• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
When I was younger, I would always say, "I'm not a feminist, I believe in equality." Getting older and researching more, I've come to realize I was also part of the problem and now am actively trying to change that. I dislike how social stigma can skew the way I think, which makes me wonder how many girls growing up must feel the way I did.
Yeah I don't get this, similar thing happened to the "atheist" label, to the point where a lot of atheists are scared to self-proclaim themselves as atheists, and try to make up a bunch of labels that more or less mean the same exact thing.:p

That said, as a male, I don't really like labeling myself a feminist, the same way I don't like labeling myself as a nice guy, mainly due to my self-effacing personality, where I'm not so sure if I really live up to any of those labels, despite having strong opinions on feminist issues and so on.

If you want to read more about Devo's ban you can always check the realgaf IRC channel. It's just a week, though.

You have not been clothes shopping with me then :p It's impossible. Haha.
Reading you say stuff like this while you have a realpic avatar is stuuuupid.

And on that note:
Never fear, science is here.

Person A from girlGAF collects several email addresses of the other members, those who wish to be part of the ratings board. They could set up new accounts expressly for this purpose I suppose, if they felt like their normal address would give them away. Without indicating identities, A sends a list of these addresses to Cyan (who is the same person as Ronito secretly, as we all know), who only counts votes that come from those addresses.

When are we doing this?

Opiate

When I was younger, I would always say, "I'm not a feminist, I believe in equality." Getting older and researching more, I've come to realize I was also part of the problem and now am actively trying to change that. I dislike how social stigma can skew the way I think, which makes me wonder how many girls growing up must feel the way I did.

Oh man, you should not get in to neuroscience research. Every time scientists lower the bar on how easy people are to influence and persuade, people still keep finding a way to drop the bar lower.

Based on my classes and study, in short: you and I and everyone are influenced enormously by other people in ways we don't and never will consciously fathom, let alone in the obvious ways like the stigmatization of "feminist" or "atheist" or "liberal." I absolutely agree that it's intensely frustrating -- and even frightening -- but the science is pretty clear cut on how pathetically bad we are at forming our own thoughts independent of outside influence. Everything from your perceptions of beauty to your taste in video games were mostly created by outside influence.

Ashes

Banned
Hence why one makes it a habit to challenge everything. Even if by challenging, you arrive back to your starting point.

Oh man, you should not get in to neuroscience research. Every time scientists lower the bar on how easy people are to influence and persuade, people still keep finding a way to drop the bar lower.

Based on my classes and study, in short: you and I and everyone are influenced enormously by other people in ways we don't and never will consciously fathom, let alone in the obvious ways like the stigmatization of "feminist" or "atheist" or "liberal." I absolutely agree that it's intensely frustrating -- and even frightening -- but the science is pretty clear cut on how pathetically bad we are at forming our own thoughts independent of outside influence. Everything from your perceptions of beauty to your taste in video games were mostly created by outside influence.

PerhapsPeterGriffin.jpg

Why do you crush my dreams?

And yeah, I can definitely see that to be the case, though does it stay to the same degree as you age? I'd be very interested to see if age plays a factor.

If that sentence doesn't make sense, its because I just woke up.

A.E Suggs

If you want to read more about Devo's ban you can always check the realgaf IRC channel. It's just a week, though.
Where is that at? The IRC channel I mean.

This is the way I kinda feel, I dont wanna derail their thread with my feeling on it though.

Oh god your hair is adorable.

Thank you very much!

I finally cut it over winter break after letting it grow for 19 years (my whole life). I love it so, so much! It only takes a couple hours to dry (if I don't towel dry it) compared to the 2 days it used to. It's growing back really quickly though, haha.

Ezalc

Ezalc, why did you change your avatar? I got quite attached to that little girl. I just imagined that everything you posted was coming from her and that you were perpetually pissed off and/or disgusted with GAF.

I think that was a little boy. In part because I was going to change it for RPJanuary, but then I saw somebody making these cool pixel ones and I couldn't resist asking for a Schwarz avatar. Also, I think Schwarz keeps up my disgust/anger at the things I read in GAF. I'll switch to my actual pic next week and eventually go back to the little kid.

mollipen

Thank you very much!

I finally cut it over winter break after letting it grow for 19 years (my whole life). I love it so, so much! It only takes a couple hours to dry (if I don't towel dry it) compared to the 2 days it used to. It's growing back really quickly though, haha.

Ah, the joys of curly hair. I can't use a hair dry, or do much drying via a towel (even when using a microfiber one), else mine gets frizzy so easily. So, I have to walk around with wet hair for hours.

Nowhere near as bad as you seem to have it, of course.

Ah, the joys of curly hair. I can't use a hair dry, or do much drying via a towel (even when using a microfiber one), else mine gets frizzy so easily. So, I have to walk around with wet hair for hours.

Nowhere near as bad as you seem to have it, of course.

I prefer letting mine air dry because the curl patterns stay much better, but I know the pains of frizzy, dry, curly hair.

Trust me.

I have always had naturally straight hair. Straight to the point where I style it, and no matter how much product is in it, three hours later it's flat again - and that's the longest it's ever held.

Anyway, one day, when I was a kid, I decided to crimp my hair, as was the style at the time.

For the three hours that my hair held - with a full tube of hair gel, I might add - it was the most ghastly thing anyone had ever seen on an 11-year-old.

I still wonder if that hair scared away what few friends I had left at the time.

I have always had naturally straight hair. Straight to the point where I style it, and no matter how much product is in it, three hours later it's flat again - and that's the longest it's ever held.

Anyway, one day, when I was a kid, I decided to crimp my hair, as was the style at the time.

For the three hours that my hair held - with a full tube of hair gel, I might add - it was the most ghastly thing anyone had ever seen on an 11-year-old.

I still wonder if that hair scared away what few friends I had left at the time.

C'mon, crimped hair was the shit. I was too poor to own a crimper at the height of its glory, so I used to braid my hair super tight at night then unleash it in the morning, simulated and held fast in glorious ridges by a cloud of flammable aerosol spray. Needless to say, I too was soon friendless. :)

Oh god I think I have a UTI and it's making me feel crappy. I've peed about 10 times in the past couple of hours and I constantly feel the need to go. Drinking a fuck ton of fluids (water, cranberry juice and tea) and I tried to drink some cystitis relief stuff but holy shit it was like drinking chalk, thought I was going to be sick. Took some paracetamol as well. Will make a doctors appointment tomorrow if it doesn't go away. This is just a vent really but if anyone has any advice I'm all ears!

I think that was a little boy. In part because I was going to change it for RPJanuary, but then I saw somebody making these cool pixel ones and I couldn't resist asking for a Schwarz avatar. Also, I think Schwarz keeps up my disgust/anger at the things I read in GAF. I'll switch to my actual pic next week and eventually go back to the little kid.
I await his return! ;-)

Oh god I think I have a UTI and it's making me feel crappy. I've peed about 10 times in the past couple of hours and I constantly feel the need to go. Drinking a fuck ton of fluids (water, cranberry juice and tea) and I tried to drink some cystitis relief stuff but holy shit it was like drinking chalk, thought I was going to be sick. Took some paracetamol as well. Will make a doctors appointment tomorrow if it doesn't go away. This is just a vent really but if anyone has any advice I'm all ears!

I get utis all the time, mostly from soaps or laundry detergent or just holding my pee too long. Cranberry pills are amazing, you should be able to find them at any drug store.

Ugh. Sorry. I've never gotten one of those yet (fingers crossed), but my sister does all the time and I know they suck royally. Hope it clears up quickly for you!

I credit beer for my strong constitution, so my suggestion is to treat yourself to some suds.

H. Protag I just read that you're in Adelaide!

Are you studying or something here?

Awww, you just missed me. I knew you were in Aus, but you're in Adelaide?

I was there for Christmas to meet my (now) fiance's parents. Had a great time eating around, going to a cricket game, wine tasting, etc. Lovely home you've got there. :)

That is adorable! Congrats! o:

Thank you!

That's amazingly nerdy and super cute! Congrats!!

I couldn't believe it when I saw them. I knew he'd been working on 'something' while we talked on SKYPE for months, but I thought it was an addition to the deck that he'd built or something. :p

o

my

god

HPRO!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;____________;

tumblr_m3zqafKc0O1qfps5k.gif

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

He knows what I like, and he's a massive nerd himself. (He has a J. R. R. Tolkien tattoo...)

Holy crap. O_O That's incredible. Wow.

They really are keepsakes. He said he's making a mini-chest for them next! Yay!

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I catch uti's all the dang time. Pretty much everytime I have sex and don't pee afterwards. It's a curse I tell ye. I have no advice I'm afraid. Just lots of water and painkillers :(

H. Protag I just read that you're in Adelaide!

Are you studying or something here?
I just read that too. She doesn't want to associate with us Adelaidians ;_; (I think you're from here, yes? Or close by)

Damn, does he do that kind of stuff professionally?

Not at all! He said he used the internets and just went really, really slowly. O_O He's quite talented, though, I think

Hi girls xo

ipmEbcNiSCuN5.gif

Hi! New girl for GirlGaf?

I catch uti's all the dang time. Pretty much everytime I have sex and don't pee afterwards. It's a curse I tell ye. I have no advice I'm afraid. Just lots of water and painkillers :(

I just read that too. She doesn't want to associate with us Adelaidians ;_; (I think you're from here, yes? Or close by)

:( I had no idea any of you were even from Adelaide! Only Shan has said what part of Aus she was from or I'd of suggested a mini-meet-up. We could have had soooo many beers or local wines (Barossa!)... ;_;

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
:( I had no idea any of you were even from Adelaide! Only Shan has said what part of Aus she was from or I'd of suggested a mini-meet-up. We could have had soooo many beers or local wines (Barossa!)... ;_;

And I live in the Barossa! D: At least there's plenty of alcohol around to console me

Well wishes on your upcoming marriage, H.Protagonist. One of my best friends is getting married in October.

Will you be changing your name to H.Antagonist now?

Prax

:D

o8OHwl.jpg

Thanks!

I was super impressed. He even learned pyrography to do the designs! (which are stars and sns on the main egg)

I will never stop loving you and your Supernatural gifs. ;_;
OH MY GOSH. THAT IS AWESOME. CONGRATS!!!
...But doesn't that mean in order for you to ascend as Queen and Mother of Dragons, he has to eventually suffer some kind of demise? O___O I always worry about symbolism like that. lol

Top Bottom