• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There's something weird about the framerate in Gow II. When you open chests and all the orbs come flying out, and also sometimes when you break structures, it seems to drop to around 30 fps for a second or two. Anyone else notice this? I just think it's a bit weird, since it's at a perfect 60 fps the rest of the time, no matter what's going on.

JWong

Banned
Puck said:
What's it say? was the case sealed, and are you on the right PSN store?
Yep. Shrink Wrapped and Sealed from Best Buy.

Voucher has French on it, so it's Canadian. The account is right.

I sent an email to the playstation support. Hopefully they can do something about it.

timkunedo

Just beat gow1. speechless.....

quick question. After i beat the game i was asked to save. So i did. Is there not a new game+ type game where i can replay? I just needed a few thousand to upgrade everything

grkazan12

Did anyone in this thread who played GOW and GOWII when they were released, get this collection?(I played them both on PS2). I'm contemplating on purchasing this collection, but wondering if it's worth it or not to play these two great games again.

grkazan12 said:
Did anyone in this thread who played GOW and GOWII when they were released, get this collection?(I played them both on PS2). I'm contemplating on purchasing this collection, but wondering if it's worth it or not to play these two great games again.

I bought and played them both at launch, and I got the collection a couple weeks ago and it was totally worth my money. What's so amazing about God of War is how well the gameplay holds up to today's standards. The remastered graphics and the trophies are nice additions and make them live up to their original potential.

grkazan12 said:

I got it when amazon was having a sale and I got both when they came out.

Madman

grkazan12 said:
I did. Both games hold up really well in the HD conversion. Surprisingly well I would say.

grkazan12 said:

Yep totally worth playing again. The games hold up very nice and seeing them in HD glory is also cool. The trophies are a great incentive to play through them again. First time around I didn't bother/couldn't do the Challenge Modes. This time I conquered them. So essentially, I got more out of the 2nd time around.

timkunedo said:
Just beat gow1. speechless.....

quick question. After i beat the game i was asked to save. So i did. Is there not a new game+ type game where i can replay? I just needed a few thousand to upgrade everything

No Newgame+ on 1st GoW unfortunately. There is on the 2nd game though where your orbs/weapons carry over. With the 1st GoW you'll have to replay it but slecting the Cow costume will give you unlimited magic and 2x orbs, so it'll be easy to get on the next playthrough.

Ashour

grkazan12 said:

I finished both of them back in 2007 but I never owned them. so yeah I need these awesome games in my collection.

Also love the news of GoW Collection charting on NPD top 20. may help convince others (And Sony) to do the same :D

Autofokus

grkazan12 said:
If you liked both games, then there is really no reason to miss this collection - its worth every cent.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
RoadHazard said:
There's something weird about the framerate in Gow II. When you open chests and all the orbs come flying out, and also sometimes when you break structures, it seems to drop to around 30 fps for a second or two. Anyone else notice this? I just think it's a bit weird, since it's at a perfect 60 fps the rest of the time, no matter what's going on.

Anyone? I just want to make sure it's not my PS3 acting up (though it seems unlikely that GPU issues would cause anything like this).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RoadHazard said:
Anyone? I just want to make sure it's not my PS3 acting up (though it seems unlikely).
I don't have the game but I can tell you with confidence that it is not your PS3 acting up.

StuBurns

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Anyone? I just want to make sure it's not my PS3 acting up (though it seems unlikely that GPU issues would cause anything like this).
Not sure about the framerate in the traditional sense, but the animations slow in places, as they do in GoW3, and did in the originals. It's just part of the game. Even DI's got it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
stuburns said:
Not sure about the framerate in the traditional sense, but the animations slow in places, as they do in GoW3, and did in the originals. It's just part of the game. Even DI's got it.

No, that's not it. When you open chests (especially if the camera is close up) the framerate drops significantly for a while, as if the PS3 can't handle all the glowing orbs (which seems crazy). Didn't see it happening in GoW I, but in GoW II it happens at almost every chest. It's no biggie, but it breaks the amazingly smooth feeling the game gets from running at a perfect 60 fps at all other times.

Ok, GoW II has made me hate it, just like GoW I made me hate it with the spiked column. What now? Well (final battle spoilers):
After you've fought Zeus there's a QTE. This QTE has extremely short windows for hitting the butons, and if you miss one you die, forcing you to restart from the last checkpoint which is before the unskippable cutscene leading up to the QTE. This means that you have to sit through the cutscene (and also the Circle mashing right before it) over and over again, until you manage to beat him. Why can't I try the QTE again right away instead? It's not like the part before it is challenging in any way, it's just very boring after the 10th time.
Extremely irritating. That's fucking horrible game design right there.

GameCat

I have experienced slow down when opening chests a couple of times in GoW I. I haven't played two very much yet though, so it might appear there as well. The only times I noticed it was when the chest was very close the camera so the particles occupied a significant portion of the screen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
GameCat said:
I have experienced slow down when opening chests a couple of times in GoW I. I haven't played two very much yet though, so it might appear there as well. The only times I noticed it was when the chest was very close the camera so the particles occupied a significant portion of the screen.

Yeah, that's usually when it happens. I noticed it much more frequently in GoW II, but I guess it's there in GoW I as well. They must have optimized that particular effect very poorly for the PS3 architecture, something like that shouldn't bring the framerate down.

Anyway, I've now beaten GoW II, and aside fom the annoying part I described in my last post I loved it! Better than GoW I in many ways, even though I think I prefer the storyline in I. It had a powerful sense of desperation, regret and anger which wasn't as strong in II. But, still a great game, and the ending sure made my hype level for GoW III rise even more!

EDIT: I didn't really like that the bosses in GoW II have no health bars. I just like knowing how close to beating someone I am, instead of just blindly beating away on him/her/it until the QTE symbol suddenly pops up.

ChryZ

The person who came up with "Challenge of the Gods" number 10 is a freaking sadist. My throat is still hurting from screaming curses and random insults.

Wow a 2 month beta cycle is insane seeing as the game went through the conventional pre-alp, alpha, beta process. That type of beta time line would be awesome paychecks for everyone doing hourly since beta is all OT push. Geez I miss testing :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TheExodu5 said:
Sounds like it was very successful if it sold that much.
Indeed. They didn't seem to ship all that much; four stores didn't carry it at all, and my local Gamestop only got 2 copies in.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
chubigans said:
Indeed. They didn't seem to ship all that much; four stores didn't carry it at all, and my local Gamestop only got 2 copies in.
We had alot of interest for it at my store. Odd since there was little advertisment for it :lol
Glad to see it do that much, love the God of War :D I been saving on doing GOW2 for it to get a bit closer to GOW3 release.

Just
protected the translator
in God Of War II, and WOW, this game is so much better than the first already. Everything is polished, and feels even better.

Manus

Anyone else find the other weapons you get in these 2 games aren't that much fun to use as the blades? I just feel their boring and aren't as strong. I hope they add some nice weapons I want to use more in the 3rd. For example Ninja Gaiden 2 had some very nice weapons in which all were fantastic to use.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, having weapons other than the chains always seemed pointless to me. I never used them.

Guess I'll try them out a bit more when my copy arrives (hopefully today!).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
SquirrelNuckle said:
Anyone else find the other weapons you get in these 2 games aren't that much fun to use as the blades? I just feel their boring and aren't as strong. I hope they add some nice weapons I want to use more in the 3rd. For example Ninja Gaiden 2 had some very nice weapons in which all were fantastic to use.

The secondary weapons are definitely stronger, but also much less fun to use. They are slower and have much worse range (except for maybe the spear's shotgun-like attack).

WHOAguitarninja said:
So i got this and my demo code doesn't work. Is there anything I can do?

Are you trying to redeem it using a PSN account from a different region than the game? If so, that won't work. Redeem codes are always region-locked.

I have both the PS2 GoW games, but just bought the collection earlier today. Cant wait to play it in HD!

Just to make sure, its locked at 60 fps and no screen tearing right?

kikanny

iamcool388 said:
I have both the PS2 GoW games, but just bought the collection earlier today. Cant wait to play it in HD!

Just to make sure, its locked at 60 fps and no screen tearing right?

Yup.

kikanny said:

2d14hsz.jpg

Footos22

I pretty much finished god of war 2 in 2 sittings on saturday.

This game is so damn addictive. Felt much much better than the first time i played it years ago.

Challenge of the titans was pretty easy. especially with the sword of olympus maxed out with kronos rage magic.
Finished with an overall Titan rank.

Just saved at the great chasm in bonus play. 2 hours.
urn of the gorgons makes the game really really easy

I used all the urns apart from poseidons.

I've Got about 500000 red orbs. :lol
Only trophies i need to platinum the collection are the loom chamber one which i missed on my first playthrough so was pretty pissed and i need 6 more cyclops eyes.

somehow i think ill do the loom one in about 2 minutes with all these urns on :lol

roxya

Finished God of War last night, can't believe I didn't watch any of the bonus stuff before. Some really interesting shit there. The prototype of God of War is just hilarious :lol Shame we didn't get dreadlocks-Kratos.

And, fuck you blade columns in hades. Fuck you rail-walking above the Challenge of Hades.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
god damn. the ship is one of the great game intros; I forgot how amazing it was.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Rez said:
god damn. the ship is one of the great game intros; I forgot how amazing it was.

The hydra is also arguably one of the best first boss encounters ever. Not as insane as the colossi of GoW II, but still pretty damn awesome.

ShinAmano

So...having only played the first level of the original God of War when it first came out I was really excited to pick up this collection.

I played through a decent section
killed the sirens in the desert
and found the game to be pretty fun.

I chose the 'Spartan' Difficulty...(2nd hardest)...and at this point I wish i had chosen the hardest...seems a little too easy.

Really looking forward to finishing this one up and firing up part two...is there a big graphical leap between 1 and 2? Despite the age the update of 1 looks pretty decent to me.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, with GOW 1, i finished it last night and only have 2 trophies to go.

--Challenge of the Gods (or whatever its called)
--Beat the game in under 5 hrs

I keep hearing about this cow costume with unlimited magic. Is that something that i can use for my 2nd playthrough? I imagine that will help greatly in beating it under 5 hrs. How do i get this costume?

Any general tips for those two trophies?

Az

Guys I'm tired as fuck.

Picked this up last night, and played until 2am. Woke up at 6 for work.

I am close to the end of GOW1, cant wait to start 2.

Footos22

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok, with GOW 1, i finished it last night and only have 2 trophies to go.

--Challenge of the Gods (or whatever its called)
--Beat the game in under 5 hrs

I keep hearing about this cow costume with unlimited magic. Is that something that i can use for my 2nd playthrough? I imagine that will help greatly in beating it under 5 hrs. How do i get this costume?

Any general tips for those two trophies?

I think you get the cow costume after the challenge of the gods. so do that first.
i just spammed poseidons rage pretty much the whole way through my speed run.
skipped all fights that were skippable (the sewers) etc. Only took 3 hours.
just upgrade poseidons rage and your blades just run past all fights where you dont have to fight and its super easy.

Challenge of the gods is pretty simple.
one challenge where you use the massive crossbow just start pulling back on the bow when an enemy walks past 1 o clock and you'll never miss.

Challenge 8 was the hardest i found.
Good tip is to spam air l1 + hold circle and just do that through the whole challenge rolling when the gorgons have their gaze activated and you'll probably knock most of them over the edge. Takes ages.

Challenge 10 is just a matter of keep tapping block then counter and stay away from the edge until the platform to jump up to is in range. This one was easier then 8 i found.
You have to do them all in one go though as it doesnt save your progress which is a pain.
but worth the shiny gold trophy.

Combichristoffersen said:
The hydra is also arguably one of the best first boss encounters ever. Not as insane as the colossi of GoW II, but still pretty damn awesome.

I guess I'm in the minority when I say that I think the Hydra was way more exciting then the colossus. But maybe I'm just see the colossus as an attempt to one up the hydra sequence.

Paznos

Was up til 2:30 in the morning doing the Challenge of the Gods OMG that was brutal! but finally got my Gold trophy and all that's left is the speedrun and kissing the Nyad trophy(can't believe I missed it the first time)

crispyben

JWong said:
Ugh... I just bought GoW Collections and... lo and behold my GoW3 Demo code doesn't work.

Anyone else have this problem?
Add me to the list. Bought the game from VG+ in Canada, so everything is bilingual. TRied to redeem the code on the US account I use to buy on the US PSN, and it says the code is invalid... I'll try to make a Canadian account, but it doesn't look like it'll be successful. Any update on this problem?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
De4th Strike said:
I think you get the cow costume after the challenge of the gods. so do that first.
i just spammed poseidons rage pretty much the whole way through my speed run.
skipped all fights that were skippable (the sewers) etc. Only took 3 hours.
just upgrade poseidons rage and your blades just run past all fights where you dont have to fight and its super easy.

Challenge of the gods is pretty simple.
one challenge where you use the massive crossbow just start pulling back on the bow when an enemy walks past 1 o clock and you'll never miss.

Challenge 8 was the hardest i found.
Good tip is to spam air l1 + hold circle and just do that through the whole challenge rolling when the gorgons have their gaze activated and you'll probably knock most of them over the edge. Takes ages.

Challenge 10 is just a matter of keep tapping block then counter and stay away from the edge until the platform to jump up to is in range. This one was easier then 8 i found.
You have to do them all in one go though as it doesnt save your progress which is a pain.
but worth the shiny gold trophy.

Good lord, that sounds horrible.....

Thanks for the tips. If anyone has tips for all 10 challenges, that would be awesome!!

Top Bottom