• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

ZeroRay

Rindain said:
What is the best way of damaging him? I've been grappling his face then using the spinning whirlwind attack in midair, but he often attacks me as I'm doing that.

If you have the bow at level 2 just keep your distance and pepper him with shots any chance you get. I don't hit him with anything else unless I'm sure I have a good window of opportunity.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kittonwy said:
no self-shadowed objects, no dynamic physics
This is not really true. Their system for dynamic object traversal is based on soft body deformation collision detection. It's a very impressive feat seen only in SotC as far as I know, and probably not even in UC2, which may have had rigid body deformation collision detection.

Combichristoffersen said:
Naughty Dog hasn't made a good game in nearly 10 years, what makes you think they'll suddenly do it just by receiving $44 million?
That's right, fight back with trolling. That always works.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The best way of hitting him is, IMO, square square triangle at his feet (keeps you ready to roll). I don't like the L1 moves for bosses like that. They're not immediately cancellable.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Lord Error said:
That's right, fight back with trolling. That always works.

Not really trolling though. I thought Jak & Daxter 3 was pretty damn mediocre, never bothered with the second one due to my dislike for 3 and the massively negative backlash J&D 2 received, downloaded the demos for both Uncharted 1 and 2, played them and promptly deleted them due to hating absolutely everything about the gameplay. So yeah, the first J&D was the last good game from Naughty Dog as far as I'm concerned. They're great at pushing Sony's consoles in terms of graphics, but they're fucking shit at making games with good gameplay.

jett

D-Member
Ballistictiger said:
L1+ Square isn't that practical because it leaves you open for a direct attack.

You're pretty safe when
a piece of meat is bobbling on the floor
. I dunno it worked great for me on Titan.

LowParry

Not really trolling though. I thought Jak & Daxter 3 was pretty damn mediocre, never bothered with the second one due to my dislike for 3 and the massively negative backlash J&D 2 received, downloaded the demos for both Uncharted 1 and 2, played them and promptly deleted them due to hating absolutely everything about the gameplay. So yeah, the first J&D was the last good game from Naughty Dog as far as I'm concerned. They're great at pushing Sony's consoles in terms of graphics, but they're fucking shit at making games with good gameplay.

So...what's a good game with good gameplay?

G-Fex

Good game.

Last fight didn't seem as Epic as I hoped. Last half wasn't my favorite.

I'm mixed about the whole thing.

Combichristoffersen

CcrooK said:
So...what's a good game with good gameplay?

Original Jak & Daxter, God of War games, PoP 08 (except the combat, that was shit), the old ND-developed Crash Bandicoot games, Super MArio Bros. 3, Sonic 1 and 2... that kind of thing. Naughty Dog were great when they made the Crash Bandicoot games and the first J&D game, but went straight down the shitter after that.

LowParry

Original Jak & Daxter, God of War games, PoP 08 (except the combat, that was shit), the old ND-developed Crash Bandicoot games... that kind of thing. Naughty Dog were great when they made the Crash Bandicoot games and the first J&D game, but went straight down the shitter after that.

I can agree with those. What about games of the past year though?

Combichristoffersen

CcrooK said:
I can agree with those. What about games of the past year though?

Not much of interest to me, I'm afraid. The current gen as a whole has been nothing but a disappointing clusterfuck for me in terms of games. Like, we got two new Silent Hill games, and exactly none of them were very good. Final Fantasy XIII came out after being in development for an eternity and a half, and promptly got shot down for apparently not being all that great, GTA IV received an extreme backlash for supposedly being boring (I still haven't bothered trying it out). GT5 still isn't out. Most games released seem to involve shooting in one way or another. And there's still no Motor Toon Grand Prix sequel :(

LowParry

Not much of interest to me, I'm afraid. The current gen as a whole has been nothing but a disappointing clusterfuck for me in terms of games.

Ah. I have a couple of friends who are like that. They live and breath in PS1 and PS2 games still and never really care to come into current gen stuff. There's some pretty good games out there now. Guess it's just a matter of how well someone sort of adapts to things from the then and now. Kinda like the way fighting games work. As for the U2 hate, I can get why people would hate it but it really is a great game in terms of the production area. Gameplay I get cause not a lot of people dig the pop and shoot game mechanics.

Rindain said:
I'm still getting slaughtered. Maybe it's because this is my first GOW game and the combat hasn't really sunk in yet.

Use the dodge roll. It's the single most useful move in the game.

And the combo of square, square, triangle is still very powerful. It's great for dealing with multiple enemies, and it can actually cancel larger enemy attacks. Like the cyclops entire moveset.

When you receive the gauntlets later in the game, use them. They make several enemy encounters late in the game much easier.

Combichristoffersen

CcrooK said:
As for the U2 hate, I can get why people would hate it but it really is a great game in terms of the production area. Gameplay I get cause not a lot of people dig the pop and shoot game mechanics.

Yeah, the production values behind the UC games are extremely high, and I definitely respect ND for what they've managed to push out of the PS3. But the whole 'cover behind a wall before you pop up and shoot' thing doesn't sit well with me at all. I just can't get into it. I guess it might be that I'm so accustomed to how FPS/shooter games were 10-13 years ago, where a cover mechanic was unheard of, and modern shooter games tend to go in the opposite direction, relying heavily on the player hiding behind a wall or something.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Yeah, the production values behind the UC games are extremely high, and I definitely respect ND for what they've managed to push out of the PS3. But the whole 'cover behind a wall before you pop up and shoot' thing doesn't sit well with me at all. I just can't get into it. I guess it might be that I'm so accustomed to how FPS/shooter games were 10-13 years ago, where a cover mechanic was unheard of, and modern shooter games tend to go in the opposite direction, relying heavily on the player hiding behind a wall or something.

You should play the games before passing on them. Even if what I gust said doesn't make any sense.

Y2Kev

Not much of interest to me, I'm afraid. The current gen as a whole has been nothing but a disappointing clusterfuck for me in terms of games. Like, we got two new Silent Hill games, and exactly none of them were very good. Final Fantasy XIII came out after being in development for an eternity and a half, and promptly got shot down for apparently not being all that great, GTA IV received an extreme backlash for supposedly being boring (I still haven't bothered trying it out). GT5 still isn't out. Most games released seem to involve shooting in one way or another. And there's still no Motor Toon Grand Prix sequel :(
The way you describe these games sounds like you don't...have an opinion yourself. "Got shot down for not being all that great"? What do you think?

Combichristoffersen

TTP said:
You should play the games before passing on them. Even if what I gust said doesn't make any sense.

Y2Kev said:
The way you describe these games sounds like you don't...have an opinion yourself. "Got show down for not being all that great"? What do you think?

I think I won't really bother with GTA IV. Going by online impressions, it really does seem to be even more dull than SA was. So I'll stick to Vice City and pretend that they stopped making GTA games after that :p

As for FF XIII, it's been compared to FF X, and I didn't like X much at all, so I might just end up skipping it altogether, and keep dreaming of another FF game in the same vein as FF XII.

And the SH games were blah. Homecoming was more of a shooter/action game than a horror game, and had a bland story. Shattered Memories had arguably the best storytelling since SH2, but everything else was awful.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
As mentioned, I tried the demos of both UC 1 and 2, and the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me at all. Also, I YouTube'd UC1's final boss, as I was hoping for some awesome supernatural monster boss thing due to the Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones influence. What I got was some dull-looking guy with a machine gun (or something). Booo. Hype instantly deflating.

So just say ND hasn't done a game that appeals to you in 10 year rather than saying they didn't make a good game period. Cos both U1 and U2 ARE good games. The latter having earned more awards than Jesus.

And there is supernatural in U1.

Y2Kev

I think I won't really bother with GTA IV. Going by online impressions, it really does seem to be even more dull than SA was. So I'll stick to Vice City and pretend that they stopped making GTA games after that :p

As for FF XIII, it's been compared to FF X, and I didn't like X much at all, so I might just end up skipping it altogether, and keep dreaming of another FF game in the same vein as FF XII.

And the SH games were blah. Homecoming was more of a shooter/action game than a horror game, and had a bland story. Shattered Memories had arguably the best storytelling since SH2, but everything else was awful.
Oh. You don't have an opinion yourself because you haven't played them. Okay.

surly

Banned
Rindain said:
I'm playing through on Normal, and I've been killed by
Hades
about 20 times so far. I can barely get to the part where you
rip out the second piece of flesh

Any advice as to how to avoid his attacks?

I haven't increased my life meter yet...maybe that's part of the reason. Other than that, it's just too hard to damage him without him damaging you back.
All I did to beat that guy is repeatedly jump in his face spamming the heavy attack button. When
you rip out his flesh, the arms that pop up from the ground can be destroyed to regain health, so if you're low on health you can concentrate on killing those instead of trying to destroy the piece of flesh. If he grabs the flesh back, it doesn't take too many more hits before you get the chance to rip it out again. I also saved the attack where you can press in both sticks to use that sword until the last stage of the fight.
I'm playing it on normal too and this is my first GOW game apart from half an hour playing GOW1. I did die 3 or 4 times, but once I realise that
you can regain health by destroying those arms
I beat him.

The game is superb IMO. My favourite of this year so far.

Combichristoffersen

TTP said:
So just say ND hasn't done a game that appeals to you in 10 year rather than saying they didn't make a good game period. Cos both U1 and U2 ARE good games. The latter having earned more awards than Jesus.

Eh, I guess you're right. ND hasn't made anything that appeals to me since the first J&D. This gen in general has provided little of interest to me. There's MGS4, the God of War Collection and God of War 3. And a couple of games for Wii and 360. In total there'd probably be around 10 games this gen I'd be interested in. What a mess.

Y2Kev said:
Oh. You don't have an opinion yourself because you haven't played them. Okay.

Because none of my friends play games anymore, and I'm not gonna fork out $50-$60 on a game I might like, just to try it out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I guess you're right. ND hasn't made anything that appeals to me since the first J&D. This gen in general has provided little of interest to me. There's MGS4, the God of War Collection and God of War 3. And a couple of games for Wii and 360. In total there'd probably be around 10 games this gen I'd be interested in. What a mess.
you should try more new things; you'll be happier

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

You have earned my sympathy.

Combichristoffersen

Rez said:
you should try more new things; you'll be happier

Happines is shit :mad:

Seriously though, there's just.. nothing I fancy this gen. Silent Hill is dead. Final Fantasy is dying. We're done with God of War for the foreseeable future. Kingdom Hearts killed itself with Kingdom Hearts 2. I don't like modern FPS games (besides those in the vein of late 90s FPS games like Blood, Duke 3D and such, but those are Painkiller and Serious Sam, and I already played those). This is the gen of online gaming and modern shooters, and I don't really like any of those two.

I think I'll start up uTorrent just to play the hidden tetris game.

DrPirate

Banned

Because none of my friends play games anymore, and I'm not gonna fork out $50-$60 on a game I might like, just to try it out.

Bope, this is the best gen of video games I've ever experienced.

Until I played Heavy Rain and everything sucked after playing that... It's the one game other than MGS4 I wish I can blank my memory and replay it.

Seriously though, there's just.. nothing I fancy this gen. Silent Hill is dead. Final Fantasy is dying. We're done with God of War for the foreseeable future. Kingdom Hearts killed itself with Kingdom Hearts 2. I don't like modern FPS games (besides those in the vein of late 90s FPS games like Blood, Duke 3D and such, but those are Painkiller and Serious Sam, and I already played those). This is the gen of online gaming and modern shooters, and I don't really like any of those two.

Try Critter Crunch. It's a gen-saver.

surly

Banned
DrPirate said:
Until I played Heavy Rain and everything sucked after playing that... It's the one game other than MGS4 I wish I can blank my memory and replay it.
I wish I could blank my memory of that game too, but only so I could get back the 40 quid I wasted on it. I tried, but I just couldn't get into it at all, and the screen tearing is the worst I've seen in a game this gen.

DrPirate

Banned
surly said:
I wish I could blank my memory of that game too, but only so I could get back the 40 quid I wasted on it. I tried, but I just couldn't get into it at all, and the screen tearing is the worst I've seen in a game this gen.

Yeah, the game is totally a "love it or hate it affair"

I think whether or not you completely bought the character and story it tried to sell you and you let yourself get involved and care about the plot really has everything to do with how much you get out of it.

But either way, gameplay wise and such, it's not for everyone.

Combichristoffersen

surly said:

:lol

I actually enjoyed the Heavy Rain demo. I probably won't ever actually buy the game, but it was an interesting experience (despite the convoluted and clunky controls).

templeusox said:
Try Critter Crunch. It's a gen-saver.

Checked the website. That actually looks pretty fun. I might get it. Hm..

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

There is actually a lot of diversity if you look around. Demon's Souls perhaps? Or some PixelJunk. Anyway, there is stuff out there besides shooters. And quite good too.

diddlyD

Banned
there is a fight, after you rescue
pandora, where it starts with sirens, then you get the shield assholes, then the underground blade assfucks, and minotaurs, and more sirens... it goes on and on
. im on titan, and i can't get through it. the sirens get a circle over their head, i go to slaughter them for magic restoration, where you'd usually break their backs, and instead 90% of the time i throw them against the wall and they start fighting again, only to die when i hit them giving red orbs instead of blue. why is this happening? is it a titan thing where they don't want to give you magic back? i can't beat this fucking fight, it goes on for ever with no health restoration mobs, and eventually the cheap shots kill me. those fucks that go underground literally stay there for minutes at a time.

i've run into about 3 more showstopping bugs too since last i complained. i feel like i'm beta testing this p.o.s. game.
fighting the scorpion, one of his legs decided to stop taking damage while orange. had to reload. while fighting harpies and medusas another harpy bugged out under the ground or something, i couldnt kill it, and the camera wouldn't move to the next sequence, so i was stuck, forcing another reload
there was another but i can't recall in my rage what it was.

Combichristoffersen

TTP said:
There is actually a lot of diversity if you look around. Demon's Souls perhaps? Or some PixelJunk. Anyway, there is stuff out there besides shooters. And quite good too.

Demon's Souls seems interesting, but I've shied away from it due to the rumours of its difficulty :lol I've been looking at White Knight Chronicles though.

And wtf, I have to update the PSN Store to log onto it? Goddamn, fucking patches up the ass everywhere. I'll dig out my Master System and resort to playing Alex Kidd in Miracle World for eternity :mad:

Edit: derp, not the PSN store. I selected the wrong icon and started Home instead. Fuck.

surly

Banned
:lol

I actually enjoyed the Heavy Rain demo. I probably won't ever actually buy the game, but it was an interesting experience (despite the convoluted and clunky controls).
I skipped the demo and stayed away from reading too much about it, because I'd been looking forward to it for so long. IMO and to put it bluntly, you're using a clunky control scheme to play several parts in a shitty movie with poor actors. As a glimpse of what future games/movies/whatever could be like, it is kind of interesting, but not £40 interesting. I could live with a "saw my mate playing it over at his house" kind of interesting, but I WANT MY 40 QUID BACK!!! lol.

And wtf, I have to update the PSN Store to log onto it? Goddamn, fucking patches up the ass everywhere.
I've never had to download an update for the store itself.

diddlyD said:
there is a fight, after you rescue
pandora, where it starts with sirens, then you get the shield assholes, then the underground blade assfucks, and minotaurs, and more sirens... it goes on and on
. im on titan, and i can't get through it. the sirens get a circle over their head, i go to slaughter them for magic restoration, where you'd usually break their backs, and instead 90% of the time i throw them against the wall and they start fighting again, only to die when i hit them giving red orbs instead of blue. why is this happening? is it a titan thing where they don't want to give you magic back? i can't beat this fucking fight, it goes on for ever with no health restoration mobs, and eventually the cheap shots kill me. those fucks that go underground literally stay there for minutes at a time.

i've run into about 3 more showstopping bugs too since last i complained. i feel like i'm beta testing this p.o.s. game.
fighting the scorpion, one of his legs decided to stop taking damage while orange. had to reload. while fighting harpies and medusas another harpy bugged out under the ground or something, i couldnt kill it, and the camera wouldn't move to the next sequence, so i was stuck, forcing another reload
there was another but i can't recall in my rage what it was.
Sirens usually have 2 stun periods. The first is that throw then followed by the snap. Ground hogs are weak against L1+O and then mash O to dead their lives, but single them out though just to be safe. My method to kill Siren is to L1+O them and then do the triangle triangle triangle combo to weaken them fast.

Bernbaum

Noooooooooo...

I think I missed a Minotaur horn. I've gotten all the Gorgon Eyes and Feathers, but am one horn short of the final upgrade. Currently trekking through the cubes of the labyrinth and it's been ages since I've open an unmarked chest that wasn't filled with red orbs. Doesn't sound good.

I've had a few glitches too- Kratos getting stuck on scenery, and getting stuck in a 'falling' animation when fighting the
big fuck-off Scorprion with onyx limbs

Felt like a hero when I found out how to get all the hard-to-get-too chests in
Daedulus' design workshop with all the teleport paintings and the harpoon catapault in the middle

Got all the weapons, with everything upgraded but the purple swingy hook thingies. About 8 hours all up, so I'm guessing I'm not far from the end.

ZeroRay

Bernbaum said:
Felt like a hero when I found out how to get all the hard-to-get-too chests in
Daedulus' design workshop with all the teleport paintings and the harpoon catapault in the middle.

That and
Hera's Garden
were the only real puzzles in the game and the former was pretty much optional. I guess it wasn't that SSM couldn't do them anymore, they just didn't want to. :/

As for horns, there's gonna be at least one more, look out for the gold sparkles and use Helios' head.

Bernbaum

ZeroRay said:
That and
Hera's Garden
were the only real puzzles in the game and the former was pretty much optional.
Hera's Garden
was brilliant. As I was making why through it, I kept thinking "Finally, a nice level-based puzzle", even if it was a bit straight-forward. The whole
perspective shifting thing
was really quite genius and fitted in with the greek mythos wonderfully.

Would have liked more stuff like that, and am surprised the 'Labyrinth' wasn't a den of puzzles like I thought it would be.

My attitude to GoWIII is now pretty much: Yes, they're not doing a lot things that were great before, but the way they've chosen to present their game works just fine. I was cheering and clapping throughout the entire Chronos encounter, and I think that fight made me better appreciate what kind of tone SMM were trying to strike with the sequel.

Of course, I still need to finish the game, but I think I've resolved the few grievances I've had with the game now that I've played enough of it.

I'm itching to play GoWII now, and will patiently wait the Australian release of the trilogy collection. I've played GoW several times, but the second one only the once.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bern, there is a Minotaur Horn
on the top of the Labyrinth, there is a huge amount of land to check, but it is there. There is also a minotaur horn when you go back down to the initial Hades area. Both are in Helios Head invisible chests, I believe

Bernbaum

Rez said:
Bern, there is a Minotaur Horn
on the top of the Labyrinth, there is a huge amount of land to check, but it is there. There is also a minotaur horn when you go back down to the initial Hades area. Both are in Helios Head invisible chests, I believe
Thanks for the heads up. I think I got the first one you mentioned, but I guess I'll have to wait and see about the second one.

Only thing that got me worried was that I'd been finding a lot of hidden unmarked chests, I'd yell out "Minotaur Horn!" only to be rewarded with red orbs. About half a dozen or so in the last hour that I've been playing.

Not too fussed. Having a full item bar isn't anywhere near as important as full health and magic, it's just the OCD inside me is suffering!

Ballistictiger said:
I seriously died on
Cerberus battle on Chaos for over an hour doing balls to the wall method with Cestus. Alway died before killing the last head.
This guy beats it with no upgrades and health/magic upgrades. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtdVNMfYnD0

I bow this this guy.
You should check out his other stuff. He did NURs in GoW1 and GoW 2 as well. Imagine the Clotho's gauntlet with no upgrades and hardest difficulty.

black_vegeta said:
Excite and Moistness!
w2rs5.jpg

There is still Gran Turismo, Trico and FF VS 13 left. Since you got 360, there's Alan Wake, Reach and few more. Lots of gaming left this gen mang.

And yeah, I cannot stress enough how amazing Demon's Souls is. Its a true next gen game. Look at the Demon's Souls GAF thread. Its still active months after its release. The difficulty in DS is there, but its there for a reason and you'll keep coming back like a crack addict.

So, how many Greek figures are there left for Kratos to kill?

Apollo? Achilles? Dionysis? A bunch of assorted heroes he would have no reason to kill other than "because they're there?

Egyptian gods next

Top Bottom