• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

RedStep

Finally watching this tomorrow with the fam!

Is the 3D worth it for someone who generally dislikes it, but liked it in Gravity?

Saw it in "real" 3D IMAX today. 3D was fine, there were some cool shots
HALO jump, the fight at the end
but many of the "money shots" are from further away so the 3D doesn't jump out as much. It was quite a way below Pacific Rim on the "3D-ness" scale, but not a total waste like some others recently.

There are a few head scratcher moments in this movie.

The MUTOs are supposed to be parasites but they don't really behave like parasites. Sure the female encases the missle with eggs and it can be assumed that they leaching off the radioactivity. But how would that have worked when there were no missiles? The opening showed the pods inside a dead kaiju (which is how I assume they'd normally leach radiation) but the MUTOs seemed to lack any means of getting eggs into another kaiju. They seemed to reproduce more like frogs than any parasite I can think of.

The male MUDO took 15 years of feeding on the destroyed power plant to grow to maturity. How did the female grow to 2 to 3 times the size of the male? Its pod was dissected and stored in a mountain for 15 years.

How can a creature the size of Godzilla ever appear to be dead to humans? The shear amount of air he moves by breathing, or his heartbeat should be a giveaway.

On one hand I wish they showed more of the monster battles, on the other wow they had some real weight to them and were shot really, really well. Gareth Edwards just knows monster movies, though I'm not sure right now if I like Monsters or Godzilla more as both are the best monster movies that have come out in a while.

Blu ray needs to hurry up.

vareon

The MUTOs are supposed to be parasites but they don't really behave like parasites. Sure the female encases the missle with eggs and it can be assumed that they leaching off the radioactivity. But how would that have worked when there were no missiles? The opening showed the pods inside a dead kaiju but the mutos seemed to lack any means of getting eggs into another kaiju. They seemed to reproduce more like frogs than any parasite I can think of.

The male MUDO took 15 years of feeding on the destroyed power plant to grow to maturity. How did the female grow to 2 to 3 times the size of the male? Its pod was dissected and stored in a mountain for 15 years.

How can a creature the size of Godzilla ever appear to be dead to humans? The shear amount of air he moves by breathing, or his heartbeat should be a giveaway.

Second paragraph :
It feeds on the dead "godzilla" body found in the first scene, then remained dormant. Some real-life species differ greatly in size between sexes anyway, so it might not need the same amount of food to reach that size.

The MUTOs are supposed to be parasites but they don't really behave like parasites. Sure the female encases the missle with eggs and it can be assumed that they leaching off the radioactivity. But how would that have worked when there were no missiles? The opening showed the pods inside a dead kaiju (which is how I assume they'd normally leach radiation) but the MUTOs seemed to lack any means of getting eggs into another kaiju. They seemed to reproduce more like frogs than any parasite I can think of.

The observation of the MUTO could very well be misinformed. As for the size difference, it's not uncommon for females to larger than male counterparts in difference species. I would say that she got larger by having access to all dat goo (radioactive waste) but there was no evidence she ate any of it.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
The music in this film is just perfect too. The score at that moment only makes the scene's impact greater.

Ugh, the music in this movie is certainly not perfect and at times it's actually not even in scenes where it should be(as in no music at all). The soundtrack should have been a lot better.

Your questions are answered in the movie.
The MUTOs are supposed to be parasites but they don't really behave like parasites. Sure the female encases the missle with eggs and it can be assumed that they leaching off the radioactivity. But how would that have worked when there were no missiles? The opening showed the pods inside a dead kaiju but the mutos seemed to lack any means of getting eggs into another kaiju. They seemed to reproduce more like frogs than any parasite I can think of.
How do parasites behave? Especially massive, prehistoric ones? If there was no radiation, they wouldn't have been able to reproduce. They likely used prehistoric animals as incubators given how much radiation those types of creatures absorbed. Also, those claws can cut pretty deep.
The male MUTO took 15 years of feeding on the destroyed power plant to grow to maturity. How did the female grow to 2 to 3 times the size of the male? Its pod was dissected and stored in a mountain for 15 years.
She was put where all the nuclear waste was in Nevada.
I don't think he was breathing.

Blader

Solid movie, but I hated the ending -- specifically the
"King of the Monsters -- Our City's Savior" headline.
Not only was it crazy cheesy but it's the exact opposite of what I wanted out of this movie. I'm also going to call bullshit on Edwards for this, who said repeatedly that
he wasn't going down that direction and wanted to channel the tone of the '54 movie instead

If there was anything truly disingenuous about the marketing, that was it.

On my first viewing, I saw Godzilla in IMAX and it was outstanding. Especially from a sound perspective. The imax theater had an incredible sound system and anytime the monsters moved, you felt it. Anytime Godzilla roared, the bass caused the seats to rumble. It was one hell of an experience.

I just went two more times today, but to normal 2D showings to my theaters without any sound systems. Like my sound system in my room puts these too shame and a lot of the enjoyment of the movie was lost without that power.

Your questions are answered in the movie.

How do parasites behave? Especially massive, prehistoric ones? If there was no radiation, they wouldn't have been able to reproduce. They likely used prehistoric animals as incubators given how much radiation those types of creatures absorbed. Also, those claws can cut pretty deep.

She was put where all the nuclear waste was in Nevada.

I don't think he was breathing.
How are those answers from the movie? I acknowledged that leaching radiation from ancient kaiju was likely how they grew. They still lack a means of injecting eggs into a kaiju though. The female carried eggs externally. The thought of them slashing another kaiju then smashing to eggs into the wound doesn't even make sense when they have hooks for hands.

As another poster indicated, the female wasn't shown to have touched any of the other radioactive waste.

Also I have no issue with the female being bigger than the male (I did reference their similarity to frogs after all) its that it should have taken a massive amount of energy fore it to grow to that size. Also how do you not notice a 300ft kaiju growing out of nothing in your super secure nuclear storage mountain? The male made earthquakes and was causin havoc with electrical systems.

How the heck does Godzilla stop breathing and his heart beat?

El Odio

Banned
Seems a lot of people here keep missing the (Near end line spoiler)
Question mark at the end of the "Savior of our city>>?<<"

Solid movie, but I hated the ending -- specifically the
"King of the Monsters -- Our City's Savior" headline.
Not only was it crazy cheesy but it's the exact opposite of what I wanted out of this movie. I'm also going to call bullshit on Edwards for this, who said repeatedly that
he wasn't going down that direction and wanted to channel the tone of the '54 movie instead

If there was anything truly disingenuous about the marketing, that was it.

I actually love that he pulled a bait and switch like this.
I am so tired of all of the doom and gloom that so many movies and TV shows have been stuck on in the past few years. Having Godzilla as a savior again is refreshing and very much welcomed to me.

btrboyev

I've never been more disappointed from a movie in my life. The entire movie was a complete 180 from every trailer or piece of media shown.

wwm0nkey

Anyone else love how
the city felt like a hunting ground after a few hours of the MUTOs and Godzilla being there? Helped show how much damage these monsters could do and how fast they could do it.

Also really want to see some scenes of Godzilla hunting the MUTOs down after their escapes in the city that seemed to happen a few times.

watershed

Banned
I know male is the default option of everything in the west, but seriously why are you bothering? There is no hint that she is male. And the spoilertagged part isn't about the gender, it is about the point I made in my earlier post:

On Godzillas "character":

She is the wreath of nature, the punishment we deserve. But in same time saves us and immediatly pulls of when she defeats the MUTOs. The point they tried to make was a little bit spotty.

Wrath of nature, punishment we deserve...

I have no commitment to Godzilla being male or female one way or the other. I'm just trying to see your point. As I see it, no one including the Japanese filmmakers have ever referred to Godzilla as a female. But you are insisting on "She" despite the quotes you provide clearly referring to Godzilla as "He". So, it's just a bit of odd evidence to try and make a point with. If there is some significance to Godzilla's gender I'd be interested in seeing it. But to be clear, right now you haven't done anything to prove that Godzilla is female.

I was entertained, but ultimately pretty disappointed with the movie.

1) One "tease" was enough, no need to have three. I groaned audibly when they pulled back for a third time when the subway doors closed. That scene alone docked the film a tier for me.

2) Too \Hollywood-ized. Generic male solider meathead wasn't what I wanted to see as the front and center of the film. Cranston's character had depth. The raw desperation of uncovering the truth and his vast knowledge on the subject made him an interesting character. Then they write him out of the movie and we're stuck with Action Hero #2,038,156 doing Action Hero things and oh yeah he wants to reunite with his family. Action Hero's Wife #1,084,912 was useless.

3) In the same too-Hollywood-ized vein, the movie couldn't have failed harder at making Godzilla the terrifying force of nature he should've been. By the end of the movie they were blatantly trumpeting him as a hero, he quietly gets up and rides off into the sunset, so to speak. Nice music, cue credits. Ugh. What happened to all the trailers showing humanity on its last legs cowering in fear of the unstoppable force of nature?

The fighting was great, what very little of it there was. Effects were fantastic, and it's definitely something to see in a theater with a good sound setup. But with how throwaway the "human element" was in this film it easily could've been half as long to achieve the same thrill of monster movies. Way too much meaningless sludge to get through to the good stuff in this film.

That movie was awesome. Dat roar goodness.
I kinda felt bad for the MUTOs. All they want was to have their babies and Godzilla was like nope!

I need more. I want another movie.

fierro

Banned
Just saw the movie and would like an updated title change to borezilla.

The movie was focused on the wrong character, kinda fuming still and don't want to get into to much detail as I am on my phone. If you want to watch a monster movie, watch Pacific Rim.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
As a Godzilla casual, I felt like the movie could have been better.
Way too many times at the beginning, they would just cut away from the action, and then there's a sudden time lapse that happens, where we are supposed to infer that something happened and they are traversing somewhere else. and rip Bryan.

Also, god damn does Aaron Johnson look so different (dat frame and hairstyle). Did not even know he was in this movie but the voice and face gave it away, and so for the whole movie I was just infatuated with how different he looks lol.

Overall, it felt like Pacific Rim was a better Godzilla movie than Godzilla.

Shouta

the fact that people are complaining this movie didnt have enough action is a testament to how bloated hollywood action movies have gradually become

Agreed. Can't type much as I'm on my phone but this had just the right amount of action. Even the Japanese Godzilla films started having too much action and it felt long in the tooth towards the end of a film.

Despera

Banned
Holy shit I've never seen so many coincidences/chance encounters/deus ex's in one film. The writers handled the human part of the story terribly.

That said, when the movie shifts focus away from humans to the environments and monsters it's pretty great. The sound effects were excellent as well.. when the
Muto shutdown the whole city with one of his EMP attacks and the theatre went completely silent
. So good.

Overall, the movie was no where near as good as I expected based on the trailers, but I enjoyed the good parts in it. Much better than Godzilla '98, but still not good enough. We'll get there someday.

Agreed. Can't type much as I'm on my phone but this had just the right amount of action. Even the Japanese Godzilla films started having too much action and it felt long in the tooth towards the end of a film.
I also think the movie had the right amount of action in it, but the non-action scenes made me cringe for the most part.

mosaic

go eat paint
Good movie. Not great. Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack is still my favorite Godzilla movie.

At least it'll probably act as an apology for the 1998 movie.

the fact that people are complaining this movie didnt have enough action is a testament to how bloated hollywood action movies have gradually become

It wasn't the lack of action per se, it was the length of the film coupled with the constant teases. After the second time they pull the same cut-away-sudden-timelapse the trick worn thin. I was too annoyed to enjoy the fighting when it finally did come because I had wasted all that time on teases and Generic Action Hero "narrowly" missing death 20 times.

I mean, let's not pretend this movie had no Bloated Hollywood Action Movie syndrome. The amount of "close calls" were far too numerous, by-the-book, and blandly done that it killed suspense. Oh yeah sure he'll do an airdrop smack dab in the middle of the monster fighting and survive a massive gasoline tanker explosion that throws him 10 feet into the air. He'll just walk it off and run to the coast and transport the whole nuke himself. Zero tension or excitement by that point.

I didn't miss it, it's the suggestion what they're obviously trying to frame it as that annoys me.

Why would anyone in the general public even think that? That's what bothered me most.

The military and Generic Knowledgeable Scientist are the only ones who know why Godzilla awoke and the reasons why he's fighting. The only thing the public knows is that there's a giant fucking monster beating up a pair of other giant fucking monsters. Then all three presumably die fighting each other. But one of them randomly gets up and omg he's a hero. Huh? From the perspective of the public the "headline" made no goddamn sense.

Soma

I think the lack of action isn't necessarily the main problem, it's just that a lot of the moments between the action set pieces weren't very compelling mostly due to Johnson's character being pretty flat. The more I think about it, the more I appreciate the meticulous pacing of the movie as it was an interesting directional choice but the human moments were arguably the weakest aspect of the film.

Sure nearly every Godzilla film before has had terrible human moments but the moments where Cranston was featured gave a lot of people some hope and as a result it kinda set a bar that every other actor unfortunately could not surpass.

Quick

Banned
I liked the parallels they started to make between Ford (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) and Godzilla during the final fight in San Francisco.

That part with Ford alone on the street with Godzilla just looking at him and disappearing in the smoke was awesome.

Stayed on mostly a blackout, not a huge Godzilla guy but was anticipating this. Sort of disappointed sort of not. For some reason I thought it was R and not PG-13 and was disappointed that it wasn't darker. Also I didn't like that
Cranston died 30 minutes in, imo the movie would be better if it was him and Ford and Ford's wife died or something early on. Also not a fan of the whole "hero we need" angle. I was expecting the world to get absolutely torched as the entire globe tries to figure out a way to stop it, which is why I was caught by surprise when the MUTOs showed up. I will say though the final kill was amazing, entire theater erupted. Also the movie was beautiful, that parachute scene was killer combined with the overbearing, dark soundtrack.

Phatmac

I wish Cranston was the main protagonist. The meat head military guy we got instead was just bad casting. I wish the scenes without action were better in general. I really didn't care about any of the humans except Cranston and Ken Wantabe. The action was great and the scenes in General were awe inspiring. Loved it all so much but I left disappointed. Hope they make more monster movies. I need more.

JDHarbs

Just got home from seeing it. I really don't know what to think of it. It was a good movie, and yet I still feel disappointed. I think the hype probably killed it for me. I agree with the complaints about the lack of focus on Godzilla.
The MUTOs had more screen time than he did.
. The human side of the story wasn't bad, but it felt unnecessary. His reveal was pretty great, but it took a tad too long in my opinion.

Overall, good but not great. If a few things had been handled differently then I probably would've thought it was amazing. All I really wanted was to watch Godzilla be a badass which I kinda got, but not as much as I wanted.
Dat Female MUTO execution tho!

8/10

anyone else catch the Mothra easter egg?

Arcayne

I rescind my comment earlier that Godzilla was subpar compared to Pacific Rim. I've realized that they are completely different movies/genres and shouldn't be compared. Basically, I can't really expect Godzilla to whip out a giant sword while airborne or use ships as weapons: he's a monster, not a robot. I still stand firm that there could have been more enemy variations though.

With that said, its a damn epic film in my eyes now. Definitely going back to see it again, this time with my girl.

TrueGrime

My thoughts on the ending.
Godzilla! Savior of our city! ...while he steps on, crushes and kills another hundred people while walking back into the ocean.
LOL.

Defect

Just got home from seeing it. I really don't know what to think of it. It was a good movie, and yet I still feel disappointed. I think the hype probably killed it for me. I agree with the complaints about the lack of focus on Godzilla.
The MUTOs had more screen time than he did.
. The human side of the story wasn't bad, but it felt unnecessary. His reveal was pretty great, but it took a tad too long in my opinion.

Overall, good but not great. If a few things had been handled differently then I probably would've thought it was amazing. All I really wanted was to watch Godzilla be a badass which I kinda got, but not as much as I wanted.
Dat Female MUTO execution tho!

8/10

anyone else catch the Mothra easter egg?

What Mothra easter egg?

Azulsky

The only thing that would have really allowed them to make it better is if every damn movie wasnt force fit into a PG13 Rating.

That being said I got way more out of it than I was expecting and the amount of fighting was just right.

The fighting can get a bit long in the tooth like Pac Rim did but they kept it to the point.

After watching a bunch of the classic movies leading up to this I feel they really paid homage to the old ones well.

Top Bottom