• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

A.E Suggs

I don't have a problem with saying no to random guys at the subway/bus, but my problem takes place in environments such as work and school (lol, okay not really school), and these are also guys who I see regularly and get along with. So once it comes to a point where we're pretty friendly they take it a step further to ask for my number, which I'm not so comfortable giving but at the same time sort of feel bad if I say "no."

Ugh, why do I care so much :< That's the real problem.

Best advice you could have given yourself lol. Then again depending on the area and who you are I guess it is something to a person should care about.

mollipen

The bride at Japanese weddings is likely to wear both traditional and Western stuff. It's no wonder Japanese weddings cost around $300k. (Though I think they usually rent the kimonos and wear them mostly for pictures, because who has room to keep that in your apartment?)

Yeah, it all depends on the person. Just speaking anecdotally, from the five or so people I know of in Japan who got married in the last 4~5 years, only one of them wore a kimono as part of the ceremony. For all of the rest of them, they only did Western-style dresses. Changing dresses during the ceremony is indeed common.

And yeah, you can rent the kimonos, or it can be something that's part of your family (like in the case of the person that I know). Also&#8212;just as a bit of trivia&#8212;the sleeves on the kimono tell you the status of the person. Shorter sleeves are for the bride, or for those women who are married; longer sleeves (like in the photo above) are for women who are single.

As for pricing, they can definitely get around $300,000, but they can also be as "low" as $15K~$20K or so. The thing is, guests at weddings pay money toward the wedding&#8212;$300 per person is the standard in the circles that I've been in, but I'm not sure to what degree that could vary depending on person, area, or ceremony level. So, with that, the direct cost the couple/family pays isn't exactly the quoted price, since guests help with a decent chunk of that.

suzu

In Chinese weddings (well, all the ones I've been to) the bride changed dresses a few times. They always had traditional dresses, modern chinese dresses, and the white wedding dress. Btw, the headdress varies. I've never seen the big ol' blue one in person before. lol

Prax

Vietnamese dresses rock~!

Well, certain types. I want one made for me and have to get on that soon.. ;___;

wyr3921.jpg
aodai0557.jpg
3_copy009.jpg

Look classy and WEAR PANTS? YES!!!
The halo hat is also such a cool plus.
And they mostly cost under 500 (sometimes under 200) to make.

I'm going to have a lot of blues in mine though, because that's my fave colour.

The real question is which style is the most comfortable to wear. Fuck that discomfort for the sake of fashion/tradition bullshit.
The bride at Japanese weddings is likely to wear both traditional and Western stuff. It's no wonder Japanese weddings cost around $300k. (Though I think they usually rent the kimonos and wear them mostly for pictures, because who has room to keep that in your apartment?)

Personally I'm not a huge fan of any traditional stuff, especially traditional white wedding dresses. I would probably not wear a white dress to my own wedding, I'd prefer something that is more red or blue with gold. :eek:
I think we found the real culprit behind Japan's birth rate issue.

Vietnamese dresses rock~!

Well, certain types. I want one made for me and have to get on that soon.. ;___;
Look classy and WEAR PANTS? YES!!!
The halo hat is also such a cool plus.
And they mostly cost under 500 (sometimes under 200) to make.

I'm going to have a lot of blues in mine though, because that's my fave colour.

:O yess! I love Ao dais! I had a couple made up when I was over there. The pants are so comfy, and the fabrics are so soft. Sadly (maybe?) my chest has grown significantly since I bought it and last time I tried to button it up it ripped ;.;

Ashes

Banned
The real question is which style is the most comfortable to wear. Fuck that discomfort for the sake of fashion/tradition bullshit.

I think we found the real culprit behind Japan's birth rate issue.

On a serious note; it's quite an achievement to have the work/life balance so fundamentally fucked that it screws over the national birthrate.

On a serious note; it's quite an achievement to have the work/life balance so fundamentally fucked that it screws over the national birthrate.
I think the country's gender politics have a lot more to do w/the declining birthrate than the crappy work/life balance in their corporate world.

hmm... Interesting... care to elaborate?
I get the impression that a lot of women are choosing to not settle down and/or to delay marriage/children until they're older (relative to previous generations) because they prefer to freedom that comes w/being single. I think there is a lot more pressure on women to focus inward on the family/household once you're married and not have as much of a life outside in Japan, compared to the West. I'm no expert though, I just always think of my co-worker in Nara, a 40-ish mother of two, and how much she resented the second shift and how little she seemed to be able to get out and do things for herself. Obviously, these are still huge problems in the Western world as well, but I think social expectations might be a bit stricter in Japan than over here.

Devolution, that avatar.
It's a thing of beauty.

Ashes

Banned
I get the impression that a lot of women are choosing to not settle down and/or to delay marriage/children until they're older (relative to previous generations) because they prefer to freedom that comes w/being single. I think there is a lot more pressure on women to focus inward on the family/household once you're married and not have as much of a life outside in Japan, compared to the West. I'm no expert though, I just always think of my co-worker in Nara, a 40-ish mother of two, and how much she resented the second shift and how little she seemed to be able to get out and do things for herself. Obviously, these are still huge problems in the Western world as well, but I think social expectations might be a bit stricter in Japan than over here.

ha ha. That was kinda what I was thinking when I said work/life balance.. :p

Thanks for the perspective. There was a time, I used to read Japanese blogs/youtube in English about life in Japan, so as to write a short story about the influence of careers to either sex, and it was hard to gage how much blogs relate to real life. Especially for a country, where people tend to keep to themselves. And that mentality tends to warp statistics like mental health.
Depression is the other big thing in Japan, from what I could ascertain. Well, at least, it surprised me. The statistics suggest it is similar to other western nations, but the suicide rate in Japan is one of the highest in the world.

I think the country's gender politics have a lot more to do w/the declining birthrate than the crappy work/life balance in their corporate world.

Actually birth rate in Japan is not that different from rest of the developed world. On par with countries like Germany, Italy and Austria(not to mention that those countries have a lot more first generation immigrants that boost birth rates). I think it has more to do just how developed countries work. And don't ask where I came! Just happened to browse this thread and noticed this general stereotype that Japan has extraordinary low birth rate which really is not completely true.

Actually birth rate in Japan is not that different from rest of the developed world. On par with countries like Germany, Italy and Austria(not to mention that those countries have a lot more first generation immigrants that boost birth rates). I think it has more to do just how developed countries work. And don't ask where I came! Just happened to browse this thread and noticed this general stereotype that Japan has extraordinary low birth rate which really is not completely true.
Japan has a declining birthrate =/= Japan's birthrate is different from similarly developed countries. Japan has a declining birthrate =/= Japan's birthrate is extraordinarily low. Japan could have a declining birthrate and still be comparable to many other countries with healthy birthrates, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Boyfriend and I decided to watch hachi this evening for the first time. I've never cried so much during and after a film and I've seen a lot of films. It's been 30 minutes and I still can't stop sobbing. The only movie close to this in terms of making me cry a lot was Millenium Actress

Kisaya

happy new year girl gaf, hope your night was as great as much as mine was

dont feel bad about spending money on clothes cause thats the best to spend it on imo

Samara

I also own two dresses but they have to be worn with a pettiecoat since they‘re from the 50s.

the rest are shirtdresses...or dresshirt i dont know. They are great to make. transition. Just wear leggings or stocking underneath.

oh I have a sundress from the 70s that has a nipple buttons in it. They are like 2 heavy quarters in the bra...why?

A.E Suggs

I agree that's why you don't do it for that, you do it because it looks good :D. Which is what people usually want to do when dressing up for a wedding.(well at least the weddings I've been to anyway :/ )

You don't find my fedora and pokemon shirt sexy?

Does it have squirtle on it? I will give you an answer after that.

Edit: Damnit Devo gone and got yourself time off. Now I want get a reply before the week is out and I may not be on at all next week :(.

Top Bottom