• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Jaeger

The pacing is so wonderful is this film. I need to go see it again. This was a love letter to the great Godzilla films. In fact, I'd put it right there with the greats.

And the special effects were incredible. Same for the sound.

The pacing is so wonderful is this film. I need to go see it again. This was a love letter to the great Godzilla films. In fact, I'd put it right there with the greats.

Im salivating at the mouth man. I wish my GF was as excited. Shes only going cuz cranston is in it.

Sephzilla

47d9c92134daba9635fd92e639edbbac.jpeg

I like the way most of the shots from the trailers that features Godzilla are different in the final movie. They made it to not spoil. It was a nice surprise

in the trailer, the shot where you see people running inside a shelter and closing door, you have a sneak peak at G's head. In the movie, G's fighting with Muto. Same for the HALO jump, in the trailer you can only peak at G. In the movie, you see him fighting during the fall

Grisby

Seeing this in a few hours. Excited. I'm glad that we seem to have monster movies again.

I watched a bit of G VS Bollante last night. I hadn't seen a real Godzilla movie in years and it was a pretty delightful time. I really liked the opening and I think I'm gonna try and get the movie that happens before it (super x?).

Sephzilla

Seeing this in a few hours. Excited. I'm glad that we seem to have monster movies again.

I watched a bit of G VS Bollante last night. I hadn't seen a real Godzilla movie in years and it was a pretty delightful time. I really liked the opening and I think I'm gonna try and get the movie that happens before it (super x?).

Godzilla 1985 is the movie before Biollante.

My only complaint with Vs Biollante is just that the final fight is way too short.

Jaeger

Since this is the aptly named Legendary Godzilla thread, here is some random stuff;

Upcoming SH MonsterArts Godzilla

gjeXxWN9.jpg

And I can''t wait until this happens one day!
Jj1HdNqh.jpg

Maybe now that Toho see's Legendary can handle Godzilla proper, they will let them have access to the whole roster. Although I wouldn't mind more
new Kaiju!

Toxi

Banned
Since this is the aptly named Legendary Godzilla thread, here is some random stuff;

Upcoming SH MonsterArts Godzilla

gjeXxWN9.jpg
UGUU SO EXPENSIVE YET SO GOOD

ONLY THING THAT WOULD BE BETTER IS MONSTERARTS MEGALON.

It's really hard to take anyone seriously who thinks Pacific Rim was a better film than Godzilla. Let's be real.
They're different kind of films.

People need to get over the comparisons unless they're comparing the monster action scenes.

Jesus Christ, they're different kind of films.

People need to get over the comparisons unless they're comparing the monster action scenes.

Seriously, and even comparing the fight scenes, it's still kind of apples and oranges. I enjoyed Pacific Rim, but barring a few shots, it really focused on jaeger vs. kaiju and not so much the scale of them from a human perspective. Godzilla is almost the complete opposite.

Jesus Christ, they're different kind of films.

QFT. One is balls to the wall action fun and silliness, while the other is a lot more tense and sombre. Even the big fights in Godzilla have a very heavy, serious feel to them. But the overall structure of the movies is completely different, I don't know how you can compare them.

Saw it last night at the Science Center IMAX (hadn't been to a real IMAX in years!).

Thought it was pretty good, nothing mind blowing, but good. I barely noticed the 3D at all (Pacific Rim seemed to have it beat there), but that's not really a negative or positive to me.

Was a little disappointed in the MUTO(s) since they
were more or less the same design, just with one bigger and one smaller that could fly
. I also thought "MUTO" was a silly name to call the giant monsters. It just sounded goofy coming out of the mouths of all these serious military dudes and scientists.

And as far as the
money shot
was concerned
the flame breath was pretty rad, but I felt like it could have been better. Seemed a little... thin I guess. But the charge-up sound was super awesome.

Porcile

Saw it this evening. On the one-hand it completely lacks any of the contextual stuff which made the original Godzilla such an interesting film and is completely devoid of any sort b-movie satire. I expected as much but was still really disappointed in how bland the human characters were. No one of any interest there. On the other hand, Gareth really did the actual character of Godzilla justice. Any scene where Godzilla was on screen was very enjoyable and nostalgic. They really captured him well.

I wish it was set in the 1950s and less dry, but we just have an obsession about destroying the present day. Also, the Muto sub-plot treaded a bit too close to GINO for comfort at times.

Sequel with more Godzilla? Sure, why the hell not.

Experien

Saw it last night at the Science Center IMAX (hadn't been to a real IMAX in years!).

Thought it was pretty good, nothing mind blowing, but good. I barely noticed the 3D at all (Pacific Rim seemed to have it beat there), but that's not really a negative or positive to me.

Was a little disappointed in the MUTO(s) since they
were more or less the same design, just with one bigger and one smaller that could fly
. I also thought "MUTO" was a silly name to call the giant monsters. It just sounded goofy coming out of the mouths of all these serious military dudes and scientists.

And as far as the
money shot
was concerned
the flame breath was pretty rad, but I felt like it could have been better. Seemed a little... thin I guess. But the charge-up sound was super awesome.

MUTO explanation -
Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism
, I missed that when I watched the movie and was kind of taken back when Ken just said it.

Are the people saying the film was too dark seeing this in 3D? Despite the obvious stuff where things are purposefully concealed in smoke, in 2D it wasn't difficult to tell what was happening during the night scenes

KalBalboa

Banned
Just got back from the theater.

I was very underwhelmed by the entire film. It wasn't really fun nor was it really scary, but it sure seemed to think it was both. The entire movie was oddly vanilla and didn't really have a memorable scene or moment from start to finish, for me.

I wouldn't recommend it to many people. I'm surprised it has a RT score over 70% still, but I suppose that's due to the movie being largely inoffensive and trying really hard to cater to as wide an audience as possible. Lackluster characters, a plot that really doesn't exist or manage to do a whole lot, and a single goal by the protagonists that manages to be both convoluted and simplistically stupid at the same time. Repetitive, boring, and lacking any real pulse or pace.

I dunno. It's a dud for me. A "C" at best.

Are the people saying the film was too dark seeing this in 3D? Despite the obvious stuff where things are purposefully concealed in smoke, in 2D it wasn't difficult to tell what was happening during the night scenes

The 3D wasn't worth it only certain scene's seemed to pop out. Pacific Rim had much better 3D.

. Lackluster characters, a plot that really doesn't exist or manage to do a whole lot, and a single goal by the protagonists that manages to be both convoluted and simplistically stupid at the same time. Repetitive, boring, and lacking any real pulse or pace.

I dunno. It's a dud for me. A "C" at best.
are you sure you didn't accidentally see ASM2?

Saw it in IMAX 3D and the image was still plenty bright - everything was visible. I have heard that many theatres don't calibrate their projectors properly, so it's possible this varies from location to location.

MUTO explanation -
Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism
, I missed that when I watched the movie and was kind of taken back when Ken just said it.

Yeah, I knew what it stood for, but it's more that just saying the acronym out loud never didn't sound goofy coming out of any of the characters. Is a reboot of Biolante going to be a called a Biological Organism Originating Beneath the Sea (B.O.O.B.S.)?

I know "Godzilla" isn't the easiest thing to make sound serious either, but for some reason MUTO always sounded funny whenever someone said it.

Ceebs

In the 2D version, I thought some of the scenes with the train were way too dark. I can only imagine how it looks in 3D.

I just got back from it and thought it was disappointing.

I'd love an explanation as to where these monsters come from, because they're obviously massive and I can't really see Godzilla chilling out in a cave deep underground.

Porcile

Saw it in IMAX 3D and the image was still plenty bright - everything was visible. I have heard that many theatres don't calibrate their projectors properly, so it's possible this varies from location to location.

I saw it in 2D and maybe it was my theatre, but I thought the film was way too dark and washed out (not intentionally so either). Might just of been a bad projection, but it looked like someone smeared a brown or grey wash over everything. Hard to tell the cause of it.

I'd love an explanation as to where these monsters come from, because they're obviously massive and I can't really see Godzilla chilling out in a cave deep underground.

Didn't they say they were
prehistoric and lived off the natural radiation in the atmosphere, and as Earth normalized, they went dormant?

I want that illustration they briefly showed of Godzilla's bone structure/anatomy.

jackal27

Banned
Godzilla 1985 is the movie before Biollante.

My only complaint with Vs Biollante is just that the final fight is way too short.

I just watched Godzilla vs Space Godzilla today while I'm still rolling offif this nostalgia bomb and man... Was the Heisei G always THIS slow and lumbering? It's like his fights are slower than the older movies.

Didn't they say they were
prehistoric and lived off the natural radiation in the atmosphere, and as Earth normalized, they went dormant?

I want that illustration they briefly showed of Godzilla's bone structure/anatomy.
They said they went underground to get closer to the radioactive core of the Earth.

They did give away a LOT, but the arguably best moments, the whole MUTO/G fight hasn't been shown at all from what I've seen. Hell MUTOs have been pretty hidden too and they are in much more of the movie than Godzilla.

Shit, I'm having real trouble placing it, but I think it was in the
Chinatown showdown after Brody blows up the eggs I believe, there's a shot of some rubble and it pans to a destroyed Chinese dragon statue's head that I swear looked like old school King Ghidorah.

I caught that in my showing yesterday.

Daingurse

I just watched Godzilla vs Space Godzilla today while I'm still rolling offif this nostalgia bomb and man... Was the Heisei G always THIS slow and lumbering? It's like his fights are slower than the older movies.

Hesei Godzilla has always been lumbering and powerful. The man issue is Space Godzilla is a terrible movie. Simply dull and boring, Space Godzilla is still awesome lookimg though.

They had a lengthy exposition scene where they explained that in the movie.
The two MUTOs were parasites found in the fossils of a dead Godzilla-like monster (the one found in the mine in the 90's) one had hatched and went towards Walter White's nuclear reactor and the other one was dumped at the nuclear landfill in Nevada. They both fed off of those radiation sources until they grew and hatched. Godzilla was a dormant creature from millions of years ago when the earth was way more radioactive, and was forced deeper into the Earth to get radiation from the core. Not 100% sure what caused Godzilla to surface, but ifI had to guess I'd say it was the original bomb drop in Japan (attracted him to the Radiation or something).

Porcile

The characters were really uninteresting. The only maverick and one character of any interest was Cranston and
he's gone early.
Otherwise you're left with: Dr Exposition, Dr Exposition Number 2, Generic Dude with family and dour Army guy in charge. Really shitty.

Sean

Banned
Disappointed.

People shit all over the Michael Bay Transformers movies for wasting too much screen time on shitty human characters and useless military scenes, but this movie might've been even worse in that area.

They had a lengthy exposition scene where they explained that in the movie.
The two MUTOs were parasites found in the fossils of a dead Godzilla-like monster (the one found in the mine in the 90's) one had hatched and went towards Walter White's nuclear reactor and the other one was dumped at the nuclear landfill in Nevada. They both fed off of those radiation sources until they grew and hatched. Godzilla was a dormant creature from millions of years ago when the earth was way more radioactive, and was forced deeper into the Earth to get radiation from the core. Not 100% sure what caused Godzilla to surface, but ifI had to guess I'd say it was the original bomb drop in Japan (attracted him to the Radiation or something).

I'm aware of the explanation in the movie but
it also stated that Godzilla was "listening" to the MUTOs talking to each other, so he wasn't dormant

The whole thing is really flimsy. They should have just settled for the hollow earth theory. I'd have accepted that.

Blablurn

Saw it for the second time now. Still loving it.
But I wouldn't mind if we had seen the fight at the airport in hawaii

Saw it with two casuals. She never watched any Godzilla movie. Him only the 54 one and the emmerich flick. both liked it which surprised me a lot.

time to show it my gf next.

Disappointed.

People shit all over the Michael Bay Transformers movies for wasting too much screen time on shitty human characters and useless military scenes, but this movie might've been even worse in that area.
people shit on bayformers for being brain dead, pandering schlock

the first
atomic breath
moment especially the setup with the
christmas lights spike light up.
is about the only time i've gasped in public in the last decade.

that one scene redeemed all the issues i've had with the flick tbh.

I'm aware of the explanation in the movie but
it also stated that Godzilla was "listening" to the MUTOs talking to each other, so he wasn't dormant

The whole thing is really flimsy. They should have just settled for the hollow earth theory. I'd have accepted that.

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about the logic involved in getting Godzilla back to the surface.

Top Bottom