, Groupon, & RetailMeNot.

What do you think about each of them?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So in the midst of that "Girls are water, Men are mud" thread that happened a couple days ago, I had asked this question that wasn't really noticed (and can you blame anyone?) I figured that this might be a good place to get input instead of making a new topic for it.
This in an interesting question, because equivalent words don't carry the same connotations. Guys is informal and is inclusive to women (guys can refer to a group of men, or a group of men and women,) but not necessarily right for a group of only women. You could say men as a neutral for a group of only men, but I've never heard it used that way outside of a movie, it feels old fashioned and outdated. But in many circumstances gentlemen would be overly formal. You wouldn't likely substitute it for its diminutive "boys" unless you were in an informal and very familiar setting.

But when referring to women the equivalents of those words aren't bilaterally interchangeable. Gals is even more informal than guys, and doesn't seem to be applicable unless there is a feeling of familiarity, girls even more so than gals, but less so than its equivalent boys. You also wouldn't use gals to include men, unless the situation was completely informal and very familiar. But the formal ladies can be used in place of guys (still excluding any men,) but without the same overweight feeling that its counterpart gentlemen might impart. "Women," it seems to me, can also have a similar offness that "men" might, but it feels as though it's for different reasons.

iirate

How do you guys cope with super low self-esteem / mood swings?

I'm really struggling.

Lots of caffeine. The only thing I can try to do at that point is get my energy levels up, and that's the quickest path. If I'm feeling better after that, I'll probably start cleaning or exercise for another boost. Not sure how useful that is to everyone as general advice, but typically energy=positivity for me.

I'm really struggling.

:< Sorry to hear that, Sploatee

I dont have a lot of mood swings, so I dont know if these advice would help but walking a really, really, really long walk with my dogs sometimes help when I'm stressed out. And if my mom's around, I find hugging her or giving her massage help as well. The act of closeness helps, in general.

Other than that. Movies, and alcohol. Although the later sometimes just makes it super worse :<

Internet hugs here, if you wants them <3

lil

I'm really struggling.

Sth if the mood swing is really bad all you can do is do something distracting like play a game or marathon TV, heh. BUT what I find really helpful if you can urge yourself to do it is try to do something that makes you feel proud/good, even if it's really little. Like, cleaning your space, learning something you always wanted to learn, practice a skill, anything that builds confidence. That always helps me and it gives me some positive momentum the next day as well!

oh and I forgot to say welcome miau!!!

Anastasia

I'm really struggling.

I try to find things that make me laugh; if I'm able to laugh then it must not be as bad as I thought. Along with that I remind myself that my self-worth is defined from within, and not by outside forces. Keeping sight of what is good in my life and what I have accomplished, and what is there rather than what isn't is very important.

I hope you feel better soon sploatee! I'm always here if you need someone to talk/vent to. <3

*hugs*

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Lots of caffeine. The only thing I can try to do at that point is get my energy levels up, and that's the quickest path. If I'm feeling better after that, I'll probably start cleaning or exercise for another boost. Not sure how useful that is to everyone as general advice, but typically energy=positivity for me.

:< Sorry to hear that, Sploatee

I dont have a lot of mood swings, so I dont know if these advice would help but walking a really, really, really long walk with my dogs sometimes help when I'm stressed out. And if my mom's around, I find hugging her or giving her massage help as well. The act of closeness helps, in general.

Other than that. Movies, and alcohol. Although the later sometimes just makes it super worse :<

Internet hugs here, if you wants them <3

Sth if the mood swing is really bad all you can do is do something distracting like play a game or marathon TV, heh. BUT what I find really helpful if you can urge yourself to do it is try to do something that makes you feel proud/good, even if it's really little. Like, cleaning your space, learning something you always wanted to learn, practice a skill, anything that builds confidence. That always helps me and it gives me some positive momentum the next day as well!

oh and I forgot to say welcome miau!!!

I try to find things that make me laugh; if I'm able to laugh then it must not be as bad as I thought. Along with that I remind myself that my self-worth is defined from within, and not by outside forces. Keeping sight of what is good in my life and what I have accomplished, and what is there rather than what isn't is very important.

I hope you feel better soon sploatee! I'm always here if you need someone to talk/vent to. <3

*hugs*

Thank you all :) i will try and take these on board. And I will take the Internet hugs YesNO as long as you don't mind me looking very uncomfortable.

I'm wondering whether I might be a bit bipolar. I've been diagnosed with clinical depression but it feels more like extreme up and down rather than steady down. Either way, it's not fun.

Welcome miau :)

Amalthea

Banned
I can't say much about getting in a better mood bc. my situation is basically the same.

Gonna buy me some Kinder chocolate and a bottle of Bailey's in the afternoon to get myself into better spirits in the evening.

*huuuuuugs sploateeee* aaawww <3

Some days are just impossible seeming... Inst it ;____;

Hope you feel better soon, sploatee!

Hugs for you too, Amalthea <3

Btw where's your nick come from?? Amalthea is such a pretty name. Is it from a fantasy book?

Amalthea

Banned

Btw where's your nick come from?? Amalthea is such a pretty name. Is it from a fantasy book?
Thanks YesNOnoNOYes! :)

And yes, It's from The Last Unicorn.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I can't say much about getting in a better mood bc. my situation is basically the same.

Gonna buy me some Kinder chocolate and a bottle of Bailey's in the afternoon to get myself into better spirits in the evening.

:-( did it work? Kinder chocolate is lovely.

I'm really feeling weird right now. I've been off of Gaf for a few days because I had to attend a funeral. I'm exasperated from the funeral events, saw some family I haven't seen in years. One in ten years. It felt weird when she said I've shot up since I've been grown for several years and haven't grown an inch since then. There was also the family drama and it looks like there might be another member that will start being absent because of how the wake and funeral went down.

As the family gets smaller and smaller, it seems to grow father apart.

GAH I HATE YOU BUNNNNYYY

now im laughing uncontrollably at work and people are looking at me and i ... cant explain myself because im not supposed to be internetting / gaffing right now

OMG SO FUNNY THOUGH <3333333333333

GAH I HATE YOU BUNNNNYYY

now im laughing uncontrollably at work and people are looking at me and i ... cant explain myself because im not supposed to be internetting / gaffing right now

OMG SO FUNNY THOUGH <3333333333333

"Sir, I just spotted YesNO laughing for no reason!"
"...she must be gaffing again. I knew it."

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm really feeling weird right now. I've been off of Gaf for a few days because I had to attend a funeral. I'm exasperated from the funeral events, saw some family I haven't seen in years. One in ten years. It felt weird when she said I've shot up since I've been grown for several years and haven't grown an inch since then. There was also the family drama and it looks like there might be another member that will start being absent because of how the wake and funeral went down.

As the family gets smaller and smaller, it seems to grow father apart.

That sounds like a pretty tough time. I don't really know what to say other than family politics can be intense and I hope you're getting some rest.

Hi GirlGaf!

I see fashion being discussed here and I thought I'd share a little something my wonderful wife is working on :)

She started a blog called Go for Thrifty. She does vlogs and lookbooks for inexpensive clothing and makeup. She even does recipes on her wordpress blog. I figured some of you all might be interested :)

Here's the Youtube channel

Here's the blog

Hope y'all find something useful or at least entertaining here!

iirate

I lost one of my best friends yesterday.

NP9J0RZl.jpg

I woke up around midnight the night before and couldn't get back to sleep, so I stayed up watching Twitch while she slept at my feet. She seemed her normal happy self, and eventually crawled into my arms at the front of the bed, and we snuggled until she got up to eat around 4, and I started my day. I went on a walk around 5, and when I got back almost an hour later, she had thrown up in the hall. That isn't common for her, but it also hadn't been unheard of, so I didn't think much of it. Soon after, I noticed her acting odd - she was trying to lay down on my roommates bed and get comfortable, but she couldn't. It was obvious she wasn't feeling well, but she still mostly seemed herself.

Soon after, she threw up again and collapsed in my roommate's closet. It was clear that she could not stand up. We woke the house up and started contacting vets. It was just a little after 6, and none would be open until 7:30 - no doctors would be available until 8. We all stayed with her, tried to get her to drink water, and waited. By the time the vet was able to see her, she was almost gone. They said she needed a blood transfusion and that the hospital didn't have the blood to give. She died on that table soon after.

She was one of my best friends, and just a few hours from when I last held her in my arms, she died. I've cried myself to the point of absolute exhaustion twice now, and I'm still afraid that it hasn't sunk in. I find myself still looking back to my bed expecting to see her there. I almost emptied my glass of water before leaving my room this morning, so that she wouldn't try to destroy my keyboard(again) while I was away. I got up to take a shower this morning, and there was an utterly alien sensation when she wasn't there to follow me into the restroom. I keep hearing her chirps throughout the house.

Everyone that has had the pleasure to know her is grieving right now, but I know that they're worried about me more than anything else. This last year has been by far the hardest one of my life, and she has been one of my few bright points. Honestly, I know I'm going to be okay - possibly even more than the people around me seem to understand. As bad as things are, I'm just immensely grateful for having known her, and the hardest part right now is how tightly I'm holding on to my memories of her. Her love for me and everyone around her was obvious in her every action, and I'm just hoping that our love for her was enough to ease whatever suffering she dealt with.

Yrael

I woke up around midnight the night before and couldn't get back to sleep, so I stayed up watching Twitch while she slept at my feet. She seemed her normal happy self, and eventually crawled into my arms at the front of the bed, and we snuggled until she got to eat around 4, and I started my day. I went on a walk around 5, and when I got back almost an hour later, she had thrown up in the hall. That isn't common for her, but it also hadn't been unheard of, so I didn't think much of it. Soon after, I noticed her acting odd - she was trying to lay down on my roommates bed and get comfortable, but she couldn't. It was obvious she wasn't feeling well, but she still mostly seemed herself.

Soon after, she threw up again and collapsed in my roommate's closet. It was clear that she could not stand up. We woke the house up and started contacting vets. It was just a little after 6, and none would be open until 7:30 - no doctors would be available until 8. We all stayed with her, tried to get her to drink water, and waited. By the time the vet was able to see her, she was almost gone. They said she needed a blood transfusion and that the hospital didn't have the blood to give. She died on that table soon after.

She was one of my best friends, and just a few hours from when I last held her in my arms, she died. I've cried myself to the point of absolute exhaustion twice now, and I'm still afraid that it hasn't sunk in. I find myself still looking back to my bed expecting to see her there. I almost emptied my glass of water before leaving my room this morning, so that she wouldn't try to destroy my keyboard(again) while I was away. I got up to take a shower this morning, and there was an utterly alien sensation when she wasn't there to follow me into the restroom. I keep hearing her chirps throughout the house.

Everyone that has had the pleasure to know her is grieving right now, but I know that they're worried about me more than anything else. This last year has been by far the hardest one of my life, and she has been one of my few bright points. Honestly, I know I'm going to be okay - possibly even more than the people around me seem to understand. As bad as things are, I'm just immensely grateful for having known her, and the hardest part right now is how tightly I'm holding on to my memories of her. Her love for me and everyone around her was obvious in her every action, and I'm just hoping that our love for her was enough to ease whatever suffering she dealt with.

That's horrible - I'm so, so sorry for your loss iirate. :(

lil

iirate I'm sooo sorry, damn. :( That sounds horrible to go through, and to keep thinking she's still there.... hope you find comfort right now.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Anyone know how to make my curly hair not all poofy? I got an interview tomorrow and I can't seem to figure out how to do it aside from just flat ironing everything out.

Also sorry about your kitty iirate she looks like a lovely friend. ):

Mistel

Banned
Anyone know how to make my curly hair not all poofy? I got an interview tomorrow and I can't seem to figure out how to do it aside from just flat ironing everything out.

Also sorry about your kitty iirate she looks like a lovely friend. ):
Sleep with it up then it will be less poofy when you wake up.

I woke up around midnight the night before and couldn't get back to sleep, so I stayed up watching Twitch while she slept at my feet. She seemed her normal happy self, and eventually crawled into my arms at the front of the bed, and we snuggled until she got up to eat around 4, and I started my day. I went on a walk around 5, and when I got back almost an hour later, she had thrown up in the hall. That isn't common for her, but it also hadn't been unheard of, so I didn't think much of it. Soon after, I noticed her acting odd - she was trying to lay down on my roommates bed and get comfortable, but she couldn't. It was obvious she wasn't feeling well, but she still mostly seemed herself.

I feel for your loss. I'll be praying for you. These are rough times.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

:-( that's heartbreaking

I'm really sorry for your loss, iirate. I don't know what to say but I just hope that you are as OK as you can be. x

Those are really nice. I've always liked how razor sharp the tailoring is with Prorsum. Also very creative with fabrics. I don't own any pieces myself but would like to one day (if I could afford it :p).

I would love to have a Prorsum trench, especially something like this. Too bad I don't have $3700 lol. I have this magnmag trench which will do for now:
costume national and calvin klein collection do slick tailoring and are semi-niche enough to be snagged for much, much less.

Anastasia

I'm sorry for your loss iirate. :-(

costume national and calvin klein collection do slick tailoring and are semi-niche enough to be snagged for much, much less.

I love Costume National. I was just looking at a really nice C'N'C trench, but I'm a bit tight on money right now. I like Calvin Klein Collection too, but they're a bit pricier than I would like. I know both brands go on sale a lot though. I think Gilt used to have Collection sales all the time, but I haven't visited in a while.

GAFsis~ *yawns*

I'm so sleepy all the time at work lately. Too much mmo~ haha~ Thankfully no one notices???? O___O;;;;;;

What are y'all playing lately?

(im still in TERA)

Pau

GAFsis~ *yawns*

I'm so sleepy all the time at work lately. Too much mmo~ haha~ Thankfully no one notices???? O___O;;;;;;

(im still in TERA)
A game called mathematical proofs. And crying. And burning out from school work.

I wish I was playing City Skylines. :/

Anastasia

I've been obsessed with Bloodborne. I also recently finished episode 2 of Life is Strange and will replay that, since I missed some things the first time around.

Took a hiatus from DoA5 LR (thanks Bloodborne) but am going to get back into it. I like to get in some short games of Counterspy here and there too. And I have been playing TLoU mp and BF4, like usual.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I've been blooding bornes lately!
I've apparently been doing things under-leveled which might explain why it was so hard for me before, but I'm having tons o' fun.

I also played DmC: DE which fixes my problems with the game's combat which made it pretty fun! I just kinda hate the rest of it since it took the awful parts of the DMC4 platforming and made it worse by putting more holes to die in while you're fighting.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
GAFsis~ *yawns*

(im still in TERA)

Bloodborne! As a Souls fan I am obsessed and will probably play ridiculous amounts of hours, making several characters etc. Here's my first hunter:

7b7jyi.jpg

6BeVqA.jpg

Pau

Kark might cave in and get a PS4 for Bloodborne. But I've been pretty much in the dark about it until I play it. (As I was for Demon's Souls.)

what's wrong pau? :eek:
Just the stress from school. :c

Also, club I'm in at school has a chat that is regularly filled with "lol feminism" jokes. It's mostly guys with about four girls. I know these are college kids that think reddit memes are hilarious and just want to get a rise out of people, but do I really need to read this shit in a chat for a school publication I help run? I don't know how to confront it without being met with "over-sensitive feminist". :/ None of the other girls seem to have a problem with it.

Yrael

Also, club I'm in at school has a chat that is regularly filled with "lol feminism" jokes. It's mostly guys with about four girls. I know these are college kids that think reddit memes are hilarious and just want to get a rise out of people, but do I really need to read this shit in a chat for a school publication I help run? I don't know how to confront it without being met with "over-sensitive feminist". :/ None of the other girls seem to have a problem with it.

They may feel the same way as you (not really okay with it, but also not wanting to "rock the boat" for fear of being called hypersensitive).

iirate

Kark might cave in and get a PS4 for Bloodborne. But I've been pretty much in the dark about it until I play it. (As I was for Demon's Souls.)

Is there anywhere you can anonymously report their comments?

Slightly off-topic and not very helpful here, but I took a gender studies class as a summer elective a few years back, and it seemed like the class was pretty anti-feminist and hostile to the professor and the material in general. I assumed that maybe it was being taken as a blow off class, but these same classmates seemed to really struggle with the material. They clearly weren't trying to broaden their horizons or anything either, as they seemed to be more interested in bashing the class than looking at anything in it critically.

Top Bottom