• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War - Ghost of Sparta |OT| of TC Carson yelling

Graphics are fucking amazing what the FUCK

Gameplay wise, it's just God of War, which is all I want, it's all I need it to be. I'd have to play Chains of Olympus back to back with this to appreciate any mechanical changes, really. I'd guess the basic throw is different. I do know I dislike having to press both shoulder buttons to dodge, but I recall getting used to that in the previous game.

Nothing's ever innovative or surprising in these games, but I still always get excited to play them because they're so beautiful and well designed, it's fun just to see what comes next. I love seeing the world and coating it in the gore of enemies new and old and I never seem to get tired of it.

Just picked up my copy. Can't wait to start. :D

:lol @ people buying the Deimos code on Ebay...is it not in all copies or something? It says it right on the box of mine.

And best...(digital) preorder bonus...ever? That digital "ultimate bundle" has like 8 items. 2 part documentary, exclusive avatar (that they more than likely won't release to the public and few will have), costume for GoS, full official soundtrack, PSP theme, PS3 premium dynamic theme....I feel bad for people who missed out. So glad I was able to score this.

jetsetfluken said:
Just picked up my copy. Can't wait to start. :D

:lol @ people buying the Deimos code on Ebay...is it not in all copies or something? It says it right on the box of mine.

And best...(digital) preorder bonus...ever? That digital "ultimate bundle" has like 8 items. 2 part documentary, exclusive avatar (that they more than likely won't release to the public and few will have), costume for GoS, full official soundtrack, PSP theme, PS3 premium dynamic theme....I feel bad for people who missed out. So glad I was able to score this.
if I own a regular psp 3000 I can download this on to my memory stick and get the pre-order bonuses right?

tzare

This game is awesome.Both gameplay and GFX are really good. Reminds me of first GOW, a lot. However, they need to stop for a while or give it a twist because GOW IP is starting to be 'abused'. Too many games in a short period of time.

SixStringPsycho said:
if I own a regular psp 3000 I can download this on to my memory stick and get the pre-order bonuses right?

The bonus is one code that unlocks all the seperate items on the Playstation Store...yes you can redeem it through either a PSP or PS3. Some content is only viewable/usable on PS3 or PSP though, but the downloads will all be there in your download history list through the Store.

But if you're asking if you can buy (download) the digital non-UMD version of this from the Store, no, you won't get the Deimos GoW3 costume nor the preorder Ultimate DLC bundle.

anddo0

The city of
Sparta
is.... Wow! it's like something ripped right out of Uncharted 2. How the hell did they pull this off?

jetsetfluken said:
But if you're asking if you can buy (download) the digital non-UMD version of this from the Store, no, you won't get the Deimos GoW3 costume nor the preorder Ultimate DLC bundle.
The PSblog has the game in the store update listed with a note that if you buy it by November 23rd, you'll get the massive pre-order bundle.

PlayStation Store Update from this week said:
God of War: Ghost of Sparta ($39.99)
In his quest to rid himself of the nightmares that haunt him, Kratos must embark on a journey that will reveal the origins of blahblahblah
Limited Time Offer – Purchase the digital version of God of War: Ghost of Sparta from 11/2/10 to 11/23/10 and receive the ultimate DLC bundle for FREE.

matmanx1

Just started today on Ghost of Sparta while I was waiting on some auto maintenance to finish. The game is a treat to look at and play and made the 1+ hour I was in the waiting room go by really, really quickly. Not very far in obviously but kudos to Ready at Dawn and the God of War team for another great experience.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
The PSblog has the game in the store update listed with a note that if you buy it by November 23rd, you'll get the massive pre-order bundle.

Oh, I see. I hope everybody finds out about it too late so I can be the only one with the content and new Kratos avatar. :D
As for the Deimos code, it seems like it's only shipping with (US) first prints or preorder copies.

bumpkin

I've still got to enter the code I got from GameStop for the ultimate DLC bundle. It's a little disconcerting that it seems to be setup to deliver everything through PSN; I was hoping for a nice pack of MP3s (the soundtrack) via the web for ease of transfer into my iTunes library.

jetsetfluken said:
Oh, I see. I hope everybody finds out about it too late so I can be the only one with the content and new Kratos avatar. :D
As for the Deimos code, it seems like it's only shipping with (US) first prints or preorder copies.
I checked the PSN Store entry, and it also has the Deimos skin there. The only thing not in the PSN Store bundle is the Forest of the Forgotten combat arena that was exclusive to Gamestop.

tzare

anddo0 said:
The city of Sparta is.... Wow! it's like something ripped right out of Uncharted 2. How the hell did they pull this off?

that part is just amazing. I 'd love to see something like Oblivion on PSP with that quality.

Carlisle

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I checked the PSN Store entry, and it also has the Deimos skin there. The only thing not in the PSN Store bundle is the Forest of the Forgotten combat arena that was exclusive to Gamestop.
Yeah, I got it on PSN for my Go and have all the preorder bundle items, including the Deimos skin, avatar, themes, videos, etc. No Forest of the Forgotten though.

TripOpt55

Anyone know why the demo isn't working on my PSP? It gets through the credits at the beginning (Sony, RaD, SSM) then goes black and my PSP shuts off. Any idea what's going on here?

Kifimbo

TripOpt55 said:
Anyone know why the demo isn't working on my PSP? It gets through the credits at the beginning (Sony, RaD, SSM) then goes black and my PSP shuts off. Any idea what's going on here?

It happened to me when I started it the first time. Tried again and it worked.

Carlisle

TripOpt55 said:
Happened to me on my Go, even after repeated restarts, and alternating between loading from the m2 stick and the system memory, and downloading from PS3 and transferring over. It was all the same.

Someone here told me to pause the game on the Santa Monica logo (or whichever one that comes up before the freeze). Then back on the XMB, reload that paused game and it'll work fine. Only works with Go of course since you need that save state pause feature. It was good for me, but then the demo frozen again later on in the demo and by that point I just said fuck it.

I'm passed both points on the full version though so no worries about that.

TripOpt55

Kifimbo said:
It happened to me when I started it the first time. Tried again and it worked.
I had tried it like 3 times, but read your post and figured I'd give it one more go and it worked this time :lol Off to try it now.

Carlisle said:
Happened to me on my Go, even after repeated restarts, and alternating between loading from the m2 stick and the system memory, and downloading from PS3 and transferring over. It was all the same.

Someone here told me to pause the game on the Santa Monica logo (or whichever one that comes up before the freeze). Then back on the XMB, reload that paused game and it'll work fine. Only works with Go of course since you need that save state pause feature. It was good for me, but then the demo frozen again later on in the demo and by that point I just said fuck it.

I'm passed both points on the full version though so no worries about that.
Well I got it to the title screen. Not sure if I'll get through it or not. I'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice though.

Edit: Made it through the demo. Not sure what those initial issues were. Good demo though. I enjoyed it.

Just finished it. Wow at the final battle and ending. I really liked the fact that this was an all-out action game with little to no puzzles. I enjoy the puzzles in the other GoW games, but it's nice to have one where it's non-stop fighting. Having said that,
I was a little surprised at the lack of boss battles, but the final boss made up for it in my eyes

So yeah, a great game. not sure where I'd rank it among the other God of War games, but if you own a PSP and enjoyed any of the PS2/PS2 GoW games, this is essential.

And yeah, the graphics are insane!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Just finished it. Wow at the final battle and ending. I really liked the fact that this was an all-out action game with little to no puzzles. I enjoy the puzzles in the other GoW games, but it's nice to have one where it's non-stop fighting. Having said that,
I was a little surprised at the lack of boss battles, but the final boss made up for it in my eyes

Actually, Ghost of Sparta has one boss battle more than Chains of Olympus. In Chains of Olympus, you fought
the Basilisk, the Persian King, the Basilisk again, Charon, Charon again and Persephone
. While in Ghost of Sparta you fight
Scylla, Scylla again, Kratos' mother Callisto, Erinys, Piraeus Lion, Deimos and Thanatos
, so Ghost of Sparta has more varied boss battles than the first PSP game.

This game seems too dark on the PSP 2000. I'm constantly checking to make sure I didn't accidentally hit the brightness button.

That's about my only complaint though :lol I'm 2.5 hours in but it feels like 20 minutes. Game just cruises. Coming right off Castlevania makes it feel even more polished and tight.

revolverjgw said:
This game seems too dark on the PSP 2000. I'm constantly checking to make sure I didn't accidentally hit the brightness button.

That's about my only complaint though :lol I'm 2.5 hours in but it feels like 20 minutes. Game just cruises. Coming right off Castlevania makes it feel even more polished and tight.

Ha, I was going to point this out as my only negative as well. I have a 1000 model and it seems pretty dark causing glares and refelections in litted areas. Just beat the
crow witch, err I mean the daughter of Thanatos
. WOW!

revolverjgw said:

You're god damn right it does.

Blablurn

just bought the PSN version! thanks to my fucking lame chinese internet it will take me about 1 day till i can play it. fuck.

Amir0x

Banned
I got my God of War: Ghost of Sparta PSP:

GoWPSP.jpg

NOW I'M READY FOR GHOST OF SPARTA (game is pretty sweet so far)

(lol they still make UMD movies!? Kick-Ass!? WTF!)

Combichristoffersen

Just finished it for the second time, with 999999 orbs, more than enough to
buy all the stuff in the Temple of Zeus, which opens the secret pathway that will lead you to the Gravedigger's Shovel, which lets you play as the Gravedigger (Zeus) in Arena Mode
:D

Amir0x said:
I got my God of War: Ghost of Sparta PSP:

GoWPSP.jpg

NOW I'M READY FOR GHOST OF SPARTA (game is pretty sweet so far)

(lol they still make UMD movies!? Kick-Ass!? WTF!)

That's one UGLY PSP! :lol

Trevelyan

Banned
brain_stew said:
Lies. I think that PSP is pretty damn sexy. Almost feel like selling my 3000 and getting that one. And yeah, this game is fucking amazing. My God. Hope to beat it tomorrow. As it stands now though, it might be my favorite in the series.

Amir0x

Banned
I actually dig the way it looks. That's why I got it. I was at the store and they had a unit out, and for some reason I just liked it better than my PSP. It looks like a game version of a droid phone or something, and I love that color scheme. So I traded my old PSP in and got this one.

tzare said:
This game is awesome.Both gameplay and GFX are really good. Reminds me of first GOW, a lot. However, they need to stop for a while or give it a twist because GOW IP is starting to be 'abused'. Too many games in a short period of time.
No doubt, we got TWO God of War games in the same fucking year. I hope we don't see Kratos again for at least two years.

Combichristoffersen

brain_stew said:

It's one of the best looking PSPs I've seen to date.

DevilWillcry said:
No doubt, we got TWO God of War games in the same fucking year. I hope we don't see Kratos again for at least two years.

Fuck that noise, I already want more God of War :(

bumpkin said:
I've still got to enter the code I got from GameStop for the ultimate DLC bundle. It's a little disconcerting that it seems to be setup to deliver everything through PSN; I was hoping for a nice pack of MP3s (the soundtrack) via the web for ease of transfer into my iTunes library.

I downloaded the OST to my PS3 then just used a USB drive to transfer it off to my PC. It's actually better they tied it to your account. There was an issue for GOW3's soundtrack where you had to redeem it from a website, if the download was interrupted or stopped you couldn't redownload your OST.

Salsa

That psp is beautiful man. I actually have a friend that modded his to look like that (before it was announced of course) and its awesome.

Square Triangle said:
I cannot wait to see what Ready At Dawn will do with PSP2.

Im actually pretty excited to see what they do next. They already said that they are done with the PSP, so they'll probably move to PS360.

KevinCow

Banned
I like how they brought in some of the little touches added to God of War 3. Like the camera's a bit more dynamic, sometimes pulling in to an almost over the shoulder or even first-person view, and how Kratos gets blood all over him.

haadim

Bought from psn store 2 days ago.

Special sale with extra skins for Kratos and soundtrack convinced me to go digital.

Played for about 3 hours straight and ...... man it is great!

The sense of scale is just unprecedented in a heldheld device I've seen.

Some scenes, I could not believe my eyes.

Definitely recommended.

SalsaShark said:
That psp is beautiful man. I actually have a friend that modded his to look like that (before it was announced of course) and its awesome.

Im actually pretty excited to see what they do next. They already said that they are done with the PSP, so they'll probably move to PS360.

Wonder if Sony will buy them up since they are one of the more talented development teams out there for the PSP.

Zen

Banned
SalsaShark said:

Source? I remember them making a show of that back after Chains of Olympus (with rumored bad blood between them and Sony), but that was well before they didn't really have anything to show on the console front, and Ghost of Sparta started. I get the impression taht their console plans didn't pan out.

I love how when
you get to Sparta
, the action stops and you get to just strut around seeing the sights, watching the people and fucking some bitches. Reminds me of the village from Uncharted 2. Why don't all the games have scenes like this, it's nice to see a corner of the GoW world that's NOT in a state of complete carnage.

aerts1js

I doubt they are working on anything on PS360. At the end of the Eurogamer interview they specifically state that they want to keep their team small so a safe assumption would be another hand held title.

They acknowledge they are done with the PSP which makes sense, kinda late to start development on a title so late in the system's lifespan.

PSP2 on the other hand....

Agent X

Ready at Dawn belted another one out of the park here. As great as God of War: Chains of Olympus was, Ghost of Sparta manages to improve on it.

If this is truly their last game for PSP, then they went out on a high note. Let's hope they're on board for PSP2 as well!

Spiegel

aerts1js said:
I doubt they are working on anything on PS360. At the end of the Eurogamer interview they specifically state that they want to keep their team small so a safe assumption would be another hand held title.

They acknowledge they are done with the PSP which makes sense, kinda late to start development on a title so late in the system's lifespan.

PSP2 on the other hand....

Everything points to a new story-driven adventure for PS3, 360 or both. Maybe 3DS.

But not PSP2

Have you had any experience with the PSP2?

No, people keep bringing that up, that is something that's not on our radar right now.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=273089

I hope they've found a good publisher because launching a new IP this late in the generation is very difficult.

Combichristoffersen said:
Actually, Ghost of Sparta has one boss battle more than Chains of Olympus. In Chains of Olympus, you fought
the Basilisk, the Persian King, the Basilisk again, Charon, Charon again and Persephone
. While in Ghost of Sparta you fight
Scylla, Scylla again, Kratos' mother Callisto, Erinys, Piraeus Lion, Deimos and Thanatos
, so Ghost of Sparta has more varied boss battles than the first PSP game.

Really? Probably just me coming off the back of GoW 3 earlier this year which had loads of really epic bosses.

Ridley327

I beat the game on Wednesday ("longer" my ass) and it's a solid game through and through. My biggest issue with it has to be one that's been brewing for a while: the rut of creative bankruptcy that the series has fallen into. With source material as incredibly strong as Greek mythology, having to fight minotaurs, cyclopes, skeletons and gorgons for the bajillionith time is lazy. Hell, the game opens up with Kratos manning another ship that gets beseiged by another giant sea monster! About the only thing that was surprising was
there was no trip to Hades.
In spite of this, what I did really like was the pacing is probably the strongest the series has seen since the first game and I'd argue it's better than that one since the endgame doesn't feel nearly as rushed (and the final boss fight is MUCH better, even if it is a bit on the easy side).

The graphics are definitely the best that the PSP has to offer (highlights include
anything regarding the volcano ESPECIALLY when you get dumped back out and you have that wonderful vista of the raging inferno, the second stage of the Erinys fight and getting caught in the typhoon leading the sunken Atlantis
, but the screen tearing is obscene. Some moments in the game (like
dragging King Midas to the lava flow and the big puzzle of the game in Atlantis
) got so bad that I was wondering if my PSP was crapping out. The lack of v-sync can really detract from some otherwise beautiful moments.

Everything else is...well, it's God of War. You pretty much know what to expect at this point and it doesn't really make any wild deviations from that (outside of the
stroll through Sparta
). The game shares CoO's overall ease and the much hyped secondary weapon was as much of a dud as I was expecting it to be (the magic is ridiculously overpowered, though :lol ), but it's still a fun time.

Aside:
I was expecting Steve Blum to make an appearance as Ares once again, but I definitely was not expecting Paul Eiding's long-overdue return as the Gravedigger. It made me sad to him get replaced so early on as the voice of Zeus, so having him return was a wonderful treat.

Just finished my first play through - the game is beautiful and awesome, but a little easy on Normal... I strongly recommend Hard for the GoW vets who are going through the game for the first time... of course, I feel like it was too short - mostly because I didn't want it to end! - but when I think that this is a handheld game, my mind boggles... I honestly feel that the PSP is my fave platform this gen! :lol

Peace Walker still earns my GotY vote, but GoS is a not-to-be-missed experience for GoW fans... (hmm, too many TLAs?)

OnPoint

I'm probably about an hour in so far. It really is a pretty game. That said, I'm feeling a little burnt out on the gameplay at this point in the series' lifecycle. I'll finish it, but mostly for the story. I hope they rest the series a tad after this.

Blablurn

played the first hour as well. oh my good, those graphics are amazing!!! too bad not every psp title looks like this :(

Top Bottom