• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War - Ghost of Sparta |OT| of TC Carson yelling

Dave1988

keltickennedy said:
The way the levels were structured in GoW 3 wouldn't of worked with a new game+ mode.
For instance, at the start of the game on the titan, once you drop down into the chest, what would stop the player from destroying the crystals surrounds its heart and killing it (now having the gauntlets right from the start.) Yes, they could of went through and canceled out all those weapon trigger effects till later in the game, but that is time they probably didn't have.

"Have", good sir, not "of".

And even with the Bonus Play glitch that enabled you to start the game with all your weapons maxed out, you couldn't destroy the crystals surrounding Gaia's heart during the whole Poseidon battle sequence.

Hell, if they're too busy to incorporate Bonus play via patch they could've at least leave the Bonus Play glitch alone but Nooooo, they had to go and "fix" it with the 1.03 patch.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You can get two GoW games + a PSP for $199?

Wow... I might have to jump on this. That seems like a great deal.

Jaradakar

Katana_Strikes said:
Finished it last night. Really enjoyed it. Last boss fight was good though easy. Gotta say it has the worst weapons/abilities of the series, the spear wasn't great. Length wise it was better than CoO by about 2 hours (finished this in 6 hrs) and a much more acceptable length. Was it me or did they not really try to hide the "hidden" chests very well in this game?

GoWII>GoWIII>GoW>GoW:GoS>GoW:CoO

Did you find the one in the hallway after the Minotaur Intro (Atlantis)?

Did you find the one, that requires you to jump up on top of a chest in Deaths Domain?

Spear tends to be more useful on the harder difficulties, at least that's what we've found.

Jaradakar

the_prime_mover said:
Just beat it. Overall I enjoyed it a lot more than CoO, and perhaps even GoW3. I love how they used many of the best elements from the other games while adding a bit more to the formula.

There was only one part at the very end where I felt that things were a bit cheap, but other than that the combat was fantastic. I kept hoping for a PSN (PS3) release while I was playing.

There seems to be a lot of additional content to keep me interested in the game, so this will probably be my PSP game for the next little while.

All in all I thing RaD had done a remarkable job with the game and the franchise. Though people could very well be burnt out by this point in the series (2 GoWs in one year), this is a worthy entry and a great sequel to the original game.

What was the one part at the end that felt cheap?

Thank you for the praise! It's interesting to see your opinion Vs those who have franchise fatigue and how it overall effects peoples opinions. I'd be curious to see how fans opinions would have been had the game been released 1-2 years after GOW3. I suspect overall it would have been more welcomed Vs releasing so soon to GOW3 (something that was of course out of our control).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Jaradakar said:
Did you find the one in the hallway after the Minotaur Intro (Atlantis)?

Did you find the one, that requires you to jump up on top of a chest in Deaths Domain?

Spear tends to be more useful on the harder difficulties, at least that's what we've found.

Found the first one at the first playthrough, as I'd already played the demo :lol

The second one,
if you mean the one where you have to use a stone block to get access to it
, I found on the second playthrough.

Jaradakar said:
Thank you for the praise! It's interesting to see your opinion Vs those who have franchise fatigue and how it overall effects peoples opinions. I'd be curious to see how fans opinions would have been had the game been released 1-2 years after GOW3. I suspect overall it would have been more welcomed Vs releasing so soon to GOW3 (something that was of course out of our control).

I don't mind it being released so close to GoW III (in fact I already crave more God of War..), but I definitely think it's one of the three best GoW games. I'm not sure if it's better than GoW III or not, but it's a great game nonetheless. I really liked how you handled the story, specifically Deimos
and his death. I really felt bad for Kratos there, when he lost the only remaining family member that mattered to him. He'd lost his wife and child, now his mother and brother were dead too, and the only thing that would keep him going was his desire for revenge against the gods that betrayed him.

PS: Santa Monica didn't give you guys any hints about what happened to Kratos at the end of GoW III, did they? :D

Jaradakar

The hardest secret chest to find is arguably in deaths domain
It requires you to stand on an existing chest and then jump up to a ledge and then pull yourself up to a secret location w/ another chest. The one you mentioned above, is not it ;-)

Thank you for the praise it really does mean a lot to us, we worked long and hard on this game! I also try to pass them along to the team :)

I think the biggest insight into GOW3's ending came from the directors commentary as one of the questions asked was how did you think GOW3 ended and how would you have done it differently.

If you've not watched it, I highly recommend it.

Combichristoffersen

Jaradakar said:
The hardest secret chest to find is arguably in deaths domain
It requires you to stand on an existing chest and then jump up to a ledge and then pull yourself up to a secret location w/ another chest. The one you mentioned above, is not it ;-)

Thank you for the praise it really does mean a lot to us, we worked long and hard on this game! I also try to pass them along to the team :)

I think the biggest insight into GOW3's ending came from the directors commentary as one of the questions asked was how did you think GOW3 ended and how would you have done it differently.

If you've not watched it, I highly recommend it.

Oooh, I haven't found that chest, but I'll look for it. I've already maxed out health, magic and Thera's Bane (and bought all the stuff in Zeus' temple, and found the secret item hidden there), but I like to find all the chests :D

I'll see if I can find the director's commentary video somewhere. It wasn't included with the standard edition of GoW III, was it?

Anyone got any tips for the crate task in Challenge of the Gods?

Can get to about the 3rd one in and times up :/

Also a really easy way to get loads of orbs to unlock stuff in the Temple, is go into the Arena, put on infinite magic/health and just have those Triton dudes for easy/quick kills spamming the Scourge of Erinys. Don't forget to activate 10x orbs too. Got 150k in a matter of mins.

It was part of the Ghost of Sparta content pack if you pre-ordered the UMD version or bought the PSN version in the first week.

Just bought
Robotos
:D

How comes you can't use the orbs you've collected in the main game to use in Zeus' Temple? I have 500k sitting doing nothing there and I have to grind in the Arena to buy all the stuff. It's a bit tedious TBH.

Got to say though the art you unlock is glorious. Just stunning. Shame it's only available on the small screen.

Combichristoffersen

Katana_Strikes said:
How comes you can't use the orbs you've collected in the main game to use in Zeus' Temple?

You can use your orbs from the main game in Zeus' Temple, but you have to finish the game before you can use them.

I'm playing the game again using artifact and costumes to get lots of orbs. some question about the story.

Why does Kratos mother be placed on Poseidon temple? seemed a bit random

from this game, shouldn't that mean Kratos already know Zeus is his father, why does he act surprised in GoW2 when Athena reveal Zeus as his father?

and this one is concerning the greek mythology since I don't know much about it. is the Death's domain different from realm of Hades? really, the alive or not alive thing is so confusing in GoW games. just wondering if it's intentionally vague and there's no explaining it, or there's some logical explanation to it?

Combichristoffersen

Callibretto said:
I'm playing the game again using artifact and costumes to get lots of orbs. some question about the story.

Why does Kratos mother be placed on Poseidon temple? seemed a bit random

from this game, shouldn't that mean Kratos already know Zeus is his father, why does he act surprised in GoW2 when Athena reveal Zeus as his father?

and this one is concerning the greek mythology since I don't know much about it. is the Death's domain different from realm of Hades? really, the alive or not alive thing is so confusing in GoW games. just wondering if it's intentionally vague and there's no explaining it, or there's some logical explanation to it?

I don't know why Kratos' mother was in Poseidon's temple, but as for Kratos' racting surprised in GoW 2, I saw it explained somewhere that Kratos refused to believe his mother when she told him Zeus was his father, and it wasn't until Athena confirmed it that he actually took it as truth. A bit convoluted, but oh well.

As for Thanatos' domain, I think he was an inhabitant in the Underworld, but I don't know if he dwelt in Hades or in some other part of the Underworld. Thanatos was the personification of Death, while Hades was the god of the Underworld, the ruler of the abode of the dead, the land that bore his name.

Jaradakar said:
What was the one part at the end that felt cheap?

The only part that I felt was a bit cheap was the fight against the armour clad cyclops and those female creatures that can dive under the ground. The frustration just comes from the size of the room, the size of the cyclops on the screen and the other creature's propensity for attacking from off the screen. Too often I would get grabbed and have to mash L&R only to immediately get grabbed by another creature or the cyclops. So the entire fight often resulted in just mashing those two buttons and dying over and over.

I think the problem is that the female creatures have three different attacks from three different ranges and all of their attacks can stun you. Added to the seeming absence of recovery frames and the inability to block grab moves) means that it is possible to get caught in a viscious circle of unavoidable abuse.

However, I must stress that such fights have been in all of the other GoW games (damn Scorpion) and usually in much higher numbers (Read: various Satyr fights). GoS only really had one offender in a game that is otherwise very balanced and very fun.

Just finished a speed run in 2.5 hrs.

Bought all the things and there was a nice suprise after.

Nice to finally know how/why Kratos got his scar and markings too.

This game is amazing, just got to
Ares Temple
and I really like the story so far! I like this personal story more that the tale of his revenge against the gods from GoW II and III,

BTW if anyone has a spare US code for the Deimos skin to trade for an european one PM me. I got the US version of GoWIII so my code won't work.

Mesijs

Def Jukie said:
You are probably missing two I'm guessing. There is one
for unlocking everything in the temple of zeus
and one
for completing the sex (orgy) scene three times.

Hmmm.
I unlocked everything in the temple of Zeus I think. The gravedigger's skin was the last thing, right? That's not a Godly Possession I think. Or do I have to finish the challenges...?

The second one, you're correst about that one! I already thought I was a pervert after finishing it twice. :lol

How do you guys find the challenges? I didn't beat the Box one yet but finished quite a few already.

Future

the_prime_mover said:
The only part that I felt was a bit cheap was the fight against the armour clad cyclops and those female creatures that can dive under the ground. The frustration just comes from the size of the room, the size of the cyclops on the screen and the other creature's propensity for attacking from off the screen. Too often I would get grabbed and have to mash L&R only to immediately get grabbed by another creature or the cyclops. So the entire fight often resulted in just mashing those two buttons and dying over and over.

I think the problem is that the female creatures have three different attacks from three different ranges and all of their attacks can stun you. Added to the seeming absence of recovery frames and the inability to block grab moves) means that it is possible to get caught in a viscious circle of unavoidable abuse.

However, I must stress that such fights have been in all of the other GoW games (damn Scorpion) and usually in much higher numbers (Read: various Satyr fights). GoS only really had one offender in a game that is otherwise very balanced and very fun.
I actually wasn't too fond of the fact that kratos gets thrown by almost everything all the time. Made more fights a bit more tedious than I would have liked. I didn't like those chick creatures at all

Have you guys watched the God of War Directors Live Panel ?

Good stuff and they hinted at the main actor of the upcoming movie, who was Jaffe referring to?

"an actor of a movie series that appeared in the original but none of the sequels but is now back in the new movie that just came out and flopped hard"

edit:
and i can only think of Cary Elwes of Saw - Saw 3D? Him as Kratos? What? :D

elwes.jpg

Noisepurge said:
Have you guys watched the God of War Directors Live Panel ?

Good stuff and they hinted at the main actor of the upcoming movie, who was Jaffe referring to?

"an actor of a movie series that appeared in the original but none of the sequels but is now back in the new movie that just came out and flopped hard"

Go to work, movie knowledge!

...after some thought, he's gotta be talking about Vin Deisel and Fast and the Furious, right?

vinkratoskopierawt7.jpg

Noisepurge said:
I think the panel is quite recent and Fast & Furious 4 came out a "long" time ago. Besides he had a cameo on the third film.

I guess you're right, but it just seems more likely that it's what Jaffe is talking about. My mind boggles trying to think of who else it could be. My first thought was actually Cary Elwes too, lol! It would be the worst casting ever though!

then again, i just re-watched the part and i think he says the actor is NOT acting in this new sequel. Just the original. It´s not very clear what he means :/

Then i think it´s Resident Evil 4, and that the actor might be James Purefoy:

solomon.jpg

He was excellent in the recent Solomon Kane.

Slurmer

Banned
Had a lot of fun with this--I played through it without a memory stick. Never got to play CoO...might have to go pick it up today.

GoncaloCCastro said:
This game is amazing, just got to
Ares Temple
and I really like the story so far! I like this personal story more that the tale of his revenge against the gods from GoW II and III,

BTW if anyone has a spare US code for the Deimos skin to trade for an european one PM me. I got the US version of GoWIII so my code won't work.

it was really hilarious in director's video when the host asked what the director's learn from Kratos in their games, and Jaffe start telling this 'deep' lesson about a man obsession with his work and career that led to losing his family, and when it's Cory's turn to answer, he's not sure how to answer it because his game GoW2 is so straight forward revenge story:lol

matmanx1

Man this game is fantastic. I just got to
Sparta
which of course is just after a pretty fantastic boss fight. Love the sights I'm seeing and the way the story is playing out so far. Oh and the snowy mountain pass graphics are gorgeous!

Regarding series fatigue; I am definitely not feeling it. If anything now that I've gotten several hours in this one I actually want to know more. Then again I love the gameplay in this series and the story is fairly compelling. So it's pretty easy for me to jump in to a new God of War title because I know it's going to be something I will enjoy.

I am curious about Ready at Dawn's future plans though. Obviously they have some really talented folks although it doesn't look like they've ever had an original IP. Are they as creative as they are talented and what new awesomeness can we expect from them now that Ghost of Sparta is out?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Finished the game today and loved a lot of it hated some parts. I'm not one of those people that hated this game being on a handle as Ready by Dawn are some master geniuses with PSP hardware. Part of me wish Deimos was there from the very beginning of the first god of war.

Itchy//Tasty said:
Go to work, movie knowledge!

...after some thought, he's gotta be talking about Vin Deisel and Fast and the Furious, right?

vinkratoskopierawt7.jpg

Yea Vin Disel would be great and to see him shirtless for the whole movie, I will pre-order my ticket.

Finished this earlier and really enjoyed it. I should play 2 and 3 at some point. For some reason I've only played the original and the 2 PSP entries.

neojubei

Baloonatic said:
Finished this earlier and really enjoyed it. I should play 2 and 3 at some point. For some reason I've only played the original and the 2 PSP entries.

yeah you should really play 2 and 3 in that order. 3 begins where 2 leaves off.

neojubei said:
Finished the game today and loved a lot of it hated some parts. I'm not one of those people that hated this game being on a handle as Ready by Dawn are some master geniuses with PSP hardware. Part of me wish Deimos was there from the very beginning of the first god of war.

Yea Vin Disel would be great and to see him shirtless for the whole movie, I will pre-order my ticket.

yeah that's the only jarring bits about it. RaD did their best with the material, but Deimos does feel tacked on because you never heard anything about him for 4 games.

oh and I kinda wish Deimos is introduced earlier on Ghost of Sparta. he's such a central character for this game's marketing and when you finally meet him, it ends so quickly.

I'd prefer it if
rather than a dream that make Kratos start his journey, it'd be cooler if it's Deimos attacking him under Thanatos order and it's all to lure and imprison Kratos in Death's Domain.

neojubei

Callibretto said:
yeah that's the only jarring bits about it. RaD did their best with the material, but Deimos does feel tacked on because you never heard anything about him for 4 games.

oh and I kinda wish Deimos is introduced earlier on Ghost of Sparta. he's such a central character for this game's marketing and when you finally meet him, it ends so quickly.

I'd prefer it if
rather than a dream that make Kratos start his journey, it'd be cooler if it's Deimos attacking him under Thanatos order and it's all to lure and imprison Kratos in Death's Domain.

Yeah that would have been a cooler storyline.

Oh maybe this guy could play Kratos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yus5UmTE7xM

I think Sony should do a CG movie in the same way they did the DC Online intro for a God of War movie.

Zen

Banned
So this game sort of sets up Jaffe's original idea for Kratos post the destruction of Olympus.

When Kratos asks 'what have I become?' after killing Thanatos, the gravedigger responds with 'Death, the destroyer of worlds'

And also heavily infersjust who was it that dragged Kratos away at the end of God of War III.

After the credit the Grave Digger clearly shows three graves, one for the mother of Kratos, one for Demos, and a third that lays empty. Along with the line "now only one remains"

If we do see more God of War games, will the 'Chaos' that Athena was co-opted into and such be the primary focus? Who knows I guess.

Zen said:
So this game sort of sets up Jaffe's original idea for Kratos post the destruction of Olympus.

When Kratos asks 'what have I become?' after killing Thanatos, the gravedigger responds with 'Death, the destroyer of worlds'

And also heavily infersjust who was it that dragged Kratos away at the end of God of War III.

After the credit the Grave Digger clearly shows three graves, one for the mother of Kratos, one for Demos, and a third that lays empty. Along with the line "now only one remains"

If we do see more God of War games, will the 'Chaos' that Athena was co-opted into and such be the primary focus? Who knows I guess.

I thought
Gravedigger is Zeus, and he's already dead

btw, I was wondering what they mean when they say
Thanatos exist before the Olympian or something like that.

Just beat the game now, pretty much played through the whole game on and off this afternoon and I've got to say that I liked Ghost of Sparta way more than God of War 3. For my money it's the better game. Ready At Dawn continue to impress me with what they can make the PSP do. Just as with Chains of Olympus it's so hard to believe that this is a handheld game.

Great game.

jaundicejuice said:
Just beat the game now, pretty much played through the whole game on and off this afternoon and I've got to say that I liked Ghost of Sparta way more than God of War 3. For my money it's the better game. Ready At Dawn continue to impress me with what they can make the PSP do. Just as with Chains of Olympus it's so hard to believe that this is a handheld game.

Great game.

I already post this in GoW3 thread somehow, but I like GoW3 more than GoS. GoS have no puzzles at all, new magic and weapon is not very fun to use, and it just doesn't feel as epic or grand as GoW3. although it makes up for it with great and new storytelling set pieces like Sparta, and the final boss battles are awesome.

it's a great game, but not on the level of GoW3 imo. it's way way better than CoO though.

oh, and it probably has the best sex mini game of the whole series, I'm not sure how they'll ever top this one if they make another GoW:lol

I absolutely detest the end-game in God of War 3, it was just so contrived, and the end boss was terrible. I disliked the ending of 3 so much that it made me question buying another entry in this series. The different developer and the game's location in the overall story arc were part of the reason I bit, the demo is what ultimately sold me.

Zen

Banned
Callibretto said:
I thought
Gravedigger is Zeus, and he's already dead

btw, I was wondering what they mean when they say
Thanatos exist before the Olympian or something like that.

I'd actually entirely forgotten about Zeus being the grave digger in God of War I. :lol

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the gravedigger is retconned as his own entity. Either that or Zeus has/had been playing a long con in some almost completely obscured game. With the way that the final conversation with Thanatos went, I think the series is trying to, loosely, establish that there's something much greater than just the Olympians. A pawn in a game that he doesn't even realize is being played and all that.

Making it clear that, according to God of War mythology, Thanatos existed before the Greek pantheon, also plays into this idea, I suppose.

Makes me wish that Jaffe had stayed on making God of War games, since you can tell that everything after GoWI was partly someone else's vision for how things would go.

Why would Zeus help Kratos at all, in any of the games, he'd have to be pretty stupid to not realize that Kratos (post the death of his family) was also a 'marked warrior'. :lol

Sipowicz

Banned
does anyone know how to do the secret move? I've just gotten it but every time I press L+X at the same time nothing happens

No45

Perhaps someone here can help me on this.

I usually play my PSP during lunchtime at work (I may occasionally play it in the evening, but not often as I have other things to be getting on with), however if there is literally ANY light around me when I play this game the environments might as well be invisible. I don't remember having this problem with Chains of Olympus, but it's really ruining the experience for me - was CoO this bad?

On another equally whiny note :)p), I don't ever recall having been so heavily funnelled in these games before. God of War has never been renowned for exploration, but some of the other games have at least attempted the illusion of freedom with the design of some of the larger areas - this seems to be [rock walled] corridor after corridor, many of of which are devoid of action.

No idea how deep I am into the game (
just got the 'Arms of Sparta' sword/shield combo
) so perhaps this will change, but at the moment I have to say I think this is my least favourite of the series (and I'm a huge fan).

Combichristoffersen

Zen said:
I'd actually entirely forgotten about Zeus being the grave digger in God of War I. :lol

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the gravedigger is retconned as his own entity. Either that or Zeus has/had been playing a long con in some almost completely obscured game. With the way that the final conversation with Thanatos went, I think the series is trying to, loosely, establish that there's something much greater than just the Olympians. A pawn in a game that he doesn't even realize is being played and all that.

Making it clear that, according to God of War mythology, Thanatos existed before the Greek pantheon, also plays into this idea, I suppose.

Makes me wish that Jaffe had stayed on making God of War games, since you can tell that everything after GoWI was partly someone else's vision for how things would go.

Why would Zeus help Kratos at all, in any of the games, he'd have to be pretty stupid to not realize that Kratos (post the death of his family) was also a 'marked warrior'. :lol

Zeus only really helped Kratos in GoW 1, because it would be beneficial for Zeus if Kratos defeated Ares. Besides, Zeus already knew where his 'marked warrior' was at the time (stuck in the Underworld), so I guess he didn't consider Kratos as more than a useful pawn in his game.

Sipowicz

Banned
No45 said:
) so perhaps this will change, but at the moment I have to say I think this is my least favourite of the series (and I'm a huge fan).

i agree with you completely. i'd also like to add that this game starts off pretty poorly compared to the pomp and bombast usually seen in gow games. the weapon variety sucks too (the arms of sparta are fucking useless except for throwing). i also found the voice actor and character really grating in this game. the callisto scene was a fucking abomination

Ridley327

No45 said:
Perhaps someone here can help me on this.

I usually play my PSP during lunchtime at work (I may occasionally play it in the evening, but not often as I have other things to be getting on with), however if there is literally ANY light around me when I play this game the environments might as well be invisible. I don't remember having this problem with Chains of Olympus, but it's really ruining the experience for me - was CoO this bad?

On another equally whiny note :)p), I don't ever recall having been so heavily funnelled in these games before. God of War has never been renowned for exploration, but some of the other games have at least attempted the illusion of freedom with the design of some of the larger areas - this seems to be [rock walled] corridor after corridor, many of of which are devoid of action.

CoO had very brightly detailed backgrounds for the most part. I can definitely see the substantially darker tones of GoS not working as well in poor lighting conditions.

Hitting Sparta is the the halfway point of the game, so you're a little past that now that you have the Arms of Sparta.

No45

Finished this just now. The second half is a massive improvement over the first for me - the levels become more diverse (if still too dark in most places, the platform really should have been taken into consideration) and more interesting in design, and the story comes to the fore a little more. Having said that, the
Domain of Death really might as well have been called the Castle of Death

I'm a huge fan of the Blades, but I found the extra melee weapons and magic even less useful in this than most of the games - once you've maxed the Blades and the
Bane of Thera
you really don't need to worry about anything else.

So. More positive than the last post I made, but I still maintain that it's my least favourite of the games so far.

Top Bottom