• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

roxya

Anyone else prefer the GoW1 countering system? Sure, reflecting projectiles is actually a great new mechanic, but I loved the old physical counter. Choice between square and triangle, I usually chose square. Love seeing enemies do that mid-air barrel roll.

onken

Damn anyone got any pointers on beating the Ares on hard? Is it even possible to avoid his "army of hades" attack, because no matter what I do or how many times I roll I always get hit :( Also I'll be in close combat when he'll do that unblockable fireball back-spike combo and it's all over. There's got to be something I'm missing here...

onken

Yay beat him, cheers. Damn I hate it when games do that "do you want to switch to easy mode" bullshit. Yes, that's right, I got through the entire game on hard but now I want to change to easy mode on the final boss because I died a few times. I wish there was a damn "do not ask again" option.

Anyway, had a go at challenge of the gods, glag level 8 is solid. I can dispatch all the soldiers piece of cake (about 9 red orb bars) but just can't survive the medusa onslaught. They just keep on coming and always do that dash attack from off screen while I'm in the middle of a combo :(

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
onken said:
Yay beat him, cheers. Damn I hate it when games do that "do you want to switch to easy mode" bullshit. Yes, that's right, I got through the entire game on hard but now I want to change to easy mode on the final boss because I died a few times. I wish there was a damn "do not ask again" option.

Anyway, had a go at challenge of the gods, glag level 8 is solid. I can dispatch all the soldiers piece of cake (about 9 red orb bars) but just can't survive the medusa onslaught. They just keep on coming and always do that dash attack from off screen while I'm in the middle of a combo :(

Cake. Jump in the air and use L1 + circle. Rinse and repeat. ONE THING.....do NOT do this when the medusas are using their gaze. You will land and they will turn you to stone. Repeat the L1 + circle move, and just roll when the medusas do their gaze. When they are not gazing, do the L1 + circle. I used this method and took care of challenge 8 on my 3rd try. Died the first two times before realizing that i shouldnt use that move when the medusas are gazing.

If you think 8 is tough, wait until 10....:lol What worked for 10 is below...

Keep jumping and hitting L1 + X and aim at the pricks with the staffs that keep trying to throw you off. When its just the little dogs do an L1 + circle in the air to knock them off. You'll get to the top in no time, and be able to beat it.

onken

On the plus side, I got every trophy except the speed run one on my first go.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Cake. Jump in the air and use L1 + circle. Rinse and repeat. ONE THING.....do NOT do this when the medusas are using their gaze. You will land and they will turn you to stone. Repeat the L1 + circle move, and just roll when the medusas do their gaze. When they are not gazing, do the L1 + circle. I used this method and took care of challenge 8 on my 3rd try. Died the first two times before realizing that i shouldnt use that move when the medusas are gazing.

Keep jumping and hitting L1 + X and aim at the pricks with the staffs that keep trying to throw you off. When its just the little dogs do an L1 + circle in the air to knock them off. You'll get to the top in no time, and be able to beat it.

Thanks for tips, I'll try it first thing tomorrow :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mr_Furious said:
Thanks for the reply. So this collection makes everything about the PS2 games better? I just want to be sure before I offload these games.

I haven't played the PS2 versions, but I can't imagine they're better in any way. The only thing that isn't perfect in the GoWC versions is the stark contrast between the pre-recorded in-engine cutscenes (which aren't remade, and therefore are low-res and ugly) and gameplay (which looks so much sharper and better). But that's just a matter of these versions looking so much better, not of anything looking worse. Other than that, everything is pretty much perfect.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
fuck me, I forgot how great God 2 was.

<3 this series

RoadHazard said:
I haven't played the PS2 versions, but I can't imagine they're better in any way. The only thing that isn't perfect in the GoWC versions is the stark contrast between the pre-recorded in-engine cutscenes (which aren't remade, and therefore are low-res and ugly) and gameplay (which looks so much sharper and better). But that's just a matter of these versions looking so much better, not of anything looking worse. Other than that, everything is pretty much perfect.
Buh-bye PS2 versions. Thanks for the replies, guys. Much appreciated!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
when I first played both games, there was some doubt in mind about which God of War was better, but replaying them now, I have no qualms in saying that God 2 is the superior game in nearly every aspect.

Better combat (it might be in my head, but it feels like I can block and dodge much more fluidly in God 2), better art/visuals, more varied locations, better story (Kratos' dark past didn't really resonate that much with me, but the story of a fallen God of War taking revenge against Zeus is so much cooler to me. The mythology is just used in a cooler way), better upgrade system, better magic, better level-design, better balancing, waaaay better bosses (and there's a LOT of them, compared to the first games three or so), better QTEs -- the list goes on! It feels like a current-gen game, whereas there are a few niggling issues in God of War 1 that remind me that it's very much a PS2 game (and arguably the first of it's kind, really, so it's not necessarily a knock on the game). It's the very definition of bigger, better and more badass, I guess.

I really regret playing through the game for the first time on Easy. I'm playing through on Normal now, and the game is just so well tuned. At the time, the few difficulty spikes in God 1 scared me away from picking Normal in God 2.

I hope God 3 steps up its game in the same way!

onken

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Both those techniques worked a charm, you rock. Just the speed run left to do!

e~ can you still get the trophy on easy? Just want to charge through it.

ee~ I guess so since it says any difficulty

Thrakier

Rez said:
fuck me, I forgot how great God 2 was.

<3 this series

And it looks awesome in HD. Much better than I expected. In fact there are current game games which look worse. Maybe not techwise but overall...

onken

Just to mention, this game uses that awful forced 1080p scaling (Bioshock, MGS4, NGS etc). I have a Samsung 1080p LCD and the IQ is considerably better after disabling 1080i/p on the XMB.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
onken said:
Both those techniques worked a charm, you rock. Just the speed run left to do!

e~ can you still get the trophy on easy? Just want to charge through it.

ee~ I guess so since it says any difficulty

Awesome!!! :lol

Im doing my speedrun too right now on easy using the Dairy Bastard costume (unlimited magic). Skip as many fights as you can, and the ones you need to do, spam the magic like crazy. When your traversing long areas, dont just run, roll with R3. You'll travel areas much faster.

ShinAmano

Ok...answer me this...

I am new to GoW...and I am playing on Hard...the game is pretty easy...I am at the spot where apparently I can do the infinite orb glitch. (Harpy)

I have upgraded the blades to lvl 4 but not touched anything else (none of it seemed to be worth anything).

Anyhow...do I have enough time left in the game to upgrade everything?

Is the glitch easy to do?

Should I bother (do I gain anything by maxing everything out)?

Do weapon upgrades carry over to the next run?

Thanks.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
ShinAmano said:
Ok...answer me this...

I am new to GoW...and I am playing on Hard...the game is pretty easy...I am at the spot where apparently I can do the infinite orb glitch. (Harpy)

I have upgraded the blades to lvl 4 but not touched anything else (none of it seemed to be worth anything).

Anyhow...do I have enough time left in the game to upgrade everything?

Is the glitch easy to do?

Should I bother (do I gain anything by maxing everything out)?

Do weapon upgrades carry over to the next run?

Thanks.

Theres actually an infinite orb glitch in two spots....the harpy one youre talking about and in the final battle with ares. For that one, you will get to a point in the battle where you start hitting timed button presses to end the battle. You first will rapidly hit circle, and then youll have to hit circle. After you do the single circle press, DONT hit the next button. Youll get 1,000 or so red orbs, and ares will knock you back. Then just repeat that process until you maxed out whats left. This is the method that i did for the 'max out' trophy in the first playthrough.

Thrakier

onken said:
Just to mention, this game uses that awful forced 1080p scaling (Bioshock, MGS4, NGS etc). I have a Samsung 1080p LCD and the IQ is considerably better after disabling 1080i/p on the XMB.

Really? What does look different? I use 1080p and it looks mighty fine to me...

roxya

Thrakier said:
Really? What does look different? I use 1080p and it looks mighty fine to me...

Yeah, I can't imagine the IQ being any better. It's one of the cleanest things I've ever played. And since when is the PS3 internal upscaler 'awful'? Lots of people actually force 1080p as their TV upscales worse than the console.

ShinAmano

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Theres actually an infinite orb glitch in two spots....the harpy one youre talking about and in the final battle with ares. For that one, you will get to a point in the battle where you start hitting timed button presses to end the battle. You first will rapidly hit circle, and then youll have to hit circle. After you do the single circle press, DONT hit the next button. Youll get 1,000 or so red orbs, and ares will knock you back. Then just repeat that process until you maxed out whats left. This is the method that i did for the 'max out' trophy in the first playthrough.
Cool...didn't even know about the trophy. Thanks.

krae_man

How are you guys not maxing everything? I've always maxed everything on every playthrough without any trouble.

Do you all ignore the red orb boxes? some give you a crap load of orbs.

ShinAmano

krae_man said:
How are you guys not maxing everything? I've always maxed everything on every playthrough without any trouble.

Do you all ignore the red orb boxes? some give you a crap load of orbs.
Like I said this is my first GoW play...I was at the part with the infinite glitch and was wondering if it was needed. I have the blades at lvl 4 and have about 4k red orbs...nothing else has been leveled up...so I was concerned that I would not have enough to max out everything...I did not know there was a trophy for it...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
brownfedora said:
how long do gow1 and gow2 take on normal?
God 1 is a 6-7 hour game on Normal, God 2 is about 9-10 hours. But I'm a fairly competent player. If you get stuck at puzzles or certain combat arenas, expect that to be a bigger number, obviously.

Apart from the visuals there are no other things altered in the GoW Collection, right? Of friend of mine doesn't believe me. She thinks she has less time in the spiked room (Cliffs of Madness, GoW1) than the people who put videos of that room on Youtube :lol

timkunedo

Notorious_Roy said:
Apart from the visuals there are no other things altered in the GoW Collection, right? Of friend of mine doesn't believe me. She thinks she has less time in the spiked room (Cliffs of Madness, GoW1) than the people who put videos of that room on Youtube :lol

I thought the same thing. I compared it to a vid of the ps2 version on youtube and i could have swore i had about 4-5 seconds less. I did it finally, but sheesh that room was a pain.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nope, that room has always been a bitch. the trick is to drag it all the way around the corner, then kick it slightly at the very end, then jump for dear life.

teiresias

Notorious_Roy said:

This wouldn't surprise me, as I had that impression - and got frustrated enough that I posted on the official forums about it - though I had more issues just getting Kratos to grab onto the cliff than anything else.

Then again, I'm one of those who's always thought that single "puzzle" nearly single-handedly ruins the game and very nearly made it bargain-bin worthy upon release. If you have issues with it you're stuck doing it over and over and over and over and over. It completely stops the momentum of the game and keeps you from doing anymore fighting, which is the main focus of the games and what I play them for mainly. In fact, the two games are full of moments like that, though I feel that room in GoW1 is by far the worst offender.

Anyway, GoW2 - does anyone have any advice for the Challenge of the Titans #4 (I think), the one where you have to defend the translator for some ungodly length of time? Would I be better off using the sword, which is still Lv.1 rather than my fully charged blades? I get to what feels like the tenth wave and just can't seem to make him last long enough.

Doubledex

Banned
godofwar3collectors_15340_screen.jpg

ige6gccjmqa.jpg

MINE!!!! :O

Oni Jazar

I've been playing through GOW1 for the first time and it's absolutely mindblowingly awesome. I thought it would be just an above standard adventure with giant bosses and cool music but I'm constantly amazed at how the levels are designed and the variety of locations and obstacles!

I've been playing through on hard difficulty and it's been a perfect match for me. The battles are intense and you really need to time your attacks and blocks right or you'll get wasted. Every arena and boss fight has had just the right amount of difficulty for me. I just beat the
Minotaur
and it was really an epic battle. I swear by the end both of us were exhausted and just taking pot-shots at each other until he finally fell!

This game really beats the crap of so many games out there it's not even funny. Can't wait to get to GOW2 & 3.

KAOz

Short bus special
Just a quick question regarding the GoW 3 demo, and there are quite alot of pages, so sorry if it has been answered.

But, is the Code-version that you get via the Collection shareable? My mate got a code when he imported the collection, and well, just curious.

onken

roxya said:
Yeah, I can't imagine the IQ being any better. It's one of the cleanest things I've ever played. And since when is the PS3 internal upscaler 'awful'? Lots of people actually force 1080p as their TV upscales worse than the console.

Yeah that's right, I'm making the whole thing up for shits and giggles *rolleyes*. I don't know the technical details behind it, but I can guarantee you there are several games that look considerably better on my TV when the PS3 is outputting 720p, GoWC is one of them.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Awesome!!! :lol

Im doing my speedrun too right now on easy using the Dairy Bastard costume (unlimited magic). Skip as many fights as you can, and the ones you need to do, spam the magic like crazy. When your traversing long areas, dont just run, roll with R3. You'll travel areas much faster.

I doubt really any of that is needed, quite frankly. My first playthrough was extremely slow, found pretty much every chest and secret, did loads of experimenting/exploring and my playthrough time was only 7.5 hours.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Got my 'under 5 hr' trophy last nite and my platinum!!!!! :D

Using the Dairy Bastard costume and playing on easy, my final playtime was 3 hrs, and 30 minutes.

Starting GOW2 tonite, and i cant wait!!!

God of War 2 looked incredible in this collection. Particularly some of the more ornate temples with the tapestries, statues, reflections, beams of light, etc, it could have easily passed for current gen. It made the Dante's Inferno demo seem more underwhelming than it probably should have been.

Tadale

I just got the game. Am I missing something, or can I just not find the code? Was the code only available with a limited run of the collection?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Finally beat the damn challenge rooms. It only took me about 40-60 minutes to get through the first 9 arenas, but the last arena took me a damn hour! Fuck that shit. Not doing that ever again.

Wario64 said:
Finally beat the damn challenge rooms. It only took me about 40-60 minutes to get through the first 9 arenas, but the last arena took me a damn hour! Fuck that shit. Not doing that ever again.

R1 + X = easy mode. I got the platform to the top and stayed for an extra minute because I thought it wasn't over.

Top Bottom