• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Media

Speaking of joints, I'm on another round of steroids. Which means I'm going to gain another ten pounds. Fuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkkk me.

Sorry for your guyses joint issues :(

Jobbs

Banned
I don't have back pain like, ever, fortunately. But the most pain I ever had in my back was turning around at work to shut the bathroom door behind me. I have no idea what I did, it was the most innocuous little move, but something, some nerve got stuck or I don't know and owwwww. Could hardly move and breathe normally for like 2 days before it somehow went away. Go figure!

Earlier this year my lower back was a little sore from my workout -- I probably wasn't careful enough (my lower back is generally a little touchy) -- And hours later I bent down to pick something up, and I guess I did it in just the wrong way, and the pain that shot through my hip/lower back was so extreme it's impossible to describe. I had to very very carefully find the one position laying down on my stomach where I was sort of not in outright agony -- and avoid moving. I would have probably driven to my doctor or maybe even the ER if the idea of moving in any way didn't seem so impossible.

I still don't understand it, but I recovered very quickly. A day later I was pretty much fine. That was the first time in my life I've felt completely physically helpless.

Speaking of joints, I'm on another round of steroids. Which means I'm going to gain another ten pounds. Fuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkkk me.

Sorry for your guyses joint issues :(

Joints are the devil. My knees feel like they're full of broken glass a little too often these days. I didn't think this shit was supposed to be so prevalent until much later in life. :(

Sorry you have to do steroids again. Are you able to combat the weight gain at all or is it hard to exercise? I'm lazy, but sometimes the video game method (random squat reps for random reasons/mini-challenges) inspires enough to do stuff. If I didn't take the baby for epic walks every day, I'd probably liquefy happily on the couch for a month or two.

Mine aren't green 😞

:( That's too bad. I've been seeing a lot of doctors lately lol. Finally decided to do something about all my ailments, so we'll see if any pay off.

Wouldn't it be good to be without pain though? Or is it manageable?

The pain's not bad; it's the feeling that something is ... going wrong in the joint. It's not even the joint that hurts the most! My shoulder has been screwed up all summer. Well, it's been screwed up for over 20 years, but this summer it's been worse.

Media

Joints are the devil. My knees feel like they're full of broken glass a little too often these days. I didn't think this shit was supposed to be so prevalent until much later in life. :(

Sorry you have to do steroids again. Are you able to combat the weight gain at all or is it hard to exercise? I'm lazy, but sometimes the video game method (random squat reps for random reasons/mini-challenges) inspires enough to do stuff. If I didn't take the baby for epic walks every day, I'd probably liquefy happily on the couch for a month or two.

Right now it's hard cause I'm in a flare. My hip is really bad.

If you're having joint pain for no reason you should totally get that checked out. Autoimmune disease tends to run in family's, so if anyone you might be related to has one and you experience issues you should look into it :p

There's a lot in this story. Themes: sexual manipulation, abuse of positions of power, male privilege, and (legal) drug abuse (which I believe is a pandemic for young women).

Doctor Feelgood Allegedly Got Women Hooked on Pills for Sex

Dr. Thota’s critics called him a “Dr. Feelgood” for his reputation of playing fast and loose with prescriptions. From 2005 to 2012, at least 15 of the anesthesiologist’s patients died from the painkillers he allegedly handed out like candy. Others who cut ties with the doctor turned to street drugs like heroin in lieu of the powerful prescriptions he wrote.

But the nickname took on a grim new significance on Wednesday, when federal agents arrested 62-year-old Thota outside his San Diego practice. Thota didn’t just over-prescribe pills, a federal indictment claims—he allegedly traded pain meds for sex with his young female patients, upping their doses and sending them on spirals of addiction.

D.H., as investigators refer to her in a Wednesday indictment, was one of Thota’s patients at his pain-treatment practice. That didn’t stop Thota from sending her frequent personal text messages, sometimes asking for sex. He offered her $100, D.H. alleges in the indictment.

Beginning February 2013, Thota prescribed medication to a woman the indictment refers to as J.S. A recovering drug addict in her mid-20s, J.S. sought methadone or oxycodone for her withdrawal pain. But on their first meeting, Thota allegedly steered the conversation toward sex, acting “super friendly,” “flirty,” and “kinda unprofessional,” even asking about her nipple rings, J.S. told investigators.

He wrote her a prescription for the powerful painkiller hydrocodone, or Vicodin. Three days later, he called to ask her on a Valentine’s Day date.

As their doctor-patient and intimate relationships progressed, Thota kept J.S. heavily medicated. He switched her from hydrocodone to oxycodone, then allegedly doubled her dosage without informing her. Already working through one addiction, J.S. developed a new one. She loved oxycodone, she told investigators, and quickly became dependent on her increased dosage.

Dependency on oxycodone meant dependency on Thota. J.S. began to ask for early refills. When that wasn’t enough, she asked him to fill prescriptions in her brother’s and father’s names, under-the-table medications Thota would allegedly give her in the parking lot outside his practice, rather than in the office.

Thota’s text messages with J.S. suggest he knew he was over-prescribing. “The dose you are taking and the diagnosis doesn’t match my love,” he texted her when she tried obtaining her medication from another doctor. “I am not telling all this to your doc. It is only between you and me.”

Their relationship worsened as J.S. attempted to distance herself from Thota, who allegedly had control of her phone plan, before he canceled it without warning. Texting from her brother’s phone, J.S. threatened to reveal Thota’s history.

One such patient, a woman referred to as M.R. in the indictment, met Thota after an ambulance took her to a local hospital for withdrawal-related seizures. Thota prescribed her methadone, and called her after she was released from the hospital. M.R. began attending his practice for more methadone, but quickly ran through her prescriptions. Thota allegedly agreed to give her more medication if she’d meet him for lunch at Denny’s.

The meetings became a pattern, with M.R. meeting Thota in his car to trade handjobs for painkillers. M.R. felt as though if she did not agree to his demands, he’d stop filling her prescription, she told investigators.

But she couldn’t risk going to another doctor. Thota had allegedly upped her prescription over the course of their relationship. In the hospital, she’d been on a daily dose of 40 milligrams of methadone. Now she was on 60. When she finally ended all ties with the doctors, she lost her prescription and began using heroin.

More at the link. I read this and was pretty appalled. I guess my only reason for posting this is... stay safe! Remember that just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they aren't a bad person.

There's a lot in this story. Themes: sexual manipulation, abuse of positions of power, male privilege, and (legal) drug abuse (which I believe is a pandemic for young women).

Doctor Feelgood Allegedly Got Women Hooked on Pills for Sex

More at the link. I read this and was pretty appalled. I guess my only reason for posting this is... stay safe! Remember that just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they aren't a bad person.

Well this is certainly horrid

Terrorblot

Soooo I've only started this year to really start trying my best at makeup (I'm trans, bleh) and switched over from a powder foundation to a liquid and OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING. I've had awful skin all my life but today for once I actually feel pretty. :D

Also all the posts above are sad and horrible yikes :\

Soooo I've only started this year to really start trying my best at makeup (I'm trans, bleh) and switched over from a powder foundation to a liquid and OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING. I've had awful skin all my life but today for once I actually feel pretty. :D

Also all the posts above are sad and horrible yikes :\

I'm really happy for you. :) I look forward to actually getting into makeup myself.

Terrorblot

I'm really happy for you. :) I look forward to actually getting into makeup myself.

Thanks! Makeups fun as heck provided you're doing it for you.

Finally got my hands on Ms. Marvel #1 I really like it.
Ms Marvel is a BLAST. Love Kamala she's a fantastic and lovable character. Are you reading the #1 from when she first debuted or the more recent #1 (marvel numbers bleck!)?

Media

Also all the posts above are sad and horrible yikes :

I'm cis and suck at makeup lol, so don't feel bad. What foundation are you using? I keep getting shitty brands that cake up my pores visibly. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong lol.

I don't wear it that often anyhow. I also have a hell of a time matching my olive skin, ugh.

Terrorblot

I'm cis and suck at makeup lol, so don't feel bad. What foundation are you using? I keep getting shitty brands that cake up my pores visibly. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong lol.

I don't wear it that often anyhow. I also have a hell of a time matching my olive skin, ugh.

I'm currently using Too Faced Born This Way. It's only the first day but I'm pretty sure this is a huge game changer for me. I was using Tarte Amazonian Clay powder and it wasn't working for me at all, my skin was drying out real real bad and I think I was breaking out because of it too.

Her debut.

Yeaaaaa! I'm excited for you, stranger!

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Yesss! Ms Marvel is soooo good.

I also highly recommend the pre secret wars XMEN as it had an all female squad for a few years and was so fantastic. A Force is another good one

Terrorblot

Yesss! Ms Marvel is soooo good.

I also highly recommend the pre secret wars XMEN as it had an all female squad for a few years and was so fantastic. A Force is another good one

I'm currently buying X-Men 92', Extraordinary X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and Old Man Logan, but the only one I'm caught up on is Extraordinary :\.

Ceallach

Xmen 92 can fuck off. Chris Simms is one of the most disgusting men in the industry and emblematic of the struggles women industry. Fuck him and fuck anything he is attached to.

It's also just a shit comic and a shit nostalgia parade.

Terrorblot

Xmen 92 can fuck off. Chris Simms is one of the most disgusting men in the industry and emblematic of the struggles women industry. Fuck him and fuck anything he is attached to.

It's also just a shit comic and a shit nostalgia parade.

Because of the Val D'orazio or was there other stuff? I know nothing about him / her other than that he worked for ComicsAlliance and wrote X-Men 92' and she's a comic book writer he harassed?

Either way haven't read it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ can't really comment but by your comment I'm sure whatever he did / how he acts is pretty bad.

Ceallach

It's not a fucking shoulder shrug. His kind of sexual harrassment and misogyny fucking perpetuate the stupid boys club comics have the reputation of. He is the type of scum that needs to be removed from the industry.

Terrorblot

It's not a fucking shoulder shrug. His kind of sexual harrassment and misogyny fucking perpetuate the stupid boys club comics have the reputation of. He is the type of scum that needs to be removed from the industry.

It was a shoulder shrug because I don't know any of the relevant information and can't weight in in any meaningful way, not because I think misogyny / sexual harrassment is OK in any way shape or form. If it's true I'll probably drop the book.

The only thing I know about Sims is I have a friend who enjoys his podcast who typically isn't susceptible to that kind of BS. Sounds like a gross human being though so I imagine the whole debacle probably fell off his radar.

Nudull

Banned

Brian Wood, the guy who wrote the recent all-female X-Men team, is very much a part of this problem too.

Ceallach

Ugh, I feel like a horrible person. I just had the most bigoted outrage.

So the place I work, Mid-Atlantic Regional Maintenance Center, is a military command but has a civilian component. Recently, a trans woman was hired as one of the secretaries and she makes me so mad. She is so stereotypically girly it drives me mad. And she always encourages and relishes inappropriate shit-lewd jokes, stupid hot chick email chains, etc. I went back into my office to talk to my ALPO(also a female E-6) and we both just went in behind close doors. the most transphobic shit. Complaining how trans women arent women because they were never girls, they don't know what we went through, what we go through. Just going over shit like being 13 and getting catcalled by grown men, having to learn where to park to avoid creeps, having to carry mace and knuckle dusters, the "just kidding" harassment, having your opinion shot down for being "just a girl", having your feelings being dismissed as "PMSing", we just went stupid.

And I feel awful. Like a bigot. Logically I understand it isn't their choice, they have problems of their own, their own shit to deal with, etc, but this woman that makes me so mad just drew so much hate out of me for no good reason.

Sorry for this. I just kinda feel like owning up to my shit is necessary for me to stop being dumb.

and we both just went in behind close doors. the most transphobic shit. Complaining how trans women arent women because they were never girls, they don't know what we went through, what we go through. Just going over shit like being 13 and getting catcalled by grown men, having to learn where to park to avoid creeps, having to carry mace and knuckle dusters, the "just kidding" harassment, having your opinion shot down for being "just a girl", having your feelings being dismissed as "PMSing", we just went stupid.

Not sure why you're posting details where you work in something like that.

I also don't know why you don't think a trans woman wouldn't have to go through any of that. Do you think all trans women announce they're trans? If a trans woman who passes walks by a group of creeps, do you think they will treat her any different than a cis woman? I have a trans friend. Her male family members went from taking her opinions with consideration to brushing them off the second she started looking like and presenting like a woman. On dates she carries pepper spray, because when she tells them she's trans she doesn't know how they'll reaction. People at work don't know she's trans. She can't be as aggressive in her career because now is she talks up she's seen as a "bitch" and not "confident" or "taking the initiative." She's learned to always try to smile because otherwise some stranger will tell her she needs to smile. The idea that only cis women can experience those things seems really, really naive.

How is she stereotypically girly?

Ceallach

Not sure why you're posting details where you work in something like that.

I also don't know why you don't think a trans woman wouldn't have to go through any of that.

How is she stereotypically girly?

Sorry. I know some know me as active duty so I was just trying to clarify why I was with a civilian. Incidentally, that command has about hundreds of offices globally, so it'd be like saying I worked at target, without a real detail, it means nothing.

But logically, I do realize they go through it. My point is, we were being awful, with so many dumb biases.

But yeah, it's just her fucking pink everything, stupid signature with a heart in it, her tee-hee laugh, her shit about hard it is to find a good man, terrible blonde dye job, obnoxious fake boobs, her stupid pink car with the eyelashes, it just irritates me. And it's dumb because I know cis women like that too! Who need everything to be Hello Kitty and pink and shit. Like I want her to be more! But it's not my fucking place to decide who should be anything! And it's so damn weak and stupid of me to judge her.

Sorry. I know some know me as active duty so I was just trying to clarify why I was with a civilian. Incidentally, that command has about hundreds of offices globally, so it'd be like saying I worked at target, without a real detail, it means nothing.

But logically, I do realize they go through it. My point is, we were being awful, with so many dumb biases.

But yeah, it's just her fucking pink everything, stupid signature with a heart in it, her tee-hee laugh, her shit about hard it is to find a good man, terrible blonde dye job, obnoxious fake boobs, her stupid pink car with the eyelashes, it just irritates me. And it's dumb because I know cis women like that too! Who need everything to be Hello Kitty and pink and shit. Like I want her to be more! But it's not my fucking place to decide who should be anything! And it's so damn weak and stupid of me to judge her.

Ah. Can't really help there. I know lots of girls like that, cis or trans. Just let her be her I guess. None of those seem to be outrageously annoying things. It's pretty common, so I don't know what to say other than try to empathize. Have you tried talking to her about it? It might help.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I find girls like that annoying too, but whether they'd be trans or cis wouldn't change a thing. :p At least you realize it's irrational and try to work on it, I guess...

Also...

But yeah, it's just her fucking pink everything
image.php

Sorry, I had to

Misha

Banned

I get why you find that annoying. Always feels like overcompensation to me and it feels like they're being a caricature. But the reality is like you said it's not specific to trans girls. It's irrational to assume it's anything but the person expressing their individuality (no matter how obnoxious you find it)
Definitely takes a bit of effort to learn not to think that way and of course recognizing the error is how you get there
(I also had to get through a bunch of self loathing when I was initially trying to figure out how to make feminism and transness go together when I didn't have the best sources)

Also if it helps, I've been ignored for being "too emotional" before :p
(To add to the experiences already listed)

suzu

What's a good face moisturizer for dry+oily skin?
I've never cared about skin care before and I don't have wrinkles yet, but lately my smile lines look darker. Stress and aging sucks. :(

What's a good face moisturizer for dry+oily skin?
I've never cared about skin care before and I don't have wrinkles yet, but lately my smile lines look darker. Stress and aging sucks. :(

Almost any, really. If you want spf go with a facial moisturizer with spf in it like Neutrogena spf 15 facial moisturizer or get some regular Aveeno meant for deep penetration. Put it on right after showering.

iirate

Ugh, I feel like a horrible person. I just had the most bigoted outrage.

So the place I work, Mid-Atlantic Regional Maintenance Center, is a military command but has a civilian component. Recently, a trans woman was hired as one of the secretaries and she makes me so mad. She is so stereotypically girly it drives me mad. And she always encourages and relishes inappropriate shit-lewd jokes, stupid hot chick email chains, etc. I went back into my office to talk to my ALPO(also a female E-6) and we both just went in behind close doors. the most transphobic shit. Complaining how trans women arent women because they were never girls, they don't know what we went through, what we go through. Just going over shit like being 13 and getting catcalled by grown men, having to learn where to park to avoid creeps, having to carry mace and knuckle dusters, the "just kidding" harassment, having your opinion shot down for being "just a girl", having your feelings being dismissed as "PMSing", we just went stupid.

And I feel awful. Like a bigot. Logically I understand it isn't their choice, they have problems of their own, their own shit to deal with, etc, but this woman that makes me so mad just drew so much hate out of me for no good reason.

Sorry for this. I just kinda feel like owning up to my shit is necessary for me to stop being dumb.

It's easy to lose perspective and hard to gain it, but you were able to check yourself here, so stop beating yourself up. Honestly, I'm trans and I still do the same shit that you were. I meet trans women who's experiences and attitudes are so different from mine that it's difficult to empathize with them. I get frustrated with them for not understanding my experiences(when I don't understand theirs any better), and for all sorts of stupid shit that usually amounts to me being afraid they'll make me look worse.

The truth is, if you're trans and people know it, everything you do starts being scrutinized. If you're too girly, you're overcompensating, and if you're too masculine, then you aren't really trans. As an openly trans woman with passing privilege, it's easy for me to tell when someone was told that I'm trans before they met me. The people I meet that already know I'm trans usually have more trouble seeing me as a woman, while the people that I disclose to later tend to have trouble remembering that I'm trans or thinking of me as a guy in any way.

I don't like hiding that I'm trans, but I also don't like disclosing with new friends until I've gained some trust in them. On the same note, I wouldn't deny that I'm trans if confronted at work, but I have never disclosed that fact either, because I know word would spread quickly and negatively impact too many future interactions. I'm not just speaking from the perspective of the scrutinized, either - I've been on the other side of this and have been guilty of the same things that I'm accusing cis people of doing. Ultimately, cis or trans, we've all been taught the same awful shit about trans people growing up. You recognized those teachings and are at least trying to understand how shit they are, so good on you for that.

Hello All

Just want to step in and suggest that telling ANY coworker that you don't like them because of how they dress, or talk, or (especially!) their body parts is probably a really bad idea.

Top Bottom