• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

iyzlle.jpg

YAY! :D

Fuck that 1000 hit combo trophy. I'm sick of restarting that shit over and over getting to 300 and watching my chains grab NOTHING and resetting the counter. FUCK YOU!!!

Any other way besides hades' weapon?

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Fuck that 1000 hit combo trophy. I'm sick of restarting that shit over and over getting to 300 and watching my chains grab NOTHING and resetting the counter. FUCK YOU!!!

Apparently there's a part of the fight with hermes where if you spam L1 and square you can get 1000 without doing any damage.

The IGN guide is useful.

Amir0x

Banned
this game is so nuts. Also this one track that's been playing in Hades every so often reminds of one track from Doctor Who every time it comes on.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
MoonsaultSlayer said:

I did it at the first part of the battle against
Hercules
(playing on easy to grind some more trophies), using the Hades claws at level 1.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
God the Challenges of Exile are such a pain in the ass. The Challenges of Olympus are a walk in the park compared to those

Just beat Titan mode. That Cerberus fight was a a let down after all you guys hyped it up to be. Got it on my third try. They did a good job balancing the game I think.

If only there was a trophy or some nice prize for Chaos mode...

torontoml

Final fight on titan,
in Gaia's heart
how long should it last, I was going at it for like 20 min would have kept going but I screwed up once and died.

crispyben

As I've only just fought
Poseidon
, I can't read the thread, but do we know why Kratos didn't get his nose back on the PAL boxart??? It bugs me for some reason...

jett

D-Member
torontoml said:
Final fight on titan,
in Gaia's heart
how long should it last, I was going at it for like 20 min would have kept going but I screwed up once and died.

The trick is to attack Gaia's heart when it regenerates before Zeus does, so you get the health orbs instead of him. If you don't do this the fight will go on forever. :p Whenever you hear Gaia sigh, go for the heart and do the L1+[] move of the exile blades.

torontoml

jett said:
The trick is to attack Gaia's heart when it regenerates before Zeus does, so you get the health orbs instead of him. If you don't do this the fight will go on forever. :p Whenever you hear Gaia sigh, go for the heart and do the L1+[] move of the exile blades.
I do and he never gets to regenerate, it just keeps going, maybe my save is glitched or something.

GuessWho

the Challenges are IMPOSSIBLE! only done population control and knock out everyone up to 1000points. The rest is way too hard for me.

Zakkath

jett said:

Thats what I did too
for the first round, then I would hit Zeus before he charges the heart. 2 hits with the Cestus gloves are enough to break Zeus's charge. Then you can still go for the hearth and heal yourself.

@Guesswho : They are very hard indeed. I have completed 4-5 or them I think, but the one that requires you to get stoned 10 times is just too hard. I died as soon as I hit 5. I haven't beat Minotaur Ole either.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
crispyben said:
As I've only just fought
Poseidon
, I can't read the thread, but do we know why Kratos didn't get his nose back on the PAL boxart??? It bugs me for some reason...

Michael Jackson stole it.

RIP Jacko :'(

jett

D-Member
elohel said:
are the more difficult modes pretty balanced or are they OOC

out of control?

Titan isn't too bad, it's pretty fun.

Chaos is crazy ass shit. My save game marks 1 hour and 50 minutes and I haven't even reached the river styx yet. Poseidon was nuts, I died countless times. :p

SaitoH

jett said:
Titan isn't too bad, it's pretty fun.

Chaos is crazy ass shit. My save game marks 1 hour and 50 minutes and I haven't even reached the river styx yet. Poseidon was nuts, I died countless times. :p

Took me 3:00 hours to get to Hades on Chaos before I realized that the trophy is associated with Titan difficulty. Restarted on Titan and got to the same spot in under 1:30. Titan difficulty is very doable, but I don't think I'll be able to beat the game on Chaos.

yencid

stayed up till six am to beat it... damn that was a cool ending.
zeus fight was awesome specially the sideview + cestus:D

jett

D-Member
So what are some of your favorite moments in the game?

Despite all the epicness that goes on in this game, I think my fave one is
when you've already sliced one of Hermes's legs and he's begging for dear life. Just the way Kratos walks over to him with the lightning flashing in the background and the music blasting the chorus chant of KRATOS! KRATOS!
...you feel like such an evil badass motherfucker. Dunno, it just stuck with me!

The Chef

Bernbaum said:
Aaaaaaaaaand complete :D .

Well done Santa Monica, a hell of a ride. Finished with 57% of trophies, all weapons and health/magic/item bars maxed out but missed out on all Godly possessions.

Wow is the end boss easy.

I bet you were playing on normal like a bunk bitch
:D

jett said:

when you've already sliced one of Hermes's legs and he's begging for dear life. Just the way Kratos walks over to him with the lightning flashing in the background and the music blasting the chorus chant of KRATOS! KRATOS!
...you feel like such an evil badass motherfucker. Dunno, it just stuck with me!

I love that spot.

My favorite comes down between the gladiator fight with
Hercules and the doomsday / superman fight with Zeus

On a side note the colors going on during your first fight with
Zeus is absolutely breathtaking. The Reds, Purples, and blues as you guys smash the shit out of each other looks insane.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Amir0x said:
this game is so nuts. Also this one track that's been playing in Hades every so often reminds of one track from Doctor Who every time it comes on.

You mean Martha's Theme?

jett said:

Yea that was one of my favorite moments, too.

Amir0x

Banned
neojubei said:

No not that one. It also has a lady singing like that in the background in the Doctor Who song I'm thinking of, but it's more... mysterious and dark in tone, if that's any better indication.

It's in multiple seasons of Doctor Who, so it isn't associated only with Martha. Usually it's played when something with sort of cosmic significance is revealed, but not yet fully understood.

neojubei

Amir0x said:
No not that one. It also has a lady singing like that in the background in the Doctor Who song I'm thinking of, but it's more... mysterious and dark in tone, if that's any better indication.

It's in multiple seasons of Doctor Who, so it isn't associated only with Martha. Usually it's played when something with sort of cosmic significance is revealed, but not yet fully understood.

Think I found it. Had to use my sonic screwdriver.

Ok now I need to hear that song, I love Doctor Who. :D

the Doctor's theme.
or could be Doomsday.

Amir0x

Banned
THAT'S IT (Doctor's Theme)! Haha

It sounds similar to the God of War III track I hear every so often in this game. Not exactly the same, obviously, but it just reminds me of it.

So many favorite moments in the game, can't pick one!

1. Superman dash through big Poseidon's body in slow mo, grabbing Poseidon and throwing him at the wall, followed by an up close, and really personal fight. This is what its like to get owned by Kratos. This game drives home "Fear Nothing" tag like no other.

2. Boulder dash to Athena's statue. The jerk had no idea who he was messing with, and I was almost feeling sorry for him as I chased him :lol The dash was incredibly badass. After the awesome boulder dash, I was like "what now little bitch?" Made me feel invincible

3. Near the end when Kratos finds out the box is empty. Hoooly shit. Kratos angry x infinity + GoW 3 theme = universe explode

Obviously there are tons more, but these off the top of my head.

Canova

Banned
torontoml said:
Final fight on titan,
in Gaia's heart

spam L1 + circle like crazy, you'd be done in less than 3 minutes

The Chef

Amir0x said:
THAT'S IT (Doctor's Theme)! Haha

It sounds similar to the God of War III track I hear every so often in this game. Not exactly the same, obviously, but it just reminds me of it.

That track your talking about with the girl singing in the game is so foreboding. It gives me chills the whole time.

Damn I love this game. Have you guys watched the Making of Doc? That is the best game documentary I have ever seen. I can't believe it covers the end of the making of GOW2 right up to 3's release. Awesome stuff.

ZeroRay

The Chef said:
On a side note the colors going on during your first fight with
Zeus is absolutely breathtaking. The Reds, Purples, and blues as you guys smash the shit out of each other looks insane.

That has to be one of the best looking parts in any game ever. I remember when I died on that fight, before the game reloaded, one effect was removed from or added to the screen for a few seconds. I don't know what exactly it was, but the game really did look like a painting come to life and was probably the best looking game related thing I've seen. I know it doesn't make much sense but I wish I had a picture to show you guys.

obaidr

Banned
started my second run on titan and I have hard time beating the first boss. I know it will get easier after the first boss but he kills me all the fucking time :-/

neojubei

IronFistedChampion said:
So are there any vids of people using the Morpheus skin from 7-Eleven?

Someone posted a pic of it but it is too large so i rehosted it.

The Morpheus armor reminds me of Roman armor for some reason.

Another favorite God of War 3 moment

was when Kratos was going after Helios and he was using his hand to block the bright light. I am glad it was done differently than the demo and the talk about the events in Chains of Olympus was a bit cool.

Cruzader

Banned
GuessWho said:
the Challenges are IMPOSSIBLE! only done population control and knock out everyone up to 1000points. The rest is way too hard for me.
LOL

The Challenge of Olympus is way easier then previous GOW challenges. I cant wait for Challenge of Exiles to come to the store though.

neojubei

Cruzader said:
LOL

The Challenge of Olympus is way easier then previous GOW challenges. I cant wait for Challenge of Exiles to come to the store though.

Still trying the complete the Challenge of Olympus, but I think a lot of god of war fans will like the challenge of exile.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Finally managed to start this.

Just finished the Poseidon battle.

WOW. So much going on at such scale, I feel I need to replay it just to absorb everything properly.

It's bananas how good that first bit looks in places. I love the style of the clouds. The shadowing, the lighting, the post-processing...top-notch. It really does look like (quality) CG at times, I wish I could have taken a screenshot when you
drop down into the heart of gaia

And assuming that anti-aliasing works well in the general case, games should be docked points going forward for NOT using it :p It looks so good that really only texture aliasing stands in the way of a practically flawless picture.

My only nitpick so far - the Poseidon VA is ropey as hell :lol It'd been nice if they animated his face when talking too, during the battle.

Vyer

The sense of scale in this game is awesome. I cheated and played more of it, even though my intention is to finish part 2 in the collection first. Lol

The Chef

ZeroRay said:
That has to be one of the best looking parts in any game ever. I remember when I died on that fight, before the game reloaded, one effect was removed from or added to the screen for a few seconds. I don't know what exactly it was, but the game really did look like a painting come to life and was probably the best looking game related thing I've seen. I know it doesn't make much sense but I wish I had a picture to show you guys.

I know exactly what your talking about the colors combined with the effects of Kratos and Zeus's attack mix together to make a breathtaking spectacle of light and color. Its so damn gorgeous. Plus that is one of the most bad ass fights I have ever done in any game.

neojubei said:
Another favorite God of War 3 moment

was when Kratos was going after Helios and he was using his hand to block the bright light. I am glad it was done differently than the demo and the talk about the events in Chains of Olympus was a bit cool.

Oh man I totally forgot how well done that part was! I love how they misled us from the demo. This game is so incredible so damn epic that there are just to many excellent parts to remember all at once.

kikanny

The Chef said:
That track your talking about with the girl singing in the game is so foreboding. It gives me chills the whole time.

Damn I love this game. Have you guys watched the Making of Doc? That is the best game documentary I have ever seen. I can't believe it covers the end of the making of GOW2 right up to 3's release. Awesome stuff.
I agree. The best making of documentary ever made. I usually don't see this stuff, but this was an exception. It is of top quality. I recommend everyone to see it. It actually gave me a fantastic idea of the turmoil the fellows at SM went through to make this game.

Also, here are my favorite moments in the game.

1. When Poseidon reveals himself as the full fledged monster. Ten minutes into the game and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Also L3 + R3 :D
2. When you first encounter Hades. It's all dark and he's talking to you. And of all a sudden the guy reveals himself with his awesome claws. The atmosphere, lighting and the colors were just too beautiful to describe.
3. Seeing Hephaestus for the first time. The way they portrayed that character was just fantastic. The guy lost his kid, his wife, is in Hades and Kratos who was the reason for all that is standing right there. But Hephaestus doesn't get pissed off when he sees him. He's just humorous and goes on about his work. Really charming to see.
4. The fear Kratos part. Really unique and ballsy visual style
5. First person view against Zeus. Totally did not expect that!
6. Keeping on punching Zeus. I didn't know I had to stop. The screen was all red and I continued mashing the O button for 5 minutes.

Top Bottom