• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

My personal favorite moment was

the start of the Hades fight and the fight itself.

The detail on him was unbelievable. I think it was going at 60fps at the time, so it was like playing a CG movie, only better. As a result, he was genuinely a scary mofo. The whole atmosphere was really gothic, if that's the right word.

His little monologue before the fight was fantastic... and then he just APPEARS right there next to you. Awesome.

kikanny

RedRedSuit said:
My personal favorite moment was

the start of the Hades fight and the fight itself.

The detail on him was unbelievable. I think it was going at 60fps at the time, so it was like playing a CG movie, only better. As a result, he was genuinely a scary mofo. The whole atmosphere was really gothic, if that's the right word.

His little monologue before the fight was fantastic... and then he just APPEARS right there next to you. Awesome.
I loved that part too. My favorite boss fight of the game.

obaidr

Banned
The Chef said:
Oh man I totally forgot how well done that part was! I love how they misled us from the demo. This game is so incredible so damn epic that there are just to many excellent parts to remember all at once.

Te should have used the Sixaxis for that scene. Would make it even more satisfying.

Cesar

Banned
Just a great screenshot:

28valh.jpg

Slurmer

Banned
jett said:
So what are some of your favorite moments in the game?

1.) The fight against
Hercules
, especially after he first jumps down and the music kicks in. Best track and boss fight in the game imo.
2.) Also,
near the end when Kratos is trying to stop Pandora from sacrificing herself and Zeus yells out something like "don't fail her like you failed your family!" Kratos gets pissed, lets go of Pandora, tackles Zeus and punches him in the face--even with all that is at stake.

Nizz

Just got the game yesterday and epic describes the game best! Damn. Truth be told, this is the first God of War game where I'm playing through on normal difficulty. Maybe because I don't play action games much, but the God of War games I've always played on easy.

Plus I don't buy that many games recently due to low funds and I want this game to last me a while. :D Just defeated
Helios
and that had a nice, unexpected twist. Do I have a lot to go? I hope so, so far I'm loving the game.

Combat feels just as good as ever, if not even more great. I saw someone mention earlier in the thread that Arthur from Rebel FM said he enjoyed the combat in Dante's Inferno more. Don't know if he said for sure since I no longer listen to that podcast, but if he did that's pure facepalm worthy right there.

I have to give it to you guys who are doing platinum runs on this. Normal difficulty is giving me enough of a workout. Forget Chaos mode! :lol

Rikyfree

Amir0x said:
THAT'S IT (Doctor's Theme)! Haha

It sounds similar to the God of War III track I hear every so often in this game. Not exactly the same, obviously, but it just reminds me of it.
Need a Doctor Who game like now!

Edit: Listening to "Doomsday" always makes me a little misty eyed. =*( <3 Rose.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
'This is Madness' from the Blood & Metal EP was surprisingly awesome. Cheesy heavy metal based on 300, with lyrics referencing the 'tonight we dine in Hell' and 'Madness? This is Sparta!' quotes = win.

WHY THE FUCK DOES KRATOS TRY AND GRAB THINGS HE CAN'T IN THE FUCKING BARE HANDS CHALLENGE. SO ANNOYING

Seriously, Dante's Inferno was better than this swill.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just got my Platinum

My 32nd overall, nice platinum name to with it
"King of the Hill"

I watched all the videos, my god those guys went through a lot to get this game, I truly have a better understanding of the Epicness, it was the game itself, but people who thought of the Epicness are deserved their dues also

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Good God I wish there was a "turn off costume bonuses" option. I want to rock my Chaos run with costumes! I've stared at standard Kratos long enough.

Oh, and I want to be able to change them at will from the title screen menu before I load my saved game.

Patch version 1.02 plz.

Edit:
Square Triangle said:
Has anyone been able to download their soundtrack? I gotta call up Sony tomorrow.

I was able to download it. Despite being in the same format, the soundtrack codes aren't for PSN -- you redeem them on PC.

GraveRobberX said:
Just got my Platinum

My 32nd overall, nice platinum name to with it
"King of the Hill"

I watched all the videos, my god those guys went through a lot to get this game, I truly have a better understanding of the Epicness, it was the game itself, but people who thought of the Epicness are deserved their dues also

32 platinums?!?! OMG!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Captain_Spanky said:
WHY THE FUCK DOES KRATOS TRY AND GRAB THINGS HE CAN'T IN THE FUCKING BARE HANDS CHALLENGE. SO ANNOYING

:lol

Yeah, luck plays a big role in that one due to stupidity.

Papercuts

I'm pretty surprised you're able to plat all 3 GoW games without even touching the hardest difficulty mode of either game.

Banned
mjemirzian said:
The enemies being balanced around your controls being clunky does not make the controls magically less clunky. Also the auto-target can be annoying sometimes.

edited with explanation below (from a review in progress)

The combat still lacks the fluidity and responsiveness of other action/fighter titles like Ninja Gaiden II or Bayonetta. The controls are too stiff for fluid switching between offense and defense. It feels like comparing the stiff no-strafing controls of an old Resident Evil title to a modern shooter. One reason for this is the fact that dodge is tied to the right analog stick. There no way around the clunkiness of this control - either you take your left thumb off the left stick, or your right thumb off the front buttons. There are some attacks that are impossible to dodge cancel out of (any of the L1+button moves). Both dodging and blocking have a startup delay so you need to anticipate when to go on the defensive ahead of time. It's amusing how they give you a shortcut for weapon switching instead of using the D-pad, but don't give you a dodge shortcut that would dodge in the direction Kratos is currently facing. The game still feels playable and fair because enemies are balanced around the control systems limitations, but it's often a matter of trial and error finding which enemy attacks are blockable/dodgeable or not.

thanks, you've articulated nearly all the issues I have with GoW3's combat system.

Hoever, I also wish dodge was more like the one in GoW: CoO. The dodging in that feels very natural. At least have the option of R1+L1 +left stick.

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Fuck that 1000 hit combo trophy. I'm sick of restarting that shit over and over getting to 300 and watching my chains grab NOTHING and resetting the counter. FUCK YOU!!!

Any other way besides hades' weapon?

I did in hera's garden with the hades blade. First time I even thought about trying it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My favorite moment is the
Hercules
fight. The music in this section is incredible, and Hera is awesome. BORING!

Papercuts

00011000 said:
easiest of the trilogy by far.

Yeah, the "hard" ones are only so by annoying crap, like Bare Hands coupled with Kratos grabbing the huge enemies for no reason.

I sure would like to try the Exile challenges, too bad my $60 apparently wasn't worth enough to get me access to the full game.

Y2Kev said:
My favorite moment is the
Hercules
fight. The music in this section is incredible, and Hera is awesome. BORING!

Yeah,
Hercules and Hades
pretty much overshadowed everything else in the game for me, great sections.

Banned
Captain_Spanky said:

One of the most annoying things of the whole game. It's amazing how the challenges in all parts of the trilogy really highlights so many glitches and limitations of the combat system.

Future

mjemirzian said:
The enemies being balanced around your controls being clunky does not make the controls magically less clunky. Also the auto-target can be annoying sometimes.

edited with explanation below (from a review in progress)

The combat still lacks the fluidity and responsiveness of other action/fighter titles like Ninja Gaiden II or Bayonetta. The controls are too stiff for fluid switching between offense and defense. It feels like comparing the stiff no-strafing controls of an old Resident Evil title to a modern shooter. One reason for this is the fact that dodge is tied to the right analog stick. There no way around the clunkiness of this control - either you take your left thumb off the left stick, or your right thumb off the front buttons. There are some attacks that are impossible to dodge cancel out of (any of the L1+button moves). Both dodging and blocking have a startup delay so you need to anticipate when to go on the defensive ahead of time. It's amusing how they give you a shortcut for weapon switching instead of using the D-pad, but don't give you a dodge shortcut that would dodge in the direction Kratos is currently facing. The game still feels playable and fair because enemies are balanced around the control systems limitations, but it's often a matter of trial and error finding which enemy attacks are blockable/dodgeable or not.
Agree with some of that, but playing a bit now and don't see the startup delay on block and roll. I do notice that certain evades on certain weapons don't seem as safe, oddly

I'm curious if they will change right stick evade ever. Many games copy the Gow control scheme so that must mean a large group of people like it. I have always preferred ninja gaidens implementation. Best dodge in the business

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
LovingSteam said:
32 platinums?!?! OMG!

Heh if you think my 32 platinums are alot, look at the #1 guy on the list, 136 and counting

http://ps3trophycard.com/

I just tried that new game glitch lol, I got infinite health lol, it was on chaos difficulty, I was the God of War on "GOD" mode hehe

Papercuts

00011000 said:
One of the most annoying things of the whole game. It's amazing how the challenges in all parts of the trilogy really highlights so many glitches and limitations of the combat system.

I like how you can still see Kratos do the animation of putting away his blades in the bare hands challenge sometimes, lol.

Banned
Dexvex said:
and to think with less polys than Drake.

Less polys overall or just the character models? I'm doing a trophy run in Uncharted 2 and the character models aren't really that great- No muscles! :lol

Triple U

Banned
00011000 said:
Less polys overall or just the character models? I'm doing a trophy run in Uncharted 2 and the character models aren't really that great- No muscles! :lol

im talkin drake's model vs kratos' model

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Forge
:O

This game desperately needs a screenshot export function.

Environmentally speaking this game definitely bridges the gap between concept art and game to a pretty remarkable degree. The environments in
Hades
are stunning. However, they're rendered they look 'painted', yet, they're actually the environment. It's a very pleasurable conflict in my brain :D

Future said:
Agree with some of that, but playing a bit now and don't see the startup delay on block and roll. I do notice that certain evades on certain weapons don't seem as safe, oddly

I'm curious if they will change right stick evade ever. Many games copy the Gow control scheme so that must mean a large group of people like it. I have always preferred ninja gaidens implementation. Best dodge in the business

I've never been a fan of right stick evading, because it takes my thumb off the face buttons.

CoO (the PSP game) didn't have the second analogue stick so they did something similar to NG, in that you held down the shoulder buttons and used the left stick to dodge. I greatly prefered that method, I wish they'd put it in III as an option. As an aside I can understand with the number of L1+button moves, why they couldn't just straight up copy NG's system.

As for the dumb auto-targeting, I remember Onimusha3 had some AI or something of the sort on the targeting when you used your ranged weapon. It would prioritise the enemies that a player would be most likely to be using their bow against, ie. ranged enemies, aerial enemies. I wish GoW did something like that, so that if I'm surrounded by say 3 dogs and an full health minotaur it won't think that when I go to grab, I want to grab the minotaur.

Papercuts

Die Squirrel Die said:
I've never been a fan of right stick evading, because it takes my thumb off the face buttons.

CoO (the PSP game) didn't have the second analogue stick so they did something similar to NG, in that you held down the shoulder buttons and used the left stick to dodge. I greatly prefered that method, I wish they'd put it in III as an option. As an aside I can understand with the number of L1+button moves, why they couldn't just straight up copy NG's system.

As for the dumb auto-targeting, I remember Onimusha3 had some AI or something of the sort on the targeting when you used your ranged weapon. It would prioritise the enemies that a player would be most likely to be using their bow against, ie. ranged enemies, aerial enemies. I wish GoW did something like that, so that if I'm surrounded by say 3 dogs and an full health minotaur it won't think that when I go to grab, I want to grab the minotaur.

L1 + Left stick being dodge would be perfect, you can't move when you hold L1 anyway.

gofreak said:
The Forge
:O

This game desperately needs a screenshot export function.

Environmentally speaking this game definitely bridges the gap between concept art and game to a pretty remarkable degree. The environments in
Hades
are stunning. However, they're rendered they look 'painted', yet, they're actually the environment. It's a very pleasurable conflict in my brain :D

The use of Depth of Field and motion blur is phenominal. It feels like devs have been talking about those for years, but GoWIII is the first game where it actually comes together.

The Chef

Y2Kev said:
The
Hercules
fight on Titan is simply incredible.

It truly is a excellent fight and especially on Titan since it just keeps changing up. Its one of the most visceral fights in the game.

There are so many Jaw-Dropping scenes in the game but I especially love:

1.)
First fight with Zeus on the pillars. Simply the most beautiful combination of incredible tech and artistry.

2.)
After your first fight with Zeus and you walk outside the temple to the shot of the world in complete ruin with some of the best clouds swirling around amidst a flurry of tornados and lightning.

3.)
Being at the top of the box with Pandora in the caverns and leaping off to follow the chain down to Hades. The music and effects combine to give you such a rush the whole time.

4.)
After you pierce Zeus with the Sword of Olympus and the next scene starts with Kratos facing you really close to the screen. The shot is just breathtaking with his body smeared in blood and being able to actually see the veins in his muscles bulge out.

nskinnear said:
I was hoping that activating the Godly Posessions would show Kratos wearing all the badass armor and stuff he collected.
Hades Helm + Helios' Shield + Hercules' Shoulder Guard
would've looked awesome.
And
Aphrodite's garter
?
:D

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
The use of Depth of Field and motion blur is phenominal. It feels like devs have been talking about those for years, but GoWIII is the first game where it actually comes together.

Yeah, the DoF effect in GoW3 is better quality than in Uncharted 2 at least, where I felt it to be quite imprecise.

Banned
I'm starting a chaos run and having to watch the opening cinematics again is really pissing me off. I think the cutscenes will frustrate me more than the difficulty of the actual game.

Banned
I've just started a new game, and in the "Items" menu, it shows that I have the 10 godly possessions, but there are three question marks. One is minotaru horns, what are the other two?

Top Bottom