• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Shouta

After this thread, MoS threads, and Avengers threads, I have learned that you can no longer make a movie everyone will appreciate as being "good" let alone really like. =/

The issue is always viewers with expectations vs viewers that accept and process as it is. That's why I think reviewers and average people will have split opinions on a lot of things unless it's like the most orthodox movie ever. Reviewers, good ones anyway, tend to take it as it is where most people go to see a movie with certain objectives like to enjoy a summer blockbuster or see X or whatever. Sometimes a movie can be different based on what you're looking for. I think Godzilla is probably one of those films where there's a divide between these groups.

Nope. In both movies even with their flaws, I felt they both accomplished what was intended. Bring on the sequels!

Yep that;s what I think too. They went for different things and achieved them

No such thing exists. You can't ever have Godzilla roar too much. Especially the awesome roar in this movie. I especially like that the longing the roar goes, the more is sounds like a jet engine power up. It's great.

Don't get me wrong, I adore his roar (rhymes) and love listening to it but in the context and pacing of the movie it felt too much. Godzilla seemed to stand there and roar at things more than ripping it to pieces

Mr. Sam

Unfortunately I'm of the half that thought this was pretty dreadful, having seen it last night. I've no problem with the focus being away from Godzilla, but not if everything that isn't Godzilla (and some that is) is just boring, generic dreck, and not if the movie is going to be audacious enough to dicktease the audience again and again without delivering. By the time things did eventually kick off, I was totally uninterested.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Bravo! Perfectly stated.

Ta chuck.

Hi Meat!

Just to be clear, my problems with this film aren't to do with plot holes, they are because it's a badly put together film. I don't have any attachment to the Godzilla series. I wanted to see it based on the awe-inspiring trailer and I feel frustrated that there were moments where I saw the film it might have been. If it had been utter crap I probably wouldn't have cared.

ultrazilla

I saw it opening night in 3-D and the movie delivered! It's everything I had hoped an American Godzilla movie could be.

A few minor complaints like everyone else regarding some of the decisions to cut away from the monster battles just as they're getting going. I've read Edward's reasoning for this and in that context see that it works but it's still annoying for the viewer.

Some of the best special effects work I've seen in a long time and Edwards clearly has an eye for setting up epic, action filled shots.

For the sequel I'd like to see more daytime action shots and kaiju that reside from earth instead of space. I think it's too soon to introduce space born enemies like King Ghidorah or Gigan though I know they're fan favorites. Save any type of "alien" storyline for the third film if the series gets that far.

I'd like to see Ebirarah(crab kaiju), Angilas and Rodan for the sequel.

I think most people who saw the film can agree that the human performances dragged the film down, whether you loved the movie or hated it. We can also probably agree that any moment featuring Godzilla himself was awesome.

The question then becomes does the good outweigh the bad, or vice versa? I still haven't made up my mind on that score.

I am absolutely in agreement with the disappointed ones here.

The trailers were magnificent.

The film...?

I don't understand the decisions made here. For every glimmer of potential there was a ridiculous editorial decision to snuff it out. Why remove characters with depth to focus on a vacuum? Why have a ridiculous stuttering structure instead of just a steady build to a final set piece? Why half-humanise Godzilla but not go full King Kong? Why make dim political allusions but not link them coherently? Why devise a breathtaking and original set piece (the Halo dive) and then negate it with a script that runs out of dialogue after ten minutes? Why assemble a cast with Julienne Binoche, Bryan Cranston, Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins and either kill them off in the first act or force them to play what are effectively silhouettes of human beings?

I don't get this film. It wasn't fun enough to be kitsch. It wasn't clever enough to warrant the use of Ligeti or to half-arsedly nod to Fukushima. It was just a watered-down damp squib. Hollywood strikes again.
Yeah there was definitely a greater potential here. Like I said previously
suicide mission was a really cool angle for Ford and maybe his entire company. Of course Ford is saved and everything is kittens and rainbows in the end.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
suicide mission was a really cool angle for Ford and maybe his entire company. Of course Ford is saved and everything is kittens and rainbows in the end.

See, I'm not sure. Ford was so blatantly a device just to move us from location to location. Even if it had a more downbeat ending, I wasn't invested enough in the character to care.

I'd have liked a tighter, more focused approach, perhaps narrowed on one particular location. But I understand they were going for a globe-spanning disaster movie. It just felt muddled.

Yeah, for a sec I was really hopeful that his character arc would be redeemed at the last second.
Like he'd die in the course of his mission and hammer home the futility of resisting godlike monsters, but of course he lives happily ever after and Godzilla becomes the savior of humanity. If the franchise continues at this pace we'll never get to see Godzilla stomp the crap out of tanks again.

The comparisons to Jurassic Park are bizarre.

When the T-Rex showed up he showed up. He became the front and center of the prolonged scene, and Spielberg knew to not wrest any attention away from the giant creature once he made his entrance. No music, no quick-cuts, no cutaways to other characters doing pointless Action Hero Sploooshunnn shit, nothing. And definitely no cock teases that immediately cut to the aftermath of the good shit you want to see.

I realized after some more thought that the total Godzilla onscreen time wasn't the problem with the movie. It was how the time and pacing was handled. IMO, it was simply handled poorly.

At any rate, I still don't think I hated the movie, or even disliked it. I thought it was OK. Very good highs combined with very bad lows kind of evened each other out for me. Maybe a little disappointed that it could've been so much better based on the very good highs, but maybe I should be just as happy that it wasn't as bad throughout as the very bad lows.

GhaleonEB

Some of you are hilarious.

Talk about "What's with all this ridiculous Hyperbole!" etc etc.

Are the same posters who would trash Emmerich's film in the same manner, which was clearly an overreaction by irrational fanboys to a franchise that really isn't *that* great to begin with.

You can't have it both ways.

GTFO with that hypocritical bullshit.

If you take issue with things people are saying, direct your post as those people and lay out your counter argument. Please do not post broadsides like this, it only damages the discussion.

MrKaepora

Don't know if posted yet, AVGN take on the new Godzilla movie: http://cinemassacre.com/2014/05/17/godzilla-2014-thoughts/

Bonus:

godzilla_king_of_the_monsters-%28comic%29_%281977%29+godzilla_%28film%29_%282014%29-animation_%28the_mightiest_menace%29.gif

manfestival

I saw Godzilla. Liked Pacific Rim much more. I also recall enjoying the 98 Godzilla more than this for the most part. However, the scenes with Godzilla were much better than every other aspect of the film. I know that people here freaked when I said that I enjoyed the 98 Godzilla but it was fine for what it was. This feels more like a faithful adaptation and more of a spectacle.

so I leave you with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvA26p6wMYc

Opto

Banned
Humans were there to have give scale and a bit of empathy to the devastation going on. Making deep and complex characters like those in Mad Men in a Godzilla movie is a waste of time.
I'd argue you have more feels for Godzilla than any character and I think that's an accomplishment of the film rather than a reflection of the characters' design.
I'd rather be left wanting more Godzilla and monster fights than having too much and get bored of the action. That stuff needs to come in quick and fast and peak out.

I'm not honestly sure what some of you people wanted out of this movie.

Trey

Do you really think they could make an entire helicopter invulnerable to EMPs in less than a day? =P It's also way more high profile than a train, it being a flying object and all that.

I'd argue it's far more low profile, considering it's a speck in the sky compared to a speck with a billowing smoke trail ensured to go down a long, linear track.

Monocle

So, tonight is movie night. We can either go to the theatre and watch Godzilla or watch one of a couple hundred Blu-rays. We're going through things we own but haven't watch alphabetically so in the first 40:

1911, Albert Nobbs, Black Swan, Colombiana, Cool Hand Luke, Curse of the Golden Flower.

Any recommendations?
Curse of the Golden Flower is fucking amazing if you're into martial arts extravaganzas with juicy imagery, like Hero.

Godzilla is a good theater experience though.

Don't get me wrong, I adore his roar (rhymes) and love listening to it but in the context and pacing of the movie it felt too much. Godzilla seemed to stand there and roar at things more than ripping it to pieces
How many times have you see the movie? This seems like making up things to complain about, as if we've already exhausted the more obvious "issues." Of course he spent more time fighting than roaring.

I can't recall the exact number, but it only happens when he confronts a MUTO and when he wins. So three times? Four?

Ixion

Humans were there to have give scale and a bit of empathy to the devastation going on. Making deep and complex characters like those in Mad Men in a Godzilla movie is a waste of time.

Why? If you're going to spend time on something, make it good.

I'd rather be left wanting more Godzilla and monster fights than having too much and get bored of the action. That stuff needs to come in quick and fast and peak out.

And then what about the rest of the movie?

I've just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D

In my opinion it's a solid 8/10.

Plot was weak in parts and I do wish they had shown more fighting between the monsters

But visually it was stunning and the sound was fantastic in IMAX surround sound.

My favourite scene was the one where they skydived and had the flares attached to their feet. Visually that was so awesome.

I'd argue you have more feels for Godzilla than any character and I think that's an accomplishment of the film rather than a reflection of the characters' design.

The complexity of the human characters isn't a common complaint in my experience. Rather, the complaint that I have is that the movie lingered on these shallow (by your admission) human characters at the expense of the titular monster.

I agree with you that there's a balance to be struck between epic kaiju battles and human perspective, but I think the movie missed that balance by some distance. Let's recall the original 1954 film. I think a fishing office full of dying wounded that starkly recalls images of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is an important human perspective. A scientist so wracked by guilt that he would almost rather see a city perish than unleash his destructive research on the world is an important human perspective. A zoologist who must weigh the scientific significance of Godzilla against his destructive potential is an important human perspective.

What perspectives are to be found in Godzilla 2014? A boy watching it on the news? A dog tied to a post? A deluge of faceless military grunts barking orders at each other? Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe come close to offering a glimmer of perspective yet somehow fall short. Both seem to be used as mouthpieces to deliver a half-formed post-nuclear parable that doesn't quite pan out. The film seems to decide very early on that Ford Brody is THE perspective to care about, and the story he tells really isn't all that compelling.

To answer your final question, I suppose I expected a film that parallels the original in terms of pace and characterization, albeit with a huge budget. I don't think that was an unrealistic expectation to have after seeing the excellent series of trailers. I dislike being down on my most anticipated movie of the year, but I can't lie about my misgivings either.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I think that's a lazy argument. Why expect things to be the best they can be when we can settle for mediocre?

And as Deified posted, if you're going to hang the film on the human characters and hire Real Actors, it's a legitimate expectation for those characters to be engaging.

Mdk7

My design has been officially approved by Qwertee and it will be on sale soon, in the upcoming days. I'm really happy, a HUGE thank you to my fellow Gaffers who helped me and supported me... cheers guys!

SJRB

Gold Member
My design has been officially approved by Qwertee and it will be on sale soon, in the upcoming days. I'm really happy, a HUGE thank you to my fellow Gaffers who helped me and supported me... cheers guys!

That's awesome!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Good to hear, your work was very impressive.

Congrats! Fantastic artwork and I hope to buy one soon.

Saw it with my gf a second time. I liked it as much as the first time. A few observations:

- GF literally started crying when Binoche died. I have to agree that this moment is ridiculously emotional and it is so weird that the movie starts that way, with emotional tension without Godzilla even being involved.

- Cranston is perfect in the movie. I really can't believe the comments about overacting. On the contrary, Taylor - Johnson is too mundane, and his character is not interesting enough and that in the end drags the film down.

- While it is very interesting that Cranston's death happens so early, I believe that the writers should have found a way to keep him in the movie. I understand that it was sort of difficult as we're talking about biblical catastrophe - scale action (it wouldn't make sense for Cranston to chase Godzilla down while skyscrapers are collapsing), but it was the tragic death of Binoche that provided the movie with a dramatic basis. The journey should be one of redemption for Cranston.

Nevertheless, i really liked the movie. If it had a better screenplay I think it had the potential for a modern monster movie masterpiece, as it was it still is the surprise of the year for me, and it makes Pacific Rim feel so awful in comparison that it makes me feel shame about Del Toro.

I think that's a lazy argument. Why expect things to be the best they can be when we can settle for mediocre?

And as Deified posted, if you're going to hang the film on the human characters and hire Real Actors, it's a legitimate expectation for those characters to be engaging.

I had no problems with Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

He acted frustrated and worried when he was with Brian Cranston, happy around his family and acted like a soldier for the rest. He did a fine job. I'm not sure what everyone wanted/expected from him.

I think most people who saw the film can agree that the human performances dragged the film down, whether you loved the movie or hated it. We can also probably agree that any moment featuring Godzilla himself was awesome.

The question then becomes does the good outweigh the bad, or vice versa? I still haven't made up my mind on that score.

It's rather easy for me to make up my mind about that question, since one of those took up about 90% of the movie.

artist

Banned
Empire has a write-up of Edwards' spolierific discussion about the movie;

THE DECISION TO KILL CRANSTON

“The decision was to kill Joe Brody, the character in the movie [not Bryan Cranston]. Then we were all, ‘Who’s going to play him?’ And you look around, and Bryan’s a phenomenal actor and we thought we’d be blessed if he did it. I’ll be honest with you: we tried versions in the screenplay where he survived. And in every one we did that with, there was nothing else that character could do without being silly. If he sticks with Ford, it becomes Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, and the tone of the movie becomes fun, but not the tone we were trying to do. And if he sticks with the military guys, he’s like a fifth wheel. His job was done in the storyline there. And retrospectively, when you get to see the movie, I understand [why people are upset].

“We did try to make it work. It was “all ideas welcome”, even with Bryan. But as a story beat, he becomes redundant once he’s handed over the baton to the rest of the cast.

“I also wanted people to think, “Oh! They’re willing to do that… Wow, okay. Maybe this isn’t going to end how I think it will.” It throws people a bit. I like that in movies – when you stop thinking they’re going to everything you could predict.”

http://www.empireonline.com/features/godzilla-secrets-gareth-edwards/p2

That and a lot of nice little details in there.

“The decision was to kill Joe Brody, the character in the movie [not Bryan Cranston]. Then we were all, ‘Who’s going to play him?’ And you look around, and Bryan’s a phenomenal actor and we thought we’d be blessed if he did it. I’ll be honest with you: we tried versions in the screenplay where he survived. And in every one we did that with, there was nothing else that character could do without being silly. If he sticks with Ford, it becomes Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, and the tone of the movie becomes fun, but not the tone we were trying to do. And if he sticks with the military guys, he’s like a fifth wheel. His job was done in the storyline there. And retrospectively, when you get to see the movie, I understand [why people are upset].

“We did try to make it work. It was “all ideas welcome”, even with Bryan. But as a story beat, he becomes redundant once he’s handed over the baton to the rest of the cast.

“I also wanted people to think, “Oh! They’re willing to do that… Wow, okay. Maybe this isn’t going to end how I think it will.” It throws people a bit. I like that in movies – when you stop thinking they’re going to everything you could predict.”

I like what they did for this movie, but I also hope they learned what didn't work in this one when they make the sequel.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I agree with all of that, especially their reasons. I have issues with the movie, but that is not one of them in the slightest.

Makes sense and it's true with the way it went. There are some things I think he should change in the sequel, but I loved the build up as well as just the look of the movie. It's not the kind of movie you expect to have so many beautiful to look at scenes but it does.

Also people highly overexaggerate on the cutting to news thing.
there were two fights in the movie. He cuts away from the first one, but we see the second one. I really don't see the problem.

Eh.

If the rest of the characters were even halfway as good, it'd be somewhat reasonable. But they aren't.

I would've taken "indiana jones" over the BS we got any day of the week.

Classic Catch-22, but I'd choose the lesser of two evils

Eh.

If the rest of the characters were even halfway as good, it'd be somewhat reasonable. But they aren't.

I would've taken "indiana jones" over the BS we got any day of the week.

Classic Catch-22, but I'd choose the lesser of two evils

I would hate to see Cranston's character jumping around, avoiding falling obstacles while Johnson screams "Daad! Gotcha!". At least his son is military.

Though I agree with you, that the rest of the characters were not as interesting.

artist

Banned
I would hate to see Cranston's character jumping around, avoiding falling obstacles while Johnson screams "Daad! Gotcha!". At least his son is military.

Though I agree with you, that the rest of the characters were not as interesting.
Dont forget when Godzilla and MUTOs come face to face, Cranston would say SAY MY NAME.

Deadbeat

Banned
The beginning part
scene with his wife dying infront of him was so lame and cheesy. I was honestly expecting the rest of the film to be as bad, but it wasnt.

Dont forget when Godzilla and MUTOs come face to face, Cranston would say SAY MY NAME.

"Now listen up you mutated bastards. I don't care if you are gods, or monsters, or the devil himself. You killed my wife, and YOU.WILL.PAY." que Cranston pressing the button that detonates a bio-acoustic nuclear bomb that he designed (that's why he must be the one that presses that one button) to make the MUTOs go deaf.

Saw it last night in IMAX and loved every second. This is the Godzilla movie I've wanted since I was a kid. Has anyone picked up the Art of Destruction book? Was thinking of going to pick it up today since I'm a huge fan of the art direction in this movie.

An appeal to tradition doesn't make the film suddenly good though. It has issues up the wazoo beyond screen-time.

BruceLeeRoy pointed out that Jurassic Park's dinosaurs account for 14 minutes of the film, yet they were so expertly paced and used to maximum effect that no one's ever complained about the lack of dinos. What does that suggest about Godzilla?
no one is saying that. What it does mean is if one is well acquainted with the structure of Showa Godzilla films, the pacing during this movie didn't feel that foreign. It doesn't make it magically "good", Ive never made that argument. Is it different approach from most modern blockbusters, apparently some felt its was so different it became grating. I didn't have that issue so I can't relate.
Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, I just find it sad that most people on the internet these days is trying too hard to be Red Letter Media while reviewing fantasy and sci-fi movies. EVERYTHING is the most ridiculous and incoherent piece of shit ever.

The movie has flaws, mostly on the acting side, but trying to say this is "the worst ever, a piece of shit" on any category is objectively ridiculous. The movie was well made, to me a 8.5/9 at its best and 6.5/7 at its worst but it is watchable.
I agree with what you're saying, but in the case of RLM...they actually know what they're talking about. When they dissect movies and point out flaws, they do so because they understand the pieces involved when putting a movie together and can articulate why something did or did not work. Your average movie goer will usually equate not liking something to mean it was of poor quality. This obviously isn't the case. When Jay and Mike break things down, they still appreciate when something is done right even if they didn't enjoy the movie as a whole.

They also recommend movies more often than not, despite appearing nitpicky. They both had plenty of issues with the new Hobbit films but both recommended them afterwards. They know the difference between preference and quality.

Saw it last night in IMAX and loved every second. This is the Godzilla movie I've wanted since I was a kid. Has anyone picked up the Art of Destruction book? Was thinking of going to pick it up today since I'm a huge fan of the art direction in this movie.

I was going to get it, but all the pages were cutaways.

Top Bottom