• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Hi everyone! I'd like your opinions on something.

I've recently decided that I want to cut my hair short. Like really short. Probably mini-afro now. I currently keep it in one most days for convenience but it looks really nice when it's out:

564070_10151016584136688_1736753835_n.jpg

It's just really warm when it's out too.

I have a really squishy and round face though so maybe cutting it wouldn't be the best idea?

Thoughts?

I've recently decided that I want to cut my hair short. Like really short. Probably mini-afro now. I currently keep it in one most days for convenience but it looks really nice when it's out:

I have a really squishy and round face though so maybe cutting it wouldn't be the best idea?

Thoughts?

ARE YOU A MONSTER?

Kimaka

Thoughts?

Maybe twists as an alternative to cutting your hair? It is easily manageable and it isn't a hot hairstyle.

This article talks about having a short hair cut with a round face. It also links to a gallery that shows some women in short fros for comparison.

ARE YOU A MONSTER?

Yes.

Maybe twists as an alternative to cutting your hair? It is easily manageable and it isn't a hot hairstyle.

This article talks about having a short hair cut with a round face. It also links to a gallery that shows some women in short fros for comparison.

Thanks a lot! Another alternative was getting it put into neat dread locks but twists are another option. I still have some thinking to do, haha.

Best Harry Potter movie? Gogogo

The fourth was great, and even though it didn't have a great plot I really liked the second. The mood Chris Columbus set really fit my interpretation I guess, but in the first movie the actors were a bit too young :p

NOT the third, which going against popular opinion I completely hated. The actors for Lupin and Sirius didn't feel right to me, nor did the atmosphere. Plus there were a bunch of little things like the knight bus. Its one of my favourites, so I hold it to a high standard :p

I've never heard that one, but upon reading it I laughed heartily.

iirate

The fourth was great, and even though it didn't have a great plot I really liked the second. The mood Chris Columbus set really fit my interpretation I guess, but in the first movie the actors were a bit too young :p

NOT the third, which going against popular opinion I completely hated. The actors for Lupin and Sirius didn't feel right to me, nor did the atmosphere. Plus there were a bunch of little things like the knight bus. Its one of my favourites, so I hold it to a high standard :p

I've never heard that one, but upon reading it I laughed heartily.

I can't understand this. Gary Oldman is right for every role.

Sirius and Lupin were great. They were supposed to look shitty for their age but still retaining their attractive. Or in movie terms, "older but good looking".

That said, I enjoyed all movies when I watched them other than the fourth one, since the fourth book was my favorite and the movie was pretty disappointing. What the hell is up with Harry, Ron and the twins' hair. At least it has a threatening Voldemort.

Gaf probably thinks that everyone that posts in this thread have big boobs

As if GAF didn't know perfectly.

I has no writing skills either :(

I'm willing to bet money that it will turn into a men's issues thread by page four, but I still think its thread worthy.

So girlgaf ... does this deserve it's own post or we can ressucitate one of the hundreds ?
Anyone with better writting skills want to make the thread ?
I saw that earlier today and teared up a bit.

Then I saw this and it made me smile. :)

I has no writing skills either :(

I'm willing to bet money that it will turn into a men's issues thread by page four, but I still think its thread worthy.
Page four seems very optimistic!

Twilight doesn't seem very uh, female empowering.
Well it's not like James Bond films or the like send very positive messages about masculinity either. /shrug I'd like to see awesome movies led by women and terrible movies led by women and everything in between. This is a step in the right direction.

But actually, Bella Swan is given a great deal of agency in the movies and [spoilers for the new one]
they changed some things from the book to make her pretty physically badass in this last Twilight movie.

mollipen

So, I apologize for this potentially stupid question, but I've never dealt with this before, and I thought this might be a good place to ask.

One of the downside to red hair is that the color can fade depending on a variety of situations. I think having my hair longer + natural change over time + California air/sun (at least, I blame California!) have my hair currently looking a bit weaker in the red department than I'd like. (In some light, I look like more of a light brunette.)

I've never given the idea consideration before, but how do hair coloring products work if you're just looking to enhance your natural color? I've dyed my hair drastic colors a few times just for fun, and I don't want to do anything along the lines of going fake red. Are there things that you can buy that are based around just making your natural color a little bolder/whatever, or am I crazy in thinking that such things exist?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I don't have red hair, so I can't say for sure if this works well, but what about trying henna? I've heard it's a great natural dye for red shades.

fireside

So, I apologize for this potentially stupid question, but I've never dealt with this before, and I thought this might be a good place to ask.

One of the downside to red hair is that the color can fade depending on a variety of situations. I think having my hair longer + natural change over time + California air/sun (at least, I blame California!) have my hair currently looking a bit weaker in the red department than I'd like. (In some light, I look like more of a light brunette.)

I've never given the idea consideration before, but how do hair coloring products work if you're just looking to enhance your natural color? I've dyed my hair drastic colors a few times just for fun, and I don't want to do anything along the lines of going fake red. Are there things that you can buy that are based around just making your natural color a little bolder/whatever, or am I crazy in thinking that such things exist?

There are shampoos/conditioners that claim to help protect/enhance color, some specifically made for red hair. You could try something like this, or this.

A.E Suggs

So girlgaf ... does this deserve it's own post or we can ressucitate one of the hundreds ?

mC8Sw.png

Make it, maybe doing the thread will give you confidence in your writing ability. You should take this chance to get yourself out there so people can know the real platy.

fireside

I have naturally red hair but this shampoo/conditioner did absolutely nothing for my colour. But it might work better on dyed hair.

That sucks. I hadn’t used them, so I didn’t know if they worked, but they seemed easier and less drastic to try than hair dye (which would fade on its own as well). But everyone is different, so you never know what works for you, I guess?

Loona

mC8Sw.png

What's the general idea for the thread, create an awareness of the series that already handle the cast in a balanced manner or feature female protagonists?

Listing some stuff here to start with might help, I guess. I'm vaguely aware of Legend of Korra and Gravity Falls, I'm not sure if MLP counts, Powerpuff Girls was awesome even if it's been years, but I haven't kept up too much with what's going on in the cartoon scene nowadays.

Platy

What's the general idea for the thread, create an awareness of the series that already handle the cast in a balanced manner or feature female protagonists?

Listing some stuff here to start with might help, I guess. I'm vaguely aware of Legend of Korra and Gravity Falls, I'm not sure if MLP counts, Powerpuff Girls was awesome even if it's been years, but I haven't kept up too much with what's going on in the cartoon scene nowadays.

Talking about lack of representation in media in general ... maybe even saying games.

Ways to revert, good examples and other stuff.

A list to avoid the classic "oh yeah this is completly fake because of 2 billion shows there are these 3 examples" comments with the ones like Powerpuff on the OP would not be bad ... or even saying that with the main characters in cartoons like Powerpouff the OTHER characters (wich togheter way outnumber the girls) are mostly male

Maybe some of those mumeiistics links to other studies about gender representation and the affects on children ...

edit :
Make it, maybe doing the thread will give you confidence in your writing ability. You should take this chance to get yourself out there so people can know the real platy.

Maybe someday ...

And I think people know me here pretty well .... i'm a bag of cliches =P

Loona

Talking about lack of representation in media in general ... maybe even saying games.

Ways to revert, good examples and other stuff.

The site and the video in it already make a good point, although so a thread around it won't sound like complaining or be interpreted a such, enhancing the visibility of the media that does it right sounds like a possible strategy, like encouraging people to post favorite examples or interesting cases that might have slipped the attention of most, encouraging people to focus on the positive instead of presenting a negative some would feel compelled to counter.

Wasn't there a recent article somewhere about the studio that released the Hunger Games and Twilight movies made a lot more money than it would ever expect from stories with female leads? Sure, Twilight has issues (and I prefer Battle Royale to THG), but those are speaking a language the market undrstands, which sounds like a step forward, hopefully followed by more and better ones.
As "activism" goes by people not making more media themselves that would even the odds, the one thing that crosses my mind would be, when in doubt, to spend money on the media and merchandise that takes that kind of balanced attitude toward female protagonism - again, the language the market understands.

As for interesting gaming examples, I like the fun factoid that Namco's Baraduke (a.k.a. Alien Sector) had a female protagonist even before Metroid, while finding it odd that Namco has barely taken advantage of that historical landmark. The game had one sequel, the character back then has referred to as "Kissy", and was only given a real one, Tobi Masuyo, later in the Mr. Driller games as an NPC, as the protagonist's mother and ex-wife to Taizo Hori, a.k.a. DigDug. It took Namco X Capcom to make her playable again, and in the process she was included in Namco's larger United Galactic Space Force (USGF) series. That USGF thing could be an interesting way to play to 2 aspects of gaming history and bring the character the relevance it deserves, but some awareness needs to be raised for that to happen. The project has a Twitter account, maybe more people following it would help encourage Namco do to something with the concept and its characters.

Another personal favorite case is Streets of Rage 2 - while it falls to many trapping of its genre, it's the only beat-em-up I know where the all-rounder character is female, as one can see in the select screen's stats. The story of the game has you save a guy, which wasn't terribly frequent for its time.

There's the Dead of Alive case too, controversial on a few aspects, but very clearly declared a female character its protagonist back when the original game had only 3 of them, leading up to DoA5 which now has perfect gender parity, if you exclude the 3 guests characters, two of which are female, having girls outnumber guys by 1 (I'm not counting Alpha-152, that's an "it").

Street Fighter spin-off also have an interesting, if recent history on handling the cast: Udon comics release 3 spin-off comic mini-series focusing on female characters (Chun-Li, Sakura and Ibuki) before they ever bothered to do so with a male (they'll soon release one based on Gouki/Akuma). It's arguable that the main comic already covers the male cast so that those characters don't need a mini-series, but a whole lot of it ended up revolving around Cammy.
And then there's that Legend of Chun-Li movie, which felt pretty unprecedented as game movie spin-offs go, regardless of its many issues - someone bothered and released it.

I'm yet to see Wreck-it Ralph, but from the little I've read to avoid spoilers, it seems they tried to address that too when comparing older games like the title character's with more modern stuff, like the movie's own "Hero's Duty".

I don't know, this is just stuff that comes to mind on the topic, I can hardly claim to have a clear perspective on the issue, but if anything, I've left some ideas, brain farts and examples to be argued with and/or improved upon.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I don't have red hair, so I can't say for sure if this works well, but what about trying henna? I've heard it's a great natural dye for red shades.

+1 for henna suggestion for red hair fans. It worked great on my cousin with browish red auburn hair. I hear its really good for hair too.

I've tried it myself once or twice but I don't like red hair colour that much and prefer golden light brown or a much richer chocolate medium-brown colours myself.

mollipen

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've started looking into this henna stuff, and I'll figure out if I'm brave enough to try it on my own, or wait until the next time I see my stylist to see if she's got any advice before I do.

Getting my hair done tomorrow. Finally. It's been 3 months since I got red highlights, and they're...well...faded. And, growing my hair out from a bob for the past couple of years, my hair now looks like a weird freakin' mop. So I am very much looking forward to looking like a human being again.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Got a fortuitous windfall and decided to be responsible and buy clothes (because that's totally a hardship. But seriously, I need to change out my wardrobe so I'm not wearing all the stuff I bought in my early 20s.)

Picked up these great buys (on sale~)

http://www.shabbyapple.com/p-1625-golden-afternoon.aspx
http://www.shabbyapple.com/p-1410-caterpillar-skirt.aspx
http://www.shabbyapple.com/p-1193-ca-bronzite-pp.aspx

If you guys like clothing in classic styles, I recommend this shop! So far I've bought three dresses and a skirt and I've loved all of it.

Got a fortuitous windfall and decided to be responsible and buy clothes (because that's totally a hardship. But seriously, I need to change out my wardrobe so I'm not wearing all the stuff I bought in my early 20s.)

Picked up these great buys (on sale~)

http://www.shabbyapple.com/p-1625-golden-afternoon.aspx
http://www.shabbyapple.com/p-1410-caterpillar-skirt.aspx
http://www.shabbyapple.com/p-1193-ca-bronzite-pp.aspx

If you guys like clothing in classic styles, I recommend this shop! So far I've bought three dresses and a skirt and I've loved all of it.

I want to, but what do if have no money.

Ezalc

I was a wingman tonight, and my friend got action! Felt good man, he was needing some love lol. What is your opinion on wingmen/women GirlGAF?

Ezalc

That could never work for me. I'm uncomfortable dating anyone I don't know well.
You say that, but then when we go to Shan's party and I'm your wingman. You will believe!

Anyone who hooks me up with someone cute is the bestest of friends ~3~
Unfortunately I've never been wingmanned. I was just the wingman, but my friend now has a debt hahahaha.

I've been the wingwoman of pretty much all my friends.

Aren't girls like, the best wingmen? I've heard this a few times.

Top Bottom