• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Kark might cave in and get a PS4 for Bloodborne. But I've been pretty much in the dark about it until I play it. (As I was for Demon's Souls.)

Just the stress from school. :c

Also, club I'm in at school has a chat that is regularly filled with "lol feminism" jokes. It's mostly guys with about four girls. I know these are college kids that think reddit memes are hilarious and just want to get a rise out of people, but do I really need to read this shit in a chat for a school publication I help run? I don't know how to confront it without being met with "over-sensitive feminist". :/ None of the other girls seem to have a problem with it.

aw :/
just stand your ground, if you present your issues in a reasonable and not overly emotional way nobody has any reason to call you a "over-sensitive feminist". they may even be able to really understand, who knows. and if they're not taking you seriously then they truly are reddit-infected shitheads but at least you tried and really don't have to worry about people who refuse logic and common sense anymore.

City Skylines~ I wants to play this very much *____*

Wow, Bloodborne eh :> Looks like fun!

Pau, oh, that's so frustrating :< I agree with User33, maybe if you can broach the topic lightly with the other girls you'll find that they actually hold similar opinions like you? Feminism seems to still have a stigma in some circles :< A few of my female friends refuse to call themselves feminists even though they basically are feminists...

ALSO: I miss devo v much ;____;

Yrael

Note that this is a guy's perspective, but I would lightly broach the topic with the other girls in the club to get a feel for whether they feel the same as you. It's going to be a lot easier for three or four of you to discuss it with the guys than just yourself. Start with that, and if you find it is just you, I would try discussing it with in private with the guy you trust the most in the club (maybe one of them who doesn't participate in the jokes). If he's a good guy, he'll either cut the jokes off, or subtly get the other guys to knock it off.

Is there anywhere you can anonymously report their comments?

Slightly off-topic and not very helpful here, but I took a gender studies class as a summer elective a few years back, and it seemed like the class was pretty anti-feminist and hostile to the professor and the material in general. I assumed that maybe it was being taken as a blow off class, but these same classmates seemed to really struggle with the material. They clearly weren't trying to broaden their horizons or anything either, as they seemed to be more interested in bashing the class than looking at anything in it critically.

just stand your ground, if you present your issues in a reasonable and not overly emotional way nobody has any reason to call you a "over-sensitive feminist". they may even be able to really understand, who knows. and if they're not taking you seriously then they truly are reddit-infected shitheads but at least you tried and really don't have to worry about people who refuse logic and common sense anymore.

Pau, oh, that's so frustrating :< I agree with User33, maybe if you can broach the topic lightly with the other girls you'll find that they actually hold similar opinions like you? Feminism seems to still have a stigma in some circles :< A few of my female friends refuse to call themselves feminists even though they basically are feminists...

+1 to all of these too. :)

Kisaya

Also, club I'm in at school has a chat that is regularly filled with "lol feminism" jokes. It's mostly guys with about four girls. I know these are college kids that think reddit memes are hilarious and just want to get a rise out of people, but do I really need to read this shit in a chat for a school publication I help run? I don't know how to confront it without being met with "over-sensitive feminist". :/ None of the other girls seem to have a problem with it.

Ew no fuck it, I would say something. Totally inappropriate and just sounds douchey from the guys. Call them out!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Gotta agree with this. A long time ago I might have been among those girls who wouldn't have a problem with it, but growing older I do get fed up with that shit.

lil

Geez Pau, that's a really hard situation and I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks as I read it. They shouldn't be doing that in the club's chat (or anywhere, heh). I guess there's always gonna be people like that, but it seems worse in school. I'd def talk to the girls one-on-one and get their opinions, they might express more to you when not in the group setting.

I didn't wanna flood the thread with all my weird college news haha, but I got into all 5 of my schools, scholarships to all 5, and I just got a phone call today from SCAD saying I got a distinguished scholars award for 20k/year. I'm seriously beside myself right now, I NEVER expected something like that to happen. Unfortunately, I still can't afford it hahaha! MassArt is the only 'affordable' choice (and I REALLY like it), but I'm visiting MECA too because it's almost-affordable and who wouldn't take the chance to visit Portland anyway??

was Devolution perma'd??? I always really liked her. :(

Pau

Thanks ladies (and gent!) :3 I just needed to rant... I'm gonna try talking to the other girls about it one on one. The last time we asked, it was in a group setting so yeah, it might be more productive like this. I talked to the president and he agrees with me and is pretty good about trying to keep things welcoming to everyone. I'm VP, so it's not like I don't have any authority, it's just like... if this is the kind of environment every other member in the club wants, then maybe I'm the one that shouldn't be there?

The president talked about it openly in the chat and some other people called 'em out on it, but none of the other female members have said anything. The people making the jokes haven't responded either so we'll see what happens.

And lil, congratulations! Even if you don't take the scholarship, it's always nice having it offered! :D I wish art school wasn't so expensive and everyone could just go where it made more sense...

Grimalkin

Hey ladies,

My mom has asked me if I will make some chemo caps for an 8 year old girl with cancer. I said yes immediately but I honestly have no idea what an 8 year old girl would want in a hat. I don't really remember being 8. So if anyone has suggestions I'd like to hear them. Knit or crochet is fine and it's also fine if it's a paid pattern (as in, I will purchase the pattern if you find it on Etsy or Ravelry).

I mean, is this appropriate for an 8 year old or too young?

Hey ladies,

My mom has asked me if I will make some chemo caps for an 8 year old girl with cancer. I said yes immediately but I honestly have no idea what an 8 year old girl would want in a hat. I don't really remember being 8. So if anyone has suggestions I'd like to hear them. Knit or crochet is fine and it's also fine if it's a paid pattern (as in, I will purchase the pattern if you find it on Etsy or Ravelry).

i would love that hat if i was 8 years old! and, such a good cause to craft something for! i hope the best outcomes for the lil girl~

Pau

Hey ladies,

Does your mum know personally know the girl? Or is there a way to get in touch and asking about her interests?

At 8 I was obsessed with Pokemon, but I don't know if that's so much of a thing with kids that age nowadays. :p

Hey hey, quick question. What would you do if a good friend of yours was copying you? Like one day they just turned up with the same hair colour and style, they started wearing the same hat in exactly the same way etc. not everything all the time, just enough for you to notice?

Also completely separate topic but does anyone have any hints for getting pregnant?

Cheers!

Hey hey, quick question. What would you do if a good friend of yours was copying you? Like one day they just turned up with the same hair colour and style, they started wearing the same hat in exactly the same way etc. not everything all the time, just enough for you to notice?

Also completely separate topic but does anyone have any hints for getting pregnant?

Cheers!
There was a documentary on this on Spongebob.

Big_pink_loser.jpg

Just give this person a trophy, is what I learned.

Anastasia

For me to say that someone was copying me would imply that I was being original in the first place; I'd like to think my style is pretty unique, but it's possible the friend could have just been influenced by someone else. But if they were influenced by me I would just take it as a compliment. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

Cat

Are you going the traditional route of having sex with a partner or is this a more clinical approach where you're seeking a sperm donor?

If sex, do it when you expect to be ovulating. I aimed for a week or two before I expected my period. Once your partner has ejaculated, lay down on your back and raise your legs to let it soak in for an extra couple of minutes. I may just have fertile genes, but it took me less than a month though I did not know until around two months after trying to conceive.

I haven't read this link in full, but I went to babycenter A LOT after giving birth so it might help:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-get-pregnant-fast_10337115.bc

I don't know anything about getting a sperm donor.

Best wishes!

Are you going the traditional route of having sex with a partner or is this a more clinical approach where you're seeking a sperm donor?

If sex, do it when you expect to be ovulating. I aimed for a week or two before I expected my period. Once your partner has ejaculated, lay down on your back and raise your legs to let it soak in for an extra couple of minutes. I may just have fertile genes, but it took me less than a month though I did not know until around two months after trying to conceive.

I haven't read this link in full, but I went to babycenter A LOT after giving birth so it might help:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-get-pregnant-fast_10337115.bc

I don't know anything about getting a sperm donor.

Best wishes!

Well I wasn't expecting that question!! Traditional route. And yeah I know about ovulation dates, just wondering more if people had any advice not in the usual books.

soepje

Well I wasn't expecting that question!! Traditional route. And yeah I know about ovulation dates, just wondering more if people had any advice not in the usual books.
Just don't expect to get pregnant right away, and don't forget to have fun! It took us quite a few months before we got a hit. Also, it's smart to cut down on things like alcohol and smoking before you even find out you are pregnant b/c that raises your chances of early miscarriage. Oh, and on that note; don't fall for those super early pregnancy tests b/c it's quite common to 'miscarry' when your first upcoming period is supposed to arrive. I know some people who went crazy with such testing, it just gave them a lot of stress knowing they where expecting for a few days. I'd say it´s better not to know that early and just test when you are late with your period.

Either way, good luck you are in for a ride :D! My little boy is a little over 6 weeks now, he's such a sweety. He's making contact with us, trying to talk back and smiling. Just a few days ago he started rolling from his belly to his back already :O. It all goes so fast, but it's awesome :). Can't imagine life without him already :)

Just don't expect to get pregnant right away, and don't forget to have fun! It took us quite a few months before we got a hit. Also, it's smart to cut down on things like alcohol and smoking before you even find out you are pregnant b/c that raises your chances of early miscarriage. Oh, and on that note; don't fall for those super early pregnancy tests b/c it's quite common to 'miscarry' when your first upcoming period is supposed to arrive. I know some people who went crazy with such testing, it just gave them a lot of stress knowing they where expecting for a few days. I'd say it´s better not to know that early and just test when you are late with your period.

Either way, good luck you are in for a ride :D! My little boy is a little over 6 weeks now, he's such a sweety. He's making contact with us, trying to talk back and smiling. Just a few days ago he started rolling from his belly to his back already :O. It all goes so fast, but it's awesome :). Can't imagine life without him already :)

This is really good advice, thank you :D

Schrade

The laying on your back thing was the key for me. I was baby free for three years until I started doing that. Also, I've heard if he orgasms first, your orgasm basically 'picks up' the sperm.

I've read/seen documentaries on it that shows the contractions a woman gets while orgasming involves the cervix slamming down and basically "sucking up" the sperm.

lil

She's not banned.
Ohh cool, still though. :/
And lil, congratulations! Even if you don't take the scholarship, it's always nice having it offered! :D I wish art school wasn't so expensive and everyone could just go where it made more sense...

Thanks Pau!! <3 I wish art school was cheaper too...my art teacher and I were joking about why should it be so expensive when we're all gonna be broke when we get out? :p I'm SO SO fortunate to have MassArt though, the in-state tuition is unreal and I got the most financial aid from them, believe it or not. I'm just dreading the loans... ;___;

Pau

I can't go to train stations or bus terminals. I took a taxi back home from the station and the driver thought I was a runaway. :(

The trip was to go meet the professor I'm working under during the summer at Princeton. About three hours away by train. 15 minutes minutes before the meeting his secretary emails me canceling. I was in such a fucking great mood after that. 7 hours plus fare just wasted.

Thanks Pau!! <3 I wish art school was cheaper too...my art teacher and I were joking about why should it be so expensive when we're all gonna be broke when we get out? :p I'm SO SO fortunate to have MassArt though, the in-state tuition is unreal and I got the most financial aid from them, believe it or not. I'm just dreading the loans... ;___;
Yeah, the loan stuff is. Ugh. Keep an eye out for scholarships/fellowships throughout the years. Even if it doesn't sound like much, every little bit helps.

Grimalkin

Thanks Pau!! <3 I wish art school was cheaper too...my art teacher and I were joking about why should it be so expensive when we're all gonna be broke when we get out?

I didn't go to art school but I think my profession is semi-creative so I'll add my 2 cents. The best thing you can do while you are in college is think about what sort of career you want to have and start building towards it in your junior and senior year. Most people just drift through college and graduate with no plan at all. The job market for any professional creative job is extremely fierce. Even with all the preparation in the world sometimes you still won't make it. But without preparation and a plan you don't even stand a chance of an interview unless you get really, really lucky... or nepotism.

Which brings me to point 2, network! Network, network, network while you are in school. Cannot stress this enough, especially if you want to get into games/film/animation. These industries run on trust. Any time I or my friends are looking at a candidate we ask each other, "Do you know this person?" to try and get an idea of what they're really like as an employee. If it's for an internship position you can bet that the hiring person at the company you want to intern at is reaching out to who they know at your school to get a read on you. If you get a reputation as difficult to work with you better have the rockstar skills to back it up.

Thus ends my unasked-for advice. I just wanted to point out that yes, going for a creative field is difficult but it doesn't automatically mean you will be broke and without a job, especially if you are already talented enough to get accepted into all 5 schools.

wow bunny, i dont know if i can stay friendsies with someone like that.

but... it's like you said. it's not like there's anything wrong with anyone wanting to be a trophy wife, but i find it hard to respect people like that. i'd be hard pressed to maintain friendship with a person like this.

also, i find it distasteful for any person to lead any other person on. it's dishonest and selfish. be it about love or job prospects or anything really. last month or so one of my friends were doing extra over time on the 'allusions' that she would be granted a better shift. the month came and went and now she realised she was 'led on' to believe what was never on the table to begin with.

it is a crappy thing to do to other people.

more so in terms of love and relationships. Specially if it is like what your friend is doing.... maintain a few potential dudes at once to see which one will pan out.... ugh

>____>

I just can't respect someone like this.

Maybe bunbuns is stronger and can find a way to maintain this friendship whilst communicating to friend the problematic aspects of what she's doing. (I personally wouldnt have the patience to do so)... But as for advice, an honest-to-fuck approach would be what I would do. I would sit her down and I would tell her what my issues are with her values.

Might mean losing her as a friend though :x

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't think she's bunny's friend, just a co-worker?

But yeah she sounds insufferable. I couldn't be friends with someone like that. Shallow, vacuous, no drives and aspirations, no common sense, hypocritical, manipulative, etc etc. If she were a co-worker I'd limit my interactions with her to a courteous hello as much as possible.

Oh. I might have confused the previous friend who bunbuns was talking about with this one.... cuz of the texting and stuff .... seems a bit friendlier than just a coworker

If it is just a coworker that is outside the social sphere, i'd do what morri does. Limit interaction.

iirate

I think Morrigan has the right idea here. I've been in a similar situation before with a coworker, and I ended up making an enemy when I started to distance myself from her, but it was definitely worth it.

Lurkers that stalk GirlGAF members for materials are pathetic. Filthy stalkers. Contribute and engage in the thread / community, or gtfo >:O

Also, women's bodies - women's choices. DEAL WITH IT.

Come back soon, bunny <3

Loooool that guy.

Oh the quoted post is actually plucked from that thread instead of GG... I must have been remembering two different streams of convos at the time. My bad! (thanks zoe for the pick up :)). But still yeah.... it's gross to drop it like that after bunny's banned.

Also. It's not unknown that there ARE lurkers here. Part of the reasons why a lot of us are hesitant to post photos and personal information, really.

:x

Fuchsdh

Oh the quoted post is actually plucked from that thread instead of GG... I must have been remembering two different streams of convos at the time. My bad! (thanks zoe for the pick up :)). But still yeah.... it's gross to drop it like that after bunny's banned.

Also. It's not unknown that there ARE lurkers here. Part of the reasons why a lot of us are hesitant to post photos and personal information, really.

Hey, occasional lurker here. I don't post in a lot of communities because I don't think I have anything to offer—I read the Black Culture, GirlGAF, LGBT threads because I think it's useful to listen to people being frank in a way that people generally aren't, and whose experiences are different from my own. That's something I think is great about NeoGAF.

But you're on a public forum, and posting any personal information with the expectation it will only be seen by a few people is incredibly foolhardy. That's just common sense in the age of the internet.

I would also add from my own time lurking in general that people on GAF seem to have these very insular views of their communities and act like there's only an audience of peers, which obviously isn't true (Angelus gets banned and Black Culture GAF complains about Backslashbunny, et al.; HaloGAF got dissolved for a time because the mods thought people there were ignoring the wider GAF community.)

Leeness

Oh, no, I just recognize the poster and its unsurprising that he's still rude. One of the only people on my ignore list!

esms

Hey, occasional lurker here. I don't post in a lot of communities because I don't think I have anything to offer—I read the Black Culture, GirlGAF, LGBT threads because I think it's useful to listen to people being frank in a way that people generally aren't, and whose experiences are different from my own. That's something I think is great about NeoGAF.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. I use the community as a place to broaden my horizons. It's easy to get comfy being the majority.

Top Bottom