• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War - Ghost of Sparta |OT| of TC Carson yelling

kuYuri

cool_trainer said:
I redeemed my code, but my Kratos avatar didn't show up ;,(
Others on the PS blog have this problem as well, anyone else?

I didn't get the avatar as well. Seems like it's becoming an issue.

Seriously, can anyone help me? Why did I not recieve the soundtrack, dynaic theme and other things upon picking up my pre-order at gamestop? Do they not carry it? Is it just for the bundle. I'm returning this shit because I didn't pre-order just for a lousy arena map.... I'll pick it up elsewhere as i did with LBP psp when they fucked me over with that dlc as well.

Jb

Just bought this from the psn store, and they throw in the OST, some skins and dynamic themes for free with the game itslef. That's a pretty nice touch.

Shadow780

Splat said:
Those of you that ordered via Amazon, did you get your pre-order code via email or in the package?

email.

The Documentary is very insightful and interesting. Definitely the nicest bonus of 'em all.

Carlisle

Combichristoffersen said:
Got this in the mail today, and.. yeah, no, thing is pretty mediocre.

Nah. Shit's awesomesauce. I'm only about an hour-90 minutes into the game, and it's already been jam-packed with action. And the graphics, zomg, the graphics. They made my penis explode with Spartan rage.

BTW: http://kotaku.com/5680108/kratos-vs-a-sandwich
Seriously. I dunno if it was because I was playing at 1 am with sleepy eyes or because I'm on a Go with more condensed pixels, but what I saw was almost exactly like the screens in the OP. Bullshots my ass, they're strikingly close to the real deal. I haven't done a side-by-side yet, but I said holy fucking shit during the opening in-game cinematic.

Jaradakar

Carlisle said:
Seriously. I dunno if it was because I was playing at 1 am with sleepy eyes or because I'm on a Go with more condensed pixels, but what I saw was almost exactly like the screens in the OP. Bullshots my ass, they're strikingly close to the real deal. I haven't done a side-by-side yet, but I said holy fucking shit during the opening in-game cinematic.

Our engine has the ability to up the resolution of screen shots. It will break down the current image on the into 16 pieces (or more). Then it will slowly take pictures each of those 16 sections (each the size of the PSP resolution). We then stitch those together to form the higher resolution screen shots.

This process will remove the jaggys that are a limitation of the PSP. So in effect you're seeing our "real art" not limited by hardware. Sometimes in the stitching process we will get a few artifacts or minor lighting issues which are sometimes touched up. But overall very little if any photoshop is done to them.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just killed
Erinys. Goddamn what an annoying twat she was
:lol Loving this game so far, definitely a huge step up from Chains of Olympus :D

Salsa

Jaradakar said:
Our engine has the ability to up the resolution of screen shots. It will break down the current image on the into 16 pieces (or more). Then it will slowly take pictures each of those 16 sections (each the size of the PSP resolution). We then stitch those together to form the higher resolution screen shots.

This process will remove the jaggys that are a limitation of the PSP. So in effect you're seeing our "real art" not limited by hardware. Sometimes in the stitching process we will get a few artifacts or minor lighting issues which are sometimes touched up. But overall very little if any photoshop is done to them.

Hey other psp devs, take note.

Just killed
Erinys. Goddamn what an annoying twat she was
:lol Loving this game so far, definitely a huge step up from Chains of Olympus :D

The first time she walks away was like damn them some fluid animations.

Jb

Alright, around 1h30 into GoS and I gotta say, as someone who wasn't a big fan of Chains of Olympus, I'm extremly impressed by what this game does. The pacing is just miles better, the new abilities/weapons are great additions to the combat, and the engine is just incredible. Seriously, the fire effects are better than in assassin's creed and plenty of other current gen games :lol .I'm playing with a gaming headset and I also really appreciate the efforts that went into the sound design. I wonder if it'll go downhill from here or if it'll keep surprise me.

Congratz Readyatdawn :D . Btw I was surprised that the Santa Monica logo appears first when you boot the game, were they really much more involved in the development of GoS?

Kuran

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Other PSP devs should take note of how to bullshot screens better? What?

... this game looks _gorgeous_ and, besides the technical prowess of the Unreal engine on IOS, it is by far the best looking handheld game. (Not talking about the art, just that... it looks like a moving painting at times.)

Now if only the gameplay was fun enough to justify playing it when not on the toilet.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Finally downloaded the director's video and felt cheated since no one talked about God of War: Betrayal

Kuran

Banned
Seriously, when playing it, I almost feel as if I am playing God of War 3 on a portable, it's that impressive.

Combichristoffersen

About 4 hours in, currently at
the flooded hallway in Atlantis part deux
. This game is really, really impressive. Ready at Dawn must have used some incantations from the Necronomicon to wring such beastly powers out of the PSP.

Kuran said:
Seriously, when playing it, I almost feel as if I am playing God of War 3 on a portable, it's that impressive.

It looks great, but GoW 3 on a portable? C'mon son, it doesn't look that good.

Jaradakar

Jay-B said:
Alright, around 1h30 into GoS and I gotta say, as someone who wasn't a big fan of Chains of Olympus, I'm extremly impressed by what this game does. The pacing is just miles better, the new abilities/weapons are great additions to the combat, and the engine is just incredible. Seriously, the fire effects are better than in assassin's creed and plenty of other current gen games :lol .I'm playing with a gaming headset and I also really appreciate the efforts that went into the sound design. I wonder if it'll go downhill from here or if it'll keep surprise me.

Congratz Readyatdawn :D . Btw I was surprised that the Santa Monica logo appears first when you boot the game, were they really much more involved in the development of GoS?

TY TY! :)

Yeah... not sure why it comes first but lets just say that's not the order that the credits are listed :)

Combichristoffersen

Currently at
Death's Domain
. Amazing game. But those goddamn
underwater moving walls
, hnnnnngh fuuuuu~

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
"real" screens
pq3oV.png

3l7uc.png

qV0Ux.png

S5E8z.png

CWKk9.png

a57E4.png

WZY4q.png

fBlTO.png

GLgPX.png

bjI7X.png

I bought this on PSN today and downloaded the game and nearly 3GBs of extras... Haven't looked at anything else yet but I'm a couple hours into the game and all I can say is WOAH! This is a fantastic title! The pacing and story are great so far, control is excellent, and the game is better looking than any GoW title barring III, imho... an absolute must buy for any PSP owner!

SalsaShark said:
No, they should take notes on how to make a game look this good.

Which has got absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted.

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
I bought this on PSN today and downloaded the game and nearly 3GBs of extras... Haven't looked at anything else yet but I'm a couple hours into the game and all I can say is WOAH! This is a fantastic title! The pacing and story are great so far, control is excellent, and the game is better looking than any GoW title barring III, imho... an absolute must buy for any PSP owner!

How big is the game itself and what firmware version does it require?

SalsaShark said:
?

dont get it, i quoted what he was saying.

What "he was saying" was a description of how they produce their bullshots. He never mentioned anything about how they manage they make good use of the PSP hardware.

Implementing tiled screenshots into a PSP engine isn't going to improve the graphics.

Salsa

brain_stew said:
What "he was saying" was a description of how they produce their bullshots. He never mentioned anything about how they manage they make good use of the PSP hardware.

Implementing tiled screenshots into a PSP engine isn't going to improve the graphics.

He interpreted what i was saying as if i was refering to the bullshots, he quoted me. I quoted him and explained what i was actually refering to.

SalsaShark said:
It certainly looks like the ps2 games, if not better

Its "close", but there's still a significant gap. The framerate is just about halved, the polygon count is clearly lower and like all PSP games, the resolution is much lower. Its easily the most impressive looking PSP game of course, but that doesn't mean its a match for the best of the PS2's offerings.

SalsaShark said:
He interpreted what i was saying as if i was refering to the bullshots, he quoted me. I quoted him and explained what i was actually refering to.

The problem is that your explanation made no sense at all in relation to what you were quoting. Anyway, it doesn't matter.

Zen

Banned
brain_stew said:
Its "close", but there's still a significant gap. The framerate is just about halved, the polygon count is clearly lower and like all PSP games, the resolution is much lower. Its easily the most impressive looking PSP game of course, but that doesn't mean its a match for the best of the PS2's offerings.

Eh, visually it's more than up to par with those games. It really shows that it's a title made in 2010 as oppose to a couple years ago. The technological know how is much better these days. The game also has effects not present in the original PS2 games that really help the art shine. Even things like the modeling, although the game is probably lower poly, is much better than I or II.

Oneself

I'm about 2-3 hours into it and I must say that, so far, it's what GOW3 should have been in terms of pacing. Yes, I did that. If it stays that way until the end, it might very well be my favorite in the series right after GOW2.

anddo0

2 hours in, truly epic so far. I can't believe they were able to pull this off on PSP. One of the better God of War games for sure.

Combichristoffersen

Just finished it, and holy smokes, this is good. Nay, great. Amazing. That final boss, zomg. Ready at Dawn, your game is awesomesauce *salutes*

And there's new game+ too :D Just started my second playthrough. Time to grind for red orbs..

Takao

Banned
brain_stew said:

It's 1.14GB in size. It probably uses 6.31 (I wouldn't be able to tell you, as PSN downloads don't have an update section, given that you have to update to access the store).

Just finished it, and holy smokes, this is good. Nay, great. Amazing. That final boss, zomg. Ready at Dawn, your game is awesomesauce *salutes*

And there's new game+ too :D Just started my second playthrough. Time to grind for red orbs..

You can also get orbs from the
arena mode
even though some reviewer said you could not.

Blablurn

oh, fuck. i think i will buy this game as well. thank god the psn release is not that expensive (yeah, i'm a GO owner).

brain_stew said:
Which has got absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted.

I would also like to know a definite answer to this. My Go is 6.20 and is staying at that for the new HEN firmware, but i'd really like to get this now rather than get the UMD, rip the ISO with my PSP-2000, then wait for HEN + an ISO loader to be released.

Chains of Olympus felt like God of War Jr. to me (which was fine, different expectations being a handheld and all), but OH. MY. Just over an hour in, and this is a Big Boy God of War for sure. Amazing looking, epic, and varied level design that doesn't limit itself to boring monster arena battles. One of those games I'm forcing myself to put down so I can stretch it out longer.....I don't want to beat it in one night, I wanna savour the carnage :D

Salsa

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Chains of Olympus felt like God of War Jr. to me (which was fine, different expectations being a handheld and all), but OH. MY. Just over an hour in, and this is a Big Boy God of War for sure. Amazing looking, epic, and varied level design that doesn't limit itself to boring monster arena battles. One of those games I'm forcing myself to put down so I can stretch it out longer.....I don't want to beat it in one night, I wanna savour the carnage :D

I say finish it and do new game+ on hard.

Def Jukie

Played this for about and hour and a half tonight and it is fantastic. This is already so much better than Chains of Olympus and I really enjoyed that game. I am very pleased to see that the bonus videos from the first GOW were clearly the basis for this game. That stuff always seemed so much more interesting to me than what we got in GOW II. Great work Ready at Dawn. Really looking forward to playing more tomorrow. :D

Salsa

Def Jukie said:
Played this for about and hour and a half tonight and it is fantastic. This is already so much better than Chains of Olympus and I really enjoyed that game. I am very pleased to see that the bonus videos from the first GOW were clearly the basis for this game. That stuff always seemed so much more interesting to me than what we got in GOW II.

Same.

I really liked GOW's story, it had the whole greek tragedy thing going and it was done very well. Kratos was an interesting character, he had you know, emotions other than "AWWRRGHH LETS KILL EVERYONE" i mean dude even tried to kill himself. I was sad to see they took a dump all over that in GOW II (and III), glad this is more story-focused.

anddo0

Can you bump up the difficulty?

I started on normal, kinda regretting it, but I'm too far in.

Top Bottom