• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

iirate

I'm not sure if there's a way to buy the 31 Days of Zero Suit Samus book outside of the Kickstarter that ended a few months ago, but the introduction to the book is a really interesting essay on how fucked up the Zero Suit is and how the art project was intended, in part, to be a subversion of her unnecessary sexualization and a way to "take back" the character, so to speak, and make the suit something that was not crass.

I've never helped fund a kickstarter, but I was heartbroken when I found out about this book. It had one day left to close and I was dead broke. I've actually been rotating art from the book to use as Facebook timeline covers since, but would love to have an opportunity to buy the actual book one day.

I think it is the best metroid nouveau there is ... the others all have problems ..

The NES pallete is interesting, but too colorfull and saturated to feel with the mucha style

This one looks like a 70's progressive rock cover

And this one shows Zero Suit Samus .. wich in my opinion is worst for the franchise than Other M
I like that second one the most.
I'm not sure if there's a way to buy the 31 Days of Zero Suit Samus book outside of the Kickstarter that ended a few months ago, but the introduction to the book is a really interesting essay on how fucked up the Zero Suit is and how the art project was intended, in part, to be a subversion of her unnecessary sexualization and a way to "take back" the character, so to speak, and make the suit something that was not crass.
Wish I could have supported it.

Kisaya

Ughghadsfkjasklfa I hate guys who put you in a spot when asking for your number. Like I try to avoid it or make sure I have someone with me so that it's awkward to ask again. But then it'll come to a point where they'll find you alone with a pen and paper on hand or even hand you their phone with a "new contact" page up.

:(

Aaah I love tokidoki!! I've had a couple of bags of theirs before, though they were ones I bought at the market so I'm not certain of their authenticity.
Ughghadsfkjasklfa I hate guys who put you in a spot when asking for your number. Like I try to avoid it or make sure I have someone with me so that it's awkward to ask again. But then it'll come to a point where they'll find you alone with a pen and paper on hand or even hand you their phone with a "new contact" page up.

It really is the worst;.; I don't know how to say "I don't want you to have my contact details" without being rude. It's never 'can I have your number' either, It's always 'here put this into my phone' or whatever. Gah.

Kisaya

It really is the worst;.; I don't know how to say "I don't want you to have my contact details" without being rude. It's never 'can I have your number' either, It's always 'here put this into my phone' or whatever. Gah.

I rather them give me my number, then its easier for me to ignore. But when they put me on a spot like that it's hard for me to say "no" and not give it. These are guys that I see regularly too :(

mollipen

I rather them give me my number, then its easier for me to ignore. But when they put me on a spot like that it's hard for me to say "no" and not give it. These are guys that I see regularly too :(

If you're somewhere that is supported, you can get a free Google Voice number and give people that instead. I have two of them—it's nice giving a number to people knowing that, at any time, I could ignore or block their calls, and that they aren't getting my real phone number.

some of those prints on fangamer are really awesome. I really dislike having video game posters on my wall, so I like when there are artistic prints available. Since moving to another state, I dont have anything on my walls (the place is pretty bare overall). Going to have to buy these two especially:
foxleaderprint_main_1024x1024.jpg

VS_KM-radiodown-main_1024x1024.jpg

Edit: too bad there arent any shadow of the colossus prints that I like. :(

Kisaya

If you're somewhere that is supported, you can get a free Google Voice number and give people that instead. I have two of them—it's nice giving a number to people knowing that, at any time, I could ignore or block their calls, and that they aren't getting my real phone number.

That's what a friend suggested to me and I made one, but how do I make it so it forward texts that someone sends to me to my actual phone? And if I text back from my actual phone, will the GV number show up or will my actual number show up? :l

mollipen

That's what a friend suggested to me and I made one, but how do I make it so it forward texts that someone sends to me to my actual phone? And if I text back from my actual phone, will the GV number show up or will my actual number show up? :l

There's kind of three levels, from my understand.

If you've got an Android phone, then full support for Google Voice is built in.

If you've got an iPhone (like I do), then you've got a few different options. There's a Google Voice app, and that can handle everything—sending and receiving text messages, sending and receiving calls, voice mail, and so on. Anything you do from inside that app will go through your Google Voice number, so they'll never see your real number.

Then, you can do a few other things. For example, I also have text messages from Google Voice go to an email address I have specifically for my phone. If I reply to that email, then the person on the other end will receive it as a text message from my GV number. I think there are also some other ways you can handle making outgoing calls, but I always just use the Google Voice app.

Finally, if your mobile phone isn't a smartphone, you can at least have Google Voice forward calls and text messages to your phone. That way, you aren't giving out your real phone number. However, to then make calls out and send text from the GV number, your only option might be through the website. If you go on the GV site, you can do all of that kind of stuff.

That site is also where you do all of the setting up as to how you want things forwarded, where to forward them to, what level of screening you have on your calls (I have it set so that if an incoming number isn't in my address book, they have to say their name and I get to screen the call first), and so on.

Kisaya

There's kind of three levels, from my understand.

If you've got an Android phone, then full support for Google Voice is built in.

If you've got an iPhone (like I do), then you've got a few different options. There's a Google Voice app, and that can handle everything—sending and receiving text messages, sending and receiving calls, voice mail, and so on. Anything you do from inside that app will go through your Google Voice number, so they'll never see your real number.

Then, you can do a few other things. For example, I also have text messages from Google Voice go to an email address I have specifically for my phone. If I reply to that email, then the person on the other end will receive it as a text message from my GV number. I think there are also some other ways you can handle making outgoing calls, but I always just use the Google Voice app.

Finally, if your mobile phone isn't a smartphone, you can at least have Google Voice forward calls and text messages to your phone. That way, you aren't giving out your real phone number. However, to then make calls out and send text from the GV number, your only option might be through the website. If you go on the GV site, you can do all of that kind of stuff.

That site is also where you do all of the setting up as to how you want things forwarded, where to forward them to, what level of screening you have on your calls (I have it set so that if an incoming number isn't in my address book, they have to say their name and I get to screen the call first), and so on.

Hmmm, well I have an Android but I don't see GV built in. I guess I'll download the app and see where to go from there. Thanks!

mollipen

Hmmm, well I have an Android but I don't see GV built in. I guess I'll download the app and see where to go from there. Thanks!

I was under the assumption that, by default, all Android phones went through Google Voice. I've never owned one, though, so I don't know for certain. Hopefully somebody who has more experience can give you better info than I can.

Merry Christmas ladies :) Anyone do anything fun? Any family/significant other's tradition? Boyfriend and I are hand making ornaments to celebrate this christmas, making eggnog bread and pretzels.

Platy

For me the only christmas traditions are the "and how about boyfriends" and the classic "so are working on anything ?" "i'm working as a freelance artist !" "..but how about real work ?"

...merry christmas for you all =P

Kisaya

Hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas :)

My family doesn't celebrate it but for some reason everyone is gathered here today, even my cousin came over >:[
Hope they all go out later so I can get the house to myself >.<

iirate

Movies and a simple dinner in, doing my family Christmas stuff sometime in the next week or two as schedules just didn't align this year. Thought about getting some friends together to catch Les Mis and/or Django, but I'd rather continue to watch the snow from my room rather than venture out into it =/

mollipen

Presents were opened, A Christmas Story was watched, and now I'm taking a bit of a break before making dinner. Turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans, lima beans, cranberry sauce, fresh-baked rolls. Though, I'm kind of cheating on the turket, as it's a turkey breast roast and not a full turkey. I haven't gotten brave enough yet to attempt a proper turkey.

However, going for Christmas hot pot sounds like a fine idea one of these years! *heh*

Leeness

It was a good Christmas :)

Lots of extended family time yesterday (Christmas eve tradition) and my grandparents gave all of us $5000 each (wow). Me and my cousins and sisters. Kind of made me sad in a way (I love him a lot and though I know he has more time ahead of him, giving away inheritance is the ~beginning of the end~ I suppose). But I'm really grateful; it'll help me out immensely right now.

Today did the family tree gifts. My mommy got me a KitchenAid stand mixer which I've been coveting for a long time :D And lots of other things and such.

Then we played rummoli (I didn't know what it was at all...) all day lol. We didn't feel like going anywhere or doing anything. And I won all of the pennies :D

Merry Christmas again to you all~

Merry Christmas, GirlGAF.

Why don't you just tell them "no"?

Merry GirlGafmas!

2126083360_ebb8565416.jpg

sexy_santa_4-257x400.jpg

tumblr_mcsfnmfQPL1rvy5lko1_1280.jpg
Ho Ho Ho indeed.

Platy

It will only starts here in theaters in 2 weeks =/

But I saw ParaNorman !

The witch story got me totaly off guard and I got all teared up ='(

Beautiful movie

I've seen both Wreck It and paranorman.

Loved paranorman, the twist made me teary eyed. For some reason I didn't care for WWreck It Ralph, I think it's because I found Sarah Silverman's character unlikable and annoying :/
I liked Ralph and the townspeople in his game though.

Opiate

So a point of contention with my girlfriend: which culture produces the most beautiful wedding dresses?

India:

Indian-Wedding-Dresses2.jpg

Japan:

japanese,kimono,pink,traditional,costume,wedding,dress-c4191cc2d2c20fba3aa596c08dbcaf32_h.jpg

China:

220px-TraditionalChineseWeddingDress.jpg

Europe/US:

Best-Princess%E2%80%99s-Wedding-Gown-3.jpg

Any other entrants would be welcome.

Definitely Europe/US, but I guess it really comes down to where you grew up. At least for me.

Edit: More clarification:

India - I think it's too flashy. Too many things that reflect in the light; too much distracts from the woman.
Japan - Overly dressed/too much clothing in all the wrong places. I mean, having those things on the arms seem silly.
China - headdress is eh, and I think it's too baggy.

Emitan

I would like China's more without that headdress thing.

The Japanese kimono's design is too busy IMO.

I'm not a fan of gold so I dislike Indian fashion in general.

Yup, the western style is my favorite.

A.E Suggs

Being attractive is a gift and a curse it seems(maybe worst if your female,i'm male by the way) I get hit on a often in certain area's as well so I kinda see where your coming from(especially malls and metro/subways,etc). The thing is with me telling them no or any version of it is like me automatically being mean. I don't really care about people putting me on the spot by being loud on the subway or whatever i'm used to it and know why some do it, but telling females no isn't the easiest thing to do. Telling other gay dudes no when/if they find out i'm bi is even worst lol.

So a point of contention with my girlfriend: which culture produces the most beautiful wedding dresses?

India:

Indian-Wedding-Dresses2.jpg

Europe/US:

Best-Princess%E2%80%99s-Wedding-Gown-3.jpg

Any other entrants would be welcome.
I've seen some good one's from all of them but india and western seems to be the best imo.

mollipen

I think if you're going for awe-inspiring for a wedding dress, nothing beats Western. Those types of wedding dresses are often a fantastic mix of simplicity and extravagance. If you're going for tradition or style, however, I love the various options of other cultures. I think where Western wedding dresses win is that they're so very different from what a bride would wear during her normal life, where as in other cultures, their wedding dresses are more akin to something you might.

I also adore that example of traditional Japanese wedding kimonos. The color, the design, the accessories&#8212;ugh, it's killing me from how wonderful it is! However, Japanese weddings are far more Western these days, and among younger people, I wouldn't be surprised if more Japanese brides and grooms now wear more Western outfits than they do Japanese choices. Guests to the wedding, though, are still typically kimonos for the women.

Kisaya

Being attractive is a gift and a curse it seems(maybe worst if your female,i'm male by the way) I get hit on a often in certain area's as well so I kinda see where your coming from(especially malls and metro/subways,etc). The thing is with me telling them no or any version of it is like me automatically being mean. I don't really care about people putting me on the spot by being loud on the subway or whatever i'm used to it and know why some do it, but telling females no isn't the easiest thing to do. Telling other gay dudes no when/if they find out i'm bi is even worst lol.

I don't have a problem with saying no to random guys at the subway/bus, but my problem takes place in environments such as work and school (lol, okay not really school), and these are also guys who I see regularly and get along with. So once it comes to a point where we're pretty friendly they take it a step further to ask for my number, which I'm not so comfortable giving but at the same time sort of feel bad if I say "no."

Ugh, why do I care so much :< That's the real problem.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I also adore that example of traditional Japanese wedding kimonos. The color, the design, the accessories—ugh, it's killing me from how wonderful it is! However, Japanese weddings are far more Western these days, and among younger people, I wouldn't be surprised if more Japanese brides and grooms now wear more Western outfits than they do Japanese choices. Guests to the wedding, though, are still typically kimonos for the women.

The bride at Japanese weddings is likely to wear both traditional and Western stuff. It's no wonder Japanese weddings cost around $300k. (Though I think they usually rent the kimonos and wear them mostly for pictures, because who has room to keep that in your apartment?)

Personally I'm not a huge fan of any traditional stuff, especially traditional white wedding dresses. I would probably not wear a white dress to my own wedding, I'd prefer something that is more red or blue with gold. :eek:

Emitan

The bride at Japanese weddings is likely to wear both traditional and Western stuff. It's no wonder Japanese weddings cost around $300k. (Though I think they usually rent the kimonos and wear them mostly for pictures, because who has room to keep that in your apartment?)

Personally I'm not a huge fan of any traditional stuff, especially traditional white wedding dresses. I would probably not wear a white dress to my own wedding, I'd prefer something that is more red or blue with gold. :eek:

What. What. WHAT!?

Zoe

Yeah, in the first Japanese wedding I went to, they switched to traditional about halfway through. They had the actual ceremony (family only) in the morning.

The second wedding we went to, they stayed in Western the whole time, but it was also like the third or so ceremony that they had after a traditional one and one in Italy :lol

Kisaya

In Yemeni weddings, there are like 7 parties before the actual wedding day, so they go through a million dresses. The last is always the western dress though :p
My particular favorite is this dress they wear for the henna party, but I can't seem to find a good pic :l Here's one thats similar of a Yemeni bride:

B7FlI.jpg

Top Bottom