• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Tom Penny

dralla said:
disappointed that all the reviews are knocking the story. the second game didn't have a great story either, I was hoping they would redeem themselves with 2

Not for nothing. It's awfully hard to match the incredible stories of other action games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta to name a few.

RavenFox

Banned
dark10x said:
Jesus christ, I just watched the GT review and it's difficult to believe that what is being shown is realtime. It really does look like CG much of the time. Absolutely outstanding visuals!
I peaked then bailed HOLY SHIT
lowrider007 said:
Pretty much, the type of people they attract are people that mistake 'going against the grain' as being righteous when all it is is self promotion, a way to try and differentiate themselves from the masses, which some could argue is fair game but that doesn't make their opinions more valid than everyone else's.
Excellent post lowrider

Empty said:
Well i do think that applying mathematics to subjective games criticism to be rather stupid, and metacritic, well at least the conclusions drawn from it, to be very flawed, so i guess that is my perspective.

In that case, there's really no point discussing it.

Though would you advocate adjusting the star scores of a film critic if it could be shown that over a year of reviews he had a statistical bias towards FOX films and against Universal films, so as to fit rotten tomatoes?

In that highly unlikely scenario, sure. Bias is bias. If it's there, it's there. It's just that it is incredibly unlikely that a film critic would be biased against any particular studio, based on logic (you and I both know that video games are a different story). And with a sufficiently large sample size, it would be almost impossible that a statistical bias would show up in that scenario.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ghostofsparta said:
Damn I'm very dissapointed by these reviews. And the worst part is everyone is saying how bad the story is.

I know this is just bitching but I'm honestly canceling my Ultimate Edition. $100 dollars for a 9.0 game is not worth it.

The reason one would do something ludicrous like buy a game for 100 dollars is because one is a big fan. It should not be determined by whether the game gets 10s all over the place. Your expectations must have been insane.

YoungHav

Banned
I don't get Gamespot, this is their first review i've seen in yrs where they didnt post it nearly a week after everyone else.

nskinnear said:
Just curious -- what is the cutoff? Would a 9.1 be worth it? :p

9.5 =p

I just don't want it to be like Resistance 2 where i payed 80 dollars and it ended up being the biggest dissapointment of my video game life. So im just sticking with the regular version now.

Empty said:
Well i do think that applying mathematics to subjective games criticism to be rather stupid, and metacritic, well at least the conclusions drawn from it, to be very flawed, so i guess that is my perspective. Though would you advocate adjusting the star scores of a film critic if it could be shown that over a year of reviews he had a statistical bias towards FOX films and against Universal films, so as to fit rotten tomatoes?
You're reading this wrong. Mathematics is applied to the scores given by the publication that proves the publication is less than fair. You're defending their demonstrable bias by saying "yes they are biased and yes they have right to be biased", which is a bullshit argument. You already dismissed statistics. But now that you're proven to be wrong, you're trying to dismiss the statistical methods.

If a publication gives one platform lower than average reviews for its games and gives another platform closer than average reviews for its games, its not just giving out opinions. Its being dishonest. Maybe they get paid by MS, maybe they have a stock in xbox, who fucking knows? Saying Mathematics is not applicable to numbers is too much.

Reviews are saying 9 hours.

So probably closer to 8 hours.

I really wanted this game to be good, but it really seems to be more of the same.

spats

YuriLowell said:

I really wanted this game to be good, but it really seems to be more of the same.

I don't remember the first two sucking, so how is more of the same a bad thing?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
YuriLowell said:

Way to selectively ignore the praise and 9s and 10s. Do you even like the first two games?

KAOz

Short bus special
ghostofsparta said:
9.5 =p

I just don't want it to be like Resistance 2 where i payed 80 dollars and it ended up being the biggest dissapointment of my video game life. So im just sticking with the regular version now.

But, the Metricscore is at 94. :p

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
YuriLowell said:

Of the same what?

Truespeed

YuriLowell said:

I thought so too until I got to the car chase level.

reKon

Banned
ghostofsparta said:
Damn I'm very dissapointed by these reviews. And the worst part is everyone is saying how bad the story is.

I know this is just bitching but I'm honestly canceling my Ultimate Edition. $100 dollars for a 9.0 game is not worth it.

wow, seriously come on now..

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
YuriLowell said:

rjec21.jpg

Quixzlizx

I really wanted God of War 3 to be less violent, but it really seems to be more of the same

I really wanted New Super Mario Bros. Wii to have less side-scrolling, but it really seems to be more of the same.

I really wanted Yakuza 3 to be less Japanesey, but... oh, wait, Sega of America came through for me.

rhino4evr

koene said:
:D

Man, it's so hard now not to watch any video's. But I know it will all be worth it. Someone tell me how awesome it is!

me too! The only thing I know is that the first 30 mins of the game are supposed to be epic as hell!

Cerberus

Quixzlizx said:
I really wanted God of War 3 to be less violent, but it really seems to be more of the same

I really wanted New Super Mario Bros. Wii to have less side-scrolling, but it really seems to be more of the same.

I really wanted Yakuza 3 to be less Japanesey, but... oh, wait, Sega of America came through for me.

:lol

DihcarEM said:
So we know that you get the dominus skin after finishing it once(probably normal). How many costumes are there to unlock?

You get one costume. If you pre-order you get another from whatever vendor. You can get 3 I believe with the uber edition.

Empty

RustyNails said:
You're reading this wrong. Mathematics is applied to the scores given by the publication that proves the publication is less than fair. You're defending their demonstrable bias by saying "yes they are biased and yes they have right to be biased", which is a bullshit argument. You already dismissed statistics. But now that you're proven to be wrong, you're trying to dismiss the statistical methods.

If a publication gives one platform lower than average reviews for its games and gives another platform closer than average reviews for its games, its not just giving out opinions. Its being dishonest. Maybe they get paid by MS, maybe they have a stock in xbox, who fucking knows? Saying Mathematics is not applicable to numbers is too much.

Sorry to bring the serious into the hilarity.

I think you are misreading my personal position on games criticism which is they shouldn't uses scores, and if they do it should be a four star rating in the Ebert way of doing things, as a statement that is relevant to the argument. What i'm doing is explaining that the statistical bias that a poster found doesn't necessarily mean that they treat the 360 and PS3 differently, or in your terms "yes they are biased and yes they have a right to be biased because bias doesn't mean anything in this case as review scores don't need to be coherent". I haven't attempted to attack the posters statistical methodogy because that is not what i'm trying to argue, his conclusion could be the complete opposite and i'd think that. Now please explain to me how a correlation implies causation in this case, surely it can be explained by the inconsistent scoring of games as they are allowed to do, provocative scoring, pc based editors who have less of a taste for japanese game design, editors with tastes more for the genres produced by microsoft partners, as opposed to editors going in with different mindsets based on platform which is concerning.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
nskinnear said:
Yeah, well, it's still fucking God of War. What significant differences did you expect?
They could have made a lot of improvements, including-

-cover system so Kratos could fling his blades from behind a wall
-regenerating health
-you can only carry two weapons at a time; dropping one loses all the upgrades you have given it
-built in DLC store that allows me to buy red orbs with real cash instead of having to earn it
-every single battle with any enemy is an automatic QTE
-allow me to deck out Kratos with my Playstation Home outfits that I've bought
-half the game you play as Kratos, but in an interesting twist the next half you play as the ghost of Aphrodite in stealth-like action gameplay
-online multiplayer battles with XP system/perks system
-60fps, 3D support, Arc support, GunCon support

And that's just off the top of my head. Kind of a disappointment really. Ah well.

wotter

Our review: http://ps3.9lives.be/games/god-of-war-iii/reviews (spoiler free as usual)
90%
God of War 3 offers blood, death, brutality – in all: fun – on a gigantic scale. Kratos wanted his revenge and it’s up to you to guide him on his blood-red journey where graphics, sound and tension come together to form a spectacle from start to finish. We cannot condone violence, but if it helps Kratos to reach his goal, there ain’t no mountain high enough, there ain’t no god strong enough. Amazing end to the trilogy.

+ scale
+ music
+ brutal
- ending?
- Kratos' voice

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
neojubei said:
Of the same what?

GOW, its the same as GOW 1 and 2 (gameplay wise), well that is what I think he is talking. :lol

But I agreed, GOW gameplay has never been a strong one (battle at least), because you could use 2 or 3 combos all the way and had no problem beating the game in Normal and Hard difficulty. Yet GOW3 seems to change this with adding specific weapons that you gain by beating some bosses, which only work against certain other enemies etc. Also the boost boots (lol) will make the gameplay fast and that is awesome. So hopefully this brings up more variety to GOW gameplay.

Guts Of Thor said:
Off topic but after playing that piece of shit, anyone who mentions God of War and Dante's Inferno in the same sentence should be beaten.

should we start with you?

seriously though, i enjoyed dante's inferno for what it was considering it was it's first outing and attempt. i do not see the problem with being able to enjoy both games. i knew what to expect with dante's inferno, and i know what to expect from god of war 3. making the type of comment you just made seems unnecessary and usually stirs up conversation that can potentially ruin a thread.

anyway, just watched the GT review and it has a few minor spoilers but overall made me more excited.

Top Bottom