• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Platy

So beautiful to see so much people doing Art related stuff =D

Studying is awesome .... but I HATE to work and study at the same time =/

Emitan

image.php

This is definitely scary D:

image.php

This is definitely scary D:

Devo does fabulous work. And, did you mean for a costume or in general?

It looks like my costume wont make it in on time. ): I'll probably just put on cow ears and bark at people.

Aww... Sorry it won't reach you in time. What were you going to be? I was actually on the ball this year and ordered early because I knew I'd have to adjust it. I just finished sewing it in. It's all bunchy in the back, but my skills are pretty limited. I need ears or something, though.

6vssml.jpg

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm studying for my GRE so I haven't had the time to really think about my costume.

I can after Monday. I'm usually pretty good at throwing together neat costumes on the fly.

Emitan

Aww... Sorry it won't reach you in time. What were you going to be? I was actually on the ball this year and ordered early because I knew I'd have to adjust it. I just finished sewing it in. It's all bunchy in the back, but my skills are pretty limited. I need ears or something, though.

6vssml.jpg

O: This is awesome! I love Star Wars!

:p

I'm studying for my GRE so I haven't had the time to really think about my costume.

I can after Monday. I'm usually pretty good at throwing together neat costumes on the fly.

I remember the costume you posted before with the white wig and kabuki-esque makeup...? That thing was awesome. Do it again!

O: This is awesome! I love Star Wars!

:p

Careful. More dedicated Trekkies than myself would have vaporized you for that. ;)

Emitan

Your costume reminds me I need to resub to Netflix and continue my great Star Trek Trek. I grew up watching TNG but I'm trying to watch every single Star Trek episode in order.

JambiBum

The sale is very limited quantities so it sold out about 12 hours after my post :(. Sorry. Next time they do it, I'll make sure to post way in advance. It had started Monday and I didn't find out about it until Wednesday around 2am. Apparently they do it for shoes, accessories (which are $5) and apartment stuff. I missed out on everything but apparel.
Yeah we found the link but realized that it sold out. Thanks for trying though. I obviously don't keep up on sales for women's clothing so I like to stop by Girl Gaf to find things. I enjoy shopping with my gf because looking at all the crazy options there are is fun.

Don't think I'll be dressing up :< I might go to the Halloween parade here though ;3

And you look so good girlie omg ;3

Not at all? Even just a bit of make up would probably raise the parade for you. But, ah! With the storm coming, will there be a parade? :/

And thanks! Not sure what to do with the hair, though. I am NOT beehiving it. :p

Your costume reminds me I need to resub to Netflix and continue my great Star Trek Trek. I grew up watching TNG but I'm trying to watch every single Star Trek episode in order.

I love TNG the most, but all the costumes they had available for the series would have required tailoring way beyond my skills.

I was also rewatching ST:TNG... but that was with my ex. D:

Feels weird watching it right now.

Why does it feel weird? I still quite like them...

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Why does it feel weird? I still quite like them...

I don't mean the show was weird or anything bad about the show. Just that we watched them together and then we broke up quite recently. So I would like to watch them but right now it feels weird watching it without him.

I hope that is pink and not red. D:

D: I did not even think of that! But Uhura lived... So there's a chance, right? It's only guys in red that die!

I don't mean the show was weird or anything bad about the show. Just that we watched them together and then we broke up quite recently. So I would like to watch them but right now it feels weird watching it without him.

:( Sorry, Lissar. I didn't know.

Too late, she's going to die by falling boulder on random alien landscape!

Sometimes they make it to the middle of the episode, right? If I get home early I might avoid my fate.

They're red so they don't have to get rid of the bloodstains.

Exactly so!

A.E Suggs

Dressing up is for sissy's I ain't with that crap nope. I'm staying at home to scare the hell out of trick or treat kids.
I kid I kid except for the tricking kids part

Oh, forgot about that fact. It's lucky for you that the writers were sexist.

Hey no one ever said sexism doesn't have its benefits, your even made to sit out the front lines of a war I consider that a real victory :D.

Um guess how women in occupied territories are treated.

That reminds me, I really need to take the time to see the movie Invisible War.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_invisible_war/
Basic premise:
The Invisible War is a groundbreaking investigative documentary about one of our country's most shameful and best kept secrets: the epidemic of rape within our US military. Today, a female soldier in Iraq and Afghanistan is more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire with the number of assaults in the last decade alone in the hundreds of thousands. Focusing on the powerfully emotional stories of several young women, the film reveals the systemic cover up of the crimes against them and follows their struggles to rebuild their lives and fight for justice. The Invisible War features hard-hitting interviews with high-ranking military officials and members of Congress that reveal the perfect storm conditions that exist for rape in the military, its history of cover-up, and what can be done to bring about much needed change.
Honestly, before hearing about this movie, I never knew how serious it was, or even that it was an issue at all.

6vssml.jpg
Cute costume! Boyfriend was studying for his fe
Exam (engineering license) all month until yesterday so we didn't get to do any dressing up this year :( we were planning on maybe going to Salem but with the hurricane coming we will probably stay in. Was going to go as a Roy lichenstein painting :( had a cute polka dot dress and everything.

Also, I don't feel like going back to the ugly girl thread, but Olay is pretty good at hiding wrinkles. Especially If you started using it in your teens (which I never did). You can also mix the vitamin e into your face moisturizers. I have one scowl line next to my left eyebrow that bugs me so much. I wish I could get rid of it. Makes my face look half angry :p.

Basic premise:
The Invisible War is a groundbreaking investigative documentary about one of our country's most shameful and best kept secrets: the epidemic of rape within our US military. Today, a female soldier in Iraq and Afghanistan is more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire with the number of assaults in the last decade alone in the hundreds of thousands. Focusing on the powerfully emotional stories of several young women, the film reveals the systemic cover up of the crimes against them and follows their struggles to rebuild their lives and fight for justice. The Invisible War features hard-hitting interviews with high-ranking military officials and members of Congress that reveal the perfect storm conditions that exist for rape in the military, its history of cover-up, and what can be done to bring about much needed change.
Honestly, before hearing about this movie, I never knew how serious it was, or even that it was an issue at all.

There was apparently something like 19,000 sexual assaults in the US Military in 2010, that's a DoD estimate too.

Dom Brunt

Not sure what to do with the hair, though. I am NOT beehiving it. :p

There were less dramatic hairstyles in TOS, you don't need to go over the top with backcombing to achieve a nice 60s look. You seem to have enough hair to pull of any of these for example, just stick a hair rat in there for those poofier ones:

http://i.imgur.com/lrQ3X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e1psW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0STDm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EL0LS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8hcdQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/G4g1x.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UhKqe.jpg

Hope you get some inspiration from these :)

A.E Suggs

There was apparently something like 19,000 sexual assaults in the US Military in 2010, that's a DoD estimate too.
Well thats why I always found it better that females don't serve in wars. Not cause they aren't capable but because of crap that happens to them while serving. That said I'd be glad that no one would have to serve, but thats not how reality is at the moment. That number is terrible though not to surprising since I know people that before they joined the military were sad life types that treated woman like garbage. I don't see why people want to join the army to begin with nowadays.

On topic I may let my kids go out to a halloween party. I don't really want them to but I also don't want to be that guy this year. I may take them to fright fest at six flags, but I'm not dressing up though I've never really liked the day aside from when I was younger

NO one would be scared of that ya need blood H.pro blood!

Oh dayum H. pro

C'mon, AM. Be a blue or a gold and we can pair costume from afar! You would look great in the blue. I'm sure of it. :)

Basic premise:

Cute costume! Boyfriend was studying for his fe
Exam (engineering license) all month until yesterday so we didn't get to do any dressing up this year :( we were planning on maybe going to Salem but with the hurricane coming we will probably stay in. Was going to go as a Roy lichenstein painting :( had a cute polka dot dress and everything.

Also, I don't feel like going back to the ugly girl thread, but Olay is pretty good at hiding wrinkles. Especially If you started using it in your teens (which I never did). You can also mix the vitamin e into your face moisturizers. I have one scowl line next to my left eyebrow that bugs me so much. I wish I could get rid of it. Makes my face look half angry :p.

Thanks, AY! It's pretty comfy too, which is a plus. Damn this hurricane, though. Didn't this happen last year as well and Halloween was a bust? :( Would still love to see your costume if you had any pics. It sounds hella more creative than mine.

As the the wrinkle stuff, yes(!), I wanted to ask you more about your techniques. I actually lucked out in that my mom and aunt both used Olay, so I've probably been using it since my late teens. I am starting to get that paper-thin skin around the eyes, though, and there are lines there now. I also have a bad tendency to sleep on my right side or stomach and the mouth line on the right is much more pronounced than the left. :/ Like your scowl line I cannot seem to get rid of it. I will definitely try the vitamin e. I was also thinking of getting satin pillow covers since I seem set on sleeping all squish-faced belly down. Have you heard anything about good satin stuff? So hard to tell what's just being peddled and what works.

So you're one of them eh H.Pro? *squint*

I am a massive nerd. It is known. ^_^

There were less dramatic hairstyles in TOS, you don't need to go over the top with backcombing to achieve a nice 60s look. You seem to have enough hair to pull of any of these for example, just stick a hair rat in there for those poofier ones:

http://i.imgur.com/lrQ3X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e1psW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0STDm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EL0LS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8hcdQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/G4g1x.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UhKqe.jpg

Hope you get some inspiration from these :)

Dom Brunt, I love you. Those are perfect and very inspiring. I will definitely see if I can copy them! Thank you!

Well thats why I always found it better that females don't serve in wars. Not cause they aren't capable but because of crap that happens to them while serving. That said I'd be glad that no one would have to serve, but thats not how reality is at the moment. That number is terrible though not to surprising since I know people that before they joined the military were sad life types that treated woman like garbage. I don't see why people want to join the army to begin with nowadays.

On topic I may let my kids go out to a halloween party. I don't really want them to but I also don't want to be that guy this year. I may take them to fright fest at six flags, but I'm not dressing up though I've never really liked the day aside from when I was younger

NO one would be scared of that ya need blood H.pro blood!

Need to follow your war convo more, but as Devo said, terrible things happen to women in any war zone regardless of being in the military. And keeping things the way they are with women serving now seems to just reinforce the 'women in a man's army' kind of thing. Like we don't belong there or are playing at a boy's game. I do think it contributes to the ease in which women are assaulted. They don't see us as 100% fellow soldiers, so it's easier to let things slide. But anyway, I'd rather be allowed the option to fight. Being excluded from the front lines feels like a shitty control decision, not a blessing.

As for Halloween, maybe I'll get in a fight! I can fisticuff my way through bars to 'scare' up my costume. ^_^ But for your kids, why the reluctance to let them go to a party?

A.E Suggs

As for Halloween, maybe I'll get in a fight! I can fisticuff my way through bars to 'scare' up my costume. ^_^ But for your kids, why the reluctance to let them go to a party?
There's always problems going down at most these parties so If me or their mother isn't around to watch them (which in most cases i'm not) i'm not letting them go. Also the foul language that kids have nowadays along with the things they do just doesn't cut it for me. I can't keep them from everything, but its my responsiblity to keep them away from things I don't find appropriate when I have the power to. It happening in everyday life or at school is not excuse.

About that military stuff above i'll speak on that later. I have my personal reasons why I think the way I do on the issue but I don't feel now is the time for that. Not trying to avoid the issue though honest!

Since i'm not in the mood for ANOTHER thread of male privilege and stuffs like that, this foes here and not in the review thread :

Ellen on Bic Pens for Women
I think you mean goes right?

Ezalc

Pft, Star Trek is just superior.

To be honest, I saw the new Star Trek movie a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty cool. But the two franchises, in terms of what they are about are really different. Star wars to me seems to focus more on the individual while Star Trek more on groups.

Thanks, AY! It's pretty comfy too, which is a plus. Damn this hurricane, though. Didn't this happen last year as well and Halloween was a bust? :( Would still love to see your costume if you had any pics. It sounds hella more creative than mine.

As the the wrinkle stuff, yes(!), I wanted to ask you more about your techniques. I actually lucked out in that my mom and aunt both used Olay, so I've probably been using it since my late teens. I am starting to get that paper-thin skin around the eyes, though, and there are lines there now. I also have a bad tendency to sleep on my right side or stomach and the mouth line on the right is much more pronounced than the left. :/ Like your scowl line I cannot seem to get rid of it. I will definitely try the vitamin e. I was also thinking of getting satin pillow covers since I seem set on sleeping all squish-faced belly down. Have you heard anything about good satin stuff? So hard to tell what's just being peddled and what works.
Don't know if there was a hurricane last year, I just moved here from New Orleans. My mom always swore on Olay, I never cared for the smell. I also have super sensitive skin combination skin, so I've been using Lush's Cosmetic Lad for a while now. The vitamin E + sunglasses when I go out helps a lot.

I also have the same problem you do, I always lay on the side of my face, I never though about using satin pillow sheets, my bedroom theme is navy blue, dark brown and bits of yellow, so I've been super picky about my sheet colors, unless I find the perfect blue or yellow, I cant buy it, drives the boyfriend mad.

Also got my Stylish surprise pieces in today. Out of this six items, I'll try and swap two of them, so not bad! I'll make sure to post pictures later this week when I feel like modeling

I always forget about the existence of OT Community. Anyway figured I should come say hi.

So, anyone get their costumes together yet? Just finished mine, but I really need Vulcan ears or something. :D

I'm doing Poison Ivy and I finished gluing all the leaves onto my body suit thing this afternoon. Went to try it on this evening...didn't even occur to me that the glue would make the whole thing unstretchable! Managed to shimmy my way in eventually, but lost a few leaves in the process. Fuck.

A trekkie though? *sigh*

AM knows what I'm talking about.

Pssssh. I like both, but Star Wars can't compete with TNG. Nope.

Don't know if there was a hurricane last year, I just moved here from New Orleans. My mom always swore on Olay, I never cared for the smell. I also have super sensitive skin combination skin, so I've been using Lush's Cosmetic Lad for a while now. The vitamin E + sunglasses when I go out helps a lot.

I also have the same problem you do, I always lay on the side of my face, I never though about using satin pillow sheets, my bedroom theme is navy blue, dark brown and bits of yellow, so I've been super picky about my sheet colors, unless I find the perfect blue or yellow, I cant buy it, drives the boyfriend mad.

Also got my Stylish surprise pieces in today. Out of this six items, I'll try and swap two of them, so not bad! I'll make sure to post pictures later this week when I feel like modeling

Your routine sounds pretty solid. I should wear shades more, but after getting lasik my 'night vision' went away and putting on sunglasses makes everything uncomfortably dim. I do wear lotion with SPF 15, so there's that, but I do need to try out your vitamin E thing.

As for the satin pillowcases thing, I have heard from several people/a study or two that they do help out with the sleeping wrinkles, especially if you sleep like we do: sides or torpedoes. :p I'm going to give it a go. I need a new set of sheets anyway and they seem to have satin bedding in nice dark, rich colors (like the ones you seem to prefer as well).

Also, can't wait to see your Halloween costume pics. It's a shame the storm picked the timing it did. I'm going to experiment with the hair bits for mine tonight and see if I can't manage something cooler than a ponytail.

I always forget about the existence of OT Community. Anyway figured I should come say hi.

I'm doing Poison Ivy and I finished gluing all the leaves onto my body suit thing this afternoon. Went to try it on this evening...didn't even occur to me that the glue would make the whole thing unstretchable! Managed to shimmy my way in eventually, but lost a few leaves in the process. Fuck.

Welcome! I did see your bodysuit in the Halloween thread and was anticipating the full ensemble. And now that you've said you glued everything without thinking, know that you're in good company. I do that sort of thing all the time. :) You'll just have to shimmy in again before you go out and glue them back on while dressed. It'll still look great! Just don't glue yourself into the suit... Will you post pictures when it's all assembled?

6vssml.jpg

That is, indeed, very cute. Now just buy a toy version of Spock's tricorder for an outrageous price and you'll be good to go! And the ears of course.

Top Bottom