• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
No, being human focused with Gojira appearing sometimes. Yes, even in films with other mons.

It wasn't even that. Godzilla was a background event for 90% of the movie. It had like, what, less than ten minutes of full view action? It was more like bloody Cloverfield than any Godzilla movie I've ever seen. At any point where the monsters were about to get down and dirty and the film was threatening to get interesting, it bloody well cut away.

I can't remember if it was the '92 or the '64 version, but Mothra vs Godzilla had a shite load more monster-on-monster action than that (the one where Mothra spunks over the city a lot... gotta be '92, right?). In fact, every Godzilla movie I've seen had a shite load more monster vs monster action in it than the 2014 film. Godzilla vs Gigan had some epic battles.

What is it that any sane person would want from a giant monster movie? BLOODY MONSTERS.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It wasn't even that. Godzilla was a background event for 90% of the movie. It had like, what, less than ten minutes of full view action? It was more like bloody Cloverfield than any Godzilla movie I've ever seen. At any point where the monsters were about to get down and dirty and the film was threatening to get interesting, it bloody well cut away.

I can't remember if it was the '92 or the '64 version, but Mothra vs Godzilla had a shite load more monster-on-monster action than that (the one where Mothra spunks over the city a lot... gotta be '92, right?). In fact, every Godzilla movie I've seen had a shite load more monster vs monster action in it than the 2014 film. Godzilla vs Gigan had some epic battles.

Showa era zilla I mean

Also Godzilla actually had good amount at the end.

Not a terrible movie, but Godzilla being a special guest star in a movie called Godzilla was a bit disappointing.
The constant cock teasing of monster fights was annoying too.
Heard one guy defend the lack of Zilla on it being a tribute to older movies where the focus was on the human drama created by the monsters, well that would be fine of the human drama wasn't hideously two dimensional.
The fact that Kick-Ass travelled to 3 major locations thousands of miles apart and the monsters seemed to turn up right beside him each time was dumb and insulting. I thought Peter, Gwen and Doc Connors being the 3 most important people in New York in ASM1 was lazy, but Kick-Ass being the most important guy in the entire Pacific Rim was just hilarious.

SFX amazing, Godzilla beautiful, side characters not bad and the tone was actually pitch perfect. But the meat of the story was sour.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Showa era zilla I mean

Also Godzilla actually had good amount at the end.

I don't think I'm wrong in thinking that most people want monsters in their monster movies.

At the end? It was focused on Thick Neck Taylor-Johnson's fainting fits. There was stuff was happening around his pretty blue eyes, off in the distance, through a thick wall of dust.

You have obviously never seen a single goddamned Godzilla film. Ever.

Why, because none of them are fun? Mothra vs Godzilla, Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla vs Megalon are the ones that spring to mind, all better than 2014. They used to play them on heavy rotation on late night TV. I'm not an uber-fan, but I've seen plenty, thanks.

I'm sorry if me not liking Gash-zilla 2014 offends your sensibilities. Opinions and that.

Colleagues today:
"It was terrible, not enough Monster and too much humans - nothing is happening. Pacific Rim is much better"

I did not enjoy Pacific Rim so I think I will love this :)

So fascinating because I feel like I keep getting the opposite reactions from everyone I talk to. I think Pacific Rim was amazing and was pretty much everything I wanted out of a Japanese inspired mech movie but none of my friends felt the same way. My wife thought it was dumb and at work where we have a visual FX team outside of appreciating the visuals they all thought it ultimately failed at everything it was trying to do.

However, As people around my workplace see big G I have yet to run into anyone not like it. I have heard the complaints about characters but the second we start talking about Godzilla the eyes light up and we geek out over how well he is handled.

I don't think I'm wrong in thinking that most people want monsters in their monster movies.

At the end? It was focused on Thick Neck Taylor-Johnson's fainting fits. There was stuff was happening around his pretty blue eyes, off in the distance, through a thick wall of dust.

No the pacing and amount of Godzilla is perfect. The achilles heel is he didn't have actors with enough charisma to pull off the moments where Godzilla wasn't the star.
You have a horrifying avatar

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
No the pacing and amount of Godzilla is perfect. The achilles heel is he didn't have actors with enough charisma to pull off the moments where Godzilla wasn't the star.
You have a horrifying avatar

XD

It had the actors, it just didn't have a script to support them. I'd have to disagree with the pacing/amount of Godzilla. Twas awful.

Gigan and Megalon are lazy, stock footage using schlock.

You say scholock like it's a bad thing. They're still more bloody fun than the 2014 abomination.

strobogo

Banned
A lot of Godzilla's screen time, particularly in the Heisei era it seemed, was him just walking slowly, usually in water. So while you technically might have seen more of him, he usually wasn't actually DOING anything.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of Godzilla's screen time, particularly in the Heisei era it seemed, was him just walking slowly, usually in water. So while you technically might have seen more of him, he usually wasn't actually DOING anything.

Well, he was walking. Slowly. In water. That's something. I think I'd rather watch that looped over, forever, whilst being repeatedly kicked in the nuts with boots made of angry bees.

Septimius

That's can't be correct.
When they see the fossilised remains, the lady whispers to Watanabe, "is it him?", and he says something to the degree of, "no, this one has been dead millions of years."

"No, this one's much older".

Saw the movie yesterday. Very variable, I'd say.

Too bad the only interesting character had to die, and we were left caring for this second generation of kids while the emotional attachment of the exposition was thrown out with that death. Why were they brought to the base, anyway? He was just detained last time.

How the hell did the bomb work as bait? It's not like they leak radiation.

What the fuck was up with the mating-process? I got this image of the radiation being some sort of drug for a sick love-fest they would have, but it all merely culminated in the bomb working like some sort of metaphor for a sex-toy, and the male had no further part in it than bringing this to her.

Why did they bring 8 lb guns on a defuse mission where the only enemies were something the gun could never work against? Seemed the tactical advantage of a lighter load would be way more beneficial.

"Hi, I'm a lieutenant. Let me join you?"
"No problem! I'll just take your word for it."

Boss Doggie

tbqh we're seeing the "Beam Me Up Scotty" effect here where people assume what a zilla movie is without seeing most of its roots, since this movie was more done to the older, black and white, occasionally claymation ones. Godzilla is a monster film because it has monster fights, but it has more human focus with zilla being a background character until the climax fight.

With that said the human actors are the flaw of this film which many people agree.

Though I still disagree. Godzilla has longer than 10 mins of screentime.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Again, you are all over the place.

What do you mean?

tbqh we're seeing the "Beam Me Up Scotty" effect here where people assume what a zilla movie is without seeing most of its roots, since this movie was more done to the older, black and white, occasionally claymation ones. Godzilla is a monster film because it has monster fights, but it has more human focus with zilla being a background character until the climax fight.

As I said, I've seen plenty of them (late night viewings on UK TV yeeeears ago). My predominate memories are of the ones I mentioned earlier (Gigan, Mothra etc.), which may not give me the required Godzilla hipster credentials that'd make my opinion valid here, but I think I can live with that. I just didn't think 2014 was a very good movie nor a very good Godzilla movie (from my apparently very limited experience) and people's Appeals to Tradition aren't really going to change my opinion on it.

I'd be interested to see what Godzilla's total, full body screen time actually was.

This "it was like that in the original movies" thing feels like a smokescreen to me.

This is 2014, this is not a guy in a suit in the 60's.

The movie was a big budget hollywood flick aimed at western audiences. There are expectations there. You cannot hold up the original movies as a shield when the film fails to tell a coherent story, create drama or sufficiently entertain. The film is bad in plenty of ways that don't include Godzilla's fleeting presence.

Boss Doggie

This "it was like that in the original movies" thing feels like a smokescreen to me.

The movie was a big budget hollywood flick aimed at western audiences. There are expectations there. You cannot hold up the original movies as a shield when the film fails to tell a coherent story, create drama or sufficiently entertain. The film is bad in plenty of ways that don't include Godzilla's fleeting presence.

Not a smokescreen, since we do know the humans are mostly the flaws of this film.

The comparison is made because people complain about the structure with the idea that somehow a Godzilla film is just Godzilla rampaging. The comparison is made because the movie tries to emulate the structure of the original film. It is not used as a shield from criticism.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Precisely.

Someone really has some problems with Taylor-Johnson, haha.

His neck, man. It freaked me out. XD

The comparison is made because people complain about the structure with the idea that somehow a Godzilla film is just Godzilla rampaging. The comparison is made because the movie tries to emulate the structure of the original film.

I never claimed that!

Jaeger

There are so many things wrong with this. When I wake up, I'll tear it apart. I think it's doubly ironic when people say "Pacific Rim/Cloverfield/whatever" did Godzilla better than Godzilla. Shit, Transformers did Godzilla better, too since the measurement has nothing to do with Godzilla, and more to do with fucking giant monsters.

EDIT - Boss Doggie said it perfectly, already.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
There are so many things wrong with this. When I wake up, I'll tear it apart.

Don't forget to tell me why I'm all over the place. Ta.

Eh no. Read what I said. It's not used as some sort of deflection - it is used as an explanation.

"The film is bad in plenty of ways that don't include Godzilla's fleeting presence."

That's spot on to me.

The transformers era effect in full glory.

Is it telling that I didn't like the transformers movies? It was like watching film footage of someone spinning around in a junk yard.

I can honestly say in my short time on GAF, this thread contains some of the biggest overreactions I've ever seen. I enjoyed it personally, but I can see why someone wouldn't like it. But the worst movie ever? Are you kidding me? I mean I know it's all opinions but Christ, there's no way it's THAT bad.

THIS. Worst movie ever? That does seem like a SERIOUS over reaction.

Bluth54

I just got done watching Terror of Mechagodzilla and Godzilla has maybe a 60 second cameo in the first hour. Then when you finally think you're going to get a meaty fight scene, Titanosaurus bails the fuck out.

The Godzilla/human ratio in the new movie is extremely reminiscent of the old films

Terror of MechaGodzilla was done on a tiny budget though.

Honestly if they had made 2014 a few minutes longer, and showed
Godzilla fighting the Muto in Hawaii for a few minutes, and then the Muto attacking and destroying Las Vegas for a few minutes
I think most people wouldn't complain about a lack of monster action in the film.

Sure this movie is following the way the old Godzilla movies were set up, but when the monsters were on screen part way though the film you usually saw them doing things (either a small battle with each other, getting attacked by the military or destroying a city). 2014 is such a tease with the monster action, they build up to a monster scene, show a few seconds of it and just cut away to something else.

not a shield, its a basic observation.

"Hollywood expectations" generally means lots of excess a la Man of Steel and Transformers with the constant assault on the senses. This movie feels quaint compared to that nonsense, but I'd consider that a strength rather than a fault. I'm not sure how this doesn't tell a coherent story. The plot is fairly straight forward. Entertainment is subjective and I was entertained.
Terror of MechaGodzilla was done on a tiny budget though.
duh

Boss Doggie

"The film is bad in plenty of ways that don't include Godzilla's fleeting presence."

That's spot on to me.

I personally think the presence is enough, and that the cockteasing is actually beneficial (it makes the final fight more tantalizing).

Like I said, people should complain more about the humans rather than Godzilla screentime.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I personally think the presence is enough, and that the cockteasing is actually beneficial (it makes the final fight more tantalizing).

Like I said, people should complain more about the humans rather than Godzilla screentime.

I could've coped with the humans if the final fight was less disjointed, better paced and more satisfying, or if Godzilla had more screen time (by which I don't mean that I want him "rampaging" all the way through).

Boss Doggie

Eh I thought it was awesome, like you actually have feral creatures with very little cuts to the humans. Also I love how Godzilla animates like both a feral dinosaur AND a man in a rubber suit!

And no offense, but I've also gotten quite sick of seeing American army guys stick to their routine (such as walking with their guns at the ready) while not standing a chance at all against such odds (just as in Transformers by the way). Would have liked it far better if the movie would have been set in the future and all the vehicles would have been more fantastical as well.
Best nitpicking ever.

This is also not correct. If this was like I said Transformers than by all means bring on ridiculous set piece after set piece after set piece with nothing to ground it.

Movie like Jaws or Jurrassic Park show very little of the title monster. Are you aware the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park only account for 14 min of actual screen time and the Trex only 3 min?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This is also not correct. If this was like I said Transformers than by all means bring on ridiculous set piece after set piece after set piece with nothing to ground it.

Movie like Jaws or Jurrassic Park show very little of the title monster. Are you aware the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park only account for 14 min of actual screen time and the Trex only 3 min?

I wasn't looking for Godzilla constantly rampaging through the film. I just wasn't happy with being teased without a decent payoff, things happening predominantly in the background and behind walls of dust, and being left wholly unsatisfied with the disjointed climatic battle. The film has a myriad of other issues, but those are the monster related ones.

So dinosaurs account for 14 mins of JP? That says two things to me:

1) The human element was clearly well-handled.

2) The dinosaurs were carefully paced for maximum effect by someone who knows how to make films.

Taking point 2) into account, I'm now certain that Godzilla 2014 suffers from serious pacing issues, especially if I've come away from the cinema thinking he didn't get a lot of screen time when he had a comparable amount to the dinosaurs in JP.

That was an absolutely fucking terrible movie that felt like a half-assed midterm from a beginner's community college screenwriting class, but with a completely wasted Hollywood budget.

Something Awful does a good job articulating the many missed opportunities and amateur filmmaking in their review.

http://www.somethingawful.com/current-movie-reviews/godzilla-locke/
"the frequent hints of him being a reincarnated Cranston"

Uh, what? That supposed to be a joke or did he really think that?

I wasn't looking for Godzilla constantly rampaging through the film. I just wasn't happy with being teased without a decent payoff, things happening predominantly in the background and behind walls of dust, and being left wholly unsatisfied with the disjointed climatic battle. The film has a myriad of other issues, but those are the monster related ones.

So dinosaurs account for 14 mins of JP? That says two things to me:

1) The human element was clearly well-handled.

2) The dinosaurs were carefully paced for maximum effect by someone who knows how to make films.

Taking point 2) into account, I'm now certain that Godzilla 2014 suffers from serious pacing issues, especially if I've come away from the cinema thinking he didn't get a lot of screen time when he had a comparable amount to the dinosaurs in JP.

Yeah that is what I am trying to explain to you. The human element in JP and Jaws is so strong it pairs perfectly to the reveals of the monsters. Godzilla doesn't do that a fraction as well however, the moments with Godzilla are some of the best framing from a cinematography POV and set pieces I have ever seen and I think Edwards does a incredible job with that.

Am I the only one that liked both Godzilla and Pacific Rim? I liked different aspects of both, neither are perfect though

No I'm blessed with the ability to love movies based on their specific merits. I don't expect everything to be a carbon copy of some template. As a huge fan of Japanese Mecha I adored Pacific Rim because it was everything I want from a American version.

I love Godzilla as a huge fan of the Japanese equivalent and believe Edwards completely nailed a American version

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that is what I am trying to explain to you. The human element in JP and Jaws is so strong it pairs perfectly to the reveals of the monsters. Godzilla doesn't do that a fraction as well however, the moments with Godzilla are some of the best framing from a cinematography POV and set pieces I have ever seen and I think Edwards does a incredible job with that.

It just highlights how poor the pacing of the monster reveal and the actual monster battles are in comparison. I also found them underwhelming both visually and in terms of content.

A lot of people say the build-up to Godzilla was good in this movie, but while his reveal scene was great, the actual build-up wasn't that great in my opinion.

Jaws, Jurassic Park, and--most importantly--the original Godzilla all handled the build-up much better. In addition to not showing their main monsters for a while, they built up a sense of mystery, and dread around them.

Jaws you don't see it for a while at all, but you do see it's effects, and you see from it's perspective. For all you know it might not even be a shark in the the first scene. Then try carefully escalate the attacks, reveals, and information about it throughout the film.

Jurassic Park: the empty T-Rex paddock at first (Spielberg new the audience wants to see the T-Rex as badly as the characters in the movie, so he makes both wait). And then finally you have the masterful scene in the rain with the goat and the fence.

Godzilla 54: Similar to Jaws: start with mysterious attacks, then you hear the terrifying footsteps, then a brief and scary reveal, and then some exposition on what he is, and then they let him rampage.

Godzilla 2014
: They just don't show him for a really long time, but make sure to have a giant ass exposition scene on him first taking away any mystery (it doesn't matter that the audience knows what Godzilla is. We knew what a T-Rex was too). And then when we first see him I believe it's pretty calm and it's just boats following his back spines in the water.

In summation: Simply not showing is not the same thing as building anticipation, dread, or mystery.

It just highlights how poor the pacing of the monster reveal and the actual monster battles are in comparison. I also found them underwhelming both visually and in terms of content.

And that's where we fundamentally disagree. I believe the scale and presence he was able to accomplish with Godzilla was masterful:
- water receding in Hawaii which leads too..
- Plane explosions panning to his foot crashing down(Amazing sense of size and perspective) leading to first fully body shot of Godzilla. Awesome
- San Fransisco Bay swim where he stops before Ships and rises pulling and tossing them to the side effortlessly.
- Halo jump as we witness him destroying Mutos
- Silent Tail whip to Sustained Roar - chills
- Being Ganged up by Mutos left for dead only to see his tail light up electric blue on the rubble and swarm up his back
- Tail whip Instant Fatality
- Nuclear breath to Fatality

And I'm sorry both Ford and him falling down.
Loved that.

Those are some of the best moments I have seen in any blockbuster in the last 10 years.

A lot of people say the build-up to Godzilla was good in this movie, but while his reveal scene was great, the actual build-up wasn't that great in my opinion.

Jaws, Jurassic Park, and--most importantly--the original Godzilla all handled the build-up much better. In addition to not showing their main monsters for a while, they built up a sense of mystery, and dread around them.

Jaws you don't see it for a while at all, but you do see it's effects, and you see from it's perspective. For all you know it might not even be a shark in the the first scene. Then try carefully escalate the attacks, reveals, and information about it throughout the film.

Jurassic Park: the empty T-Rex paddock at first (Spielberg new the audience wants to see the T-Rex as badly as the characters in the movie, so he makes both wait). And then finally you have the masterful scene in the rain with the goat and the fence.

Godzilla 54: Similar to Jaws: start with mysterious attacks, then you hear the terrifying footsteps, then a brief and scary reveal, and then some exposition on what he is, and then they let him rampage.

Godzilla 2014
: They just don't show him for a really long time, but make sure to have a giant ass exposition scene on him first taking away any mystery (it doesn't matter that the audience knows what Godzilla is. We knew what a T-Rex was too). And then when we first see him I believe it's pretty calm and it's just boats following his back spines in the water.

In summation: Simply not showing is not the same thing as building anticipation, dread, or mystery.

Completely agree

zma1013

I thought it was weird how they completely changed the context of the
scenes in the movie vs. what was in the trailer. The halo jump where they descend into the city where you can barely make out if it's Godzilla or not was changed to the 2 monsters fighting each other, it was just odd after seeing how it was in the trailer. And where was the scene of Godzilla rising out of the debris and roaring like what was show in the original teaser? Did I miss it? That shot was badass but not in the movie?

I thought it was weird how they completely changed the context of the
scenes in the movie vs. what was in the trailer. The halo jump where they descend into the city where you can barely make out if it's Godzilla or not was changed to the 2 monsters fighting each other, it was just odd after seeing how it was in the trailer. And where was the scene of Godzilla rising out of the debris and roaring like what was show in the original teaser? Did I miss it? That shot was badass but not in the movie?

None. Edwards said he wanted nothing spoiled I love that he did that.

Subitai

After this thread, MoS threads, and Avengers threads, I have learned that you can no longer make a movie everyone will appreciate as being "good" let alone really like. =/

Top Bottom