• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Tom Penny

chubigans said:
They could have made a lot of improvements, including-

-cover system so Kratos could fling his blades from behind a wall
-regenerating health
-you can only carry two weapons at a time; dropping one loses all the upgrades you have given it
-built in DLC store that allows me to buy red orbs with real cash instead of having to earn it
-every single battle with any enemy is an automatic QTE
-allow me to deck out Kratos with my Playstation Home outfits that I've bought
-half the game you play as Kratos, but in an interesting twist the next half you play as the ghost of Aphrodite in stealth-like action gameplay
-online multiplayer battles with XP system/perks system
-60fps, 3D support, Arc support, GunCon support

And that's just off the top of my head. Kind of a disappointment really. Ah well.

There is no multiplayer? :( Rental confirmed.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
-DarKaoZ- said:
GOW, its the same as GOW 1 and 2 (gameplay wise), well that is what I think he is talking. :lol

But I agreed, GOW gameplay has never been a strong one (battle at least), because you could use 2 or 3 combos all the way and had no problem beating the game in Normal and Hard difficulty. Yet GOW3 seems to change this with adding specific weapons that you gain by beating some bosses, which only work against certain other enemies etc. Also the boost boots (lol) will make the gameplay fast and that is awesome. So hopefully this brings up more variety to GOW gameplay.

So can I make the same argument when gears of war 3 comes out or halo reach? Funny no one makes the same argument against Mega man games or call of duty games.

Gigglepoo

YoungHav said:
I don't get Gamespot, this is their first review i've seen in yrs where they didnt post it nearly a week after everyone else.

We only review retail code for games. We were lucky in the case of God of War 3 and Final Fantasy XIII that we got copies early enough to play through. In the case of online games, like Bad Company 2, we need to play on retail servers so those frequently go up the day of or after release.

onken

Gigglepoo said:
We only review retail code for games. We were lucky in the case of God of War 3 and Final Fantasy XIII that we got copies early enough to play through. In the case of online games, like Bad Company 2, we need to play on retail servers so those frequently go up the day of or after release.

How come no promo copies?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The Chef said:
Thats a joke right?

Might be a different voice actor since the website appears to be in (German?) and the voice actor might be a (German?) one.

theignoramus said:
WTF, are these direct feeds?
The image quality is fucking flawless, I know the AA technique they use allows for a high level of AA, but gat-damn, these screens have no jaggies whatsoever.

I do not know how this game could get less than a 10 in graphics.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
theignoramus said:
WTF, are these direct feeds?
The image quality is fucking flawless, I know the AA technique they use allows for a high level of AA, but gat-damn, these screens have no jaggies whatsoever.

keep in mind i downsized those (they were 10240x5760 :lol )

DeadGzuz said:
Dante's Inferno is calling for you, begone.

I actually already finished Dante's and enjoyed it for what it was.

I enjoy all 3rd person action games, but I just thought with such a heavy hitter like GoW I would see some new gameplay mechanics.

Not saying i'm not getting it. Just disappointed that they didn't try anything new.

youruglyclone

Neo Member
GamingTrend said:
You get one costume. If you pre-order you get another from whatever vendor. You can get 3 I believe with the uber edition.

don't forget the 7-11 morpheus costume. you only need to drink 5 slurpees for that one.

Filldough

YuriLowell said:

I enjoy all 3rd person action games, but I just thought with such a heavy hitter like GoW I would see some new gameplay mechanics.

Not saying i'm not getting it. Just disappointed that they didn't try anything new.

It seems there are some changes to the basic formula but drastic changes, no.... besides, if you can enjoy Dante's Inferno for ripping off GoW then surely you can enjoy the real thing as much or more than its imitator.

Length won't be a issue for me.
I will probably replay God of war 3 with every costume, watch every video and complete this game on the hardest difficulity:lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
YuriLowell said:

Stop gaming, the genres are about saturated. If people like God of War 1/2 and this is just more of it on a grander scale then what is wrong with that? Would you like for this to be an RTS? God of War is great because it's more of the same. Much like almost any other sequel. I suppose all the games you like were not more of the same but better and enhanced?

onken said:
How come no promo copies?

In my country we never saw promos for FF13 on PS3, retail review copies were on 360 and GoW3 retail promo just hit today, otherwise it was debug if you wanted to land a review today.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
OldJadedGamer said:
Funny, I heard the same thing said about Uncharted.

Whoever said that about Uncharted is an idiot. Uncharted was largely a third person shooter. How is that not multiplayer oriented?

YuriLowell said:
Reviews are saying 9 hours.

So probably closer to 8 hours.

I really wanted this game to be good, but it really seems to be more of the same.

When "the same" are some of most epic gaming experiences you've ever played, damn right I want more of it.

The February/March quality thunderstorm continues, these reviews are great. I'll be there day one (most likely) but I have a question about the pre-order costumes. Are they really exclusive to pre-orders or can you unlock them during gameplay?

Kittonwy

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Funny, I heard the same thing said about Uncharted.

Uncharted has always been perfect for MP, it was just a matter of time and resources, ND added more people to the team just for MP.

Empty said:
Sorry to bring the serious into the hilarity.

I think you are misreading my personal position on games criticism which is they shouldn't uses scores, and if they do it should be a four star rating in the Ebert way of doing things, as a statement that is relevant to the argument. What i'm doing is explaining that the statistical bias that a poster found doesn't necessarily mean that they treat the 360 and PS3 differently, or in your terms "yes they are biased and yes they have a right to be biased because bias doesn't mean anything in this case as review scores don't need to be coherent". I haven't attempted to attack the posters statistical methodogy because that is not what i'm trying to argue, his conclusion could be the complete opposite and i'd think that.
A 4 star rating is no different than a 10 point rating scale. It doesn't mean any goddamn crap what rating anyone uses. For the bolded part, its really not that hard to understand. How else would you look for bias in ANY publication? Should Edge put a preface on top saying "this is a PS3 game and we don't like PS3 games" to display their bias for all to see? All we lowly mortals can do in this case is use the tools that are available to us to pretty much produce the proof. We all knew they weren't being just in their reviews. We now have math to back it up.
Now please explain to me how a correlation implies causation in this case, surely it can be explained by the inconsistent scoring of games as they are allowed to do, provocative scoring, pc based editors who have less of a taste for japanese game design, editors with tastes more for the genres produced by microsoft partners, as opposed to editors going in with different mindsets based on platform which is concerning.
Being consistent in under-reviewing PS3 games is explainable by a distaste of japanese game design? ...Whatever man. I hope people are reading this. It can be explained by a lot of things. But the fact that it is explainable by a platform bias has proof to back it up.

wotter

neojubei said:
Might be a different voice actor since the website appears to be in (German?) and the voice actor might be a (German?) one.
It's Dutch and we play all games in English (like most are meant to be). I asked the reviewer in question about the voice and he said the voice actor tries too hard which makes it a bit overdone. Draw your own conclusions when the game comes out :)

Regarding game length: ten hours on normal on first playthrough.

Zombie James said:
When "the same" are some of most epic gaming experiences you've ever played, damn right I want more of it.

The February/March quality thunderstorm continues, these reviews are great. I'll be there day one (most likely) but I have a question about the pre-order costumes. Are they really exclusive to pre-orders or can you unlock them during gameplay?

They are all exclusive to pre-order bonuses.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Are there any real direct buffer screens from the game yet, or any really high quality video captures of gameplay? I want to see MLAA in action.

LM4sure

Banned
UnblessedSoul said:
God of war 3 would look stupid with multiplayer it just wouldn't work IMO

That's what you said about Resident Evil!

I'm sure we'll get multiplayer...via DLC! w00t!! The multiplayer mode is probably already completed, and they are just waiting to annouce it so that it doesn't look like they purposely left it out of the game in order to screw you on the DLC.

Veelk

Banned
I realize the main discussion is what the review scores will be, but can someone confirm whether there will be a new game + in GoW3? I'm having a hard time believing they'd omit this feature.

LM4sure said:
That's what you said about Resident Evil!

I'm sure we'll get multiplayer...via DLC! w00t!! The multiplayer mode is probably already completed, and they are just waiting to annouce it so that it doesn't look like they purposely left it out of the game in order to screw you on the DLC.
Atleast do something like what Batman:Arkham Asylum did for challenge arena. You will be surprised to know how hardcore some of the folks out there are, who would spend hours to scrape that last millisecond.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
wotter said:
he said the voice actor tries too hard which makes it a bit overdone. .
That's Kratos though, like him or not he has always been like Christian Bales Batman.

Generic said:
I realize the main discussion is what the review scores will be, but can someone confirm whether there will be a new game + in GoW3? I'm having a hard time believing they'd omit this feature.
New game+? Like in an RPG?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
How would multiplayer even work? I could see co-op arena battle (challenge of the gods/titans), but anything pvp I can't see working.

LosDaddie

Banned
neojubei said:
So can I make the same argument when gears of war 3 comes out or halo reach? Funny no one makes the same argument against Mega man games or call of duty games.

:lol :lol People make those arguments all the time against those games.

Seriously though, one should expect "more of the same" when playing a sequel.

YuriLowell said:
Reviews are saying 9 hours.

So probably closer to 8 hours.

I really wanted this game to be good, but it really seems to be more of the same.

american_psycho_guffaw.gif

Gigglepoo said:
I'm not sure what this means.

Promo copies are retail discs in a jewel case with a "PROMO VERSION - DO NOT SELL" written all over it. They are used for reviewers when not sending out debug code.

Kittonwy

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
How would multiplayer even work? I could see co-op arena battle (challenge of the gods/titans), but anything pvp I can't see working.

If they put MP in it they will probably say it feels tacked on.

-viper-

Banned
So it seems like the length of the game is 10 hours long. Personally I think that is a decent length. At times GOW2 felt like a drag. Plus, I'm sure the game will be longer if you aim to collect everything or especially if you go for the trophies, which will definitely require multiple playthroughs. You also have the challenge rooms or arena battles.

I didn't see anyone complain at Dead Space being an 8 hour game. And Bayonetta is hardly is a 12 hour game either, yet most people love it. Or how about Batman Arkum Asylum? Hardly a long game either.

Gigglepoo

RustyNails said:
He's asking why you didn't get earlier review code instead of waiting for retail copies like the rest of us mortals.

Oh, because the people we review for (mortals...) don't play early review code. We want to have the same experience as everyone else. This is especially important with online, but there are sometimes graphical hitches and stuff even in single-player games that could cause us to mislead readers.

We don't necessarily play boxed retail, but it has to be retail code. "Review build" doesn't necessarily mean 100% final code.

Top Bottom