• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

What is being pregnant like? Maybe one day I'll find out for myself but really, it seems like such a harrowing thing. Not that it isn't worth it in the end, but the health anxiety alone would drive me mental. Worrying about what's normal what isn't, so the physical changes and complications that could impact your our your babys life.

I get anxiety when I get a cramp that doesn't go away after a few hours. I can't imagine 9 months of my body being in constant flux.

Really though. I strained my back about a month ago and thought I might have a tumor wrapped around my spine, or the I ruptured a disk. I go to worst case scenario at the drop of a hat. >.>

Tru
barbiedoll
girls have perfect maternal instincts and do not get fat over pregnancy and have smooth, teleportation type of birth where the babbie magically teleports out and then the yummy mummy's belly goes back to super flat in no time at all.

This is why pro-abortion is like murdering humenz.

Cuz the babbie forms perfectly at conception like a fully formed humenz.

Not that the two subjects can't nessissary go hand in hand - but I'd like to the topic from abortion to cooking and food preparation if I may.

I've recently developed a taste for a variety of ethnic foods from outside my comfort zone (Filipino and "American") food. Namely Middle Eastern and Chinese cooking. I want to learn how to make authentic, non-Americanized versions of a variety of dishes but I have to imagine most English sources will be geared towards American palletes.

How does one go about learning the culture, history, and techniques involved in "foreign" foods? Any good TV shows, documentaries, books?

Leeness

Hahaha got my 32E from La Senza and I gotta keep it for how valiantly it is trying hahaha. It's so ~admirable~. Putting in work.

Pau

Not that the two subjects can't nessissary go hand in hand - but I'd like to the topic from abortion to cooking and food preparation if I may.

I've recently developed a taste for a variety of ethnic foods from outside my comfort zone (Filipino and "American") food. Namely Middle Eastern and Chinese cooking. I want to learn how to make authentic, non-Americanized versions of a variety of dishes but I have to imagine most English sources will be geared towards American palletes.

How does one go about learning the culture, history, and techniques involved in "foreign" foods? Any good TV shows, documentaries, books?
I don't really have any advice except that if you can find cheap prepaid dumplings and then pan fry them yourself, they taste amazing.

I'm addicted to dumplings and it's terrible. :(

scotcheggz

Hi guys, I posted a while back about my blog/youtube channel and people didn't seem to mind if I posted links, so I just wanted to drop off a video I did and see what people thought about it since you're kind of my demographic I guess! My channel is totally new and so I'm still trying to learn everything and figure out where I'm actually going with it, refine it and such, find out what I want to focus on, but just some initial criticism would be great! Thanks, sorry for treating you all like marketing guinea pigs, I ask GAF because I trust here more than other places, I promise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Zr5Lx8cmA

I feel like I'm really torn with my channel, the only thing I know 100% is that I want it to be honest and not just a mouthpiece for product companies EVER. So many hair channels are just bad information used as a vehicle to hawk the "new best thing", I don't want that! My blog is independent focused and my channel is kind of going to reflect that. So anyway... be as harsh as you like!

Hi guys, I posted a while back about my blog/youtube channel and people didn't seem to mind if I posted links, so I just wanted to drop off a video I did and see what people thought about it since you're kind of my demographic I guess! My channel is totally new and so I'm still trying to learn everything and figure out where I'm actually going with it, refine it and such, find out what I want to focus on, but just some initial criticism would be great! Thanks, sorry for treating you all like marketing guinea pigs, I ask GAF because I trust here more than other places, I promise!

I feel like I'm really torn with my channel, the only thing I know 100% is that I want it to be honest and not just a mouthpiece for product companies EVER. So many hair channels are just bad information used as a vehicle to hawk the "new best thing", I don't want that! My blog is independent focused and my channel is kind of going to reflect that. So anyway... be as harsh as you like!

Well, just at a quick glance you look like someone I'd trust about hair matters. Your own hair is excellent, and you seem very knowledgeable. You also have a soothing voice (a big plus for video/voiced blogs). I find the mirror very distracting, though. I imagine you have it positioned that way to show the back of your own hair (or just coincidence?), but having the miscellaneous items also reflected (the comp screen or TV thing and the electronics) makes it look less professional.

Commentary-wise, I didn't watch the whole thing, but I did catch most of the premium brush section. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about brushes, so I was wondering what made it so superior, but you spent a great deal of time on the shape of the brush and the handle and ergonomic elements without giving a whole lot of detail as to why anyone should want to use it. You said you loved it, but...why? Just saying it makes everything look great is kind of vague. You did touch briefly on the tension level, curling, and bevel(?) but that was it. A bit more info on what it can actually do for you rather than what it looks like or how nice the handle is would have been better, imo.

Overall, it's a nice little video blog, but hitting some concrete practicals (maybe a round up at the end too?) as well as waxing lyrical about the prettiness of the brushes would net you more views/a repeat crowd, I think. I thought it was pretty good, regardless, so keep it up.

Ladies, datweddingthread. ahmigod.

It's pretty special.

scotcheggz

Well, just at a quick glance you look like someone I'd trust about hair matters. Your own hair is excellent, and you seem very knowledgeable. You also have a soothing voice (a big plus for video/voiced blogs). I find the mirror very distracting, though. I imagine you have it positioned that way to show the back of your own hair (or just coincidence?), but having the miscellaneous items also reflected (the comp screen or TV thing and the electronics) makes it look less professional.

Commentary-wise, I didn't watch the whole thing, but I did catch most of the premium brush section. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about brushes, so I was wondering what made it so superior, but you spent a great deal of time on the shape of the brush and the handle and ergonomic elements without giving a whole lot of detail as to why anyone should want to use it. You said you loved it, but...why? Just saying it makes everything look great is kind of vague. You did touch briefly on the tension level, curling, and bevel(?) but that was it. A bit more info on what it can actually do for you rather than what it looks like or how nice the handle is would have been better, imo.

Overall, it's a nice little video blog, but hitting some concrete practicals (maybe a round up at the end too?) as well as waxing lyrical about the prettiness of the brushes would net you more views/a repeat crowd, I think. I thought it was pretty good, regardless, so keep it up.

Wow thank you! I really appreciate this write up! The big trick is that I'm filming in my flat, which is, hmm, it's not small, but it's full of THINGS, I'm a bit a hoarder and this is one of the only walls in the flat that doesn't have artwork or books or a TV on it. This is my little home salon area so it's just a coincidence, but I did sort of think it would be the most apt place, perhaps I'll move my chair more over so the mirror doesn't reflect at all in future then! Thanks for the really great insight into what you'd want to see, it's the stuff like that which I really need to tighten up, bot totally overlook. I found a little subreddit for youtube critiques over the weekend and got grilled for my editing and over-talking, so I made a new video which I tried to make that area much tighter too, so with that and this, hopefully I can work it out a little better! Thanks again!

Oh and I cut and colour my own hair, so that's a big compliment, thanks! (Another reason the mirror is def a coincidence though, I've no idea normally what's going on in that back area!

Leeness

Ladies, datweddingthread. ahmigod.

Yep. I poked my head in when it first started, saw where it was going...

no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

Blackhead

Redarse
Trainwreck did well at the box office last weekend but I was disappointed by the film :( It's not horrible by any means though it feels like any other Apatow movie albeit with a woman cast in the usual slob lead role... I'd like to see Amy given creative control for her next big screen appearance. Other films I've made a trip to the cinema for this summer:

Mad Max: Fury Road(1) > Spy > Magic Mike XXL > Inside Out > Pitch Perfect 2 >
FF7
> Trainwreck >
AoU

Any other films with female leads and/or 'for women' to look forward to this summer season?

(1)
I wasn't remotely interested in the new Mad Max movie (since I thought for sure it'd be a typical mediocre remake/reboot/sequel Hollywood crap) until I heard it pissed off MRAs xD and I've also heard from fairly reliable sources that it's very good and surprisingly un-Hollywood-esque.

On May 30th it will be my boyfriend and I's 15th anniversary -- our first date was in on that date in 2000! We went to see Gladiator. I think to celebrate I'll go with the standard dinner-and-movie, as boring as it is, just because it fits. ^^ Might go see Mad Max, since I can't think of anything else.

NKc4uTk.jpg

Wow thank you! I really appreciate this write up! The big trick is that I'm filming in my flat, which is, hmm, it's not small, but it's full of THINGS, I'm a bit a hoarder and this is one of the only walls in the flat that doesn't have artwork or books or a TV on it. This is my little home salon area so it's just a coincidence, but I did sort of think it would be the most apt place, perhaps I'll move my chair more over so the mirror doesn't reflect at all in future then! Thanks for the really great insight into what you'd want to see, it's the stuff like that which I really need to tighten up, bot totally overlook. I found a little subreddit for youtube critiques over the weekend and got grilled for my editing and over-talking, so I made a new video which I tried to make that area much tighter too, so with that and this, hopefully I can work it out a little better! Thanks again!

Oh and I cut and colour my own hair, so that's a big compliment, thanks! (Another reason the mirror is def a coincidence though, I've no idea normally what's going on in that back area!

No prob. Mirror-wise, just a little adjustment should fix the problem, then. You could even just take down the mirror and use that blank space to throw up graphics about whatever you're discussing (those bullet points or round ups, like I mentioned). Anyway, happy I was able to help a bit on the 'what-people-want-to-see' thing. I think you're on the right track, so reddit shouldn't grill you so much next time. Just keep up the good hair. ;)

Ah H.Pro congrats on the physical release! I'll double dip after I get paid. :)

Awwwww... Digital AND the print? Thanks so much! ;_; I can't believe it's finally happening and with the comic in it to boot! Your (and everyone else's) support of the digital version is what got me there in the first place, so I really, really appreciate it. I hope you like it~ <3 <3 <3

DRhKP4o.jpg

Samara

Your hair is beautiful. It's got that sunkissed look.

I did color my hair with a ligh ash brown by Nice N easy to remove my red tint, and it turned a darker brown with hints of very subtle gold. Pretty happy with it

Grimalkin

Disclaimer: I don't know crap about hair.

I liked your videos. What I would really like to see, and I have no clue if this is even feasible or not, is you taking random people (men and woman) and walking the viewer through what sort of cut/color is best for them and why.

And for product reviews, what hair types are the products good for because a huge problem I do have is that I have super thin, fine hair and 90% of all products are too heavy/?? for my hair and it makes my hair look like a grease pit about 5 minutes after application. And not many people cover this info so I never know if I've wasted my money until I actually try it. A good example is for your brush video, my stylist told me not to use boar bristle brushes as she said it would pull my hair out, so I have a Paul Mitchell round brush with thin plastic-y bristles but it catches my hair all the time so I don't use it. :(

ALSO! Is there a big difference between salon stuff and products you can buy at the drugstore? These are the things I want to know. My stylist recommended a shampoo and conditioner set that was $54 for 2 normal sized bottles (one shampoo, one conditioner). I was like "Are you out of your mind?"

So that's what I would look for, mixed in with avant garde videos for fun.

scotcheggz

Your hair is beautiful. It's got that sunkissed look.

I did color my hair with a ligh ash brown by Nice N easy to remove my red tint, and it turned a darker brown with hints of very subtle gold. Pretty happy with it

Thanks! I'm not much of a colourist honestly, but I love that with colour, the way it interacts differently with what's already there can be really fun! I experiment all the time on myself, my current itch is to try and make a kind of gunmental platinum, but I'm not sure I actually want the colour after lol.

Disclaimer: I don't know crap about hair.

I liked your videos. What I would really like to see, and I have no clue if this is even feasible or not, is you taking random people (men and woman) and walking the viewer through what sort of cut/color is best for them and why.

And for product reviews, what hair types are the products good for because a huge problem I do have is that I have super thin, fine hair and 90% of all products are too heavy/?? for my hair and it makes my hair look like a grease pit about 5 minutes after application. And not many people cover this info so I never know if I've wasted my money until I actually try it. A good example is for your brush video, my stylist told me not to use boar bristle brushes as she said it would pull my hair out, so I have a Paul Mitchell round brush with thin plastic-y bristles but it catches my hair all the time so I don't use it. :(

ALSO! Is there a big difference between salon stuff and products you can buy at the drugstore? These are the things I want to know. My stylist recommended a shampoo and conditioner set that was $54 for 2 normal sized bottles (one shampoo, one conditioner). I was like "Are you out of your mind?"

So that's what I would look for, mixed in with avant garde videos for fun.

Thanks for this! I have a sort of lose idea from your first suggestion, where I could sort of make a weekly podcast type thing and get viewers to tweet me their pictures in the week and then I could address what might suit them or something? I dunno, that's a bit lose and needs thinking about and obviously I don't have the viewer-ship for this, but that's a really fun and exciting idea! I also dig that interaction too.. thanks!!

My hair is actually a bit like yours, it's thick but very fine and I also have trouble with products getting heavy on it. I'm lucky because I just keep it a bit shorter and scruffy and then I don't have to mess too much with anything. I tend to try and stick to anything matte and lightweight like matte texturising pastes and only use them once between washes, but with longer hair it can be really tough to find something decent huh? Your stylist is right about your boar bristle, you could use a white one that's got softer bristles, the white ibiza brush I mention is specifically made for that, but having fine hair can be so tricky sometimes!

I don't know if you actually want my answers for these questions or if you meant for a video but. I'm gonna answer and if it's really awkward then thats alright! I'm definitely not a salesman, I got sacked from a job once for this exact reason and it's also the whole thing with my channel and blog, I love hair, not selling products, so I'm truly giving my honest opinion here.. Salon stuff is better, it's not that much better for the prices they charge though. Honestly when you go through the ingredients, especially of the cheap drugstore stuff, it's not far off washing your hair with nice smelling dish soap, they want it to froth up and look like it's doing a good job, but all it's often doing is stripping your hair dry. My opinion would be to take your stylists advice on the products but don't buy them and then look on the internet for the best price. You can often find 'salon only' stuff on amazon or ebay now, it's actually a big problem for the industry and there is all these scare tactics about buying from unauthorised sellers, which are 99% nonsense, they don't want it to be available outside of the salon because they make so much money off it. So yeah, definitely good quality, probably not good value.

Anyway I might be waffling on, thanks for the feedback, really exciting and useful!

I went on a bit of a gaming splurge today. Got my hands on 5 360 games for £1 each in the bargain bin, local second hand shop was clearing out stock and I managed to buy some of the more obscure stuff! Finally replaced my stolen copies of Beautiful Katamari & Earth Defense Force 2025. A fiver for all of 'em!

7Ts3LTl.jpg

Also nabbed 5 of these Wii U games this month. ZombiU was dirt cheap, just 2 quid! And Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was criminally cheap at a fiver. Wonderful 101 was £13, Yoshi Wooly World with the green yarn yoshi amiibo was £50, and Splatoon was £15. So £85 altogether for the Wii U games, well within my luxuries budget for the month. Got 19 Wii U games now!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dragon's Dogma for 1 pound? That's quite the steal. Too bad you're on 360, or I'd totally lend you my awesome pawns. :)

Let me know if you want to coop in MH3U some time. I haven't touched it in quite a while. I wonder if people are still playing or if they all moved to MH4... (still waiting for a Wii U port of this, I can't stand handhelds. :( )

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thats quite a nice selection of games! Look up Saur's The Wonderful 101 videos on youtube if you're having trouble understanding the combo system there it was VERY helpful to me and my rankings. Also if I see you online I'll Splat ya. :D

I'm curious about MH since it seems like something I'd like but I played a bit on my 3DS and I gave up since the controls were awful.

Great selection and out of those titles I only don't have Dragons Dogma and ZombiU.

You should totes get ZombiU now, shops these days have a surplus of stock and people aren't snapping it up when they're selling it for rock bottom prices, bit of shame really. It's one of the few "true" horror games of the current gen, played a fair bit of my ex-boyfriends copy, back when he...well, wasn't my ex-boyfriend.

He was the prick I mentioned who swiped Katamari and EDF by the way. Just before he moved out. Complete and utter bellend.

Let me know if you want to coop in MH3U some time. I haven't touched it in quite a while. I wonder if people are still playing or if they all moved to MH4... (still waiting for a Wii U port of this, I can't stand handhelds. :( )

I might do, got to start all over again from my own Wii U though. Yet another pre-break up game I played a fair bit.

Also if I see you online I'll Splat ya. :D

Not all over my face, it's a bitch to wash out of my hair!

Kinda addicted to Splatoon at the moment, roller is godlike, manage to top team scoreboards with that monster. During the European splatfest a few days ago, I just went idle in the plaza and listened to the music. Catchy as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1vw3ATzNxQ

Squid Sisters are rad as fuck too.

I'm curious about MH since it seems like something I'd like but I played a bit on my 3DS and I gave up since the controls were awful.

I've played MH on 3DS before and this version controls much better with the gamepad. Love the way you can display different stuff on different screens too, kinda like the handheld games. Also helps being able to actually SEE the action properly on a big screen, even though the shitty textures kinda become obvious on a tele.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Don't write it off! I tried the demo on the 3DS and it was utter dogshit. Having a second analog stick on the Wii U gamepad to control the camera makes all the difference, and the bigger screen is much nicer overall anyway.

The shitty textures don't bother me at all. I actually kinda like the graphics, the skyboxes are very pretty, especially at night.

someday

Banned
Splatoon is so much fun. My sister got me playing it and we have a blast! The only problem is when we team up we don't always end up on the same team. I love taking her out but more often than not, it's her killing me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I generally shave often in the summer, but I've worn shorts or capris with unshaven legs outside many times and nothing happened. Maybe people whispered behind my backs, but I guess Canadians are too polite to say anything? Or more likely no one noticed because who'd be checking out my legs anyway. :p

I'm pretty fastidious about hair removal. More than anything, just because I like feeling smooth. I'm not as on top of it during the winter time because I can just throw on some yoga/pj pants before bed. I hate the feeling of unsmooth legs rubbing together. shudder

Zoe

Shaving is a comfort thing for me. I don't care what others think.

I really want to laser my legs one of these days, but I'm in the sun too much :(

Shaving is a comfort thing for me. I don't care what others think.

I really want to laser my legs one of these days, but I'm in the sun too much :(

same here, but only in the sense that smooth legs feel nice. My hair is blonde so it probably wouldn't be noticeable but even after 1 or 2 days without shaving it's just so unbearably scratchy and geh. I don't think I've gone more than a couple of days without shaving since mid high school.

Cat

I shave my armpits every few days because the hair starts to irritate me when it gets too long. Since I started working from home, I wear sleeveless shirts and dresses so much more so that now when I do wear something that covers my armpits, it's especially bothersome if I haven't shaved in awhile.

Up until this past Saturday, I hadn't shaved my legs in like a year. My cousin invited me to her community pool. They weren't that hairy, but it was enough to notice. But I also didn't put too much effort into it.

My mom has never had to shave her legs, so lucky.

iirate

Freshly shaven legs feel so good, but it's a pain and I mostly wear jeans anyways, so I usually don't bother. If I will be showing any skin, I still shave.

I shave my armpits regularly. They're easier than legs and it makes me feel more comfortable.

lil

I wear shorts everyday and only shave my legs every few weeks or so. There's no one here I'm trying to impress and no one comments on it anyway.

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone here have any experience with Lunar Tides hair coloring? I'm thinking of ordering some smokey mauve hair dye and some hair chalk cream.

I went on a bit of a gaming splurge today. Got my hands on 5 360 games for £1 each in the bargain bin, local second hand shop was clearing out stock and I managed to buy some of the more obscure stuff! Finally replaced my stolen copies of Beautiful Katamari & Earth Defense Force 2025. A fiver for all of 'em!

7Ts3LTl.jpg

Also nabbed 5 of these Wii U games this month. ZombiU was dirt cheap, just 2 quid! And Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was criminally cheap at a fiver. Wonderful 101 was £13, Yoshi Wooly World with the green yarn yoshi amiibo was £50, and Splatoon was £15. So £85 altogether for the Wii U games, well within my luxuries budget for the month. Got 19 Wii U games now!

Great pick ups!

I'm tomboyish as fuck and I love pink! Not as the dominant or sole colour of something like the stereotypical "girly" use of pink throughout the last few decades. So much stuff has pink plastered all over without any care or thought and it looks guady as fuck, especially when it comes to clothing and fashion. I love it when it's used as a foreground or background colour to help accentuate something else, when it's used right! Metal album artwork has done a surprisingly good job at using pink over the last few decades. Can be a pretty brutal colour when used effectively.

But yeah, fuck the overuse of pink in tat like girls toys, and high street fashion though. It's almost always garish as fuck and unpleasent on the eye.

Nudull

Banned
I enjoyed it thoroughly, regardless.

Hey, H. Pro! Congrats on getting your work out, by the way. ^_^

Not going to lie, that comment about "you ladies" and our relationships (???????) was a little cringe-worthy. I almost feel bad for the poster when I saw that. It seems like they have some self-esteem issues, especially about relationships (projecting their own failed relationships on others and blaming external factors). TBH that guy reminds me of someone right out of theredpill... especially the way he (she?) was so insistent on being taken so seriously.

I'm not sure what world that person lives in, especially with the "you're a girl so people listen to you more on the internet!" Did I miss all the threads when that happens? I distinctly remember many, many threads about "girls" in which, any time a chick chipped in, was met with "but I, as a man, would like to tell you why you're wrong."

Insecurity is a hell of a drug.

Top Bottom