• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Magnus said:
I'm watching some of these behind the scenes videos that you unlock after completing the game. I watched one in particular that covers the major part of the first 30 minutes of the game, and got so amped up about it again and went back and played a new game.

Man, I cannot stress enough that if you don't know anything about that first 30 minutes, don't read anything about it! Surprise is so key to how impressive it is. It's fucking stunning.
You're going to drown me in my drool and poop from excitement, aren't you.

KAOz

Short bus special
RustyNails said:
Well in those days, most of the games were cheap (dollar-wise) and meant to be beaten in one sitting. Today, games cost the better half of $100 and there are tons of gigabytes floating around for saving games. Its fair to expect around 8-10 hours of gaming from a game.

Ehrm, you do know that technically, games where even more expensive in the past then they are now, right? :p

Also, Magnus, did you collect everything there was in the game on that playthrough? Since, if you didn't, and didn't explore too much, while playing on Normal, I think we have a good reason for the "short time". Though, 8 hours doesn't bother me at all. :D

Dogenzaka

Banned
Cerberus said:
I beat Flower in about an hour and I'd say it's worth $10. Portal was a 3 hour game for me and I would've paid the $20 that Steam is asking for if it never was a part of the Orange Box. Would I pay $40 for a 4 hour game? If it was an incredible game, then I probably would. Personally, I prefer having an amazing 8 hour game that I'll likely play through again over a good 20 hour game that will probably stay on my shelf forever after it's beaten.

I get the feeling you guys are all just ridiculously rich and have $40-60 to toss on any game that you can complete in one lazy afternoon regardless of it's valued length.

Also, Magnus, did you collect everything there was in the game on that playthrough? Since, if you didn't, and didn't explore too much, while playing on Normal, I think we have a good reason for the "short time". Though, 8 hours doesn't bother me at all.

Yeah if he played on Normal and didn't collect everything, I'm not too worried.

ZeroRay

This is SSM's first PS3 game, while GOW2 was their third PS2 game.

With game budgets so high plus all the new complicated technology, I didn't really expect this game to be as long as GOW2, but hopefully it's a more jam packed 8 hours than GOW2's 12.

Speaking of pacing, the last segment of Uncharted 2 wasn't done that well: I was at 7:30 when I started the monastery level and finished the game at around 13 hours. That part of the game, while having many impressive moments, were filled with too many pointless gunfights.

KAOz said:
Ehrm, you do know that technically, games where even more expensive in the past then they are now, right? :p
Well my parents got most of them, but I remember the $40 something price tag? Something just tells me that today's games are the most expensive ever.

Dogenzaka

Banned
ZeroRay said:
This is SSM's first PS3 game, while GOW2 was their third PS2 game.

With game budgets so high plus all the new complicated technology, I didn't really expect this game to be as long as GOW2, but hopefully it's a more jam packed 8 hours than GOW2's 12.

Speaking of pacing, the last segment of Uncharted 2 wasn't done that well: I was at 7:30 when I started the monastery level and finished the game at around 13 hours. That part of the game, while having many impressive moments, were filled with too many pointless gunfights.

This is true, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to design a longer Uncharted game that didn't have those, what you would deem, "pointless" segments.

Uncharted 2 was already longer than Uncharted 1 if you didn't even count the last couple of hours.

It's possible Uncharted 3 could be even longer than Uncharted 2, yet still be just as good.

Like I said, some people implying that longer automatically equates to stuffing a game with unnecessary filler segments is ridiculous.

Talon

RustyNails said:
Well in those days, most of the games were cheap (dollar-wise) and meant to be beaten in one sitting. Today, games cost the better half of $100 and there are tons of gigabytes floating around for saving games. Its fair to expect around 8-10 hours of gaming from a game.
RustyNails said:
Well my parents got most of them, but I remember the $40 something price tag? Something just tells me that today's games are the most expensive ever.

What are you talking about? Cheaper in the 16-bit era? Good SNES/Genesis-era games were regularly at $80 or $90.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Talon- said:
What are you talking about? Cheaper in the 16-bit era? Good SNES/Genesis-era games were regularly at $80 or $90.

Really? I must not remember too well...I remember paying $30 new for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 a year or two after it came out..

Talon

Dogenzaka said:
Really? I must not remember too well...I remember paying $30 new for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 a year or two after it came out..
Chrono Trigger was $90 when it came out. I think even Mega Man X3 was $70.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
Gosh, I'd love it if there was some way I could watch that making-of documentary feature...

It's arguably my favorite part about the games, lol.

I'm looking forward to it. Watching the quirky goings-on of the SSM offices is really interesting.

Cerberus

Dogenzaka said:
I get the feeling you guys are all just ridiculously rich and have $40-60 to toss on any game that you can complete in one lazy afternoon regardless of it's valued length.

Nah, I rarely buy games on Day 1. I'd say the majority of games in my current gen collection were bought in the $30 range and months after they're released. I'm a cheap ass gamer. :p

ZeroRay

Dogenzaka said:
This is true, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to design a longer Uncharted game that didn't have those, what you would deem, "pointless" segments.

Uncharted 2 was already longer than Uncharted 1 if you didn't even count the last couple of hours.

It's possible Uncharted 3 could be even longer than Uncharted 2, yet still be just as good.

Like I said, some people implying that longer automatically equates to stuffing a game with unnecessary filler segments is ridiculous.

Obviously longer done well is always preferable. Games like RE4 and Half-life 2 took half a decade to make so it does take a lot of time and effort to make games like that.

The foundation was already set for GOW2 with GOW1 so they had more of an opportunity to run their ideas freely rather than design mechanics and work on an engine. Funny thing is that GOW2 was actually supposed to have even more stuff! If you see the making of, there was a last minute scrapped level where you go back to Roades and fight a horde of enemies on your way to Zeus.

Talon

Dogenzaka said:
Honestly, I don't have the time to play games a second time nowadays, so I wind up GameFlying just about every game save 2-3 games I buy a year.

Talon- said:
michaelclayton.jpg

I stand corrected by Michael Clayton :D

Edit: On second thoughts, how much were NES games?

Yoboman

RustyNails said:
I don't ever recall games being cheap

ZeroRay

Games back in the day ran upwards of 90 dollars. Hell, I had to convince my dad to spend 70 dollars on Goldeneye when buying my N64 since it didn't come with a game like my SNES did.

Shurs

Yoboman said:
I don't ever recall games being cheap

They weren't. In fact, one of the nice things about having downloadable games is that we get better values than we ever have before, specifically when it comes to puzzle games. In the 8-bit era, you'd be paying $50 for Dr. Mario when today you have Lumines Supernova or Puzzle Quest representing the top tier price point at $15.

ZeroRay said:
Games back in the day ran upwards of 90 dollars. Hell, I had to convince my dad to spend 70 dollars on Goldeneye when buying my N64 since it didn't come with a game like my SNES did.

In Europe they still do, I am going to pay 100 dollars to play God of War 3, and every other game out there.

And why would anyone want a big 20 hour God of War game anyway? Personally, I would love it if every game was 4-6 hours long, it would remove all the filler and give a more focused and complete narrative experience that wasn't forced to be 15 hours long because it would be a bulletpoint on the box, but at the cost of a foucsed and well paced narrative.

So if 3 is only 8 hours, then I would be more then happy.

Talon

Vinterbird said:
And why would anyone want a big 20 hour God of War game anyway? Personally, I would love it if every game was 4-6 hours long, it would remove all the filler and give a more focused and complete narrative experience that wasn't forced to be 15 hours long because it would be a bulletpoint on the box, but at the cost of a foucsed and well paced narrative.
If every so-called AAA game could be finished in one sitting, this industry wouldn't last very long.

Yoboman

Okay, who here honestly believes casual gamers sit there for the 12 - 14 hours it'd take an average player to complete a God of War game in one sitting?

Most of them would probably play it over 4 or 5, 2-3 hour sittings at best

Talon

Yoboman said:
Okay, who here honestly believes casual gamers sit there for the 12 - 14 hours it'd take an average player to complete a God of War game in one sitting?

Most of them would probably play it over 4 or 5, 2-3 hour sittings at best
I'm responding to his "4-6 hour games would be great" assertion.

I rent a vast majority of my single-player games as it were nowadays.

Pimpbaa

Vinterbird said:
In Europe they still do, I am going to pay 100 dollars to play God of War 3, and every other game out there.

So if 3 is only 8 hours, then I would be more then happy.

I get the feeling you buy way too many games. I buy like 2 to 3 games a month and if they were all 4-6 hours that would really fucking suck (and would probably just give up the hobby).

Veelk

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
I get the feeling you buy way too many games. I buy like 2 to 3 games a month and if they were all 4-6 hours that would really fucking suck (and would probably just give up the hobby).

That, and games are not all about the story. If a combat system is good enough, I have absolutely no issue with a game padding out it's story just so I can have another level of kicking ass. An action game with only 4 hours worth of content would be a pretty sad thing indeed.

Animator

Oh great we have finally entered the "boo my hype is at an all time low now, dunno if I should even rent this" stage of the thread now.

Animator said:
Oh great we have finally entered the "boo my hype is at an all time low now, dunno if I should even rent this" stage of the thread now.
No fear the awesome reviews going up in just hours will wash this pissy taste out of the thread. DON'T DOUBT THE GOD OF WAR PEOPLE. :D

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Animator said:

Yeah, took longer than expected.

i don't know why people want it longer than gow2. gow2 was a bit too long and as much as I love these type of games and the series it gets pretty tiring and if it goes too long starts to hurt replay value. I would not mind at all if it was around gow1's length, probably an extra hour or so more. gow2 while an excellent game, still kinda dragged on...

Yoboman

I've never heard someone say GoW2 was too long until this thread. In fact the popular opinion was that the length was more or less perfect

Grooski

Banned
Animator said:

It's currently moving to the ever-popular "the controls fucking suck, fix this shit GG!" phase.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ballistictiger said:
People who played GOW 1 and 2 should know what to expect in terms of game length.

8-10 hours is fine if that's all it ends up taking me. That's around the length of GoW1.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Cyberia said:

The action starts during the Siege of Rhodes, where Kratos—now looking suitably gigantic as the new God of War—has descended upon the beleaguered city to help deliver the final blow. In the midst of his rampage, a large eagle swoops down, drains out most of his godly power, and injects it into the Colossus of Rhodes. As Kratos writhes in fury, his power-depleted body shrinking back down to its original human size, the enormous colossus stirs to life and starts its angry advance. So begins the story, and so too begins a nearly two-hour-long opening battle that comprises one of the best first acts of any game I've played. After that, however, the game settles down to a more moderate pace and the plot becomes increasingly convoluted.

wait.. what..? I... yeah, no... I...

a challenger appears...

http://www.gamecritics.com/god-of-war-2/review

:lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dogenzaka said:
Anybody who says you can't pick a game a part for length needs to tell me if they can justify paying $40 like I did for a 4 hour PSP game. :l

As long as it's God of War, I'd gladly pay $40 for a 2 hour game. It's pretty much the only series I'm interested in nowadays (Final Fantasy seems to have turned to shit with FF XIII, Silent Hill just produced Shitty Memories, arguably the worst game in the series, Gran Turismo 5 is never coming out and Sonic's been shit for about a decade or so).

Man did this thread turn into a circle-moan on game length or what? I wonder if cash has anything to do with these assumptions, because people would rather have 'more bang for their buck' I guess. Besides it seems developers can never do right in this regard, save for some. I like to pay for the experience itself and not for game-length.

I never really got the idea of 'game completion time' anyway, how the hell is this an objective number? I feel devs and publishers should refrain from making statements about length at all.

Besides if people REALLY wanted an '16hour game', SSM had to have build in some stupid box puzzles or 1000 more combat arenas, or delay the game for one year.

Top Bottom