• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Oersted

Are you referring to the 98 film when you talk about laying eggs or are you talking about the son of godzilla? I think 98 godzilla may well have been a female but I don't remember if that's what they say in the movie. As I said earlier, I don't think godzilla's gender is important unless there is some mythological or narrative detail I am unaware of. Godzilla could be a male or female.

This conversation started when you referred to godzilla as a female and an incorrect quote as evidence. In the above quote I think the director is joking because he is responding to a question about why the film lacks a strong female lead. Then he goes on to refer to godzilla as "he" thru the rest of the video.

If it/she/he can be both, why insisting on being male? My quote was about Godzilla being a punishment/ a wreath of nature we deserve. There is nothing incorrect about it. Some of you just mixed it up with the gender discussion, some of you started.
Referring to both and one lost movie, Volcano monsters. Meanwhile, there is still no hint that Godzilla is male, therefore it is fair to assume a female.

Shouta

When Serizawa said the monster's name was Gojira, why did they all call him Godzilla after that (even Serizawa himself lol)?

It's a reference to the original film. Also, Godzilla can be roughly approximated to Gojira in Japanese to the untrained ear and all that jazz.

My biggest complaint is the slight inconsistent with the EMP situation in the film. That's kind of minor though, I just found it funny.

strobogo

Banned
It's a reference to the original film. Also, Godzilla can be roughly approximated to Gojira in Japanese to the untrained ear and all that jazz.

My biggest complaint is the slight inconsistent with the EMP situation in the film. That's kind of minor though, I just found it funny.

Why would a creature develop a power like that when it was from a time with no electricity?

munchie64

If it/she/he can be both, why insisting on being male? My quote was about Godzilla being a punishment/ a wreath of nature we deserve. There is nothing incorrect about it. Some of you just mixed it up with the gender discussion, some of you started.
Referring to both and one lost movie, Volcano monsters. Meanwhile, there is still no hint that Godzilla is male, therefore it is fair to assume a female.
So are you ok with people assuming it's a male?

vio

I felt like watching a monster movie and i was constantly being interrupted by this other stupid movie about some people and military. And it went like that forever.

Holy crap, this film was so bad. There were so many problems I had with it. All the cool parts of the trailer were changed for the worse in the final film. The HALO jump and Godzilla roaring when the doors closed just looked absurd when it's him awkwardly fighting some monsters.

And I get that they were trying to stay faithful to the original film by having Godzilla be a good guy or whatever, but don't try to have your movie be super serious half the time by showing the human element and loss of life from these monsters, and then two seconds later make a light-humored joke. I hope the people bitching about Superman destroying Metropolis in Man of steel are complaining about this movie, too. Also, I could practically hear the fanboys creaming their pants when Godzilla used his atomic breath.

I haven't wanted to walk out of a movie this badly since Battle: Los Angles. Godzilla now joins the ranks of Tron, Cloverfield, and Watchmen: movies with bad ass trailers that were better than the final film. I don't want to rant any longer. This movie sucked.

munchie64

Yeah the whole EMP business was definitely a fridge thing for me. A lot of the internal logic doesn't add up.

Shouta

Why would a creature develop a power like that when it was from a time with no electricity?

That's not my issue with it. That was fine. It's the other stuff throughout the movie.

Holy crap, this film was so bad. There were so many problems I had with it. All the cool parts of the trailer were changed for the worse in the final film. The HALO jump and Godzilla roaring when the doors closed just looked absurd when it's him awkwardly fighting some monsters.

And I get that they were trying to stay faithful to the original film by having Godzilla be a good guy or whatever, but don't try to have your movie be super serious half the time by showing the human element and loss of life from these monsters, and then two seconds later make a light-humored joke. Also, I could practically hear the fanboys creaming their pants when Godzilla used his atomic breath.

I haven't wanted to walk out of a movie this badly since Battle: Los Angles. Godzilla now joins the ranks of Tron, Cloverfield, and Watchmen: movies with bad ass trailers that were better than the final film. I don't want to rant any longer. This movie sucked.

He's not a good guy in the original, fyi. Neutral force, possibly bad guy in the films this was modeled after.

strobogo

Banned
I don't think evolution works that way. You can't just develop an ability because you have a need for it. Perhaps their EMP thing happens to be a side effect of their physiology.

That's not my issue with it. That was fine. It's the other stuff throughout the movie.

He's not a good guy in the original, fyi. Neutral force, possibly bad guy in the films this was modeled after.

I don't really have an issue with it, it just seemed like a weird thing for an ancient creature to have. It's kind of hard to explain why a millennia year old monster would have such capabilities, but it is also kind of hard to explain Godzilla. And even more hard to explain basically every power in the Toho movies. Maybe there is something special that allows all these creatures to harness and shoot lightning.

watershed

Banned
Feel free to assume godzilla is a female but for purposes of argument please also remember that the overwhelming majority of evidence shows godzilla being referred to as it or he.

Cafeman

1st watch on Friday night - was disappointed because the middle is so dull, too much military and people talking. Beginning and end were quite good. Loved the actual Godzilla footage, when it was being shown.

2nd watch Saturday afternoon - bigger theater/screen and better audience which reacted to the mildly funny scenes and had "oh yeah's" for the awesome things Godzilla did. I left the 2nd viewing liking the film more. I think the film will hold up over time, it's a well produced and written film, for Godzilla at least. Cranston was so awesome, I wish he was in it more. His son, kind of a dull actor.

actually, the Ford Brody and Sarizawa characters had remarkably suppressed personalities. Not saying they were bad but not a lot of emoting or life in them. Especially compared to crazy ole papa Brody.

7.5/10

I was so worried about how they handled Godzilla the first time, I missed a lot of little things.

I enjoyed this more on second viewing. Take that as you will. I had a better understanding of what Edwards was going for aftet seeing it twice. I don't think he totally succeeded, but I get the destination he was aiming for.
I left the 2nd viewing liking the film more.
*bro fist*

Shouta

I don't really have an issue with it, it just seemed like a weird thing for an ancient creature to have. It's kind of hard to explain why a millennia year old monster would have such capabilities, but it is also kind of hard to explain Godzilla. And even more hard to explain basically every power in the Toho movies. Maybe there is something special that allows all these creatures to harness and shoot lightning.

How do you get a creatue of that size period would be a mystery to me, lol. The EMP stuff is mostly minor inconsistencies about what they could do in the film. A few times it breaks the internal logic/stuff shown. That's about my only complaint but it's honestly still really minor and many movies get away with way worse stuff.

1st watch on Friday night - was disappointed because the middle is so dull, too much military and people talking. Beginning and end were quite good. Loved the actual Godzilla footage, when it was being shown.

2nd watch Saturday afternoon - bigger theater/screen and better audience which reacted to the mildly funny scenes and had "oh yeah's" for the awesome things Godzilla did. I left the 2nd viewing liking the film more. I think the film will hold up over time, it's a well produced and written film, for Godzilla at least. Cranston was so awesome, I wish he was in it more. His son, kind of a dull actor.

actually, the Ford Brody and Sarizawa characters had remarkably suppressed personalities. Not saying they were bad but not a lot of emoting or life in them. Especially compared to crazy ole papa Brody.

7.5/10

Serizawa and Ford were definitely meant to be that, I think. Early in the film, I thought Ford was a lot more emotional, especially when faced with his Dad but he kind of resolved as it all started to go nuts and he realized he was wrong all these years. Serizawa wasn't there much other than to point it all out. He's a different character than the one he's paying homage too and seems to represent something else so it's kind of hard to get a gauge of what he's really supposed to be doing. I have a few ideas but that I need to stew on.

AHA-Lambda

Seen it yesterday, very disappointed. I could rant for ages if I wanted to but ultimately it's biggest problem is pacing, and that after the first 45 mins it's just an utter slog.

It also says alot that people were laughing at a number of moments during the film as well =/

watershed

Banned
People at theater definitely laughed at the part where
ken watanabe dramatically says gojira when they explain it to Heisenberg's son.

Seen it yesterday, very disappointed. I could rant for ages if I wanted to but ultimately it's biggest problem is pacing, and that after the first 45 mins it's just an utter slog.

It also says alot that people were laughing at a number of moments during the film as well =/
It really depends on the audience you saw it with. At my showing people cheered and laughed and clapped at all the moments the film intended them too. But I wouldn't rely on an audiences reaction to validate or invalidate my opinion of a film.

AHA-Lambda

^ That's why I wouldn't like to watch a movie with American audiences. Sounds annoying.

It wasn't an American audience :p

It really depends on the audience you saw it with. At my showing people cheered and laughed and clapped at all the moments the film intended them too. But I wouldn't rely on an audiences reaction to validate or invalidate my opinion of a film.

yes, that is true I guess, my opinion still stands nevertheless :p

I think the point where
Ford and Joe go into the forbidden zone, the audience is supposed to shift Joe's motivations to understand why his wife died (Ford's mother) into Ford, the son. They don't succeed, but I think that's what's supposed to happen. The movie would have been better if Cranston stuck around for sure

I love the movie though, even with its faults.

AHA-Lambda

Here's a question
How did the audience at your theater react to the tv headline at the end? In my theater people laughed, but no one seemed to walk away from the movie with that as the main take away. And from the perspective of the general public in the movie, 2 monsters destroyed 2 cities. Then Godzilla showed up and killed both of them. The Las Vegas was destroyed by one Muto. San Fran was already being destroyed by the other Muto before Godzilla came. Once Godzilla got there he promptly killed both monsters then left. So, even though the headline was only played for laughs, it also does make sense. And let's not forget the question mark.

my audience laughed, I admit I did too.

fallagin

Fun movie. My only problem with it is that
godzilla doesnt eat them after he kills them. What kind of predator does that...

The Adder

Banned
Isn't Destroyah made of crab mutants?

Also I have an idea to put MechaGodzilla! He's fighting this really dangerous monster (Gidorah?) and can't defeat it. MONARCH develops a super armor for Godzilla to use! It's so cheesy!

Also they better introduce Godzilla's Robin (Angurius) somehow.

I am a massive fan of Robin and even still I say how dare you say that about Anguirus.

He'd be Godzilla's Eddie Brock if anything.

Oersted

So are you ok with people assuming it's a male?

Like I said earlier, the most likely scenario is that Godzilla was never a properly written creature. Anything goes. It is just funny that referring to Godzilla as female is stirring shit up.

Feel free to assume godzilla is a female but for purposes of argument please also remember that the overwhelming majority of evidence shows godzilla being referred to as it or he.

Once again, anything goes. You could have referred to Godzilla as it. You insisted on Godzilla being a male. Feel free to do so. I just say it and she are the most likely. Besides anything goes.

Still reallyy don't understand this part.

HOW DID NOBODY NOTICE THE FEMALE GROWING IN THAT PLACE? HOW DID SHE FIT?

Minor appearance of idiot plot. There is no logical reason.

Still reallyy don't understand this part.

HOW DID NOBODY NOTICE THE FEMALE GROWING IN THAT PLACE? HOW DID SHE FIT?

I like how the dude takes out binoculars to spot that ginormous monster that's directly in front of him. I especially liked how he had to pan around real quick before he spotted the monster, as if it were possible to miss.

movie managed to hit all the points of a "Godzilla" movie without having any of the actual reasons you go to see a Godzilla movie. i really enjoyed the part where i saw a big monster fight for 10 seconds on a 24" flat screen TV, interspersed with Elizabeth Olsen looking like she'd taken four too many ambien and her slack-jawed son.

i don't think a human being made this film. it's mechanical, heartless and completely misses the point of a monster film, much less a Godzilla film.

watershed

Banned
Like I said earlier, the most likely scenario is that Godzilla was never a properly written creature. Anything goes. It is just funny that referring to Godzilla as female is stirring shit up.

Once again, anything goes. You could have referred to Godzilla as it. You insisted on Godzilla being a male. Feel free to do so. I just say it and she are the most likely. Besides anything goes.
I think the idea of godzilla as a female is interesting in that Godzilla would literally be mother nature incarnate, at least from the point of view of this new film. I don't know why you feel this is "stirring up shit". This is a discussion board, as far as I can tell no one is angry here. But as far as what I insist, I do insist that all the evidence points to godzilla being either it or he and rarely if ever she.

AHA-Lambda

I like how the dude takes out binoculars to spot that ginormous monster that's directly in front of him. I especially liked how he had to pan around real quick before he spotted the monster, as if it were possible to miss.

Yeah, another moment where a lot of people started laughing when i saw it, teh film was unintentionally funny in alot of places =/

munchie64

movie managed to hit all the points of a "Godzilla" movie without having any of the actual reasons you go to see a Godzilla movie. i really enjoyed the part where i saw a big monster fight for 10 seconds on a 24" flat screen TV, interspersed with Elizabeth Olsen looking like she'd taken four too many ambien and her slack-jawed son.

i don't think a human being made this film. it's mechanical, heartless and completely misses the point of a monster film, much less a Godzilla film.
Oh come on. Gareth Edwards is a lot of things but mechanical is not one of them. I think this movie shows the passion he has for Godzilla greatly. Whether that turned into a good movie is obviously something for debate, but this is ridiculous.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I am a massive fan of Robin and even still I say how dare you say that about Anguirus.

He'd be Godzilla's Eddie Brock if anything.

wat

Anguirus is Godzilla's best buddy. Sure they fought in their first clash but then they become fire forged friends. And sure Anguirus technically never wins in most of its fights, but he still rocks.

He just wants Godzilla-sempai to notice his progress.

strobogo

Banned
Other weird things in the movie: Ford seemed to care way more about the lost Japanese kid on the train than his own son.

Why did the US Navy take over an operation on Japanese soil in 2014?

What if there were no floppy drives left in Japan?

Kick Ass was way miscast. In traditional Godzilla movie fashion, he didn't have a ton to work with, but he was SO wooden. Movie would have been a lot more enjoyable with someone who could emote.

watershed

Banned

What do you think is the point of a monster film or godzilla film? Because this movie hit all the beats a good monster or godzilla film tries to hit. Even if you think it's a bad movie, the classic monster/godzilla stuff is all there. And again even if you think it's a bad movie, it's hard to deny the reverence the director treats godzilla with.

This has to be a joke post. It's his father's watch. How would that make Serizawa in his 70s to have his dad's watch? If the Serizawa of this movie isn't the son of the Serizawa of the original, then his dad could have survived the bombing and gave it to his son later. Or he could have died and the mom or someone else could have made sure the son got it. Nothing about having that watch means he's in his 70s.

The movie didn't make it clear if his father survived. The music in that scene, the way he spoke; It alludes to his father dying in 1945 - when the watch stopped.
Therefore, the Watanabe character had to be born before 1945.

AHA-Lambda

Other weird things in the movie: Ford seemed to care way more about the lost Japanese kid on the train than his own son.

What if there were no floppy drives left in Japan?

Kick Ass was way miscast. In traditional Godzilla movie fashion, he didn't have a ton to work with, but he was SO wooden. Movie would have been a lot more enjoyable with someone who could emote.

I thought this too xD

I could just imagine someone shouting after, "damn it, has anyone got a floppy disk drive?!"

strobogo

Banned
The movie didn't make it clear if his father survived. The music in that scene, the way he spoke; It alludes to his father dying in 1945 - when the watch stopped.
Therefore, the Watanabe character had to be born before 1945.

No it didn't. It alluded to the fact that his dad was in Japan in 1945, but obviously must have lived because there was no way that Serizawa could be that old. That scene was just to show that Serizawa, through his father, had a personal connection to nuclear bombs. If you thought it was trying to imply that he was 70 years old, I don't know where else this conversation can go. I'm sure it was also supposed to somehow (even if it doesn't make much sense) tie into the EMP capabilities of the MUTOs.

Look at the character in the movie. He is Japanese, and of an age where his parents would have lived through the atomic bombings. He knows that the nuclear bomb tests of the 1950s were actually a cover up to try to kill Godzilla. He knows it didn't work and in fact made the monster stronger. He knows that the MUTOs feed on nuclear energy. It makes sense that a guy like that would be really, really against nuclear bombs being dropped under any circumstances.

Fuck, the idea of dropping nukes on the MUTOs makes no sense at all since they FEED on them. Considering they straight up eat nuclear bombs for sustenance, it seems like dropping a massive nuclear bomb in the same area as them would only make them stronger.

Gintamen

What if there were no floppy drives left in Japan?.
Is it that hard to imagine that Brody Sr kept one at home? No, it isn't.

Of course the father hasn't died during gibt the drop... just watch Barefoot Gen to see why living through it was that much more devastating to Serizawa.

How are those answers from the movie? I acknowledged that leaching radiation from ancient kaiju was likely how they grew. They still lack a means of injecting eggs into a kaiju though. The female carried eggs externally. The thought of them slashing another kaiju then smashing to eggs into the wound doesn't even make sense when they have hooks for hands.

As another poster indicated, the female wasn't shown to have touched any of the other radioactive waste.

Also I have no issue with the female being bigger than the male (I did reference their similarity to frogs after all) its that it should have taken a massive amount of energy fore it to grow to that size. Also how do you not notice a 300ft kaiju growing out of nothing in your super secure nuclear storage mountain? The male made earthquakes and was causin havoc with electrical systems.

How the heck does Godzilla stop breathing and his heart beat?
Or they could be born externally then burrow into prehistoric beasts. Either way, it doesn't really matter. And those claws look obviously very sharp – they were able to cut cable!

Dude, it's obvious that the female grew on the nuclear waste just like the Male MUTO. Just because you don't see doesn't mean you can't extrapolate. Also, the male MUTO didn't grow, he hatched. Same for the girl I would guess.

As for the heart thing...it's not even clear in this if Godzilla does have a heart. And if he doesn't...it's Godzilla.

I think you're trying to find problems that aren't there.

My thoughts on the ending.
Godzilla! Savior of our city! ...while he steps on, crushes and kills another hundred people while walking back into the ocean.
LOL.
The city was pretty much evacuated. He probably didn't step on anyone.

All the public knows is three monsters trashed the city fighting each other and killed thousands. Nobody knew about Godzilla's motives other than the military. Logically speaking it makes no sense that the one surviving monster in the brawl is randomly labeled and treated as a "hero" by the public, but the movie just went running with that for no real reason.
Because he left and didn't cause any more harm. Even if you're talking about the period before he goes into the sea and when he wakes up...that doesn't make much sense, yeah. I dunno, I wasn't bothered by it. As a Godzilla fan, it was a nice, cheesy homage.
Completely agreed with the
flotilla. They ride so close you think they're going on a cruise together. They shouldn't be "riding with him", what the fuck. They should've kept their distance and set up blockades, only for Godzilla to push past them like the doesn't give a fuck.

The wife should've been freaking the fuck out. The kids on the bus should've been screaming for their lives, not going OOOH AAAHHH at tanks getting their asses beat and the bridge collapsing behind them like it was an amusement park ride. It's like the Monster part of the movie tried really hard to sell you on the tension and fear and the Human part of the movie tried really hard to kill suspense and downplay the mood. The movie was essentially fighting itself.

Godzilla displayed no outward hostility towards humanity. It makes sense they'd sail alongside him. But I can definitely see your point. I didn't find it too bothersome as a huge Godzilla fan. It's another cool, cheesy moment. They're buddies!

As for everyone else, they all acted rationally, especially one the second viewing. The kids acted like kids, the wife had a job to do, and the civilians were appropriately terrified. A lot of people died.

4) Plot developments were directly told to the audience, there was no foreshadowing
There was foreshadowing once.
When Ford goes to blow the eggs. There's the head of a dragon...
cons:
I will not mention every tiny detail that I didn't like, that would be just way too much stuff, so things like slow deadly smoke, shining a flashlight into muto's eye in an attempt NOT to attract attention, floating tanks and kamikaze helicopters, I will skip those.

- "Yo, I need to get my 15 year old disks which have been laying on my desk for all this time, 'cause they are totally not broken!"

- "hmmm, we have caught a couple of interlopers. Where shall we take them ? Outside the zone and then to jail like last time ? Oh I know, let's take them to our secret facility. GREAT IDEA !"

- "This is Spartan 1, we are proceeding in an extremely tight formation towards the targets, holding hands to make sure we are not more than a meter away so we all get insta-gibed with a single stomp. Over."

- "Sir, we are deploying troops all over the place. Shouldn't we say the people to evacuate?" "And ruin their vacation! Hell no !" "And are you sure it is a good idea to deploy light infantry with SMGs on roofs ?" "In this movie, yes."

- "This is *instert military jet callsign here* I have taken an EMP hit. I will now proceed to fall like a rock. Over." This has probably pissed me off the most, obviously the writer has NO idea what EMP does, like at all. I especially enjoyed the fact that all the electronics suddenly worked when the mutos died, lol.

- Now, enter admiral with unlimited authority surpassing that of JCS and the president. "I am an insane admiral and I order nukes ! NUKES EVERYWHERE ! WOHOOO!!"

- "Hey Jimmy, we are looking for a radioactive biological entity that we left here a couple of years ago. Can you tell me where it is ?" "Um, I must have lost the list. Why won't you just go from one door to the next and look." "Ok." Meanwhile, muto they are looking for is rampaging Las Vegas. "Um, sir, I have found a hole...."

- Another scene with the insane admiral "I got an idea. Let's put fully assembled nuclear weapons on trains'n'stuff because that is totally safe and a proper way to transport nuclear weapons, oh yeah!" Seriously, I have never seen such disrespect for nuclear safety, EVER. "Hey, Johnny. Mind if I fiddle with a nuclear warhead while the train is moving." "Sure, go right ahead."

- another insane admiral moment "I got an idea. Let's use our great battle formation called "mob" and make it so the Gojira can't possibly avoid bumping into one of our ships so we finally have an excuse to shoot it. Oh yeah !"

- EMP bubble moment, lulz. "We can't use electronics in the bubble so you will proceed with a HALO jump." They jump down and 1st thing they do is use their flashlights and computer that says "Nukes 'dis way, lol."

And a couple of others, but these are the ones that made the writer look dumb as rock.

Overall 7/10. I enjoyed it :)
I'm not going to go through this entire list, because I really don't have the time, but some of this stuff is answered in the movie.
In Japan at least, it wasn't the US Navy, it was NATO.

strobogo

Banned
Is it that hard to imagine that Brody Sr kept one at home? No, it wasn't.

It isn't. There SHOULD be one left in his house, considering all of his work was saved on floppies from 15 years ago. It would make zero sense if there wasn't an external floppy drive in the house or an internal floppy drive in a PC in the home. But what if it didn't work anymore and no one had one laying around? Would they have to order one on Amazon.JP? And what if the floppies themselves couldn't be read anymore? It's a sarcastic question. But I haven't seen a computer in a decade or more that has a built in drive in.

I'm saddened that there will likely never be another man in a suit Godzilla movie. Even if Toho makes another movie directly, I have no doubt it would also be at least mostly CGI. I HOPE they do make another one directly. Despite all the issues I had with this movie, it was the same issues I have with most Godzilla movies, and I enjoy most Godzilla movies. I liked this movie. I liked the 1998 movie. But neither have the charm of the Toho movies, even if they were superior from a technical stand point. Godzilla and the fights in this movie were FUCKING DOPE. No doubt. I loved what we saw of the fights. I loved that Godzilla was basically a giant bear.

I don't even know what I want from a sequel. I like that the movie took itself seriously. But I also like that even serious Godzilla movies don't take themselves too seriously and tend to embrace their status as B-movies. I think what I really want is a Heisei era movie, but made for the 2010s. And I want CGI that looks like miniatures. Buildings being destroyed in the Toho movies seem SO much more satisfying than the destruction in this movie, which is the same as what you'll see in a Marvel movie, Man of Steel, White House Down, and any other movie you can think of that has buildings being destroyed. I guess what I really want is the best of both worlds, which doesn't seem possible.

I think the movie world is more far more international than at even the time of Final Wars. I'm afraid that Toho will stick with American films from now on because big American movies are always released world wide now, whereas a Japanese movie is not likely to be released in the US outside of a few art house/indie theaters. If US Godzilla movies are being made, there is little reason for Toho to make Japanese Godzilla movies in this day and age.

duckroll

After letting it simmer for a day, I still find myself extremely disappointed at this. Wish I could have just enjoyed like those who did, but the flaws just created too many problems for me to just sit back and enjoy the good things about it. :/

Top Bottom