• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Kimaka

I don't like to wear makeup, I'm weird like that.

also scared i'd look ugly with it on

You're not alone. I don't either. Tried it before and didn't like it. I couldn't get used to having it on my face but it was a good experience since I've always been curious about how I would look like with makeup on.

Satch

Banned
I'm not particularly sure what I should wear with it in terms of layers or pants, but I'm thinking of going with a flowing shirt with a ruffle collar and ruffled sleeves ala:

White_short_sleeve_ruffle_collar_shirt_top__86387.1301272084.1280.1280.jpg

I'll try to find the exact name of the coat later.

finally an outfit that i can get behind

I don't like to wear makeup, I'm weird like that.

also scared i'd look ugly with it on

You're not alone. I don't either. Tried it before and didn't like it. I couldn't get used to having it on my face but it was a good experience since I've always been curious about how I would look like with makeup on.
Same here! I've never worn it and I expect that I never will. It's such a turn off to me in every possible way (not judging others who like it/use it though!), though I worry sometimes that this stance might hurt me professionally. :-/

srenity

Neo Member
Hi girls!

Let's talk about makeup! What makeup brands and palettes do you guys use?

I'm just now getting into makeup and I'm overwhelmed. I have some girlfriends who are going to help me with makeup soon, though, and I honestly can't wait. I'm considering going with MAC due to their emphasis on ladies with my skin tone.
I'm usually wearing thick black eyeliner (Milani liquid liner), black mascara (Maybelline Lash Stiletto) and a little something to cover my under-eye circles (Benefit Erase Paste or Garnier Anti-Circle Roller) . On special occasions, I'd add some BB Cream, blush, and fake lashes. Although MAC is a great brand, but I found other brands that cost less but do a decent job at what it does (NYX's eyeshadows cost less and is pretty pigmented!) The only big-name brand cosmetic items I own are the Urban Decay naked palette and a NARS blush that would last a lifetime, haha. I always enjoy watching youtube videos of beauty stuffs even though I don't wear much.

Wearing makeup is all about practice. Trial and Error. Experimentation. It took me a good few years to figure out what look works for me and I'm still experimenting :]

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I think I am becoming more of a skincare nut than make-up. Recently purchased a serum for extremely dehydrated skin and man, it has mad a HUGE difference. If I had an oily skin I would be okay with just a serum, but my skin is way too dry so I have to use serum + moisturiser. Still, this serum has really gotten rid of flaky skin and now I don't have to deal with dry patches. :D

With make-up, its got all do to do with the technique, the products, your skin type and how much you use it. It is trial and error, mostly, especially at first. You can't just try it one day and say you've tried it all, and then base your opinion on that first impression. You gotta use the good and the bad (not necessarily the brand itself, it could be amazing but still not suit you if its not geared towards your skin type) to figure out what would suit your skin tone and your skin type! I got into make-up only 2 or so years ago and I'm only just now getting the hang of it.

I don't really have any favourite brands, I just try it all and see what suits me. I love lipsticks, HATE lipglosses with a passion! Was never much into eye make-up before but I'm sorta getting into it now.

suzu

I use a very light amount of concealer and foundation (sometimes). Special occasions may call for eye makeup. That's about it, haha.

TBH I have more fun putting it on other people. lol

Zoe

I'm too lazy for makeup. Probably the only salaried girl in the whole district who doesn't :lol

I'm starting to get a little self-conscious about my blushing though. Gonna see a dermatologist about rosacea in a couple of weeks.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
All my makeup products are bare escentuals. I have to get them from eBay coz they don't stock that brand in oz. They work pretty well for my skin and have helped clear up my pimples. Plus there are so many different shades you can match up so easily. I no longer have an orange tinge ^_^

Egnirys

For eyes, I'm addicted to Urban Decay's Naked. I like to add a little bit of brown or shimmer for the day. I usually wear a light foundation and blush, but I hate lipgloss so much. I would rather wear lipstick at night and just wear chapstick during the day.

Does anyone else sew? I love ModCloth but being a broke student, I don't have the funds for some of their cute dresses or blouses. My Grandma taught me how to sew when I was younger, so lately I've started sewing my own garments. I'll still spend money on shoes though. >.>

Satch

Banned
I am new, may you help me understand your meaning? Do you mean you're not fine with a lot of outfits posted in this thread or you just don't like many outfits women wear regularly? I'm sure there's something we can find that helps you with the type of style you prefer!

its the only outfit thats been posted in a while thats to my tastes

i dont need help finding clothes

apricot

All my makeup products are bare escentuals. I have to get them from eBay coz they don't stock that brand in oz. They work pretty well for my skin and have helped clear up my pimples. Plus there are so many different shades you can match up so easily. I no longer have an orange tinge ^_^

Was just going to mention bare escentuals! I hardly wear makeup at all, but when I do, all of it is this brand. For people who are worried about their face feeling "heavy" with makeup on, bare escentuals is great because it's really light. The only negative to that is it can dry up your skin a lot if you're prone to that (like me), but I just put extra moisturizer to cover my bases.

Edit: (just saw this)

Does anyone else sew? I love ModCloth but being a broke student, I don't have the funds for some of their cute dresses or blouses. My Grandma taught me how to sew when I was younger, so lately I've started sewing my own garments. I'll still spend money on shoes though. >.>

I sew little things, but I haven't done any clothes from scratch yet. I don't have a sewing machine, so... >_> That's really awesome that you sew your own clothes!

I've got enough mirrors. I definitely need less in the house haha. Once I move out, I'm gonna even cover the bathroom one so they're all gone :D
But how will you know if you get spinach between your teeth!?
Hi girls!

Let's talk about makeup! What makeup brands and palettes do you guys use?

I'm just now getting into makeup and I'm overwhelmed. I have some girlfriends who are going to help me with makeup soon, though, and I honestly can't wait. I'm considering going with MAC due to their emphasis on ladies with my skin tone.

Most of my make up is Revlon/ body shop brand - which are both great imo, and I generally go for browns and blues. I usually don't wear much though. A little mascara and some concealer to cover the darkness under my eyes if I'm going somewhere nice, and sometimes I do eyeliner/ falsies etc when I'm going out clubbing. That's really about it. I'd like to know more I guess but I'm not sure where to start. The problem with experimenting is that sometimes it looks ridiculous and is hard to get off :p

Kisaya

Right now I just have a Lancôme foundation and Sephora products (liquid eyeliner and mascara) that I use regularly. I've been experimenting with different shades of lipsticks that I already have but I'm gonna have to make a trip soon :p

Also... I want to start wearing eyeshadow again but I have to find the right brand and learn how to properly put it on this time >.<

For eyes, I'm addicted to Urban Decay's Naked. I like to add a little bit of brown or shimmer for the day. I usually wear a light foundation and blush, but I hate lipgloss so much. I would rather wear lipstick at night and just wear chapstick during the day.

I love the Naked Palette. I only have the first Naked, want the second and the new Basic Naked.

In terms of brands, I love Urban Decay, Guerlain, Tarte, and some sephora collections (particularly the new cinderella line). I used to be a huge Mac fan, but their recent palettes and collections have been a huge letdown. I still love some of their lipsticks and lip glosses though.

I always recommend this website if someone wants to get into makeup or wants great reviews on products: http://www.temptalia.com/
She has the best beauty blog I've ever seen!

As far as drugstore brands go, I stick to wet and wild (they have been producing shockingly awesome eyeshadow palettes and amazingly cheap prices) and Milani (i love their eyeliner).

In terms of sewing, I have a sewing machine, but I only use it for sculptures :( I wish I took the time to learn how to sew clothes.

Egnirys

I always recommend this website if someone wants to get into makeup or wants great reviews on products: http://www.temptalia.com/
She has the best beauty blog I've ever seen!

I live in the same area as her, so it's so weird seeing her at the local Sephora or MAC purchasing makeup to review. Maybe because I've read her blog for years, so seeing her in person is something I would never have imagined.

Maybe I'll post some of the stuff I sew. I'm currently waiting on fabric swatches from Mood so I can make a dupe of that mint and white lace dress that was on ModCloth and sold out super fast. My fiance is taking me to La Fondue for Valentines Day, so I want to make a somewhat nice dress to wear.

Artemisia

Banned
I see!

Well, here's the coat.

Bvh7m.jpg

I love the sleeves and the flares. I think it will go lovely with this

9ad399fa-fcde-4074-910c-01fb0474aa0d_600.jpg

Romeo & Juliet Women's Woven Ruffle Top

Since we have similar tastes, what are your thoughts on this top?

rl35a.jpg

That's a sleeveless Ralph Lauren ruffled silk blouse.

and this

q6db0.jpg

That's a Lauren Jeans long-sleeved ruffled henley tee

i7vpiehJZjit6.gif

Satch

Banned
Since we have similar tastes, what are your thoughts on this top?

rl35a.jpg

That's a sleeveless Ralph Lauren ruffled silk blouse.

and this

q6db0.jpg

That's a Lauren Jeans long-sleeved ruffled henley tee
i dont like the first top on its own. i think it would be better with a fitted blazer

and i dont like the full sleeves on the second one. they make the blouse look too amish

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnuygkjhbn,m;guitfyguhbj

lordT I just realized what I said could be seen in a way as offensive.

Sorry about that., I wasn't thinking.
Live and learn. No one needs a vagina to be a girl!

Is this a real post

You can't do this to me

:'(
I am sorry.

It is the truth.

Forgive me of my sins.

But do you like Ghost Trick?

I loved it until iOS ate my save :(
I haven't played it. I stayed the eff away when I read it was by AA people. Then later I heard it's nothing like AA and one of the best DS games, and so I'd *like* to play it someday but haven't got a copy yet.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm going to get that Fire Emblem Awakening bundle if I can since I have no 3DS. O: Also that 3DS kernel being hacked makes me hopeful it will see a public release and allow me to play Project Mirai.

Oh shoot, the wrath of Shirley? What have I done.

Is Community any good this season? I stopped watching after they kicked Dan Harmon out

I'm going to get that Fire Emblem Awakening bundle if I can since I have no 3DS. O: Also that 3DS kernel being hacked makes me hopeful it will see a public release and allow me to play Project Mirai.
If Project Mirai is as good as project Diva f, I might resent the 3DS hacking a little less.

I was thinking about getting it, myself! I want to try it.
Let's be first time Fire Emblem sros!

As much as I love the series, I'm okay with this. Any reason in particular?
Hmm, it's been over five years since I played it so I can't recall specifics, but I do remember not liking the humor at all - found it to be too forced/annoying.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Was just going to mention bare escentuals! I hardly wear makeup at all, but when I do, all of it is this brand. For people who are worried about their face feeling "heavy" with makeup on, bare escentuals is great because it's really light. The only negative to that is it can dry up your skin a lot if you're prone to that (like me), but I just put extra moisturizer to cover my bases.

Sorry I'm a bit late seeing this. I have that problem too. My skin gets soooo dry and flaky from it. I started using a toner to smooth things out but that didn't help much. I got a cleanser and moisturiser (today actually) that should hopefully help. All bare escentual stuff.

I'm so addicted to them

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
But hacked 3DS means piracy means even less likely that we'll see games like Bravely Default get localized. D-: It's a vicious cycle. Nintendo never shoulda region locked this thing.

If they didn't region lock it I'd already have a 3DS and a predominately Japanese collection of games, but they did and the hack just makes it possible to get the things I want without buying two of the same console twice. Of course the negatives are still there but the locking makes me really not care as long as I can use my retail carts from other regions. I have a Japanese 360 since it's relatively region free as far as the 360 goes for the same reason.

Top Bottom