• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

daveo42

Banned
Saw the movie last night. I really liked it and it felt a lot like an actual Godzilla film, but
with less kaiju action. I didn't mind the teases and the final fight along with Godzilla's atomic breath weapon were good reveals. The movie didn't blow its load early with respect to big fights like some other kaiju movie.

It wasn't perfect, with a few issues that didn't ruin the movie, but could have been done better.
Most of these moments are related to people just not noticing stuff (hello giant hole I the side of the mountain), or forgetting things like the EMP while letting pilots go out and fly around all of the time.

Definitely worth the price. I'd also suggest seeing it the theater because of the sound design. Simply fantastic. Also, did anyone else
get all of the Jurassic Park references sprinkled throughout the movie? I thought those were a nice touch.

Mdk7

Guys, can you please help me?
I cannot decide between right and left (and also i'm not 100% convinced about the Kanji), i've worked too much on this and cannot focus anymore, LOL.

BnwglVxIUAEr-LW.png:large

After this it's pretty much over, maybe just a small color correction and i'm there.
Thanks!

Guys, can you please help me?
I cannot decide between right and left (and also i'm not 100% convinced about the Kanji), i've worked too much on this and cannot focus anymore, LOL.

BnwglVxIUAEr-LW.png:large

After this it's pretty much over, maybe just a small color correction and i'm there.
Thanks!

left the mist looks static, which looks kinda odd. Also the kanji could be positioned more to the left, seems like it nearly got cut off that far to the right.

I joke around that he's a scholar and a gentleman, but he really is a polite kaijuu!

- he doesn't tumble ships when he dives or emerges
- lets people follow him without being a bother
- is polite enough to dive beneath bridges and ships
- saves innocents from projectile misfire done by military!
- he has that moe face

such a dapper fellow

tumblr_m4aumlq5BI1rwy72mo1_400.jpg
I think this Godzilla will be remembered as "Sir Zilla". Nice guy, I'd buy him a beer.

So does Godzilla have the regenerative properties of say godzilla 2000? With how
rough his battle with the mutos where, with all them stabbing and biting the fuck outta him, you'd expect more 'battle damage' by sunrise no?

vareon

I think that's my issue. I had never seen the older Godzilla movies and only know about him in his modern outings so some stuff may not have clicked with me as much

People who don't anticipate it as much probably won't feel much at the climax moments of the movie
the breath, and the mouth-to-mouth breathing holy shit
. And they perhaps chuckle a bit at
dad's mothra

Second gripe is
why pay Ken Watanabe if all you have is him gaping at stuff.

Other than that, loved it. Buildup was good and everytime Godzilla roars, or appears on the screen, was a triumph. They managed to make him look seriously big. I'm getting my second viewing next week.

Camp Lo

Banned
Just got back from the movie.

It was absolute garbage.

Bryan Cranston delivered a great performance in a minor role, everything else was awful.

Aside from Cranston I didn't care about any of the characters and their actors didn't care about delivering an non-phoned in performance.

Ken Watanabe had the most cliche corny dialogue imaginable and the entire human cast was absolutely useless.

The human cast being awful would be less of a problem if it wasn't 90% of the movie. Oh, and if the monster part of the movie was ok, but that was garbage too.

Every time the monsters fight it cuts away almost immediately until the climax, where we still only get a few good action shots. Basically just the ways Godzilla
actually defeats the MUTOs.
Those couple of brief scenes aside, the monster action was incredibly boring, when it was even there.

So if the humans all were terrible (Cranston aside) and ultimately pointless, and the monster action is barely present and not that great. What exactly was the point of this movie? It was just boring, bottom line.

Save your money, this movie isn't worth the time.

Well, this convinced me to save my money.

People who don't anticipate it as much probably won't feel much at the climax moments of the movie
the breath, and the mouth-to-mouth breathing holy shit
. And they perhaps chuckle a bit at
dad's mothra

Second gripe is
why pay Ken Watanabe if all you have is him gaping at stuff.

Other than that, loved it. Buildup was good and everytime Godzilla roars, or appears on the screen, was a triumph. They managed to make him look seriously big. I'm getting my second viewing next week.

One of my biggest complaints is the actors overall.Bryan Cranston was incredible but
needed more of him

The other actors were really wooden and didn't make me care at all. That's the main reason why I wanted more Godzilla to show up more. If the acting was much better and the characters were better then the gaps wouldn't have felt like a chore

Great movie, enjoyed it.

The only part that kinda iff-ed me a little bit was how I felt that the Gojira lore was hypothesized.
It felt like a really large leap of logic for the Doctor to say that Gojira's aim was probably to restore balance to the world. All they had of Gojira was one sighting where they tried to kill it, and the story never really delved deeper into understanding the psyche of the monsters outside of MUTO. Nothing ever seemed to indicate him to the Doctor as The Chosen One, He Who Will Bring Balance to the Kaiju.

My guess is that
Godzilla never messed with anyone until MUTO came around. The two times it called out were just a response to the MUTO mating call. Otherwise, Godzilla just stay chillin'.

Senoculum

Godzilla shaped up to be the very best blockbuster of the year.

I loved every minute of it.

The cutting back and forth from multiple perspectives is something the Director did very well in his TV movie 'End Day'. He has a knack for grounding his camera work not keeping at eye-level with the giant disasters/monsters. The human viewpoint was key.

Excellent filmmaking all around. I'd love it to be recognized for some technical awards, like Editing, and both sound awards. It's that good.

Maddocks

you can only do so much having the main protag be ARMY MAN.

he was navy. so navy man!

I liked it so much. Im so happy with all the fight teases, it reminded me of jaws, always around never seen till needed. He was a gentleman when it comes to fighting, he didn't bother with the army and navy crew because he is a alpha male predator. He only views other predators as his equal and dealt with them and then went back to sleep or
feed off that nuke that went off in the ocean.

thenexus6

Thanks buddy, i do appreciate your comment.

I'm currently finishing the piece during my lunch break, and then i'll put it on Qwertee (i'll try and see if i'm lucky this time), Redbubble and Society6 as a print. It's definitely coming soon, i'll post the links here afterwards! :)

Yes - looking forward to it!

I don't recall a movie on here being so split between "loved it!" and "it was terrible!". Kind of weird to see such a disparity of opinions.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, I liked that
they teased it on television and whatnot. The only one that was a bit annoying was when the doors closed, but that was quickly followed up by fighting so its cool.

Sorry to bring up Pacific Rim again :lol, but that film spent its wad halfway through with the Hong Kong fight. Nothing after that came close to being as entertaining. The final battle was genuinely terrible. It was entertaining up until that point, and then really boring after that. If Godzilla had poor characters (which I don't think it did; it had stock characters, basic characters, but they weren't poor. Everything you needed to know about them in terms of being vessels for the audience to see react to the events was in backstory and glimpses of things), it at least spent time building them up to lend situations more gravitas.

They're entirely different films based around the same concept, so the constant comparisons are lazy, and I'm as guilty as anyone. But Godzilla was an exercise in restraint, in pacing, in knowing when to do this and that.

hal9001

Banned
My review:

Godzilla
It was slightly better than your usual summer blockbuster film. Maybe I went in with a little too high of expectations and that's why I felt a little disappointed by it. The first 20min started out very well and I thought the film would go in a totally different direction as opposed to what we got in the second act (which felt aimless and really lethargic). At least the final battle made up for it and it was great to see Godzilla in his full power (although I did get a little déjà vu from King Kong). If I had to choose honestly, I would say I enjoyed watching Pacific Rim more.

I do want to see a sequel.

Vysetron

Neo Member
I was really disappointed, but not just because Godzilla is teased for the entire movie
only to win in three moves
. I'm especially disappointed because this is going to be a lot of people's first exposure to a Godzilla movie and it's a two hour slog with boring characters (except for Cranston, obviously), terrible writing, and constant teases that never really get anywhere. I don't want this to become the standard for monster movies. Godzilla deserves better.

All that aside, both atomic breath bits were fucking fantastic

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Just got back from the movie.

It was absolute garbage.

Bryan Cranston delivered a great performance in a minor role, everything else was awful.

Aside from Cranston I didn't care about any of the characters and their actors didn't care about delivering an non-phoned in performance.

Ken Watanabe had the most cliche corny dialogue imaginable and the entire human cast was absolutely useless.

The human cast being awful would be less of a problem if it wasn't 90% of the movie. Oh, and if the monster part of the movie was ok, but that was garbage too.

Every time the monsters fight it cuts away almost immediately until the climax, where we still only get a few good action shots. Basically just the ways Godzilla
actually defeats the MUTOs.
Those couple of brief scenes aside, the monster action was incredibly boring, when it was even there.

So if the humans all were terrible (Cranston aside) and ultimately pointless, and the monster action is barely present and not that great. What exactly was the point of this movie? It was just boring, bottom line.

Save your money, this movie isn't worth the time.

While I wouldn't call the movie garbage, the rest is very accurate and mostly how I feel :(

Scarecrow

They REALLY needed to show
more of the fight at the airport. It was a nice gag to cut away to the tv, but you HAVE to go back and give us a legit fight.

glaurung

Saw it last night at the local premiere.

The action was great, though relatively pointless. There is also an uncanny amount of genuine stupidity in this thing. Watanabe's character is so completely pointless, it made my eyes roll.

Cranston is good... but he isn't in the movie a whole lot. Cloverfield monster design curse strikes again.

The agony of the ending was cumbersome too. The movie is at least 20 minutes too long.

Pointless token female characters.

Mr. RHC

Well, this convinced me to save my money.

I would give it a shot at least.
I mean, I'm guilty of not watching blockbusters myself when the reviews tell me: Yeah, this movie is pretty much average boring to bad like the Amazing Spiderman.
And I admit it: This is not how you do(watch) blockbusters. You go and watch them and enjoy them or not.

something that's a bit different from most toho godzilla flicks after the original. You actually see many civilian/bystander/soldiers casualties, but they don't really bother too much about that, in an almost horror flick comedic way.

I guess thats what the pg-13 rating can get you.

I'm still calling bs that they hadn't really had a contingency plan
especially with them knowing there are huge radiation eating animals for many years. Carrying a nuke cross country over old rickety railroads isn't a 'plan'. Why not use prototype rail gun tech, or invent 'masers' or w/e the lightning tech that is used in most toho films from the military? Why didn't they just use the many nuclear powered supercarriers we have around the world as bait?

something that's a bit different from most toho godzilla flicks after the original. You actually see many civilian/bystander/soldiers casualties, but they don't really bother too much about that, in an almost horror flick comedic way.

I guess thats what the pg-13 rating can get you.

I'm not sure if you're saying Godzilla 2014 is different or similar to the movies after the original.

I mean,
Ford washed up on shore with a bunch of dead military personnel.

Plenty of people get washed up in the tsunami.

Civilians from the train fall to their death.

An entire carrier full of soldiers we had just seen is SMASHED by MUTO daddy.

Ford's entire group of paradroppers is swiped away by MUTO mama, and the others are straight up eaten.

I'm not sure if you're saying Godzilla 2014 is different or similar to the movies after the original.

I mean,
Ford washed up on shore with a bunch of dead military personnel.

Plenty of people get washed up in the tsunami.

Civilians from the train fall to their death.

An entire carrier full of soldiers we had just seen is SMASHED by MUTO daddy.

Ford's entire group of paradroppers is swiped away by MUTO mama, and the others are straight up eaten.

saying its a bit different. Most godzilla films you see civilians running away while monsters are stomping around, and at most just a key cast dies for plot reason.

Blablurn

I understand the criticsm about not enough Godzilla. But it seems like they will get their money back in the end. Probably even making a good win.

And why should they go all out already?

This movie could be the tip of a huge icerberg to come.

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/467306221976813568

From HSX, "for comps: WWARZ 3.6 / 66.4 (8PM+); PACRM 3.6 / 37.3 (thr late shows); HOBT2 8.8 / 73.6 (midnight); SPID5 8.7 / 91.6 (7PM+)"

is this good?

Meier

I understand the criticsm about not enough Godzilla. But it seems like they will get their money back in the end. Probably even making a good win.

Estimates were $70-75m opening weekend. With that kind of midnight, you have to think $90m is a very realistic possibility. Certainly low to mid $80s on the low end. Production budget was $160m, so it should be halfway there (as far as the production budget goes) by the end of the weekend.

is this good?

Very, very good. Total gross of $200m (on the low end) is a give-in now. Pacific Rim finished with $102m for reference.

Blablurn

Estimates were $70-75m opening weekend. With that kind of midnight, you have to think $90m is a very realistic possibility. Certainly low to mid $80s on the low end. Production budget was $160m, so it should be halfway there (as far as the production budget goes) by the end of the weekend.

Awww great!

And as I stated before. The movie will get another significant bump in June due to the late Chinese release.

So, both Godzilla and X-Men were released yesterday here in Mexico.

I like to go to the movies alone in Saturdays. Specially at noon. No people at all.

So, which of these two movies should I go and see tomorrow? I want to go and see a movie today too, but Friday, it is going to be a bit crowded.

vareon

Very, very good. Total gross of $200m (on the low end) is a give-in now. Pacific Rim finished with $102m for reference.

Gipsy Danger rides Godzilla in Pacific Rim vs Godzilla confirmed?

Mdk7

So, both Godzilla and X-Men were released yesterday here in Mexico.

I like to go to the movies alone in Saturdays. Specially at noon. No people at all.

So, which of these two movies should I go and see tomorrow? I want to go and see a movie today too, but Friday, it is going to be a bit crowded.

The King is back, you know what to do son.

Top Bottom