• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Fuck, the idea of dropping nukes on the MUTOs makes no sense at all since they FEED on them. Considering they straight up eat nuclear bombs for sustenance, it seems like dropping a massive nuclear bomb in the same area as them would only make them stronger.
Er, this is answered in the movie.

They hoped to lure the creatures with the nuke and kill them with the blast of the bomb itself, not with the radiation with which they feed on.

strobogo

Banned
Er, this is answered in the movie.

They hoped to lure the creatures with the nuke and kill them with the blast of the bomb itself, not with the radiation with which they feed on.

I guess you're right. Although they only thing the army really knows is that the MUTOs feed on nuclear radiation. If the blast doesn't kill them, it would only give them more radiation to feed on. And there is nothing to show that the blast would kill them. The bombs they used on Godzilla in the '50s just made him stronger. So what if the even stronger bombs made the MUTOs stronger?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I actually thought that at least one of the MUTOs might
go out by swalling the bomb and have it explode inside them. The 2 deaths were way more satisfying than that though. Dat flame breath finisher.

After letting it simmer for a day, I still find myself extremely disappointed at this. Wish I could have just enjoyed like those who did, but the flaws just created too many problems for me to just sit back and enjoy the good things about it. :/
I don't know about you, ducky, but for me I grew up on Godzilla films. I maybe watched half of all the movies made –– as many films as I could get my grubby little hands on –– and after watching all those films, even those that attempted more serious tones, I learned to eventually live with, and even enjoy, the flaws that appeared most common. "Pffft. Firing a black hole at the planet? Whatever! Hell yeah, Godzilla is gonna fight this huge flying monster."

I can definitely see why those who weren't raised on the movies wouldn't be able to see past those kinds of flaws, big and small.
I guess you're right. Although they only thing the army really knows is that the MUTOs feed on nuclear radiation. If the blast doesn't kill them, it would only give them more radiation to feed on. And there is nothing to show that the blast would kill them. The bombs they used on Godzilla in the '50s just made him stronger. So what if the even stronger bombs made the MUTOs stronger?
Spoilers!
That's all true, though after seeing the movies twice, I'm not entirely sure the bombs made Godzilla stronger, but you do have a point in that the monsters would simply feed on radiation given off by the bomb if it didn't kill them, like Godzilla did at the end of the film. But as General Stenz says in the movie, they have to try something. The military's main concern is safety and peace-keeping. Dr. Serizawa brings up all the points you make in the film, but Admiral Stenz tells him they still have to try. And I can't really find the flaw in that.

Jazzem

Sad to say I was rather let down by this, especially a shame considering how well made it is in a number of ways =/ The script feels like it was tampered with by studio execs, filled with bad clichéd dialogue and generic, uninteresting stock characters. This would be more forgiving if the tone wasn't so dour and serious, making a lot of the film a slog to sit through.

That said, the action sequences are supremely well done and often quite creative, it's just a shame they're only enjoyable on a visceral level as I felt no investment for any character aside from two:

1) Bryan Cranston's, which was solely down to his performance and not the lines he was given.
2) Godzilla, which was purely on a dumb fanboy level.

Still, I'm glad I saw it in the cinema, especially for
dat roar.

Gintamen

So you got a better idea to kill them, any ideas for a stronger force or attack? If you're have a complaint you may as well present a better alternative.

Again, why shouldn't he have been able to get a floppy reader within the six+ years he spent in Japan!? He was presented to be desperate and a bit crazy, of course he would take the chance and risk of finding floppys that may work or not to not have a chance of proving his theory at all. Some of the complaints here are completely nonsensical.

All lights turning on again after their death was weird though, not sure who had that' brilliant' idea...

Hollywood really needs to work their hairy CGI monster skills, world those really be that much more expensive? I've had enough of those skinny, boney leathery ones already.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
movie managed to hit all the points of a "Godzilla" movie without having any of the actual reasons you go to see a Godzilla movie. i really enjoyed the part where i saw a big monster fight for 10 seconds on a 24" flat screen TV, interspersed with Elizabeth Olsen looking like she'd taken four too many ambien and her slack-jawed son.

i don't think a human being made this film. it's mechanical, heartless and completely misses the point of a monster film, much less a Godzilla film.

What is the point of a Godzilla film again?

duckroll

I don't know about you, ducky, but for me I grew up on Godzilla films. I maybe watched half of all the movies made –– as many films as I could get my grubby little hands on –– and after watching all those films, even those that attempted more serious tones, I learned to eventually live with, and even enjoy, the flaws that appeared most common. "Pffft. Firing a black hole at the planet? Whatever! Hell yeah, Godzilla is gonna fight this huge flying monster."

I can definitely see why those who weren't raised on the movies wouldn't be able to see past those kinds of flaws, big and small.

That's definitely not the problem for me. I've watched probably like a dozen Godzilla films or more. Just watched Godzilla Final Wars again like two months ago (awful film). I don't think the majority of Godzilla films are good movies, but they can be pretty fun. I don't have a problem enjoying something for dumb fun even if I don't think it's a good movie either.

The core problem of this particular movie for me, is that it tries to be something, and I can see it reaching what it wants to achieve, but it doesn't get there. It actually massively misses the mark, in spite of the best intentions. Honestly, if they just played up the cheese and made it much more like those 90s Godzilla films, it would probably end up being a much more enjoyable film for me. The problem was that the tone clearly wanted to be a serious character driven take on Godzilla as a natural disaster, like the original. But it also wanted to have the fun of the monster on monster action of the later films. And in the end, I just don't think the script and the casting worked for the most part.

If it were a slow film like it is here but with really good characterization, and Godzilla as a background menace, it could have been a great film. If it were a faster film, with a script just as weak, that would have at least made it less of an issue. If it were a cheesier film, where the characters didn't try so hard to look like they were actually in a serious movie, and it had a better soundtack, I could at least not think so much about it because it's just trying to be dumb fun. But as the movie it is, I think it tries too hard to be something it doesn't succeed at, and the disappointment there takes away from my enjoyment of the movie significantly.

I hope the same people defending Godzilla's obvious flaws as being part and parcel with the franchise never criticised Skyfall. Because that's another long-running franchise made up of 90% garbage camp. Not that this film's problems even have anything to do with that.

Duck is on point.

Jaeger

After letting it simmer for a day, I still find myself extremely disappointed at this. Wish I could have just enjoyed like those who did, but the flaws just created too many problems for me to just sit back and enjoy the good things about it. :/

duck, no! :(

That's definitely not the problem for me. I've watched probably like a dozen Godzilla films or more. Just watched Godzilla Final Wars again like two months ago (awful film). I don't think the majority of Godzilla films are good movies, but they can be pretty fun. I don't have a problem enjoying something for dumb fun even if I don't think it's a good movie either.

The core problem of this particular movie for me, is that it tries to be something, and I can see it reaching what it wants to achieve, but it doesn't get there. It actually massively misses the mark, in spite of the best intentions. Honestly, if they just played up the cheese and made it much more like those 90s Godzilla films, it would probably end up being a much more enjoyable film for me. The problem was that the tone clearly wanted to be a serious character driven take on Godzilla as a natural disaster, like the original. But it also wanted to have the fun of the monster on monster action of the later films. And in the end, I just don't think the script and the casting worked for the most part.

If it were a slow film like it is here but with really good characterization, and Godzilla as a background menace, it could have been a great film. If it were a faster film, with a script just as weak, that would have at least made it less of an issue. If it were a cheesier film, where the characters didn't try so hard to look like they were actually in a serious movie, and it had a better soundtack, I could at least not think so much about it because it's just trying to be dumb fun. But as the movie it is, I think it tries too hard to be something it doesn't succeed at, and the disappointment there takes away from my enjoyment of the movie significantly.
I can see where you're coming from, but I think the film does work as a serious movie despite the blandness of the lead. As I've said, the characters are just as much perspectives for the audience of the natural disasters that happen in the movie as much as they're characters we're supposed to sympathize with.

I've said this before. You don't make a good Godzilla film by making complex characters –– though it does make it more enjoyable –– you do it by making Godzilla complex; make his conflict interested, and the human characters supplement whatever situation Godzilla is in. And I think this film does that very well.

I've seen the movie twice now, and I found the pacing does move at a very fast rate. No scene is unnecessary; everything is relevant.
I hope the same people defending Godzilla's obvious flaws as being part and parcel with the franchise never criticised Skyfall. Because that's another long-running franchise made up of 90% garbage camp. Not that this film's problems even have anything to do with that.

Duck is on point.
Didn't you say the monster fights were boring? Ha!

Sorry Duck :(

Went and saw it again last night. Packed out theater with clapping and cheering in full effect, that rarely happens outside of opening day.

I Love this movie do much, can't wait for the next one.

Still can't believe how on point Edwards was. He understood everything that makes a big G movie great.

I thought you were better than this Ducky :'(

This explains a lot actually

Lynd7

Just got back.

I felt the movie was a bit too slow, while I was expecting this, overall it started to feel a bit long. I didn't feel much tension or surprise in most of the scenes either, the scenes played out fairly plainly and almost expected. Overall it's a good movie and I do like it.

I was more entertained and interested in what happened in Pacific Rim though.

ZoddGutts

So it's better than some of the worst that has been produced in recent years. Bad trolling attempt.

Not trolling, just making a statement. At least Godzilla lived up to the hype even if it wasn't perfect, Avatar on the other hand...

Was going to mention Pacific Rim too, but that movie has gotten enough beating in this thread as it rightly deserves.

Just got home from seeing it. I really don't know what to think of it. It was a good movie, and yet I still feel disappointed. I think the hype probably killed it for me. I agree with the complaints about the lack of focus on Godzilla.
The MUTOs had more screen time than he did.
. The human side of the story wasn't bad, but it felt unnecessary. His reveal was pretty great, but it took a tad too long in my opinion.

That happens almost every single time.
The bad kaiju goes rampaging and Godzilla shows up ~15 minutes later to fight.
It is a staple of Godzilla films.

BokehKing

Banned
We really having this conversation about if he is male or female?

I'm going to use the same logic the director said in an interview (though I will be paraphrasing)

"he is the king of the monsters, not the queen "

Boom.... Drop it...

The Adder

Banned
wat

Anguirus is Godzilla's best buddy. Sure they fought in their first clash but then they become fire forged friends. And sure Anguirus technically never wins in most of its fights, but he still rocks.

He just wants Godzilla-sempai to notice his progress.

Think Anti-Venom, not Venom. The relationship is much closer to Pete and Eddie than Bruce ans Dick/Jason/Tim/Damien. Neither is dead on, of course.

Or they could be born externally then burrow into prehistoric beasts. Either way, it doesn't really matter. And those claws look obviously very sharp – they were able to cut cable!

Dude, it's obvious that the female grew on the nuclear waste just like the Male MUTO. Just because you don't see doesn't mean you can't extrapolate. Also, the male MUTO didn't grow, he hatched. Same for the girl I would guess.

As for the heart thing...it's not even clear in this if Godzilla does have a heart. And if he doesn't...it's Godzilla.

I think you're trying to find problems that aren't there.

The city was pretty much evacuated. He probably didn't step on anyone.

Because he left and didn't cause any more harm. Even if you're talking about the period before he goes into the sea and when he wakes up...that doesn't make much sense, yeah. I dunno, I wasn't bothered by it. As a Godzilla fan, it was a nice, cheesy homage.

Godzilla displayed no outward hostility towards humanity. It makes sense they'd sail alongside him. But I can definitely see your point. I didn't find it too bothersome as a huge Godzilla fan. It's another cool, cheesy moment. They're buddies!

As for everyone else, they all acted rationally, especially one the second viewing. The kids acted like kids, the wife had a job to do, and the civilians were appropriately terrified. A lot of people died.

There was foreshadowing once.
When Ford goes to blow the eggs. There's the head of a dragon...

I'm not going to go through this entire list, because I really don't have the time, but some of this stuff is answered in the movie.

In Japan at least, it wasn't the US Navy, it was NATO.

The heck are you going on about?
It doesn't matter how sharp their hooks are, they're still ill-suited for putting eggs in something. If they are supposed to hatch externally then how would they go about leaching radiation from a kaiju? The female just busts a load of eggs on its back and it doesn't notice until they sap all its radiation and hatch?

The movie make a point of showing them check adjacent storage vaults and showing that the contents was undisturbed. So no, it is not clear that the female consumed the nuclear waste.

We have no in universe reason to believe that Godzilla lacks a heart nor that he doesnt need to breath when outside of the water.

You're being purposely obtuse.

Going to see this today. I'm keeping my expectations low, which is a damn shame because I had high hopes for this one. Hopefully I'll end up enjoying it, even with caveats.

Azulsky

The heck are you going on about?

It doesn't matter how sharp their hooks are, they're still ill-suited for putting eggs in something. If they are supposed to hatch externally then how would they go about leaching radiation from a kaiju? The female just busts a load of eggs on its back and it doesn't notice until they sap all its radiation and hatch?

The movie make a point of showing them check adjacent storage vaults and showing that the contents was undisturbed. So no, it is not clear that the female consumed the nuclear waste.

We have no in universe reason to believe that Godzilla lacks a heart nor that he doesnt need to breath when outside of the water.

You're being purposely obtuse.

They dont really show them consuming the waste they just feed off its radiation.
The Male MUTO kept Tokyo from being irradiated after the reactors ere breached.
The egg sac didnt actually have the war head in it they were just absorbing radiation.

They dont really show them consuming the waste they just feed off its radiation.
The Male MUTO kept Tokyo from being irradiated after the reactors ere breached.
The egg sac didnt actually have the war head in it they were just absorbing radiation.
I considered that and if they had simply shown the dudes running through the mountain with a Ginger counter showing 0 i'd have no problem. But, in the film, they showed the MUTOS directly eating missiles and radioactive stuff. The male's cacoon was directly attached to the old power plant. I'm just going by what they chose to show us on screen.

Azulsky

The whole movie I was thinking the military should have used a MOAB.

They dropped Castle Bravo on him and he didnt give a shit, a MOAB would do nothing

This is why its good that they dont have multiple fights in movies because then you end up having to escalate the fights as time goes on and when you see the final escalation by the good guy you ask, "why didnt you just use that to begin with?"

Like in Pac Rim, where was the Kaiju slicing sword the entire time?

Dilly

Banned
Ken Watanabe always cracked me up whenever he was on screen, his random blank stares or statements that led to nowhere in the command center, so good.

I didn't mind the teasing, it actually gave something to look forward to instead of 2h of destruction, acting could've been better except for Cranston though.

In general I enjoyed this a lot more than Pacific Rim.

Oh man, I couldnt help but snicker at
Bryan Cranston's character. When he died, I couldnt help but think, 'Oh boy, breaking bad fans are gonna be disheartened.'
Besides that, I disliked how they kept teasing
Godzilla ABOUT to battle. Each time he popped up, I was so pumped to watch Godzilla fight them MUTOs but no, the film decides to switch to the meh human scenes. I suppose this is ok considering it was building up to some pretty interesting Kaiju battle. DAT FLAME BREATHE ATTACK

Now about Godzilla. I guess I like him, his designs pretty cool, despite looking a bit pudgy, and the CG was pretty dang good. The part where he roars, awesome moment. I like that this Godzilla didn't give a foshizzle mah nizzle about the humans. He didnt care that they were close to him or that they repeatedly attacked him. He just does what he wanted to do
which apparently was to set the balance or something? Kinda like pokemon emerald's plot.

Oh and the soldiers in the film, during
the mother MUTO attack on the boat. Why in the hell would the soldiers on land stand huddled in a group. I know they were trying to distract and all but would you think they'd NOT stand in a spot where they all could die together.

And finally, this may be the only giant monster film where
two monsters kissed before they started their mating/breeding thing.

It was an ok film, not that bad, not that good. Hopefully, if it succeeds, a sequel will be a bit more interesting for the human side and more Godzilla
appearances instead of showing up late to his own film.

Minyobi

Saw the movie last night. I liked it a lot.
The only issue I had was my long standing issue with dimly lit scenes.
My eyes don't adjust to them well at all.

Just saw it.
The first half I thought was pretty bad, but enjoyably so. I love
how the American Navy just lands in Japan and is all like "We're taking over now!"

But that final fight, so good. Even if I did have problems with
one gasoline tanker exploding the entire nest
and found it funny that
Godzilla got knocked over by that building. Not to mention when the MUTO singled out the protagonist after the nest burning incident and went right in and just stared at him.
But that Atomic Breath.... so good.

Overall, an enjoyable film!

massoluk

Banned
Oh man, this movie is so goooooood. Shit is flawless, may be if I have to nitpick,
it's that the dude has the shittiest luck, lol. Monsters followed him everywhere.
Surprised they went with
late Showa Godzilla theme, with him being the big damn hero

Worth the Imax ticket. Dat fucking sense of scale.

I considered that and if they had simply shown the dudes running through the mountain with a Ginger counter showing 0 i'd have no problem. But, in the film, they showed the MUTOS directly eating missiles and radioactive stuff. The male's cacoon was directly attached to the old power plant. I'm just going by what they chose to show us on screen.

Ginger counter has me dying.

Azulsky

Just saw it.
The first half I thought was pretty bad, but enjoyably so. I love
how the American Navy just lands in Japan and is all like "We're taking over now!"

But that final fight, so good. Even if I did have problems with
one gasoline tanker exploding the entire nest
and found it funny that
Godzilla got knocked over by that building. Not to mention when the MUTO singled out the protagonist after the nest burning incident and went right in and just stared at him.
But that Atomic Breath.... so good.

Overall, an enjoyable film!

I thought the building falling was a throwback to him dropping buildings on himself accidentally in many of the old movies. Like getting his tail caught up in a big telephone tower only to knock it down and it falls on him.

CodonAUG

If the MUTO walked in a straight line for San Francisco, it wouldn't have gone through Las Vegas because Vegas is the opposite direction. Yucca Mountain is inbetween those two cities.

Top Bottom