• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök PC - DF Tech Review - PC vs PS5 - Optimised Settings

Sony's PC ports are extremely boring, most of them run well even on average machines sure but on several games the "ultra" settings look just like the PS5 quality mode, only Returnal looks way better, so pretty much every average AAA on PC looks better than the Sony ports.

Honestly even on Playstation, graphically they used to be a graphical benchmark with the Rockstar's games, nowadays there are several third parties that are more impressive than this GoW or Spiderman 2 which is next-gen only.

Even the new Ghost of Yotei, tho they didn't show much, nothing seen was too crazy or something we had not seen before.

Naughty Dog or Bend shut my mouth please, thanks

hinch7

Sony's PC ports are extremely boring, most of them run well even on average machines sure but on several games the "ultra" settings look just like the PS5 quality mode, only Returnal looks way better, so pretty much every average AAA on PC looks better than the Sony ports.

Honestly even on Playstation, graphically they used to be a graphical benchmark with the Rockstar's games, nowadays there are several third parties that are more impressive than this GoW or Spiderman 2 which is next-gen only.

Even the new Ghost of Yotei, tho they didn't show much, nothing seen was too crazy or something we had not seen before.

A lot of them are usually borked unless done by Nixxies, and they were busy remastering wasting their time with Horizon.

Fess

Sounds like a horrible port, anytime there are missing effects and features you failed your mission.
I’m sure they’ll patch missing things. But as long as their mission is to push people toward their consoles I doubt you’ll see much improved PC versions of Sony’s games. Modding can make things quite spectacular though!

Pagusas

Elden Member
I’m sure they’ll patch missing things. But as long as their mission is to push people toward their consoles I doubt you’ll see much improved PC versions of Sony’s games. Modding can make things quite spectacular though!
How has the modding support ben on these titles?

Codeblew

This is the most interesting thing when you know the I/O complex on PS5 have this own processor for decompression, And the 3D Audio too with the Tempest Engine. So base CPU on PS5 are less struggle.
Of course, this is working if devs really want to push the PS5, mainly not happen with all shit port multisupport.
Also, since PS5 has shared memory, it can save a bit of CPU cycles by not having to transfer data to GPU memory.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So which PC hardware is needed to match PS5 performance here, 1:1 apples to apples without DLSS?
Dunno, but I think something substantially more powerful than a 6700. I would wager at the very least a 3060 Ti, maybe even a 3070 Ti, but there are no matched settings or scenes anywhere online. Plus, the PS5 in its Performance Mode uses a custom value for shadows that is between Low and Medium. Shadows seem to be the most impactful individual setting as dropping from Medium to Low can net you gains in the 23% range. As a result, even if we do get closely matched settings, it's hard to tell how much more demanding Medium is over the PS5's setting. Could be 3% but could also be 20%.

Last edited:

Xyphie

So which PC hardware is needed to match PS5 performance here, 1:1 apples to apples without DLSS?

Why would using DLSS matter? The game uses TAAU 1440p on PS5 in the >=60fps mode. DLSS would just give you better results at whatever scaling factor they reconstruct that from. Cost would be about the same.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Any gaffers want to give impressions on this game? Not the perf so much, but the actual game itself. Me, I like 2016 well enough, but am not over the moon about the new direction like some people. I liked it well enough to buy a sequel, I've just heard some mixed reviews, especially from people who felt the same as me about 2016.
I'll say this much, the main story is weaker for sure but I appreciated the sense of adventure in all the realms. It's the first game since Morrowind that I appreciated the game telling me to have a sense of adventure and explore which I found to be the best part of the game

Puscifer

I think it's because Returnal is a real next Gen only game. I couldn't believe how much more RT effects they added, the PS5 version looks empty by comparison.

yamaci17

The game has obvious issues with the thread usage on the 3600.

K3gO92N.png

You have a bunch that are practically idle. Average usage across the 12 threads on the 3600 is 35%. It's 58% on the 5600X.
expect more of this to happen. that is what happens when you decide to stick around with a experimental cpu architecture. amd was quick to abandon ccx stuff for 6-8 core chips and at some point devs won't care how ideal their games run on them

I don't have a big problem with this, as a 5600 is super cheap to pick up and you can practically put that on some random b450 board, but that doesn't change the fact that ryzen 3600 etc. aged horribly compared to its intel counterparts (i5 10400). intel cpu has no such issue, and will perform like it should, while restricting upgrade paths but then again, someone who decides to keep their 3600 in 2024 (no problem with them either, I myself still hold on to my cpu), would also hold on to a potential 10400. in that case, if this potential user does not plan to upgrade, it looks like 10400 was the better choice in the end

because this happens in some other games. although it is not pronounced like how it happens here, it can very much happen in super specific CPU bound locations

this also happens in jedi survivor and hogwarts legacy but digital foundry/alex never took notice. idk why. i5 10400 practically gets around 60-70 fps in hogsmeade while 3600 buckles to 40-45 fps with horrific frametimes. same happens in koboh where 3600 just buckles with <15 fps 1% lows while i5 10400 puts somewhat of a playable 40-60 fps in koboh. it is quite insane actually and funny too because most of the complaints come from 3600 users, which is a sizable group of people (and a reason why tech outlets keep covering these cpus). they were led to these experimental ccx cpus back in 2019 due to how cheap they were and performant compared to intel counterparts. some of these folks eventually moved on to 5600 etc. but some of them stayed. those who stayed are suffering horribly in 2024's CPU bound games

FUNNY part is it affects zen 2 more it looks like. my 2700x gets around 50 FPS as well EXACTLY in that location lol

Last edited:

sachos

Its really annoying how inconsistent they seem to be with their testing methodologies depending on the game/video. Some games they test against equivalent PC, some don't, some they do side by side other videos they show short clips one after another in different situations.
Testing against a 500 usd PC seems like such and obvious thing to do for a tech review channel imo...

Last edited:

Fess

How has the modding support ben on these titles?
It varies, nothing like in Bethesda games but it’s in line with regular PC games. Ragnarök is new so mostly reshades and save files with special unlocked items and costumes so far. In older releases things are modded more, model swaps, like in Horizon Zero Dawn where Aloy can get curvy and run around in a bikini, modern audiences beware, and Returnal with access to all Metroid Samus Aran suits is cool, then there are gameplay mods etc.

How were the horizon 2 and rift apart ports? Was the PS5 quality mode better than pc like GoW?

Zathalus

How were the horizon 2 and rift apart ports? Was the PS5 quality mode better than pc like GoW?
Nope, Horizon was slightly better with things like better AF, and Rift Apart was significantly better with two extra RT effects the PS5 version didn’t have. Even the original God of War had significant graphical upgrades. This is the second port with missing graphical effects. TLOU was the other, but that game was in an even worse state and eventually got everything patched in to scale beyond PS5.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Haven’t tested, so I don’t know. I also ain’t buying this for $60 when the Pro is right around the corner with a $10 upgrade.
I mean, there's no way they would lie though.

Sounds like a good update, and I'm sure almost if not all of this port's issues will be fixed eventually.

Speaking of, still no word of a Pro upgrade…
Yep. Many First Party missing still.

Name me some of the average AAA pc games that look better than GOW and Spiderman 2 please

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's always like this. On every port I own it starts out iffy, then give it a month or so and it's fixed and runs like a dream. The only game I did not experience this with is Returnal, which was flawless from the start. I purchased it day 1.

Name me some of the average AAA pc games that look better than GOW and Spiderman 2 please
Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk, Hellblade 2, Black Myth: Wukong, both Flight Simulators, A Plague Tale: Requiem, Avatar, Hogwarts, F1 24 (which i found to be the best looking game on that Digital Foundry Ps5 Pro presentation video), RDR2, Star Citizen.... well and STALKER 2 or Kingdoms Come Deliverance 2 as games that are coming soon too

And there are other games that i wouldn't say that look clearly better than these 2, but have several moments that look more impressive like Death Stranding, Star Wars (i'd say last 2 ones), and some others with good RT/PT usage or mods like DD2 but this isn't that fair.

Many of these are less well rounded than the ones you named, specially in animations or Mocap, but they look more advanced and impressive than Spiderman or specially GoW. Lightning plays a very important role on the ones i named i must say, which is not the case on games like GoW or Horizon Forbidden West.

Gaiff

Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk, Hellblade 2, Black Myth: Wukong, both Flight Simulators, A Plague Tale: Requiem, Avatar, Hogwarts, F1 24 (which i found to be the best looking game on that Digital Foundry Ps5 Pro presentation video), RDR2, Star Citizen.... well and STALKER 2 or Kingdoms Come Deliverance 2 as games that are coming soon too

And there are other games that i wouldn't say that look clearly better than these 2, but have several moments that look more impressive like Death Stranding, Star Wars (i'd say last 2 ones), and some others with good RT/PT usage or mods like DD2 but this isn't that fair.

Many of these are less well rounded than the ones you named, specially in animations or Mocap, but they look more advanced and impressive than Spiderman or specially GoW. Lightning plays a very important role on the ones i named i must say, which is not the case on games like GoW or Horizon Forbidden West.
To be fair, there aren’t many first-party PS5-only AAA games.

Rift Apart
Demon’s Souls
Spider-Man 2
TLOU1
Astrobot?

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion I'd say hellblade 2 and cyberpunk 2.0 are comparable to GOW R nothing else even close Flight sim maybe but that's a wild comparison

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I love how Nixxes made a name for themselves by doing literally the bare minimum.... i.e., making competent PC ports.

With the new horizon remaster they are doing, they didnt even bother adding RTGI or RT reflections or increasing the draw distance. Same bullshit fog masking the poor LOD on distant objects. You had PC modders in 2020 doing insane things upping the draw distance and removing fog from the game. these guys made a brand new game for the ps5 and forgot to fix the one issue with the game's visuals.

This port is made by the same team that did the GOW 2018 port and they took 2 more years to port over ragnorak. ok. great. But can we add at least something new to the game maybe?

Gaiff

I love how Nixxes made a name for themselves by doing literally the bare minimum.... i.e., making competent PC ports.

With the new horizon remaster they are doing, they didnt even bother adding RTGI or RT reflections or increasing the draw distance. Same bullshit fog masking the poor LOD on distant objects. You had PC modders in 2020 doing insane things upping the draw distance and removing fog from the game. these guys made a brand new game for the ps5 and forgot to fix the one issue with the game's visuals.

This port is made by the same team that did the GOW 2018 port and they took 2 more years to port over ragnorak. ok. great. But can we add at least something new to the game maybe?
I'm not exactly sure what Sony is doing. It's a bit inconsistent. You have games like Returnal and Rift Apart that scale nicely above their console versions, but you also have games like HFW and GOWR that look pretty much identical. It's a bit lazy to do a port 2 years later and add absolutely nothing.

Gaiff

Err how it looks on ps4 means as much as how hellblade 2 looks on a 2016 gpu 😅 I'm talking about GOW R on ps5, aren't cyberpunk and flight sim xbox ONE games??
GOWR on PS5 looks like a hi-res PS4 game. It's not like HFW which legitimately looks much better than the PS4 version. Pretending that it's a top-tier game visually is laughable.

Flight Sim isn't one Xbox One.

GOWR on PS5 looks like a hi-res PS4 game. It's not like HFW which legitimately looks much better than the PS4 version. Pretending that it's a top-tier game visually is laughable.

Flight Sim isn't one Xbox One.
Correct on flight sim I was thinking of Series S which I played it on before I got my Series x lol your opinion on God of Wars graphics are laughable..but again you are entitled to your opinion
jI3lP30.jpeg
uZEEefe.jpeg

Last edited:

These ports are being made for ~$2M-$3M.. There's no scope to add things which likely aren't going to move any needles for sales.

I can't fault Nixxes when even Guerrilla can't even gives us RTGI on Forbidden West I thought for sure that was guaranteed with a pro upgrade.

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion I'd say hellblade 2 and cyberpunk 2.0 are comparable to GOW R nothing else even close Flight sim maybe but that's a wild comparison
Stuff that's the top end graphical experience such as Cyberpunk, HB2, AW 2 or Wukong, i wouldn't call these comparable to GoW, Spiderman or Horizon to be fair, but for others from my list:

An example from the same youtuber showcasing games on ultra and 4k, here's GoW:

And A Plague Tale: Requiem

Skip to any gameplay section, to me at least they don't play in the same league, lightning and textures specially. Could do this with any of the games i mentioned, all of them will look more impressive.

As for snow sections, i think RDR 2 could be comparable to GoW:R, and it also looks better in my opinion:

Almost half are on PC. The remaining 3 id reckon at least one will get ported in the future too
He's refering to next-gen only games (non cross-gen ones basically) more than games that aren't playable on PC, and he's right, but some games from my list are also crossgen, and Sony has a big enough budget to work properly on both versions, like Hogwarts or Star Wars.

Also, for next-gen announced games, i'd also say Death Stranding 2 or others such as KCD 2 if we also add PC ones, look more impressive than what was seen from Ghost of Yutei, tho i don't want to compare since we almost saw nothing and we know how much graphics can change over the years for future games.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Correct on flight sim I was thinking of Series S which I played it on before I got my Series x lol your opinion on God of Wars graphics are laughable..but again you are entitled to your opinion
jI3lP30.jpeg
uZEEefe.jpeg
Yeah, hi-res PS4 games.

bkR6KQC.png
j9iiTJO.png
5HedTEX.png

But you're trying to tell us that this looks better than Alan Wake 2. You actually went a step further and claimed games like Frontiers of Pandora, A Plague Tale Requiem, or Black Myth Wukong aren't even close. Does that sound like someone objective or credible to you?

Last edited:
Yeah, hi-res PS4 games.

bkR6KQC.png
j9iiTJO.png
5HedTEX.png

But you're trying to tell us that this looks better than Alan Wake 2. You actually went a step further and claimed games like Frontiers of Pandora, A Plague Tale Requiem, or Black Myth Wukong aren't even close. Does that sound like someone objective or credible to you?

Every game mentioned looks great nothing mentioned is better looking than God of War R running on a ps5 or high end pc they are comparable

Gaiff

Every game mentioned looks great nothing mentioned is better looking than God of War R running on a ps5 or high end pc they are comparable
lmao, no, GOWR is not comparable to Alan Wake 2. It's a PS4 game in damn near every aspect. It still looks very good but does not belong in the conversation among top-tier games. The PS5 version doesn't do enough over the PS4 version to deserve to be in this discussion.

Dude, please... Alan Wake 2 is in a complete other stratosphere when it comes to lighting and shading. Do not get me wrong, God of War: Ragnarok is a gorgeous looking game. It has amazing art direction and some beautiful models and environments... but it's absolutely flat as a board when it comes to lighting and it's completely obvious to anyone playing them now.

SKYF@ll

It's a mistake to use reduced screenshots of the PS5 version to compare it with the PS4 version.
The same goes for judging whether the graphics are superior by looking at reduced images.
These are screenshots of my PS5. *PhotoMode (performance Mode).
IZ2RZFc.jpg

lmbLhvH.jpg
82aj8Sy.jpg

I prefer 1440p/60fps (NO RT) to 720p/30fps (RT mode).

Gaiff

It's a mistake to use reduced screenshots of the PS5 version to compare it with the PS4 version.
The same goes for judging whether the graphics are superior by looking at reduced images.
IZ2RZFc.jpg

lmbLhvH.jpg
82aj8Sy.jpg

We all know what the game looks like. It looks good. It’s just not on the level of Alan Wake 2 on PC.

IZ2RZFc.jpg

lmbLhvH.jpg
82aj8Sy.jpg

I've literally had my non gamer girl casually watching and said how amazing it looks its a moving painting 🖼

Top Bottom