• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
IM NOT GUNNA READ SHIT CUZ IM AVOIDING SPOILERS BUT I JUST PLAYED THE FIRST STAGE AND DAMN

I JUST DID THAT.

OOHH SHIIIAAAT

The Chef

Neiteio said:
NeoGAF helps one man rediscover the joys of modern-day gaming. :)

Listening to this guys rants I think you would have better luck explaining the joys of Disney's Fantasia to Helen Keller.

Kittonwy said:
Naughty Dog was also doing more effects and physics, self-shadowing for objects in addition to just characters, SSAO for objects and not just characters, more shadow-casting lights, Santa Monica didn't let the player control the camera, no self-shadowed objects, no dynamic physics, objects and enemies would disappear, water and some surfaces that don't have reflection maps for the characters, there are corners that were cut just to get the game to run at ~40fps, and they did this with a significantly bigger budget, more time and more staff and only had to focus on the single player campaign, give Naughty Dog 44 mil and 3 years on a game and you might have an even better game than Uncharted 2.
christ, you're an insufferable fuck.

Bernbaum

Found mah Minotaur Horn!

Was in the
room where you have to be quick to save Pandora from drowning.
The fight following that was a joy- spawning swarms of subsequently tougher enemies that requires Kratos to perform special kills against Minotaurs and Banshee chick thingies to gain health/mana in order to survive. That was one of the few confrontations against non-boss enemies that was actually challenging and felt much more like the combat I had come to enjoy in previous GoW games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
surly said:
I tried, but I just couldn't get into it at all, and the screen tearing is the worst I've seen in a game this gen.
There are games with far worse screen tearing than what was in HR, and I find it very hard to believe you didn't play any of them. In HR it happens so seldom in comparison that I can't believe it would actually bother anyone.

Combichristoffersen said:
Happines is shit :mad:
Just buy and play Super Stardust HD. It's one game everyone can agree is the best game ever made. You can thank me later!

Bernbaum

Ballistictiger said:
That's actually the second hardest combat in the game.
Please be kidding. Even though I'm ~95% fully equipped, it feels like I've got a lot more ground to cover and I want more meaty fights like the one described. Hopefully you're referring to the final boss as the toughest.

Lord Error said:
There are games with far worse screen tearing than what was in HR, and I find it very hard to believe you didn't play any of them. In HR it happens so seldom in comparison that I can't believe it would actually bother anyone.

The tearing in Heavy Rain is undoubtedly bothersome. It doesn't break the game or anything, but it's pretty heinous when it happens, and it happens a good 20-30 times in the game.

beast786

DSC01512.jpg

:D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Bernbaum said:
Please be kidding. Even though I'm ~95% fully equipped, it feels like I've got a lot more ground to cover and I want more meaty fights like the one described. Hopefully you're referring to the final boss as the toughest.

You're honestly extremely close to the end, that's one of the last regular fights.

diddlyD

Banned
diddlyD said:
there is a fight, after you rescue
pandora, where it starts with sirens, then you get the shield assholes, then the underground blade assfucks, and minotaurs, and more sirens... it goes on and on
. im on titan, and i can't get through it. the sirens get a circle over their head, i go to slaughter them for magic restoration, where you'd usually break their backs, and instead 90% of the time i throw them against the wall and they start fighting again, only to die when i hit them giving red orbs instead of blue. why is this happening? is it a titan thing where they don't want to give you magic back? i can't beat this fucking fight, it goes on for ever with no health restoration mobs, and eventually the cheap shots kill me. those fucks that go underground literally stay there for minutes at a time.

this fight.... is my game bugged? i just went back to try it again a couple times. it doesnt fucking end. i hit my 4th wave of minotaurs, 4th wave of sirens, 4th wave of underground claw assholes, like the 6th wave of shielded warriors... i've been fighting for over 20 minutes, and i just died again. this is so ridiculously harder than anything else in the game so far on hard mode. no other fight has had half this many waves.

when does it end? or do i need to do something that i'm missing?

I think it's about 2-3 waves of Minotaurs. I'm leaning towards the 2 waves. When you spawn the second wave that is when you are almost done.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Neiteio said:
NeoGAF helps one man rediscover the joys of modern-day gaming. :)

:lol

RustyNails said:
There is still Gran Turismo, Trico and FF VS 13 left. Since you got 360, there's Alan Wake, Reach and few more. Lots of gaming left this gen mang.

And yeah, I cannot stress enough how amazing Demon's Souls is. Its a true next gen game. Look at the Demon's Souls GAF thread. Its still active months after its release. The difficulty in DS is there, but its there for a reason and you'll keep coming back like a crack addict.

I don't own a 360. I initially had to decide whether to get a 360 or a PS3, but GoW 3 tipped the scale in favour of PS3. Not interested in Reach anyway, but Alan Wake looks great (where's my PC version, Remedy? ;_; )

And I don't like Team Ico's games, so Trico is off my list. FF Vs 13 might be good though.

And GT5 will be a PS4 launch title. Maybe. That game is probably never coming out. Kaz finally went crazy and decided to make the ultimate racing game of all time, so he'll just keep adding stuff, polishing it and fixing bugs for eternity :|

PS: What enemies are the Olympian Sentries that I have to rip apart to get the damn trophy? And does anyone have the link to the video showing how to get the 1000 hit combo trophy in Tartarus?

Bernbaum

Papercuts said:
You're honestly extremely close to the end, that's one of the last regular fights.
Ah well, I guess that's why they have higher difficulty settings.

Still, I feel that regular enemy confrontations were a bit lacking. The boss fights, mini-bosses and Titan 'levels' were all superb, I just wish they made better use of vanilla enemies.

diddlyD said:
this fight.... is my game bugged? i just went back to try it again a couple times. it doesnt fucking end. i hit my 4th wave of minotaurs, 4th wave of sirens, 4th wave of underground claw assholes, like the 6th wave of shielded warriors... i've been fighting for over 20 minutes, and i just died again. this is so ridiculously harder than anything else in the game so far on hard mode. no other fight has had half this many waves.

when does it end? or do i need to do something that i'm missing?

Bear in mind I played on Normal. However:

- It takes TWO circle moves to do the backbreaker thing on the Sirens. First time, you just throw them. Second time, you break their backs. So focus on each Siren.
- Yes, this fight goes on forever. I enjoyed it a lot on Normal, but on Hard it's probably pure hell. I do remember that L1+O is really the key.

diddlyD

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
I think it's about 2-3 waves of Minotaurs. I'm leaning towards the 2 waves. When you spawn the second wave that is when you are almost done.

i just had my 3rd-4th wave again and died. 4th wave of minotaurs alone. i'm not making this up!

Another key is to use
Pandora as bait to lure most of the monster so you could 1vs1 a Siren or those Groundhog guys.

How is your use of magic? What I did to each Minotaur wave is to gorgon them before they crawl out and Cestus punch them to death.

Bernbaum said:
Ah well, I guess that's why they have higher difficulty settings.

Still, I feel that regular enemy confrontations were a bit lacking. The boss fights, mini-bosses and Titan 'levels' were all superb, I just wish they made better use of vanilla enemies.

Agreed. I think the first few games had a bit more meat to them in terms of enemy encounters. Which is a shame, as this combat system seems better than the other 2.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
diddlyD said:
i just had my 3rd-4th wave again and died. 4th wave of minotaurs alone. i'm not making this up!

That's gotta be the last one, then. I thought there was 3 but could definitely be wrong about it, after that you should get more sirens and wraiths, which is the last spawn.

diddlyD

Banned
asking you if you want to switch to easy mode after dying 5 times in a row has got to be the most clumsy fucking bit of game design ever. and on top of that it's like they're trolling you. "YOU MAD? YOU WANT EASY MODE?"

god damn nothing like these lovely vertical walls of difficulty to induce rage

The Chef

HOLY SHIT!
I mean really HOLY KRISPY KREME SHIT!

I just beat the game. I am still reeling from the end so I might say some crazy stuff but the moment you
begin your fight with Zeus on the pillars just smashing shit all over the place using all your learned skills to bring the temple down around him to the piercing of both him and Gaia to the saving of your soul in one of the coolest visual styles to hit the series and then on to the first person final kill my good god that was probably one of the single greatest moments of gaming I have ever experienced and to top it all off unlike those pussys at Kojima Kratos killed himself!

I can't imagine anything coming close to the thrills I experienced playing this game. How can any game in the future ever hope to have a narrative that competes with this.

EPIC Defined.

diddlyD said:
asking you if you want to switch to easy mode after dying 5 times in a row has got to be the most clumsy fucking bit of game design ever. and on top of that it's like they're trolling you. "YOU MAD? YOU WANT EASY MODE?"

My favorite is when it asks me that after I mess up some platforming bit 5 times in a row. Like when I died 10 times in a row walking along the ceiling/bladey beams in God of War 1.

It even *tells* you how it's going to affect combat only. :lol

diddlyD

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
Take a little break to clear your mood. Playing when angry is just going to make a person slip up more.

i'm pretty much in full on rage mode after about 5 minutes of this game.

RedRedSuit said:
My favorite is when it asks me that after I mess up some platforming bit 5 times in a row. Like when I died 10 times in a row walking along the ceiling/bladey beams in God of War 1.

It even *tells* you how it's going to affect combat only. :lol

haha yeah it just happened to me.

i finally beat this bastard fight, and am presented with an amazing FALLING sequence. it's ground breaking game design i tell ya! you fall and try to avoid the beams in 3d, complete with nintendo 64 depth fog effects! and when you hit, your screen is filled with blood particles so you can't see the next obstacle, in case you wanted to avoid that one! i especially love the half assed implementation, when you die, you just kind of float there in mid air as the screen fades to black. did an intern do this on his christmas break? or did they outsource gameplay programming to india? stay tuned!

ok i'm done for the night, i'll beat it tomorrow i guess.

itxaka

Defeatist
does someone feels like the escape move goes with a bit of lag? Maybe it's because I been playing dante's inferno lately and the escape motion is instant but I get hit a lot because it doesn't respond quickly enough.

Still the game is fucking epic, I'm at the Olympus (demo part) and feels like a goty contender already. GoW is awesomeeeeee.

And holy shit at the first person camera. Felt fucking brutal.

itxaka said:
does someone feels like the escape move goes with a bit of lag? Maybe it's because I been playing dante's inferno lately and the escape motion is instant but I get hit a lot because it doesn't respond quickly enough.

Still the game is fucking epic, I'm at the Olympus (demo part) and feels like a goty contender already. GoW is awesomeeeeee.

If you are talking about the delay it is intended.

Just platinumed it. I fucking rage-quitted yesterday on the
Molten Cerberus/Satyrs
fight. Then I killed the final boss in one try. Damn I had more problems with that one encounter than the final boss, it was horrible :lol Mad respect to that guy who did a no upgrade run and finished that fight on Chaos (it's on Youtube somewhere).

Now getting into the GOW-Collection.....

itxaka said:

The controls are clunky compared to Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta, but it's still a decent combat system. You just have to get used to not being able to switch between offense and defense rapidly.

I don't get the clunky controls talk. The battle system is intended to be slow unlike those 2 game you mention. It's not you a person going super fast fighting against slow ass monsters, the monsters in GOW is similar in speed to Kratos.

Ballistictiger said:
I don't get the clunky controls talk. The battle system is intended to be slow unlike those 2 game you mention. It's not you a person going super fast fighting against slow ass monsters, the monsters in GOW is similar in speed to Kratos.

The enemies being balanced around your controls being clunky does not make the controls magically less clunky. Also the auto-target can be annoying sometimes.

edited with explanation below (from a review in progress)

The combat still lacks the fluidity and responsiveness of other action/fighter titles like Ninja Gaiden II or Bayonetta. The controls are too stiff for fluid switching between offense and defense. It feels like comparing the stiff no-strafing controls of an old Resident Evil title to a modern shooter. One reason for this is the fact that dodge is tied to the right analog stick. There no way around the clunkiness of this control - either you take your left thumb off the left stick, or your right thumb off the front buttons. There are some attacks that are impossible to dodge cancel out of (any of the L1+button moves). Both dodging and blocking have a startup delay so you need to anticipate when to go on the defensive ahead of time. It's amusing how they give you a shortcut for weapon switching instead of using the D-pad, but don't give you a dodge shortcut that would dodge in the direction Kratos is currently facing. The game still feels playable and fair because enemies are balanced around the control systems limitations, but it's often a matter of trial and error finding which enemy attacks are blockable/dodgeable or not.

Had a bit trouble on Titan Mode doing the 2D style
Zeus fight
and then the very last part of the fight. Took a fair few attempts but the Cerberus/Satrys part was by far the hardest for me in the game.

I most certainly won't be attempting Chaos mode. I'd rather kill myself slowly than be put through that after those certain bits in Titan mode. I couldn't even imagine how tough that would be.

Bernbaum

Aaaaaaaaaand complete :D .

Well done Santa Monica, a hell of a ride. Finished with 57% of trophies, all weapons and health/magic/item bars maxed out but missed out on all Godly possessions.

Wow is the end boss easy.

I missed the max out all weapons on my first play through because I pretty much went straight through
Daedalus' research room without exploring the portals
for some weird reason. :(

I really liked finding the Godly Possessions and finding the hidden chests, it was a nice addition to the series.

It's a great shame though there was no comedy costume for Kratos in this game, after all other ones in the series had this.

Anyone else think it was silly having the Arena mode unlocked only after you've met the requirements of both finishing the game and the challenges? Felt a bit pointless after that to me.

Hadn't realised there were some famous actors doing the voice work for this game. I really liked
Hercules, Hephaestus and Daedalus'
voice work. It's funny watching the T.C. Carson's expressions during the making of video. :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Was it in this game's making of vids that some music guy talked about Jaffe wanting arena rock a la Styx as the soundtrack to GoW? Man that would be so awesome. Imagine swimming through Styx as Kratos with Come Sail Away blasting through the speakers. The trilogy with this kind of alternate soundtrack... would be badass.

Top Bottom