• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Ashes

Banned
coolest cat lady ever.

Anyways, met a feminist new year's eve, tried to buy me a drink.
I said, why not be equal? let me buy you one, and you can buy me one?
She said, be a man, let me buy you one.
Ahem.. if you can buy me a drink at your loss, then it's unequal; why am I asking for more equality than a feminist..? in that respect, we might as well stick to the status quo... so I handed a twenty, round the back..
She didn't look very happy... What's up with that?

/gender politics 2013 style.

coolest cat lady ever.

Ahem.. if you can buy me a drink at your loss, then it's unequal; why am I asking for more equality than a feminist..? in that respect, we might as well stick to the status quo... so I handed a twenty, round the back..

That's not being a feminist, that's being obnoxious. Feminist has to do with equality, of course there are radicals in any groups (conservatives, liberals,religious groups, vegans/vegetarians), but that doesn't mean they are really acting under those beliefs, they are skewing it so much to the point that they are really just jackasses with an excuse for being one. Am I a feminist? Of course, I'm one for equality. It's sad to see the stigma that words has now, especially considering it is only advocating equality. There has always been stigma for the word, probably due to prejudice from the beginning and now at this point, it's almost considered an insult. It's disheartening seeing a lot of female celebrities actively campaigning that they are not feminists (ke$ha and Katy perry recently). Perhaps if they embraced the word that may help the negative stigma, especially Ke$ha considering many of her interviews lend themselves toward that viewpoint.

And on topic about dresses, I believe I have about 19 or so dresses, (with 4 extra dresses that I'm currently selling) but I need more, hoping to get some in upcoming weeks. looking for a new one with sequins and something casual. I also have two that I need to get tailored, they were a little big for me when I bought them and haven't gotten to wear them yet. There's a specific dress that sold out that I'm looking for EVERYWHERE, but am having no luck :(I absolutely love lace and love brown dresses, this dress is like my dream dress :( it's by Mystic and if anyone ever finds it I would pay good money for it. GOOD MONEY.
cdc0169b0807f004d73247e03dfb5fc7.jpg

my christmas/birthday haul were these:
Dresses:
I also have this one in a bright blue
a74f7c3bcba242d64e0aa32e9cf01b6b.jpg

I want to get this in also navy and black eventually (hopefully when it goes on sale)
25391327_061_b

modcloth-black-golds-in-mind-dress-product-1-5570052-120869104_large_flex.jpeg

Shoes:
3ee27ddff2ebbca342fa37073673ce91.jpg

835bc9afda3188ee54cb54f2a42b1e27_large.jpg

9065d360fc557ebbcbf7da76b497c3df.jpg

modcloth-copper-a-night-to-remember-flat-in-copper-product-1-4623775-577059038_large_flex.jpeg

img-thing

img-thing

I'm aware I may have a problem, but I've ony recently been buying shoes, I didnt have many from moving (about 2-3 shoes) so I'm trying to stock up again. Also, I usually wait until big sales, labor day or getting rid of seasonal items and then I go crazy!

Platy

I wonder if that pocket can hold a real cat ....

coolest cat lady ever.

You wanting to also buy her a drink sounded like you were negating her right to buy you a drink, wich makes it looks like you think that being bought a drink is something demeaning since it makes you the passive part of the relationship, wich there is absolutly nothing wrong with it.

Feminists, like any other minority, are kinda used to take things at the defensive, se even a small harmless action can sound like "what ? you are against ME ???" kind of stuff...
Also, feminists are pretty much used to those "i'm not feminist, i'm equalitarian" people that exists a lot, even on gaf...

Leaving to go clothes shopping :)

Yay! Post pictures of what you got! :)
I have that black dress, as well!

Do you shop at modcloth? I recently ordered the black but had to return it because the neck line was wonky. I got an exchange so hopefully it will be better. I LOVE my blue version and was even more in love with the black, so I hope the next one is ok :(.

I also bought from tulle for the first time and made a huge mistake with the sizing. I'm typically a medium but their stuff is huge. I purchased these:
A coat with the same pattern as this but longer, a different collar, and a belt
1d713f88d6749c7aa53eefc5208988b5.jpg

Sadly I will have to either sell it or get it tailored because its so huge and unflattering, but the pattern is so unique. I'm really hoping I can save it.

And this in black. I would've killed for the orange but it didn't fit me anyways so I'll have to sell it
wide-collar-sweater-coat-tulle75.jpg

Do you shop at modcloth? I recently ordered the black but had to return it because the neck line was wonky. I got an exchange so hopefully it will be better. I LOVE my blue version and was even more in love with the black, so I hope the next one is ok :(.
I highly doubt it's from that, although it was a gift.

I was starting to think I was crazy being the only one with more than 2 dresses... although I don't wanna count them.

Ashes

Banned
That's not being a femenist, that's being obnoxious. Femenist has to do with equality, of course there are radicals in any groups (conservatives, liberals,religious groups, vegans/vegetarians), but that doesn't mean they are really acting under those beliefs, they are skewing it so much to the point that they are really just jackasses with an excuse for being one. Am I a feminist? Of course, I'm one for equality. It's sad to see the stigma that words has now, especially considering it is only advocating equality. There has always been stigma for the word, probably due to prejudice from the beginning and now at this point, it's almost considered an insult. It's disheartening seeing a lot of female celebrities actively campaigning that they are not feminists (ke$ha and Katy perry recently). Perhaps if they embraced the word that may help the negative stigma, especially Ke$ha considering many of her interviews lend themselves toward that viewpoint.

Interesting... I think I agree with you. We moved on pretty quickly and it was more or less equal er after that...

You wanting to also buy her a drink sounded like you were negating her right to buy you a drink, which makes it looks like you think that being bought a drink is something demeaning since it makes you the passive part of the relationship, which there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Feminists, like any other minority, are kinda used to take things at the defensive, se even a small harmless action can sound like "what ? you are against ME ???" kind of stuff...

Oh I don't know. I mean you make sense... and maybe there's some truth to it.

I highly doubt it's from that, although it was a gift.

I was starting to think I was crazy being the only one with more than 2 dresses... although I don't wanna count them.
Being an fine arts major, I never got to wear any fancy outfits, I only had jeans and tank tops because everything would get ruined. Since I've graduated last year, I've put in a lot of effort to buy more nice dresses for myself. Before this year, I hadnt worn a dress in at least seven years. Never realized I'd enjoy it so much. I like to mix the feminine look with a more hardened look, boots and short hair. Vegan leather and parkas. I need to start going to goodwills near boston, see what I can find.

Interesting... I think I agree with you. We moved on pretty quickly and it was more or less equal er after that...
Oh I don't know. I mean you make sense... and maybe there's some truth to it.
When I was younger, I would always say, "I'm not a feminist, I believe in equality." Getting older and researching more, I've come to realize I was also part of the problem and now am actively trying to change that. I dislike how social stigma can skew the way I think, which makes me wonder how many girls growing up must feel the way I did.

Arsenic I just wanted to chime in and tell you I love your style. How much were those dresses?
Please say around $50....please say around $50 D:

Ashes

Banned
When I was younger, I would always say, "I'm not a feminist, I believe in equality." Getting older and researching more, I've come to realize I was also part of the problem and now am actively trying to change that. I dislike how social stigma can skew the way I think, which makes me wonder how many girls growing up must feel the way I did.

hmm. Yeah. I guess I'm good with positive social justice movements... just not when I'm on the other side... ha ha.

Who knows... maybe some people latch on to these small things when others may overlook it. She was pretty cool across the board tbh. Anyway, just something that was different, so it stuck out.

edit: Real pic is back? oh.. meh. fuck it. Not gonna participate this year. Enjoy the various threads..

Arsenic I just wanted to chime in and tell you I love your style. How much were those dresses?
Please say around $50....please say around $50 D:

The black one was 98, though I got it on sale for 70, the brown one that i'm looking for is 59. The yellow and black one is 80, but I got for 40. Those were all from modcloth, as well as all of the shoes. The red one is 60 at urban outfitters.

Leeness

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Only kind of fashion I can get behind! Except the watch lol. I never wear watches. But that shirt is so cute.

Arsenic, I'm so jelly of your fashion! I wish I could wear beautiful things like that.

I actually never wear watches either, but I couldn't resist that one. I'll probably pair it with some bracelets.

On the subject of dresses... I own about 5, not including my wedding dress, which is damaged and I'll probably never wear it again anyway :p
It takes me a long time to find a dress that fits. Most styles either don't accomodate my bust or they do and then drape like a tent over the rest of me. I have to go for bodycon/stretchy material, that's about it.

I actually never wear watches either, but I couldn't resist that one. I'll probably pair it with some bracelets.

On the subject of dresses... I own about 5, not including my wedding dress, which is damaged and I'll probably never wear it again anyway :p
It takes me a long time to find a dress that fits. Most styles either don't accomodate my bust or they do and then drape like a tent over the rest of me. I have to go for bodycon/stretchy material, that's about it.

Actually most of the dresses I have flatter my bust (34 f) and general hourglass figure. Retro dresses in general seem to flatter a curvier figure.

Leeness

Actually most of the dresses I have flatter my bust (34 f) and general hourglass figure. Retro dresses in general seem to flatter a curvier figure.

I've tried a bunch and they all look... super unflattering on me. I'm just not fit for dresses. :< Or most other things. Jeans and shirt and sweatshirt! Haha.

Emitan

Didn't buy any clothes because this store was very... flamboyant. Bought a wig though! And took a few pictures of myself in a wig with makeup on!

@ Arsenic, I really like your dream dress. I'd love to wear that, but most likely with leggings until I'm confident enough in my legs. Hope you find it!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Speaking of clothes, got these today:

polkadotoutfits_zpsd8d0e74f.jpg

One is a full dress and one is a top only, despite the fact that the top half looks the same. I wanted to mix and match my polka dots. :eek:

No one else seems to like the polka dots, but I do!

mollipen

Arsenic - Love love love a lot of the items you posted above, especially the first two pairs of shoes. AAAAHH so adorable! We're definitely on some similar wavelengths style-wise.

Arsenic - Love love love a lot of the items you posted above, especially the first two pairs of shoes. AAAAHH so adorable! We're definitely on some similar wavelengths style-wise.

Poetic Licence is my favorite shoe brand. I have waaaay too much of their stuff on my wishlist. I'm getting those pair in red, yellow, and black as well. There is a green version of it, but I'm undecided if I should get them or not. We all know I'll get them and that I'm just lying to myself.

hmm. Yeah. I guess I'm good with positive social justice movements... just not when I'm on the other side... ha ha.

Who knows... maybe some people latch on to these small things when others may overlook it. She was pretty cool across the board tbh. Anyway, just something that was different, so it stuck out.

edit: Real pic is back? oh.. meh. fuck it. Not gonna participate this year. Enjoy the various threads..

I think it's pretty much that and I think you're thinking way too deep into it. I know some women I dated get frustrate because some people they dated never let them pay and so they don't feel on equal footing and don't like it and I think by you also suggesting to buy a drink you were sort of eliminating their gesture to buying you a drink. I think you just thought way too much into it, if a chick wants to buy you a drink, just let her buy you a drink. It probably would have been fine if got her drink and then talked with her for a while and then bought her one since it's less of a reaction directly to her buying you one. Some women it bothers, some it doesn't, just is what it is. Seems silly to dig deeper into it than that.

Satch

Banned
I think it's pretty much that and I think you're thinking way too deep into it. I know some women I dated get frustrate because some people they dated never let them pay and so they don't feel on equal footing and don't like it and I think by you also suggesting to buy a drink you were sort of eliminating their gesture to buying you a drink. I think you just thought way too much into it, if a chick wants to buy you a drink, just let her buy you a drink. It probably would have been fine if got her drink and then talked with her for a while and then bought her one since it's less of a reaction directly to her buying you one. Some women it bothers, some it doesn't, just is what it is. Seems silly to dig deeper into it than that.

<3

Ashes

Banned

hmm... fair enough. ;)

I'll remember that if I see her again.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
And on topic about dresses, I believe I have about 19 or so dresses, (with 4 extra dresses that I'm currently selling) but I need more, hoping to get some in upcoming weeks. looking for a new one with sequins and something casual. I also have two that I need to get tailored, they were a little big for me when I bought them and haven't gotten to wear them yet. There's a specific dress that sold out that I'm looking for EVERYWHERE, but am having no luck :(I absolutely love lace and love brown dresses, this dress is like my dream dress :( it's by Mystic and if anyone ever finds it I would pay good money for it. GOOD MONEY.

my christmas/birthday haul were these:

I'm aware I may have a problem, but I've ony recently been buying shoes, I didnt have many from moving (about 2-3 shoes) so I'm trying to stock up again. Also, I usually wait until big sales, labor day or getting rid of seasonal items and then I go crazy!

Wish I could wear dresses like those here all year around but it doesn't get that warm in here. Summer only stays for 3 or so months rest of the year its so miserable and cold, well cold for me anyway! I see so many girls wearing mini skirts with bare legs when its snowing outside! I'm covered in thick coats, scarves, jeans with thick knee length socks inside and calve/knee length boots. I need a new coat, mine is looking quite old-ish now.

Love both of these, especially the red one. Not sure if I could pull of the colour though. On the subject of dresses, I have fucking loads (just counted in my wardrobe - 58). Some of them haven't been worn for years though, I need to do a clear out. I mainly wear them on nights out but I have a couple of summery ones that don't get much use, because the weather here is crappy. There's at least a few I can't fit into anymore, though I've been hanging on to them because I love them too much haha.

Wish I could wear dresses like those here all year around but it doesn't get that warm in here. Summer only stays for 3 or so months rest of the year its so miserable and cold, well cold for me anyway! I see so many girls wearing mini skirts with bare legs when its snowing outside! I'm covered in thick coats, scarves, jeans with thick knee length socks inside and calve/knee length boots. I need a new coat, mine is looking quite old-ish now.

lol is your boyfriend choking you?

I wear tights in the fall and fleece tights (much thicker) in the winter. Being from the Deep South now living in the northeast, I'm not even close to acclimation yet :(

A.E Suggs

I do as well and thanks to Arsenic I've found a shoe site that made getting my sister shoes for christmas a whole lot easier. It also seems that maybe I need to start coming to Arsenic for females fashion advice, I'll never screw up gifts again!lol

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
YBQUa.jpg

With a big bust, I was never able to find any shift silhouette dresses that suited me and I always lamented it because I find them so classic and chic. They always tended to make my bust look like a shelf, blah.

Last week, though, somehow I managed to find one on sale that I could just squeeze into without it draping over me. I was so excited! And on sale too!

It looks like this, but with an embellished collar and opaque sleeves:

Dress shopping is a pain, but sometimes you get lucky :) Lesson learned: don't write off all styles universally, try stuff on if you like it!

edit: on another note, what do you gals think of pairing brown boots/pumps with a black dress like the one above? I know there is some old fashion rule that says you shouldn't pair black with brown accessories, and though I know those "rules" are silly sometimes I still hesitate on brown and reach for the black shoes when I'm wearing black...

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I prefer empire, high waist, sheath, and princess myself. Tunic sometimes, depending on the material.

Can't wear anything that hangs off my chest or else I look like bag.

edit: on another note, what do you gals think of pairing brown boots/pumps with a black dress like the one above? I know there is some old fashion rule that says you shouldn't pair black with brown accessories, and though I know those "rules" are silly sometimes I still hesitate on brown and reach for the black shoes when I'm wearing black...

Looks nice to me! There is also an old rule that says your shoes and bag must be the same color (a rule my completely not fashion-conscious mother uses.) I've discarded that one, along with a ton of other fashion "don'ts". If I like it, I work with it.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Looks nice to me! There is also an old rule that says your shoes and bag must be the same color (a rule my completely not fashion-conscious mother uses.) I've discarded that one, along with a ton of other fashion "don'ts". If I like it, I work with it.

Yeah I almost never heed the bag and shoe rule. My bag right now is sort of a cream-tan leather and I don't have any shoes that colour. Still works with almost all my outfits. I think a bag can be coordinated with other things in your outfit, like your coat or jewelry. I really like pairing the colour of my bag's hardware with the colour of my jewelry (gold, silver, brass etc.)

Thanks for all the fashion compliments guys! I've never really dressed nicely until this year, so I always worry about my taste. It doesn't stop me though. I've got some modcloth credit coming in from returns, so next time I'll post myself wearing the new clothes I get :)

Due to my bust, I have yet to find any shift, tent, yoke, empire, high waist dresses that work for me. I mostly gravitate towards A-line, princess or asymetric. I disappoint myself constantly by trying on other types of dresses.

About the brown, do whatever you want! I mix black and brown all the time, but I've never really stuck with any rules (aside from not using too many conflicting patterns or loud colors that seriously clash).

I also found out modcloth has a contest to win a years worth of dresses.... its a video contest. I'm very tempted to enter.

Leeness

The only kind that even look remotely okay on me are the asymmetrical closing ones. And those still look really bad haha.

Ezalc

Speaking of clothes, got these today:

polkadotoutfits_zpsd8d0e74f.jpg

One is a full dress and one is a top only, despite the fact that the top half looks the same. I wanted to mix and match my polka dots. :eek:

tumblr_m7zkjofYRj1rt41nb.gif

Devolution got banned. :\ I suppose she was overdue.

What did she do? Was it the same thread that Timedog got banned in?

Guys >< I found an awesome shop online.http://blackmilkclothing.com/

I like how Star Wars gets it's own category.

I only get colds around my period.
Aww geez, that sucks. My sympathies.

Ezalc, why did you change your avatar? I got quite attached to that little girl. I just imagined that everything you posted was coming from her and that you were perpetually pissed off and/or disgusted with GAF.

Emitan

If I didn't know what Leeness looked like I would assume from her posts that she's an amorphous lump of Play Dough.

Do they make dresses that fit girls that look like football players? ;~;

:O everything you got looks gorgeous!
I really need to stock up on shoes as well. Most of mine are getting a little worn on the bottom.
Girls not understanding what feminism means and rejecting it because of the negative connotations associated with it bother me almost as much as girls who don't understand how bra sizes work.

Katy Perry and Kesha being "anti feminist" really surprises me tbh. Even by the "girl power" standards, both of them are singing to that tune.

I love them!!

Devolution got banned. : I suppose she was overdue.
Oh no! :( worse time to get banned, what with realpic happening.

Top Bottom