• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gizmondo to be equipped with "GoForce 4500"

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
colorsingamebig.jpg

Better than GTA!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
400Mhz ARM 9 CPU, and this thing, Gizmondo could turn out to be quite a capable portable 3D system, but I have a bad feeling that Gizmondo will be priced too close to the PSP.
I have even worse feeling that noone will make games for it, and noone will give a crap in general (also see: 'Zodiac')

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Marconelly said:
I have even worse feeling that noone will make games for it, and noone will give a crap in general (also see: 'Zodiac')
That'll be a shame if your right, and I'm not doubting that you are. The Zodiac is a slim, sexy little piece of kit and I can't wait to see how the Gizmondo turns out. I don't understand why more game developers aren't more interested in game platforms like this. How big is the risk? There aren't license fees are there? Any idea what development costs are like?

kaching said:
That'll be a shame if your right, and I'm not doubting that you are. The Zodiac is a slim, sexy little piece of kit and I can't wait to see how the Gizmondo turns out. I don't understand why more game developers aren't more interested in game platforms like this. How big is the risk? There aren't license fees are there? Any idea what development costs are like?

Gizmondo desperately needs an analog pad. And they need to price it reasonably ($200 or so). Otherwise, it's doomed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Zodiac is a very cool little piece of hardware (and Gizmondo seems to be so too), but I think it's the relative obscureness of their manufacturers that are discuraging both developers and buyers. They could both end up being ultimate homebrew handheld machines, though.

Phoenix

kaching said:

Would you rather have a 5-10 man team developing content for a platform that isn't proven or a platform that you know will sell millions of units? If the Zodiac or the Gizmondo were to reach critical mass, you'd find people supporting them. The only reason why people gave a crap about the nGage was that Nokia promised to sell millions of them based on their reputation for pushing cell phones - and they could have, if it didn't suck to the point where people just didn't want them.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I see what you're saying, Phoenix, but while income potential may be smaller, so should the overhead, at least at this stage of mobile game platform design. There's a chance to grow a market with concerted effort from content providers that's more potent than any promises made by the hardware manufacturer about how the hardware can sell itself.

Some pics of GoForce 4500 in action. Still no words on the polygonal output.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/345/C3224/

3224_large.jpg

3224_super.jpg

The image quality looks real good. At least on par with MBX stuff. All the important FXs are in it seems as well (except maybe bumpmapping).

Below are the software rendered Zodiac version of the same game that's not OGL ES-fied like the above 4500 shot.

sce_screenshot1.jpg

stuntcarextreme09.gif

http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040916371668.html

Finally some triangle output figures:

GoForce 3D Technology

OpenGL® ES / MD3D compliant
Geometry processor
Programmable pixel shader
Bilinear/trilinear texture filtering
Supports fixed & floating point data
Intelligent power management
128-bit memory interface
40-bit color pipeline
6 simultaneous textures
Signed overbright color
8 surfaces (color, Z, texture 1-6)
Over 1 million drawn triangles/second

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Wow it has some very decent 3D graphics!

I hope this becomes a succesful product, for all the beauty of the Tapwave (I luckily had the chance to use one for a while) I fear it's already dead as a game device.

Top Bottom