• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Nudull

Banned
It's times like these I feel lucky that I can find cute, comfy bras at conventional locations. Online shopping so often results in ill-fitting goods, I'm largely scared off of it.

That's kind of what keeps me from buying clothes online, as well. I'd rather be hands-on, since I've been burned by ill-fitting stuff before.

Scully

Neo Member
I want to try: http://wellfitting.com because they look really nice and I've heard good things.

Ooh, those look gorgeous! Love that jade demi cup bra!

Brastop is excellent, I ordered practically every bra from them back when I was 30GG. Fast delivery and good prices, especially when the stuff goes on sale. I got several nice bras from them for like £12.

That sounds good. They seem to carry a lot of the styles I'm interested in too... maybe I should just try them out next.

It's times like these I feel lucky that I can find cute, comfy bras at conventional locations. Online shopping so often results in ill-fitting goods, I'm largely scared off of it.

Yup, ordering online feels always like a huge gamble and I hate returning ill-fitting bras back to the store. Doing pre-purchase research on stuff is also soo time consuming -____-

Zaphrynn

Man, I used to live in NYC then moved to a tiny city. My clothes shopping dropped dramatically. They didn't even have a Target ;-; I hate buying clothes online unless I already own something from the brand or can get free returns.

I moved to Raleigh this month, and it's been exciting actually having a variety of shops to go to again.

Honestly, last week, I wore sports bras all week. Sometimes I just don't feel like fucking with straps.

Haha I'm unemployed waiting for school to start, so I've been like "fuck it" and haven't even been bothering with bras unless I really need to. I feel spoiled or something.

Man, I used to live in NYC then moved to a tiny city. My clothes shopping dropped dramatically. They didn't even have a Target ;-; I hate buying clothes online unless I already own something from the brand or can get free returns.

I moved to Raleigh this month, and it's been exciting actually having a variety of shops to go to again.

Oh, yeah. I don't live in a huge city, but there are three huge shopping malls within a few miles of my home. It's part of why I never want to move anywhere else.

There have been times when the sizing on clothes online was so ambiguous I just saved myself the trouble and ordered items in two different sizes.

Ekai

I need more bras, only buy from Amazon currently. I want cute stuff! < . >

So thanks to everyone else for giving me ideas of other places to check out too.

Anyway, enough livejournaling. Thanks again for letting me vent here. I won't go on and on about it anymore, but it means a lot to me that you're all so supportive and listen. Hugs all around!

Feel free to anytime. ^.^ I'm cool with listening at least.
*huggles*

suzu

All the bras I own are from Aerie since I had an employee discount. They all fell apart one way or another unfortunately. They'll be held together by mediocre sewing till I get new ones

I do the same thing.. haha. I bought two random sale bras from aerie recently. $14 each woo~

Ekai

Getting my HRT in today/tomorrow so bra discussion is helpful! What would be a good starter?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD4BI26/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This one seems to be a good starter. I went with the sky/lav coloring myself. It helps with sizing difficulties and is comfy enough for the job. Especially considering anything you were to buy would likely not be a solid choice to wear within a year or two or so.

It's not cute but it works.
Just my opinion.

Media

All the best to you, timetokill.

On the topic of bras, I totally suck at them and always have. I can never find one that fits right, and I can't even spend $50 on shoes or jeans, much less a bra. I don't make my own money, so I have to clear purchases with the hubby anyhow lol. That would not be happening.

So I basically just buy walmart bras, find one that sorta fits, wear the living shit out of it, and eventually buy another lol

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I have a hard time finding good bras. I wear mostly sports bras or cute ones from Frederick's. Expensive af though.

I tried to get some cheap ones from Lane Bryant, but the women there were incredibly rude to me.

gaiages

Banned
I dunno what it is about my size (38D) that seems to be *just outside* the realm of department store bra buying, but it is lol. I used to be a C but then I got fatter and just used the C bras until they started falling apart :p I find most of my wired bras just don't last past a year, and since I shell out 10-15 a pop, it can be annoying.

Thanks yall for the suggestions! I have a lot to look at now :3

Ceallach

I do some rough stuff with lots of tackles and throws and slams, and this is the first time this has happened. I wear a sports bra while doing it.
Yeah, I practice MT and BJJ, but have never experienced boob peeling from it, only from running and sunburns. I mean you could go see a dermatologist if it doesn't get better.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hope you can get that sorted out Cindi! Wondering if I should start taking martial arts again I haven't done it since high school and I just sit at my PC and play games most of the time anyways. Some more work out besides jogging in the morning could be good.

Hope you can get that sorted out Cindi! Wondering if I should start taking martial arts again I haven't done it since high school and I just sit at my PC and play games most of the time anyways. Some more work out besides jogging in the morning could be good.

martial arts are the best. so much fun. unfortunately it's kinda expensive here ;(

did you maybe sweat a bit more? may also be irritated by this

Yeah, I practice MT and BJJ, but have never experienced boob peeling from it, only from running and sunburns. I mean you could go see a dermatologist if it doesn't get better.

I did sweat more than usual...and I do feel a bit dehydrated now. Thankfully I don't work today. So I'll just do some R&R (aka use my foot massager and play Pokemon) and have an inside day. I just put on extra lotion and I'm drinking extra water for now.

How long have you been doing martial arts, Ceallach? I did Muay for two years and currently do BJJ.

InfiniteNine - martial arts are great and I will not ever tell someone to not pursue it. Go for it!

Thanks for the well wishes and tips, everyone.

What's on the menu for everyone today? Any big plans? Tell us when you get your hormones, Nine!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
martial arts are the best. so much fun. unfortunately it's kinda expensive here ;(

Yeah, only reason I know some martial arts is because my friend whose dad runs a dojo was trying to get a MA club started at school and was using me as his test student before that was taking free Karate classes in middle school. It was pretty satisfying but I'm not sure how much it'd go for in Austin. I don't exactly have huge amounts of expendable money and this city has slowly been getting more expensive so hoping there are cheap options here somewhere.

InfiniteNine - martial arts are great and I will not ever tell someone to not pursue it. Go for it!

What's on the menu for everyone today? Any big plans? Tell us when you get your hormones, Nine!

I'm definitely going to look into it! I had fun doing it when I was younger so going back to it would be nice.

I'll let you girls know when I get them! I was supposed to get them on Monday and rescheduled delivery for yesterday after they pretended to come to my door and no one showed up both times.
If nothing happens today I'm calling USPS and see what the hell they're doing. I'm not going to start taking them right away since there are some financial things I should take care of beforehand but it was supposed to be a happy day. >;

Ceallach

I did sweat more than usual...and I do feel a bit dehydrated now. Thankfully I don't work today. So I'll just do some R&R (aka use my foot massager and play Pokemon) and have an inside day. I just put on extra lotion and I'm drinking extra water for now.

How long have you been doing martial arts, Ceallach? I did Muay for two years and currently do BJJ.

I've been practicing forms of martial arts for like 10 years, at least if you count MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial ARTS Program), Muay Thai I have been practicing since 2007, BJJ since 2011. But I'm only a purple belt because I have had loooong breaks.

:( I hope you can do it when it's more financially viable. At least look around though. It depends on the art and locale.

Yeah, only reason I know some martial arts is because my friend whose dad runs a dojo was trying to get a MA club started at school and was using me as his test student before that was taking free Karate classes in middle school. It was pretty satisfying but I'm not sure how much it'd go for in Austin. I don't exactly have huge amounts of expendable money and this city has slowly been getting more expensive so hoping there are cheap options here somewhere.

Depends on the type of MA you're after. If it's something more common art you might be able to swing it for 100 a month. I've seen Shaolin Kung Fu places start at 90. If it's a really popular MA like BJJ you'll really have to research and visit different schools and look at different price ranges because it can range from okay (100) to expensive (160).

I'm definitely going to look into it!

I'll let you girls know when I get them! I was supposed to get them on Monday and rescheduled delivery for yesterday after they pretended to come to my door and no one showed up both times.
If nothing happens today I'm calling USPS and see what the hell they're doing. I'm not going to start taking them right away since there are some financial things I should take care of beforehand but it was supposed to be a happy day. >;

Treat yourself when they come and make it a special day!

I've been practicing forms of martial arts for like 10 years, at least if you count MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial ARTS Program), Muay Thai I have been practicing since 2007, BJJ since 2011. But I'm only a purple belt because I have had loooong breaks.

MCMAP from what I've seen looks legit.

Muay since 2007?? Wow, that's amazing. I had to quit because I'm not big on getting hit.

Purple belt in five years isn't bad to be honest. I wouldn't think of that as a bad thing at all. Your place offers both MT and BJJ? You sound like a badass.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not the typical martial art but I have been practicing kendo for a decade now. It's so much fun. Plus we have the coolest outfits.

Well, it appears I am either incredibly unpopular or I was too subtle earlier and no one noticed my hint-hint nudge-nudge, but yeah, today is my birthday. ^^ Just a family BBQ planned for now, nothing special. I did get an Ys game as a present though (Celceta), hope it's good!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Cindi Mayweather said:
Depends on the type of MA you're after. If it's something more common art you might be able to swing it for 100 a month. I've seen Shaolin Kung Fu places start at 90. If it's a really popular MA like BJJ you'll really have to research and visit different schools and look at different price ranges because it can range from okay (100) to expensive (160).
Yeah around $100 seems good so I'll hop around and see what is available since I'm not entirely sure which one I should go for since I've only done a bit of Karate and Kung Fu and unsure if I should just continue one of those.
Will do! Had a strawberry cheesecake ready for when I got it in but I should probably do a bit more and probably get myself something nice to wear.

Well, it appears I am either incredibly unpopular or I was too subtle earlier and no one noticed my hint-hint nudge-nudge, but yeah, today is my birthday. ^^ Just a family BBQ planned for now, nothing special. I did get an Ys game as a present though (Celceta), hope it's good!

Oh I was incredibly confused since I couldn't work out what it was referring too. lol
Happy B-Day Morrigan. \o/ (I could go for family-made barbecue!)

Nudull

Banned
I briefly did martial arts when I was a kid, but fell out of it. I'd love to get back into it, if nothing else but for the exercise. :)

Pizza, for I am dirt poor. :p

Nah, Morrigan is cool. Also, Happy Birthday! :D

Ceallach

:( I hope you can do it when it's more financially viable. At least look around though. It depends on the art and locale.

MCMAP from what I've seen looks legit.

Muay since 2007?? Wow, that's amazing. I had to quit because I'm not big on getting hit.

Purple belt in five years isn't bad to be honest. I wouldn't think of that as a bad thing at all. Your place offers both MT and BJJ? You sound like a badass.
I trained at the Yamasaki Academy for years until I moved to VA, I now train at Global MMA. I love it, it is very cathartic. If it weren't for the Navy forcing me to do MCMAP I never would have gotten into it. I wish I had started training when I was younger

It's not the typical martial art but I have been practicing kendo for a decade now. It's so much fun. Plus we have the coolest outfits.

Nope. I love ya. I was speed reading and thought you were talking about bra band sizes because we had been talking about bras. :( Happy birthday, Morrigan. <3 Birthday bbq sounds good. Honestly, summer bdays in general sound awesome. I haven't played a new Ys game in a long time. I wouldn't say a family bbq isn't special though because who doesn't like BBQ?

When I was in high school I wanted to do kendo. It looked so cool.

Yeah around $100 seems good so I'll hop around and see what is available since I'm not entirely sure which one I should go for since I've only done a bit of Karate and Kung Fu and unsure if I should just continue one of those.

Will do! Had a strawberry cheesecake ready for when I got it in but I should probably do a bit more and probably get myself something nice to wear.

Follow your heart! When you research try not to be too swept up in "what's the best martial art?" which just makes the decision so hard. I'd say the best resource to find what may work for you is Youtube. Texas is a hotbed for martial arts schools. My friend out of state often expresses how jealous he is by the amount of options I have at my disposal. So I'm sure you can find what you want in the capitol.

As for that cheesecake...*tummy growls*

I never tried martial arts myself, but I have a cousin that teaches Capoeira.

Capoeira looks so cool but I've never seen it in the flesh. I'd really like to but don't know how.

I briefly did martial arts when I was a kid, but fell out of it. I'd love to get back into it, if nothing else but for the exercise. :)

Pizza, for I am dirt poor. :p

Nah, Morrigan is cool. Also, Happy Birthday! :D

Pizza can be expensive! :p What martial art?

I trained at the Yamasaki Academy for years until I moved to VA, I now train at Global MMA. I love it, it is very cathartic. If it weren't for the Navy forcing me to do MCMAP I never would have gotten into it. I wish I had started training when I was younger

Wow. You're definitely well trained. What did you like about MCMAP that made you look for other arts?

olympia

i did bjj for a year and a half until i realized i have to spend every minute of my free time on art

i really enjoyed it though. i met some really cool people.

i went to heroes which is run by alan "gumby" marques, a ralph gracie black belt. deffo recommended

i did bjj for a year and a half until i realized i have to spend every minute of my free time on art

i really enjoyed it though. i met some really cool people.

i went to heroes which is run by alan "gumby" marques, a ralph gracie black belt

It's tough balancing it sometimes. My art is my priority. I work nights, so I have to do BJJ in the mornings. I come into work at like 4 or 5 depending on the day, so I usually spend 3-5 hours a day doing art after I get home from the gym or BJJ. On days off, I'll normally dedicate most of the day to art, but sometimes I just take a break, which isn't good but it is what it is. My initial goal was to put in the amount of time doing art as if it's a part time job, so 20 to 30 hours a week minimum. Between that, BJJ, work, and a boyfriend I don't really have time for other stuff like tv or games. The only way I get to watch tv these days is to binge on the weekend. The only reason I've been able to play games recently is either because they're short or they're handheld games and I can play them at work. I feel like I should probably dedicate more time to art - I mean, it is my priority - but 30-50 hours a week is a good medium and I still want to have time for other stuff too.

I really respect your drive, though. I couldn't do it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Honestly I have tons of free time due to how I work so I should dedicate more time to my art before instead of playing Overwatch all day. It'd be good to find a balance between that, games, and MA when I get back into it.

olympia

happy birthday morrigan!

<music chat>

finally got a chance to do a music post after listening to this stuff

i'm digging david dondero. kind of reminds me of david shultz, an artist who released two albums and seemed to drop of the face of the earth after that. i really liked his album sinners gold. maybe you'll like it too

nana grizol is pretty cool, i'm definitely intrigued by modern science. theres a lot going on there. i've listened to those songs and i'm not even sure what to make of it, haha.

superchunk is great, I'd start with "foolish".

associated acts with kevin devine are brand new and manchester orchestra but he doesn't really sound like those. he was in this amazing band called miracle of 86 but he's gotten the most notoriety from his solo stuff or kd+the goddamn band.

he has shitload of music and the dude is an incredibly prolific and awesome songwriter. he is just about to put out is 9th lp and he has done a series of splits with musicians like jesse lacey from brand new and meridth graves from tigers' jaw, which by the way are all also great. AND he did two collaborative albums with andy hull from manchester orchestra called bad books and they are super good.

My personal favorite album is brother's blood but I like every single one of his albums. there's a lot to sink your teeth into and i think you'd really dig him.

some songs:
longer that i'm out here
cotton crush
just stay
i could be with anyone
the first hit
bubblegum

olympia, you have a great taste in music! Superchunk <3³

hey thanks!

It's tough balancing it sometimes. My art is my priority. I work nights, so I have to do BJJ in the mornings. I come into work at like 4 or 5 depending on the day, so I usually spend 3-5 hours a day doing art after I get home from the gym or BJJ. On days off, I'll normally dedicate most of the day to art, but sometimes I just take a break, which isn't good but it is what it is. My initial goal was to put in the amount of time doing art as if it's a part time job, so 20 to 30 hours a week minimum. Between that, BJJ, work, and a boyfriend I don't really have time for other stuff like tv or games. The only way I get to watch tv these days is to binge on the weekend. The only reason I've been able to play games recently is either because they're short or they're handheld games and I can play them at work. I feel like I should probably dedicate more time to art - I mean, it is my priority - but 30-50 hours a week is a good medium and I still want to have time for other stuff too.

I really respect your drive, though. I couldn't do it.

damn girl. also, thanks. i also pretty much stopped playing games as well. i watch tv only as background noise for work. so it's a lot of dialogue driven-dramas. i'm watching oz right now

i found that if i give up games and stuff though i have more "hang out" time with my friends and my boyfriend. we went to the boardwalk last night and it was blast. i still brought my sketchbook though, lol.

i'd love to go back to BJJ someday, i still have all three of my kimonos/gi/whatever. how long have you been training for?

Zaphrynn

Spent 2+ hours looking at and picking out calligraphy stuff for a painting I want to do. It started as a cursory look at brushes then I went down the rabbit hole. Can't afford the stuff yet but at least I've narrowed some things down. Might be time for a beer and a sit on the balcony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1WDAV9FQC8

Since they're late, I say you eat the current cheesecake then buy a new one.

Also I just saw this today:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257910

Your (soon to be former :( ) president is cool. I remember when I envied you guys when he had Harper. Fortunately now we have a feminist PM in Canada so they go well together. ^^

"And yes, it’s important that their dad is a feminist, because now that’s what they expect of all men."

Such an amazing president. Great article.

gaiages

Banned

Lol I saw that post then looked at the previous posts being like "did I miss something???" Happy birthday!

Ys Celceta is pretty great. Hope you enjoy it :3

damn girl. also, thanks. i also pretty much stopped playing games as well. i watch tv only as background noise for work. so it's a lot of dialogue driven-dramas. i'm watching oz right now
i found that if i give up games and stuff though i have more "hang out" time with my friends and my boyfriend. we went to the boardwalk last night and it was blast. i still brought my sketchbook though, lol.

i'd love to go back to BJJ someday, i still have all three of my kimonos/gi/whatever. how long have you been training for?

I had to give up fighting games. I rarely play now and my stick is taunting me ever since I got my work schedule change.

It's hard for me to hang out with friends because I work weekends and Tuesday and Wednesday are my days off. And we all know weekday nights are a bit slow or busy for most people and they generally don't have time to hang out then. So because of that, I've gotten closer to my boyfriend, co-workers, and my BJJ teammates.

Going to a boardwalk sounds nice! Did you sketch anything while there?

I try to watch tv while doing art but I find it hard to concentrate on doing art and watching tv at the same time. I wish I could do what you do but I don't think I can. Tips? It'd help clear my tv plate so I can spend more time doing other stuff on my "weekends" (Tues and Wed).

Last night my boyfriend and I made homemade sweet potato chips. Then we ate them while we watched Stranger Things and I played Pokemon. Multi tasking! I had forgotten how awesome handheld games are about being able to watch something with your partner while also playing a game.

I have been doing BJJ 7 months-ish. I also lift weights at the gym. Lifting tonight with my bf and spending quality time together. I could do a lot more art but as a former obese girl I feel like if I don't keep it up I'll get fat again. It's not something I'm willing to do because it's a core part of my identity now I guess? When I was sick the other week and had a rash I felt claustrophobic and antsy without doing exercise just like how I feel if I don't get to draw. I'm hoping that when I move to attend Watts things will be easier to manage in terms of time but it probably won't. Hopefully time open up eventually as my art improves.

What is your goal in terms of illustration career? Mine is to be an environmental artist (either pre-production in concept art or production) for animated films.

Top Bottom