• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Majmun

zoukka said:
This from you? I see you whining in every EDGE thread about the scores :lol

EDGE review threads just aren't complete without drama and massive meltdowns over the review scores. :p

Can't wait for the EDGE score. I'm sure they'll give this one a 9/10.

Or else...

Denzar

He doesn't say in the video, but I presume not.

Sony has really been ramping up the GoW III marketing, and my estimate is (I have a bachelors degree in marketing, in case you were wondering) that the marketing is probably about double the amount of the production costs.

Deepack said:

Sony has really been ramping up the GoW III marketing, and my estimate is (I have a bachelors degree in marketing, in case you were wondering) that the marketing is probably about double the amount of the production costs.

Uh, are you suggesting they are going to spend $88 million on marketing? :lol

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
neojubei said:
So can I make the same argument when gears of war 3 comes out or halo reach? Funny no one makes the same argument against Mega man games or call of duty games.

Not really, because those games aren't base in combos. Combos = variety, think of a fighting game, you can do certain things always but that won't work most of the time. So you need to use all the character arsenal to get over some situational walls. DMC and Bayonetta are a good example. Ninja Gaiden is in the same situation as GOW, there are a handfull of combos you can use over and over and always win, you have the option to do different stuff but that won't work well and you can die.

Ninja Gaiden is know for its difficulty, but GOW is not really, only in TITAN difficulty (IIRC is that hardest difficulty). But then again IMO I buy GOW for Graphics and artistic view/originality/wow factor. Not much for Gameplay and story, but the gameplay seems to be different now, still similiar but at the same time new.

Well I suck as explaining myself, but bare with it plz. :lol

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Deepack said:

you think sony is going to spend 88 million on marketing:lol

iceatcs

Lagspike_exe said:
I thought it is common amount cost for marketing, some of AAA title about $100m+ such as GTAIV and MW2

iceatcs said:
I thought it is common amount cost for marketing, some of AAA title about $100m+ such as GTAIV and MW2

GTA4 and MW2 are sure to sell, what, 10-15 million copies?

God of War isn't THAT big and never in it's history has SCEI spent that much money on marketing a single game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dogenzaka said:
Did it? Guess I don't remember. Not sure.

Eh? How can you make an assertion about something you're not sure about?

That's... enlightening. Anyway, while Modern Warfare 2 was a travesty in your opinion, the vast majority of people out there fell in love with the thing. It would only make sense it's reviewed higher on the merits of mass appeal. That shouldn't mean that God of War III will appeal any less to YOU, because you are not the average gamer.

Denzar

Lagspike_exe said:
Dude, CoD and Halo had marketing budgets three times that big. :eek:

God Of War III is arguably Sony's biggest franchise, and they are putting some giant muscle behind that. It would not surprise me if it's 80 million dollars.

Yes, it's a lot but it's not unrealistic.

It's just my estimate (I could be waaaaaaaaaays off), wouldn't be surprised if it were around the same cost of the game too.

In any case, the 44 million mentioned does not include the marketing budget.

Dogenzaka

Banned
GuardianE said:
Eh? How can you make an assertion about something you're not sure about?

That's... enlightening.

Because my recollection was wrong? Memory isn't 100% perfect, yeah?

Anyway, while Modern Warfare 2 was a travesty in your opinion, the vast majority of people out there fell in love with the thing. It would only make sense it's reviewed higher on the merits of mass appeal. That shouldn't mean that God of War III will appeal any less to YOU, because you are not the average gamer.

Fucking hilarious lol

Loudninja

Deepack said:

God Of War III is arguably Sony's biggest franchise, and they are putting some giant muscle behind that. It would not surprise me if it's 80 million dollars.

It's just my estimate (I could be waaaaaaaaaays off), wouldn't be surprised if it were around the same cost of the game too.

Its one of them, GT5 is its biggest.

Deepack said:

First of all, God of War isn't Sony's biggest franchise. That place is reserved for Gran Turismo.

Second of all, Sony has never done marketing campaigns like Halo's "BELIEVE". Nothing of that magnitude. Ever.

Third, Call of Duty is one of the biggest franchises in gaming today. God of War is big, but nowhere that big.

I think the absolute maximum we could expect for a God of War 3 campaign is maybe $25 million. And that would be an astonishingly high number when compared to Sony's previous efforts.

Yoboman

Dogenzaka said:
The GameTrailers review is hilarious...they actually scored GoW3 lower than Modern Warfare 2.

It's even lower than Bayonetta (though I'd say Bayo has a way better combat system).

I'm not complaining that the score is bad, GT's score for GoW3 is really great.

But when you look at the fact that it's less than what they scored for MW2, it's really funny in my opinion (when that was my number one laughing disappointment of last year).
Meh GT are always harsh on PS3 games. Or at least they look past the hype with PS3 but get enveloped with it for 360 games

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Deepack said:

gran turismo is sony biggest franchise even jak and dexter was a bigger franchise than god of war

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dogenzaka said:
Because my recollection was wrong? Memory isn't 100% perfect, yeah?

Fucking hilarious lol

Dogenzaka said:
The GameTrailers review is hilarious...they actually scored GoW3 lower than Modern Warfare 2.

It's even lower than Bayonetta (though I'd say Bayo has a way better combat system).

I'm not complaining that the score is bad, GT's score for GoW3 is really great.

But when you look at the fact that it's less than what they scored for MW2, it's really funny in my opinion (when that was my number one laughing disappointment of last year).

No. Not because your recollection was wrong. It was because you made an assertion that had the foundation of that poor recollection. People generally do a little fact checking before using something as evidence for an argument.

And no matter how much hate you pour into Modern Warfare 2, it'll be regarded as an enormous success, both financially and critically in the wide scale video game community. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. I'm not saying I agree with that analysis, but that's how it will play out.

Talon

Yoboman said:
Meh GT are always harsh on PS3 games. Or at least they look past the hype with PS3 but get enveloped with it for 360 games
9.2 is harsh?

Yoboman
smarter than you
blinder than you
thinks he fights
better than you

Denzar

Lagspike_exe said:
First of all, God of War isn't Sony's biggest franchise. That place is reserved for Gran Turismo.

Second of all, Sony has never done marketing campaigns like Halo's "BELIEVE". Nothing of that magnitude. Ever.

Third, Call of Duty is one of the biggest franchises in gaming today. God of War is big, but nowhere that big.

I think the absolute maximum we could expect for a God of War 3 campaign is maybe $25 million. And that would be an astonishingly high number when compared to Sony's previous efforts.

I said "arguably". Yeah, I can agree GT is Sony's biggest franchise, but GoW comes close.

Indeed, they have done nothing of the magnitude of Halo or CoD's campaigns. I have never stated that.

And I'm talking globally, not US only.

And jesus, it's just an estimate from some guy on a forum. Don't get your panties all in a bunch. I'm not trying to bullshit you guys, nor am I trying to get attention.

zoukka

This thread...

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Dogenzaka

Banned
No. Not because your recollection was wrong. It was because you made an assertion that had the foundation of that poor recollection. People generally do a little fact checking before using something as evidence for an argument.

Uh, what argument?

I got back from a long day and I'm tired; I didn't necessarily give much of a damn if my memory of Bayonetta's score was off by a couple tenths of a point. If I was wrong, I was wrong, big deal.

And no matter how much hate you pour into Modern Warfare 2, it'll be regarded as an enormous success, both financially and critically in the wide scale video game community.

Yeah I never questioned that. I simply said that I, myself, found it to be a quite a disappointment.

I don't really care if WiiFit is a financial success or Modern Warfare 2 is a financial success or Grand Theft Auto IV is a financial success. All three of those games suck to me.

It is absolutely laughable that MW2 has scored higher in graphics than God of War 3, though.

9.2 is harsh?

Well, considering this is the main reason to own a PS3 right now, it's not even as high as some other 360 games reviewed by GT.

spats

Totobeni said:
wooha..that a lot , SCE sure give their first party studios huge budgets , I think this is this the biggest game for Sony so far ( dunno about GT5 , but I doubt it costs as much ).

It was reported some time last year that GT5 has cost over $60 million so far.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Ganondorfo said:
Damn, david jaffe is a genius, the man has created an amazing trilogy.
Got nothing but mad respect for Jaffe, but GOW3 had nothing to do with him right?
All credit goes hardworking devs @ Santa Monica.

Totobeni said:
wooha..that a lot , SCE sure give their first party studios huge budgets , I think this is this the biggest game for Sony so far ( dunno about GT5 , but I doubt it costs as much ).

I believe GT5 is >$60 million.

Deepack said:
I said "arguably". Yeah, I can agree GT is Sony's biggest franchise, but GoW comes close.

Indeed, they have done nothing of the magnitude of Halo or CoD's campaigns. I have never stated that.

And I'm talking globally, not US only.

And jesus, it's just an estimate from some guy on a forum. Don't get your panties all in a bunch. I'm not trying to bullshit you guys, nor am I trying to get attention.

It's cool dude, sorry if I sounded too harsh. :)

Swag

Just watched the Gametrailers review, what do they consider as Design? Is that just aesthetics or something else?

Cerberus

Ganondorfo said:
Isnt god of war made by him? I know he directed the first game, but he and cory barlog also did the rest right?

Pretty sure Jaffe left after directing the first one and Barlog left after directing GoW2.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ganondorfo said:
Isnt god of war made by him? I know he directed the first game, but he and cory barlog also did the rest right?

Jaffe could technically be considered a consultant for the sequel, but it was very much Balrog's game. Jaffe didn't actually do anything except give his two cents.

Top Bottom