• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Magnus said:
I've gotta add, the incorporation and on-screen part of the sex mini-game this time around is awesome :lol

I'd be interested to hear about the
relics
and their various effects. Is it basically the same system as
the urns in GOW2
or is it more complex?

Also, what's the unlockable costume on the disc and what does it do? You can PM if you don't want to post in the thread.

Kabuki Waq said:
but if you could get the same satisfaction with a rental......

You mean like almost every game that is released?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kabuki Waq said:
but if you could get the same satisfaction with a rental......
Seriously? Then rent it. If the game was 12 hours you wouldn't rent but if it were 8 hours you'd rent?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Magnus said:
Good to see I'm not much of an anomaly on the game's length then.

I've got to re-iterate my slight disappointment again; can't believe it's over already.

@TTP: satsified with the material in most of those hours. But knowing what was missing that could have filled say, two more hours is annoying. Missed potential, imo.

You mean the game makes you think there is more to come and yet it ends abruptly?

What gets unlocked anyway? Besides costumes I mean. Is there a challenge mode?

Dogenzaka

Banned
beast786 said:
Technically you can make a case for most if not all SP games to be rental.

This is an issue for another thread, really, but this is why I don't buy too many single-player games anymore.

For $60, most single-player games absolutely half-ass the replay value and the length of the original quest. God of War at least tries to remedy this with bonus play, challenge modes, extra costumes and unlockable content, but most of the time, games like these can be finished in a rental and it's not worth even going back to.

Max@GC

Kamal007 said:
Got it. Beat it in 7 hours and 30 minutes. Great game but man was it really short. The length was very disappointing.

Really? Maybe it just felt really short because there was happening so much...

Magnus

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'd be interested to hear about the
relics
and their various effects. Is it basically the same system as
the urns in GOW2
or is it more complex?

Also, what's the unlockable costume on the disc and what does it do? You can PM if you don't want to post in the thread.

I only found four on my first playthrough.

Each one I found basically gave you unlimited Titan Rage, Health, Magic or Item Use, etc. One multiplies your hit counter by 3, so a 4-hit combo builds you up to 12 hits -- which just boosts red orb collection I guess?

The costume was taken from a sequence in the game itself -- it's pretty sweet looking, a dark, basically night-black Kratos with just the red war-paint illuminated.

RavenFox

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
This is an issue for another thread, really, but this is why I don't buy too many single-player games anymore.

For $60, most single-player games absolutely half-ass the replay value and the length of the original quest. God of War at least tries to remedy this with bonus play, challenge modes, extra costumes and unlockable content, but most of the time, games like these can be finished in a rental and it's not worth even going back to.
Totally understand but in this case your crying to much. Some folks like to rush through games to be first to announce they beat it. If you think your really going to finish GOW3 in 8 hours then by all means set up the cam with the timer and do it then post it.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Perfect length for me. Quality over quantity, and especially depending on the type of game.

I always roll my eyes in my head when I read people arguing whether it's 8 or 11 hours.

RavenFox

Banned
Classic24 said:
wtf is going on here, ive seen reports of around 10-15 hours, then this mofo says 7 hours??? wtf i hope this guy is joking
That's why I asked who he is and why should we trust him. Has posted 17x since 08.

Kamal007

Neo Member
RavenFox said:
GAF who is this and why should we trust him?

gary-coleman.jpg

WATCHU TALKING ABOUT WILLIS?

Classic24

Banned
edit: I wasnt trying to call anyone a mofo, i was just surprised and slightly angry.............im hoping its at least 10 hours for me on normal

This thread is no longer hyping me, it is just annoying me. All this complaining about length and framerate and whatever else...I think I'll just unsubscribe from this thread. I know I am going to enjoy this game immensely and I don't care how long it is or if I could beat it in a rental period. I could beat almost every game I own in a rental period, but I like to savor the experience. I don't understand how you can judge the value of a game based on its length. smh

Dogenzaka

Banned
Thunderbear said:
Perfect length for me. Quality over quantity, and especially depending on the type of game.

I always roll my eyes in my head when I read people arguing whether it's 8 or 11 hours.

Except I'm discussing 8 over around 16 hours, which is a difference 2x length.

Magnus

I'm not bitching because it's only 8 hours on paper. I'm only bitching a little because it certainly felt short overall, and a seemed short in the encounter department (in general, not in comparison to previous GoW's, as I haven't completed them).

TTP said:
You mean the game makes you think there is more to come and yet it ends abruptly?

What gets unlocked anyway? Besides costumes I mean. Is there a challenge mode?

I'll answer the questions, but some may not want to know what I mean by missed potential, or what's unlocked.

By missed potential, I meant, considering this is the end of the trilogy, and the entirety of the pantheon of gods and titans are in play, as per God of War II's ending, the number of major encounters is rather small. You definitely get the feeling that more is happening in the war that rages on, and you don't get to see so much of it.

Unlockables:

I saw a massive list of Behind the Scenes content unlock, in addition the one main Making-Of Video that was available off the bat. A challenge mode which I haven't tried yet opens, with several rooms/challenges, like, "Clear the room without dying, but also being turned to stone 10 times", or time limits, or whatever. One costume and any relics you picked up on your main playthrough can become activated as well. I hear this is similar to GoW's relic system.

RavenFox

Banned
Kamal007 said:
gary-coleman.jpg

WATCHU TALKING ABOUT WILLIS?
I'm sorry no offense but with an 18 post count since 08 and then you pop up 71/2 hours to finish the game. Can I see a save file pic? Then we will all moan together.

Dogenzaka

Banned
nskinnear said:
Argh... this is why devs feel the need to add tacked-on MP modes to their games nowadays :/

I don't know about anyone else, but I have no problem paying $60 for 8-10 hours of epic, God-slaying action :p

Nobody is asking them to add multiplayer, my goodness.

Is it too much to ask for a developer to keep their mantra of exponential improvement over a predecessor over all aspects of the game? You would expect, if GoW2 could be so epic in its 15+ hours, that GoW3 could do even moreso.

No one is asking for multiplayer, I just wish it could be as long or longer than the simpler games that came before it.

Most games can be beat in 1 sitting, doesn't matter.

Which is a sad thing.

When games like Mass Effect 2 offer you dozens of hours of single-player content for $60, it's difficult to justify a single-digit number of hours of entertainment for $60 for me.

I haven't played the ME series, though.

RavenFox

Banned
CrayzeeCarl said:
This thread is no longer hyping me, it is just annoying me. All this complaining about length and framerate and whatever else...I think I'll just unsubscribe from this thread. I know I am going to enjoy this game immensely and I don't care how long it is or if I could beat it in a rental period. I could beat almost every game I own in a rental period, but I like to savor the experience. I don't understand how you can judge the value of a game based on its length. smh
People will always complain even if it was 160fps with perfect AA and textures.

Classic24

Banned
ive already ordered my god of war collection from amazon and it should be here tomorrow thanks prime!!! Ive never owned a ps2, but do own a ps3, so im looking foward to experiencing GoW............then 5 dollars towards god of war 3

Loudninja

Classic24 said:
game length does matter to an extent.....................its not everything but it is something
Not really because not every play at the same pace.Thats why its odd people uses other play times to judge the length.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I figured people are still smoking the hype pipe too much for there to be any doubt of this game whatsoever until at least April, when the smog clears and people can reasonably compare the 3 games.

I don't have the game yet, but if the game is shorter than I expect it to be for my money considering the length of the previous games, there's nothing wrong with me doubting, discussing, or questioning such decisions.

RavenFox

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
I figured people are still smoking the hype pipe too much for there to be any doubt of this game whatsoever until at least April, when the smog clears and people can reasonably compare the 3 games.

I don't have the game yet, but if the game is shorter than I expect it to be for my money considering the length of the previous games, there's nothing wrong with me doubting, discussing, or questioning such decisions.
Dude what seems to be the problem? Your taking this way to seriously.

Magnus

Framerate was damn solid throughout, I was impressed. It'll hang for 1-3 seconds if you come out of an extended pause though. :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Loudninja said:
Not really because not every play at the same pace.Thats why its odd people uses other play times to judge the length.

I don't think it's unfair to use the length of games from the same series to compare. It isn't really surprising that having multiple people beat GoW3 in around half the time it took most to complete GoW2 is making people worry.

nskinnear said:
Argh... this is why devs feel the need to add tacked-on MP modes to their games nowadays :/

I don't know about anyone else, but I have no problem paying $60 for 8-10 hours of epic, God-slaying action :p

We think alike brother. :D

Magnus

Magnus said:
Can someone link me to where the developers discussed a "controversial" element in the game that might 'surprise' people? I'd like to read that with the benefit of hindsight.

Anyone? It was in reference to something in the late-game, I think.

I remember reading interview that the game is longer than the first game but slightly shorter than 2nd game. I was fine with that because I took around 8 hours to beat GoW1 and 11-12 hours for GoW2. I was hoping the middle ground to be around 10 hour to be honest =(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Magnus said:
Anyone? It was in reference to something in the late-game, I think.
It's at the end of the GTTV episode. Stig says it's something that he's surprised they were allowed to keep in and Keighly says is going to be a talked about, classic videogame moment. Said it was a twist near the end, or something like that.

Dogenzaka

Banned
RavenFox said:
Dude what seems to be the problem? Your taking this way to seriously.

I'm taking this too seriously?
..Really?

No, lol, are you really saying that I can take my money on a product I've wanted for 3 years "too seriously"?

That's pretty funny, yo.

Did I say people were asking for MP in this game? No. I just think that's the reason we're seeing MP in a lot of games that probably don't need MP.

Yeah, well SSM wouldn't do that so I'm not really concerned about that for GoW.

Just finished GOW2 (GOW Collection) in 8:50min normal difficulty. I played it before but never played beyond the Colossus level. so this was my first run.

On the other hand it took me 11hrs to finish GOW 1. :lol

chris0701

RavenFox said:
I'm sorry no offense but with an 18 post count since 08 and then you pop up 71/2 hours to finish the game. Can I see a save file pic? Then we will all moan together.

He is not the only one to say about 7~8 game length. Maybe he played better than Magnus.:D :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
RoboPlato said:
It's at the end of the GTTV episode. Stig says it's something that he's surprised they were allowed to keep in and Keighly says is going to be a talked about, classic videogame moment. Said it was a twist near the end, or something like that.

More specifically

"it's so twisted that you came up with this"
"something at the end that's really really cool"
"one of those classic videogame moments"

TTP said:
More specifically

"it's so twisted that you came up with this"
"something at the end that's really really cool"
"one of those classic videogame moments"

So magnus was the ending one of those classic videogame moments? Since you've beat it already... All i need is a yes or no :)

tzare

Dogenzaka said:
Which is a sad thing.

When games like Mass Effect 2 offer you dozens of hours of single-player content for $60, it's difficult to justify a single-digit number of hours of entertainment for $60 for me.

Well, comparing a RPG with an action game, is weird. I mean, talking to people, scanning planets , farming..... well. Then is FIFA 10 a 60hour game if you play a full season?

I'd love to see GOW 3 to be longer than short, but for example, i am playing darksiders at this time, i'm 12 hours into it and its pace is too slow, feels boring sometimes, things seem to be there just to give you +30minutes of 'useless' gameplay, instead of being designed to give you more fun. You can always add another room with tough enemies, but that is not what i want from a game SP. I guess for people wanting to spend more time smashing skeletons, there's the challenge rooms.
But a story needs a decent pace. And i guess, after spending 3 years making the game, SantaMonica , though about the lenght too XD

RavenFox

Banned
Dogenzaka said:

Really now wtf?

Dogenzaka said:
I'm taking this too seriously?
..Really?

No, lol, are you really saying that I can take my money on a product I've wanted for 3 years "too seriously"?

That's pretty funny, yo.

Yeah, well SSM wouldn't do that so I'm not really concerned about that for GoW.
I'll just leave you be...
chris0701 said:
He is not the only one to say about 7~8 game length. Maybe he played better than Magnus.:D :D
Who else said this? They posted in this thread? A review or maybe someone we all know who post here? It's all good just that there are some silly folks out there with issues. Just look above...don't bother.

dragonflys545 said:
So magnus was the ending one of those classic videogame moments? Since you've beat it already... All i need is a yes or no :)

OPM US said that the ending will be divisive, people will either love it or not like it. Geoff Keighley apparently like it, OPM themselves said they're not too hot on the ending, although the rest of the game is ace.

Magnus

From something I posted in the other thread:

I'm fairly certain I know what the highly controversial "moment" near the end is.

It's definitely one of those moments that people will bring up first, and will play out a little different for everyone. You'll get people asking each other, "what did you do there?"

In two conversations I've had with others who've finished the game, it was the first thing that came up.

Top Bottom