• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Best thing to do is write a list of what you want out of life and then find someone who has a list of their own. Sounds a bit unromantic, but it gets things moving, that's for sure. :)

I hated the dating scene and what a crap shoot it was. Most guys have the time to just take things casually, and that's their prerogative, but man it makes it hard for those that want proper relationships. I do think online dating (not Tinder) has helped a lot in that regard to weed out those looking for a bit of casual fun, but it's still tough. Good luck, ladies!

There's always Mr. Merlot or Ms. Chardonnay~ :D
someone linked me your post about the garbage can date guy. I was a bit relieved even happily married people went through similar crap like I did before they found the one :D but still glad that this kind of shit is over for you now. :3

--
btw: I got a super cheap mascara from u.m.a and it's the fucking tits. highly recommended. it's the one in a yellow tube

Hi, I hope you guys don't mind me butting in. I'm hoping to get some thoughts on opinions on something.

I'm a Chinese American who was born in China but raised in New York. Now after 25 years, I'm back in China working (I'm typing this from work actually). My dating life back in NY is very mundane. Yet now that I'm in China, I figured I'd try online dating. Besides being culture shocked, I also feel really empty and bored with the girls there. I just can't connect with any of these girls. I got this girl who says she fell in love with me after finding out I live in a foreign country. WTF? It's not like I live in the farms, I'm in a big rich Chinese city. I've met several girls face to face, but at the end of the day, I couldn't feel more apathetic towards them. I only met them just to say I did.

You guys think I should continue to meet the girls after the first date even if there's no spark to give it a chance, or am I doing the right thing to bail after the first meeting? Did any of you continue to see a guy after a first date even though you felt nothing? My dates weren't disasters by any means, but I feel like I was just going through the motions.

i usually recommend at least 3 tries. good luck u.

-

on another note, i bought my first eyeliner and it was the pencil type and it didnt do anything so now im using it as an art supply : D

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

Hi, I hope you guys don't mind me butting in. I'm hoping to get some thoughts on opinions on something.

I'm a Chinese American who was born in China but raised in New York. Now after 25 years, I'm back in China working (I'm typing this from work actually). My dating life back in NY is very mundane. Yet now that I'm in China, I figured I'd try online dating. Besides being culture shocked, I also feel really empty and bored with the girls there. I just can't connect with any of these girls. I got this girl who says she fell in love with me after finding out I live in a foreign country. WTF? It's not like I live in the farms, I'm in a big rich Chinese city. I've met several girls face to face, but at the end of the day, I couldn't feel more apathetic towards them. I only met them just to say I did.

You guys think I should continue to meet the girls after the first date even if there's no spark to give it a chance, or am I doing the right thing to bail after the first meeting? Did any of you continue to see a guy after a first date even though you felt nothing? My dates weren't disasters by any means, but I feel like I was just going through the motions.

I mean I don't think you can really know someone after just one date. It takes time to know if there's something there. Give it some time.

i usually recommend at least 3 tries. good luck u.

-

on another note, i bought my first eyeliner and it was the pencil type and it didnt do anything so now im using it as an art supply : D

WHEEEEEEEEEEE

I miss your drawings they were so good

Bruh, Uniqlo's stretchy yoga jean pants in black are the fucking best. Literally wore them at work and at home all the time. That paired with forever21 $4 tights = ����

Look into yoga jeans.

They will break necks.

These are my personal fave faves:

51U7whF6LEL._UX466_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0163JSXGE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've read about them! Which do you prefer? I'd love to get a pair, but only if it comes recommended.

I missed this post.

Rekucci.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016X130MY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Rekucci has a lot of different types of sexy dress pants, but I prefer the straight leg look for whatever reason?

My favorite is the khaki (oatmeal) one but at work I have to wear that black one.

That khaki one is amaze. See if they have one in your size. I'm really lucky here.

61ji2DvQsvL._UY500_.jpg

Imagine the khaki kind with this top:

51q0OCpiS-L._UX679_.jpg

Since summer time is around the corner that means summer clothes.

l4lWo7l.gif

Instead of buying a lot in bulk, I like to limit my purchases to 5 per season or else I'd go insane and try to buy everything.

These days I try to mostly buy from black owned businesses via Etsy. It's more expensive, so I have be choosy.

This is what I'm getting this season.

1. Dashiki

x8zgCUI.jpg

2. African wax print high waist blue shorts with pockets

il_570xN.802439447_3xyi.jpg

3. African print dress

Q6c0wBc.jpg

4. Metallic Liquid Gold Body Suit

il_570xN.933348345_b104.jpg

but I want this one more:

8GTmCww.png

5. Zenana Women's Cold Shoulder Long Sleeve Top (in white, not charcoal)

61VxdaPfL9L._UY606_.jpg

Extra:

New Chuck's

hFglndo.jpg

Clarks Collection Women's Helio Float Wedge Open-Toe Sandals

lcy9PVh.jpg

Ghana strawhat

Clothing_Straw_Hat_Ghana_1_900-300x270.jpg

The eyeliner held all day and throughout the night, even after fooling around with bae, it was still sharp and solid. No cracking either!

Best part is it wipes off easily + cleanly without smearing much that normally leads to that terrible raccoon eye mess :>

Also, if anyone uses makeup wipes, Milk brand makeup wipes are fucking god tier. My skin feels amazing after using them ~

Kimaka

Since summer time is around the corner that means summer clothes.

l4lWo7l.gif

Instead of buying a lot in bulk, I like to limit my purchases to 5 per season or else I'd go insane and try to buy everything.

These days I try to mostly buy from black owned businesses via Etsy. It's more expensive, so I have be choosy.

This is what I'm getting this season.

1. Dashiki

http://i.imgur.com/x8zgCUI.jpg?1

2. African wax print high waist blue shorts with pockets

https://img1.etsystatic.com/064/0/8212529/il_570xN.802439447_3xyi.jpg

3. African print dress

Q6c0wBc.jpg

4. Metallic Liquid Gold Body Suit

https://img1.etsystatic.com/113/0/12625847/il_570xN.933348345_b104.jpg

but I want this one more:

http://i.imgur.com/8GTmCww.png

5. Zenana Women's Cold Shoulder Long Sleeve Top (in white, not charcoal)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61VxdaPfL9L._UY606_.jpg

Extra:

New Chuck's

http://i.imgur.com/hFglndo.jpg

Clarks Collection Women's Helio Float Wedge Open-Toe Sandals

http://i.imgur.com/lcy9PVh.jpg

Ghana strawhat

http://www.africantreasures.com/wp-content/uploads/Clothing_Straw_Hat_Ghana_1_900-300x270.jpg

That African print dress is cute as hell. I still need to wear the dress that I bought last year before thinking about getting another.

Swamped

Banned
GirlGAF-

How many of y'all took your husband's name when you got married?

I'm not because I'm in academia and I don't want people to get confused when they search for my articles
so optimistically thinking that people want to read about my research lol

Also, I just really like the way my name sounds as is. I would feel like a totally different person with my fiance's last name instead.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just wondering, why is that? Is it out of convenience or is it because it's a tradition based on patriarchal and outdated ideas of ownership?
Yes, that's certainly a major reason. Plus, there is just no need for me to do that, and it would be inconvenient having to change my name on all paperworks.
Do you feel like it wouldn't change the dynamic of your relationship if the two of you "share" the same family name and are your own family unit?
Yeah I don't see what it would change in terms of our relationship or family unit (tax wise we're already a family unit anyway :p common law spouses).

And well it's an utterly antiquated and now-useless idea, rooted in horribly sexist traditions.

I also couldn't care less if people think we're living in sin. Hell I prefer it that way. Fuck marriage. :D

I'm not because I'm in academia and I don't want people to get confused when they search for my articles
so optimistically thinking that people want to read about my research lol

Also, I just really like the way my name sounds as is. I would feel like a totally different person with my fiance's last name instead.

Well you could change the name and still write your papers in your maiden name.

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
My wife just hyphenated her name.

It was more about our son. We swore off marriage for years but our child had my last name.

Just wondering, why is that? Is it out of convenience or is it because it's a tradition based on patriarchal and outdated ideas of ownership? Do you feel like it wouldn't change the dynamic of your relationship if the two of you "share" the same family name and are your own family unit?

Same question - why is that? In your case, mostly wondering how you feel about going through the lengthy and annoying process of changing your name on EVERYTHING - bank accounts, SSN, passport, ID cards, mortgages, credit cards, investment accounts, loans... and even losing your professional reputation, etc. What would be the point of taking your husband's name, for you?

Yeah, makes sense if you're in academia. My bestie is too, so she'd not changing hers since she's already published under her maiden name.

Do you worry about people thinking you're unmarried? Maybe it's a bigger problem for me, but in my social circle it's viewed sort of poorly if you live with a guy and don't marry him, and I'm kinda worried that some people will look askance if they think my husband and I are just two unmarried folks running around living in sin. lol. I care about that stuff to a certain degree, far more than I think should be ideally be important (which is not at all) but meh. Societal obligations and all.

I know my responses sound loaded but I'm trying to see the positives/negatives :(. I want to change my last name but I also like it so I'm wondering what reasons y'all have for your thoughts.

No, I think it's patriarchal but I'm also of the mind that if I love someone, I'd like to bond our names. I'm a romantic like that. I did say I wouldn't mind it, not minding doesn't exactly mean prefer. My preference would be a hyphenated version that includes both names. I think those are really sweet because they allow me a compromise and allows me to maintain my last name while also having his in a shared and mutual bonding.

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, I was reading through the thread since I posted something the other day..

I see you guys talking about dating woes..
Ive really went over this and have dated quite a lot and have a unique perspective (married/dating same woman from 20-35, dating for the last year)

Id love to give my opinion of a guy wanting a relationship...but I dont want to offend anyone. I feel you guys are blaming the guys for the problem but I think I have a unique insight to what Ive seen..I mean, if ya want my opinion.

Sorry, I was reading through the thread since I posted something the other day..

I see you guys talking about dating woes..
Ive really went over this and have dated quite a lot and have a unique perspective (married/dating same woman from 20-35, dating for the last year)

Id love to give my opinion of a guy wanting a relationship...but I dont want to offend anyone. I feel you guys are blaming the guys for the problem but I think I have a unique insight to what Ive seen..I mean, if ya want my opinion.

lf1GH0a.jpg

If we're at fault tell us how we are. This isn't a special advice newspaper column. You aren't special. If you have an opinion expeess it. We shouldn't have to ask you for what you think.

Misha

Banned
I've been wondering about that and I've thought it would be really cool to come up with a new name for when you get married. So like the name refers to the new family you made.

seems like the most ideal solution at least if you're thinking about kids (and aren't worried about societal expectations and your current name doesn't have too much value to you)

I'm way far away off that I have no idea if ill think the same way at that point though

Swamped

Banned
Yeah, makes sense if you're in academia. My bestie is too, so she'd not changing hers since she's already published under her maiden name.

Do you worry about people thinking you're unmarried?

I don't worry about this. It's very easy to just tell people we are indeed married if they somehow misunderstand. Plus we will both wear our wedding rings. I understand where you are coming from regarding societal pressures though. I guess I notice it from the opposite direction. Among my social circle here (California) nobody took their husband's name. I wonder if people here make assumptions about a women who does...

Kind of off-topic but I believe California is one of the only states that legally allows the husband to take the wife's name! Isn't that wonderful!

Well you could change the name and still write your papers in your maiden name.

Meh I guess. But then I'd have too many names and I would confuse myself. Would rather just have one name that I know for sure. And I'd rather that was the name I was given at birth. I'm a simple person XD

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
What Ive seen and what is killing me from finding a relationship..

Dating is expensive..once it gets serious it adds up. I'm financially capable to enjoy nice things, that adds up when your paying for two and while some of you may say you'll pay half or what not I heard many a story of from dates on how "cheap guys" turned them off. One girl told me how a guy went to the bar and came back with just a drink for him, she automatically dropped him. I was expected, being well off, to provide weekly, on a low average $300 in food/entertainment.

We are expected to do things while we dont expect anything back. I heard a story about dropping a guy they had just started seeing over not helping them move, help fix something they hinted at was broke, even not picking her and her GF up from a bar at 2am when they were drunk. Most you'll hear a guy wanting is sex, maybe a nice home cooked meal, but we are to be on call..be it just to listen (dont offer advice! You just want someone to listen!)

Sex is basically "easy" it seems now. I swear to god once 50 Shades of Grey came out it went from easy to obtain sex to easy to obtain "imma let my freak flag fly" sex.
On average 8 out of 10 of the dates I would set up I didnt have to do much to have someone trying to get in my pants...unless I dated them..once I decided to date them all the freaky "random" sex goes and freaky shit goes bye bye. But being mildly cute, financially well off, and some what able to hold a conversation meant I was guaranteed some type of orgasm inducing action by the end of the night..but this honestly made me think "wonder who else she did this with..ewwwwww"
My current GF of 8 months..I met up with after a concert. She drove my drunk ass home, which I dont remember, and we had sex (so she says, it was the Johnny Walker tent that did me in)
Second "date" was sex in my car under a bridge...now tho I got told last Sat "its only 9pm, its to early for sex!"
It becomes a hostage situation. Sex is litteraly a hostage situation and we become negotiators. So many nights, going good, little drunk, hoping to end it with some sex (like the good old days!) Then BAM! pussy catches a bullet between the eyes cause of something we did 3 months ago you remembered and we lie away in bed staring at the ceiling, with a boner and drunk.

Social media. A large majority of women, even over 30, will date you yet still cling to the validation of social media. It gets frustrating having the weekly selfie get 50 likes from dudes and some under handed comments.
And for the love of god, stay off your phones at dinner. And dont tweet the dates discussions, mishaps, etc..

We are adored, treating like kings, fawned over...till we make it official. Once the official title hits "BOOM" We get tested, subjugated, castrated...we go from "daddy" to "if you wanted a weak woman, you picked the wrong girl!"
Its easier the first couple of dates and sex, when we dont hear about how we smell like a cigar we had earlier or how rubbing up against you in the kitchen makes up seem like a horny 15 year old.

After date 1 or 2...stop talking about your ex's!! And please please stop telling me how surprising it was that the bartender or doorman at the club played you out over the course of 6 months. You may the 1% that finds love at the club or bar but the other 99% have us thinking in our heads "damn, she fell for that game?!" If you think that hook-up or relationship was dumb on your part, keep that shit to yourself cause we will judge the shit out of you.
And your promiscuity isnt funny to us. I know, I know, women have taken their sexuality back..but we, as men, use sex to judge. Like it or not social constructs have drilled that into our heads.

This is just my insight in about 1-2 years back on "the market". Being mid-30's, financially well off, and Ive been told attractive.
Ive had pick of the litter and hundreds of dates and a good amount of casual sex..but a 1 month relationship, a 3 month relation ship and currently 7/8 months have all had me pulling me hair out. I could go back on Tinder, Bumble, Match and have casual date/sex a week but Im a hopeless romantic.
My current GF has done most of the shit above even but shes fucking adorable and witty and I eat shit every day from her as expected, but I love her and blow through money, time, gas, and mental stability cause thats how a man loves.
The reality of the situation is a woman will never love a man as strong as he loves her, if he really does. We endless search for the one who comes close and eternally have to fight for a womans love and indugle it via deeds, gifts, security etc..

We dont change...we are big dumb animals. But in a relationship, women and the dynamics change.

Oooof...... That post was something. Lemme not dip into that pool of nonsense.

Lemme just say off topic of that whole thing,

I forgot to take my birth control pill last night and took two today with my lunch and holy fuck I feel nauseous as shit. Took a nap and just woke up and my tummy is still all gross :( damn hormones.

Nudull

Banned
Yes, that's certainly a major reason. Plus, there is just no need for me to do that, and it would be inconvenient having to change my name on all paperworks.

Yeah I don't see what it would change in terms of our relationship or family unit (tax wise we're already a family unit anyway :p common law spouses).

And well it's an utterly antiquated and now-useless idea, rooted in horribly sexist traditions.

I also couldn't care less if people think we're living in sin. Hell I prefer it that way. Fuck marriage. :D

More power to ya, Morrigan, and pretty true. :) *nodnod*

Personally, I wouldn't change my name if I do end up married (for the same reasons you and others mentioned), but marriage is so far down on the list of things I want to do with my life right now. XD

Terrorblot

GirlGAF-

How many of y'all took your husband's name when you got married?

If I ever get married I think just hyphenating is a good way to go. The whole thing is definitely patriarchal but on the other hand I'm reminded of how my mother kept my fathers last name when they divorced, because she didn't want to have a different last name than her kids. I don't know if I'd ever have kids (I'd have to adopt) but I kind of like that idea and the hyphen seems like a fair enough compromise.

Then again I'm also trans so lulz gender confirming, etc, etc.

I'm not changing my name. I think it's kind of a stupid tradition and it bothers me that it's the norm for one person to assume ownership of the other. I hate it. No thanks.

I'd hyphenate, but I would expect them to do the same. It's only fair.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The problem with hyphenation, when it comes to having kids (not simply your own/your spouse's name), is that it can only last for a single generation shift. When your kids' last name is hyphenated, and they marry someone whose name is also hyphenated.... what are the grandkids gonna be called? :p

I've been wondering about that and I've thought it would be really cool to come up with a new name for when you get married. So like the name refers to the new family you made.

seems like the most ideal solution at least if you're thinking about kids (and aren't worried about societal expectations and your current name doesn't have too much value to you)
Yeah that'd be pretty cool. It'd mess up ease of tracking "bloodlines" I guess, though, which is something a lot of people value, but then again, bloodlines are almost always traced from the father's line anyway, whereas the maternal ancestry is all but forgotten.

Nudull

Banned
The problem with hyphenation, when it comes to having kids (not simply your own/your spouse's name), is that it can only last for a single generation shift. When your kids' last name is hyphenated, and they marry someone whose name is also hyphenated.... what are the grandkids gonna be called? :p

Now I'm wondering if anyone ever attempted to make a generational conga line of hyphenated surnames. :p

Misha

Banned

Yeah that'd be pretty cool. It'd mess up ease of tracking "bloodlines" I guess, though, which is something a lot of people value, but then again, bloodlines are almost always traced from the father's line anyway, whereas the maternal ancestry is all but forgotten.

Yup. My parents make a big deal about the male members of the family carrying the family name and it just makes me want to go against that tradition as much as possible.

Very little of your bloodline has the same last name as you anyway so its not like that matters much (50% at grandparent's level, 25% at great grandparents level, etc)

I have an extremely generic hispanic last name but my boyfriend has pretty german-oriented last name. If we ever got hitched, id probably take his last name but mostly because of its aesthetic >.>

Have y'all heard about people who combine last names? So if your last name is Patel and his name is Matthews, you can combine it into Mattel or Pathels or something. I think it's cute. I have a gay friend who did that with his husband when they got married and I think it's adorable.

I'm not changing my name. I think it's kind of a stupid tradition and it bothers me that it's the norm for one person to assume ownership of the other. I hate it. No thanks.

I'd hyphenate, but I would expect them to do the same. It's only fair.

mother of dragonz speaketh my feels

and wth did i just see mansplainin in our sacred girlgaf grounds. >___>;;;;;;;;

oooh, yoga jeans * ____ *

Top Bottom