• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GmanLives - Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - How Not to Remake A Classic

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

00:00 Intro
01:53 Rocket Money
03:19 Story & Premise
07:44 Gameplay & Visuals
12:48 The Campaign & Cinematics
18:10 The Ninja
21:55 Voice Acting & Music
26:13 Sons of Twin Snakes
31:00 The Campaign Continued
36:08 Playing Twin Snakes
37:30 Closing Remarks

And for all we know Konami is just going to have virtuous slap some pretty graphics onto this game and masquerade it as the mgs1 remake

SCB3

Hideo Kojima asked Kitamura to redo them in his well-known action style.
Yep, he wanted it to not be a shot for shot remake but a reinterpretation, its very Anime in its Action scenes, I'm not a fan of it but the game is actually still very good and playable aside from that

I'd still recommend the Original first, but this is not a bad game

It's better than the original because it had better camera and controls. The camera in the original MGS1 is painful.
Sorry but the better controls and camera doesn't make it the better version when the directing and voice acting isn't on par with the original. I still enjoy this remake for what it is but I'm so glad Konami decided to just re use the original voice recordings for MGS 3 Delta.

Toots

Gold Member
Ryuhei Kitamura directed many of the game's cinematics to look identical to those in the original Metal Gear Solid, but upon inspection Hideo Kojima asked Kitamura to redo them in his well-known action style.
One of the best ideas Kojima ever had.
I remember missile surfing and lots of homoeroticism (even more than the original yes).

Gojiira

It's better than the original because it had better camera and controls. The camera in the original MGS1 is painful.
No no no and no….GC lacked pressure sensitive buttons so adding in MGS2 first person aiming simply didnt work, feeling stupid and redundant.
Camera was identical so thats bullshit.
Secondly the level design was identical and the slapped on MGS2 mechanics like hanging and using lockers was equally redundant…And lets not even try to justify the fucking awful VA and Music TTS has, its a insult and a joke.

The only people who claim TTS is in anyway a improvement are people who never touched MGS1 until this ‘remake’…Garbage remake,killed any chance for a genuine MGS1 Remake

I loved it, personally.

Is one of the few Remakes that I see as a separate game, I don't compare it to the original at all (not saying you shouldn't, I'm saying I don't).

But if I were to, the Original is transparently superior in every possible way.

Specially the cold atmosphere of the Original. Is not only unmatched by the Remake, but it's unmatched period.
Very few games come close to it.

But I'm only making this comparison for this thread, because outside, I don't think about it.

If I want to get a more dumb-fun version of MGS 1, I go for Twin Snakes.

If I want a more interesting-dumb version of MGS 1, I go for the Original (Not saying the OG isn't fun, by the way)

Also

Ryuhei Kitamura directed many of the game's cinematics to look identical to those in the original Metal Gear Solid, but upon inspection Hideo Kojima asked Kitamura to redo them in his well-known action style.
This very much eases off any issue I could have about the cutscenes.

Because if the choice to make them the way it was, was a decision made by anyone else (Konami, for example), I could see it as a disrespect on the OG, even if I myself enjoy them regardless (I do)

But if the creators themselves embraced that change, I have no issue with it, they matter the most when it comes to that.
Rather I like the change or not, that's another story.

And I 100% get why a lot of people didn't like it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I really wanted to love it, but the direction choices to make it even more of a campy action B-film without the flare of Kojima just left a horrible bad taste in my mouth.

CGNoire

Even the Graphics looked worse. They completely gutted all the color lighting accents. Every texture was completely monochromatic. Shit had no soul

When I played it on release I thought it was pretty good. The first person aiming made the game way too easy though. But as far as the aesthetic they went for an MGS2 vibe and I thought it was fine.

Would I take it over playing the original? Nope.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Getting Metal Gear back on a Nintendo system was something special. I enjoyed it but yeah, the cutscenes were ridicilous. I loved this scene tho

I disliked the soundtrack the most.

Shut0wen

Banned
Yeah i agree under rated remake imo, one of the best remakes out there, especially considering how much they changed the game

bender

What time is it?

The new camera and controls also had the negative effect of breaking the game's difficulty.

K' Dash

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why do people hate on Twin Snakes? I’ve never played the original and have only played Twin Snakes, so I’m not really sure what makes it so much worse. I loved that game.

Tarnpanzer

Why do people hate on Twin Snakes? I’ve never played the original and have only played Twin Snakes, so I’m not really sure what makes it so much worse. I loved that game.

Watch the video.

I only played TS, but will play the Original someday after I saw this video.

Bond007

Never understood the hate.
The original is my favorite game of all time. TS added some flare and was fun- nothing fundamentally wrong and played great. The stuff they added was awesome for someone like me that had already beaten the shit out of the original. New cutscenes, camera, FPS were all fun additions and not a phoned in remaster.
If it was your first MGS experience-- then it was great at that too.

Id love a remake.

Last edited:
It was a good remake. It wasn't a remaster so it was different to the original. Seems to be the main complaint. Remakes as should be different. The camera controls did make it too easy but so are the remakes of Resident evil 2 and 3 for the same reason.

RaduN

Except for the ost changes (damn them for that) and some lack of finesse here and there, it's absolutely a great game and a very good "what if" of the original. Some of the scenes (everythting with Grey Fox, Snake vs Meryl, The two Snakes fight, etc are absolutely biblical in this one).

It's exactly how Snake would tell the tale of Shadow Moses over a couple more glasses of bloody Mary.

Porcile

The problem is the first game on PS1 is barely anything more than a visual novel with a few action sequences and memorable but easy boss fights. The rest of the "stealth" sequences and exploration can just be cheesed so easily. Have to remember that the game was still heavily based on Metal Gear 2 on the MSX Removing the limitations without any major changes to the guard behaviour and patterns was never going to work.

Killer8

The worst part about the remake cutscenes wasn't the missile surfing, it wasn't the over the top Cyborg Ninja scenes, it wasn't all the slow mo.

No, THE worst thing about the remake is how badly it butchers Sniper Wolf's death:

What should've been a dignified death scene is ruined by having Otacon trip while retrieving the rifle, a really cheap gag to make him look more pathetic. For what reason? The lack of the original's music also sucks a ton of the emotion out the scene.

On the subject of music, how the fuck do you also decide NOT to use the iconic Rex's Lair theme?

Even the lack of cinematic showing Rex in its full terrifying glory when entering the lair is just ridiculous.

Hudo

Both Twin Snakes and MGS 5 are badly written fan fiction but Twin Snakes knows it at least. MGS 5 is tryharding too much. And Keifer Sutherland sucks fucking ass. Thank god he rarely speaks.

I'll compromise with you:

Ground Zeroes > Twin Snakes > diving with a submarine built by retarded millionaires to the Titanic > Phantom Pain

bender

What time is it?
Both Twin Snakes and MGS 5 are badly written fan fiction but Twin Snakes knows it at least. MGS 5 is tryharding too much. And Keifer Sutherland sucks fucking ass. Thank god he rarely speaks.

I'll compromise with you:

Ground Zeroes > Twin Snakes > diving with a submarine built by retarded millionaires to the Titanic > Phantom Pain

MGS5 has arguably the best 3rd person action in any game. It is simply divine. The game play modifications to Twin Snakes broke the game balance. Twin Snakes really doesn't offer anything that isn't bested by the original.

simpatico

Gold Member
Twin Snakes is a good remake IF you have access to the original. His points about certain QOL additions breaking some of the difficulty is true. You'd have to do a little self-restraint while playing, but you can get something pretty darn close to the OG experience.

A.Romero

I'm a huge fan of MGS so probably I'd play anything related (and probably like it too). I borrowed a gamecube almost 20 years ago to play this iteration of MGS and remember that felt it was OK. Enjoyed the new graphics and kind of remember some voices/dialogs changed and not liking that a lot.

Don't really mind the cutscene changes.

I rather played it than not (only went through it once while I've gone through the original several times) but also it didn't bring anything new to the table nor really improved on the original formula. The world wouldn't miss it if it didn't exist. However, I'm happy Nintendo only gamers got to play it.

Also I have a hard time taking anything Dyack is involved seriously after his participations on GAF.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Twin snakes was an opportunity for gamecube players to play a classic beyond that what's the problem with Twin Snakes? The horrible cover?

Thaedolus

The MGS2 gameplay breaks the level design completely, the music sucks in comparison, the voice acting direction is worse, the GameCube controller struggles with the MGS2 layout…

I still like to revisit it now and then, but it’s pretty flawed.

Edit: god seeing some clips in this thread is reminding me how fucking bad the music was. Of all the things to keep the same, it should’ve been that amazing og soundtrack.

200.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom